What do you guys think of Hana?

Dinar87

I was looking forward to getting to know characters in fates and one of them was Hana.

Then I saw this support. TBH one "bad" (imo) support doesn't ruin a character but it's still a shame. I admit I overreacted when first making this post but I was just so disappointed that a character I liked design wise seemed annoying.

So does it get any better or anything? I hope so. Edited by Dinar87

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate the fact that she's made of glass and thus I can't use her on EP because she gets 1HKO by every single enemy, I hate glass cannons that are not mages.

Oh wait you mean support wise, yeah her Avatar support sucks, Hinata and Sakura supports are the best ones she has IMO.

Edited by UdoGudo

I hate the fact that she's made of glass and thus I can't use her on EP because she gets 1HKO by every single enemy, I hate glass cannons that are not mages.

Oh wait you mean support wise, her Hinata and Sakura supports are the best ones IMO.

No I didn't mean support wise at all. Sure supports are a part of it but I'd be happy with knowing how this character fares in battles too if possible.

What characters do you like in fates?

Edited by Dinar87

I'm not a fan of her.

Surprisingly, I wasn't that offended by her C support with Kamui, because I have seen that same logic be used in many anime/manga/games over the years. I was more offended by the B support where she took Kamui's words about her father out of context without giving the chance for him to explain. I personally hate when people/characters jump to conclusions; I was taught that making assumptions makes an ass out of u and me. That said, all of her supports aren't garbage, though the only other one I like of hers is with Azama, but that really isn't saying much. A lot of her supports consist of her training to becoming stronger for Sakura; asking the other party why they aren't training harder; them training harder; and some other shit. I mean, the same structure is used for a lot of characters, so it isn't a point against her or anything.

As a unit, she is okay. The typical squishy myrimdon with terri-bad HP growth. I don't like fragile characters. But she hits hard and that's a good thing in BR when you have characters like Rinkah, Tsubaki and (even though I love him) Hinata that have weird growths. She makes them a bit better. Her second seal classes (Onmyoji and Priestess) are decent; getting Renewal and Countermagic is useful, even though her RES is already pretty good. Renewal is okay as long as she doesn't die in one or two hits. Onmyoji gives her nothing of use though, unless you want a magical Hana for some reason.

tl;dr She's an okay unit but I personally don't like her. Use her if you want to. She's fast, hits hard and makes a decent pair up bagpack for people like Tsubaki and Hinata.

My favorite characters in Fates are Hinata, Arthur, Tsubaki, Nyx, Shiro, Leo, Beruka, Mozu, Forrest, Benny, Ignatius, Percy and Shura.

Hana's got a temper. Just look at how she bickers with Subaki when they're first introduced in Birthright! Her other issue is the fact that she immediately decides what the other person is thinking, and reacts accordingly (see: Serious Discussion. . .wait, no, don't do that everyone). In other words, she's what I'd expect out of an immature teenage girl.

Based on what I've heard and seen she seems kind of annoying though not entirely terrible. Will ultimately decide when I actually play fates (which is soon). What about Oboro? Apparently her support with Beruka is one of the best?

Also, Niles looks pretty cool design wise...is he any good?

Edited by Dinar87

Awful support with Corrin aside, I'm surprised by just how little there is to her character, much like Effie. I can't think of a single thing to say about her outside of that one support and her squabble with Tsubaki. It's too bad, really. I rather like her design.

Well I mean, yeah its a pretty bad on her part from the logic she had, but it wouldnt be fair to judge solely on one support, don'tcha say?

It's a really, really poorly written piece of dialogue that reflects badly upon her character, so of course people will bring it up in a discussion about Hana as a character. It's not strange, either, and it happens to a large number of the cast in the series; hell, just look at Soleil's support with Ophelia and how it creeps people out.

I judge Suzukaze very hard because of his moronic reasoning for joining Corrin in Conquest, too, and I don't think it's weird, considering how utterly ridiculous it is. It completely ruined his character for me.

Hana could have been a better unit if Ryoma didn't exist. I have terrible luck using her and their were 10 times where she got hit by a <20% hit rate that get's rid of half her health. She is a great mother as she will give astra or duelist blow very easily. Made Takumi's son in my playthrough insane. Overall pretty low tier but is good in pair ups and is at least better than Hinata.

Hana has a very cute design and her voice acting (in both versions) is really great, that being said I don't like her that much, most of her supports consist on her getting stronger for Sakura, and thus she gets boring after a while. Like I said my favorites for her are a Hinata and Sakura. The one with Subaki also tells how she and Sakura first met him, the rest of the support is just them bickering and competening with one another.

As a unit, besides what I already said, she's a good guard stance partner for anyone who needs speed like Silas, Hinata, Saizo and Keaton. Beyond that her awful bulk is going to hinder her potential as a front unit a lot, If dodgetanking was still a thing in Fates she would be pretty great I guess.

Arthur, Niles, Subaki, Scarlet, Sakura, Leo, Takumi, Hinata, Oboro, Percy, Forrest, Shiro, Ignatious are some of my favs.

Edited by UdoGudo

Based on what I've heard and seen she seems kind of annoying though not entirely terrible. Will ultimately decide when I actually play fates (which is soon). What about Oboro? Apparently her support with Beruka is one of the best?

Also, Niles looks pretty cool design wise...is he any good?

Oboro is pretty much praised here on SF, along with her lord Takumi. It isn't without cause, however, as she is a pretty well-rounded character. Her supports are like any other character; there are some good and there are some bad. I personally enjoyed her supports with Hinata, Mozu, Tsubaki, Benny and Rinkah; I wasn't much of a fan with her support with Berurka. The C/B supports were good, but the A support made Beruka act out of character to uplift Oboro, in my opinion. I typically don't like when characters have to be put down in order to raise another.

Niles . . . is interesting. I personally like him, because he has a pretty decent backstory. The localization toned down the innuendo he spouted; I'm of half a mind about it. I personally thought the naughty words were humorous, but I understand why they took them out. Again, he has good and bad supports; I enjoyed his with Arthur, Mozu, Leo, Nyx, Setsuna, Kamui and Odin, but I wasn't a fan of any other ones. Niles is practically mandatory in Conquest as he is the sole archer (unless you second seal Mozu) and he is a wonderful magic sponge when paired up with Odin/Nyx.

EDIT: I wouldn't rely on dodge tanking. Just use someone you know can take a hit.

Edited by saisymbolic

It's a really, really poorly written piece of dialogue that reflects badly upon her character, so of course people will bring it up in a discussion about Hana as a character. It's not strange, either, and it happens to a large number of the cast in the series; hell, just look at Soleil's support with Ophelia and how it creeps people out.

That support in itself was bad enough, but then they try to insist elsewhere, particularly at the end of her paralogue, that she's a better, more respectful flirt than her father is. And then they throw this support at us, showing her doing something that Laslow would never do and in fact probably could never do without getting the shit kicked out of him.

Oboro is pretty much praised here on SF, along with her lord Takumi. It isn't without cause, however, as she is a pretty well-rounded character. Her supports are like any other character; there are some good and there are some bad. I personally enjoyed her supports with Hinata, Mozu, Tsubaki, Benny and Rinkah; I wasn't much of a fan with her support with Berurka. The C/B supports were good, but the A support made Beruka act out of character to uplift Oboro, in my opinion. I typically don't like when characters have to be put down in order to raise another.

Niles . . . is interesting. I personally like him, because he has a pretty decent backstory. The localization toned down the innuendo he spouted; I'm of half a mind about it. I personally thought the naughty words were humorous, but I understand why they took them out. Again, he has good and bad supports; I enjoyed his with Arthur, Mozu, Leo, Nyx, Setsuna, Kamui and Odin, but I wasn't a fan of any other ones. Niles is practically mandatory in Conquest as he is the sole archer (unless you second seal Mozu) and he is a wonderful magic sponge when paired up with Odin/Nyx.

So oboro is good and niles is great against magic users.

Which characters would you say are the best out of the ones you listed previously? I'm pretty sure that none of the characters are going to be perfect (as in life nothing is) but which do you think are the closest to perfection in your opinion?

IMO her design is kind of boring and her character isn't very interesting, but I think she's decent enough as a unit. Good Speed and Str which I like, solid Res for fighting mages, her only real shortcoming is how squishy her physical Def is, which is a pretty big weakness, but I like that she can safely use weapons other than Practice Katanas in order to double most things (looking at you, Hinata...)

Hinata is good too IMO, don't get me wrong, but I feel like Hana is a little easier to use as long as you're careful about where you leave her (her avo is pretty decent to compensate for her defense though).

EDIT: And dude if this is your first run, don't waste ya time overthinking it and talking to us about it, just get in and play, formulate ya own opinions. The game is pretty replayable, so there's plenty of time for all that on subsequent runs.

Edited by BANRYU

I understand your frustration. It sucks when you stumble upon a support of a character you really like that sours them for you. It also really sucks when a character you like has a really bad support with Corrin, since Corrin is supposed to be your character in a way. For instance, I adore Odin, but I dislike his support line with Female Corrin and especially don't like their S-support (though it's because of Corrin and not him), so I hesitate to marry him.

Hana has a tendency to jump the gun and overreact. I dislike a lot of supports where she does this, though I like her elsewhere. Her support with Saizo is funny, I like her support with Ryoma, and she's a cute character on the battlefield. But her supports can get repetitive as they almost always involve her training. I wish they embraced the more optimistic side of her character instead of having her freak out about everything.

As a unit, I can't make use of her at all. She's such a glass cannon and you kind of have to rely on the enemy missing a lot, which doesn't really happen with this game. If the enemy has a 30% chance or higher to hit me, I pretty much count it as a hit because it almost always happens! Just yesterday, my Jakob was attacked 6 times, 3 attacks around 30% hit rate, the other 3 around 50%. He got hit by every attack. I don't trust dodge tanks in this game at all, and Hana is so fragile she pretty much has to be one. She is very strong, though.

As for Oboro, she's a very well liked character because she sounds tropey on paper (hates Nohrians, has a crush on Takumi), but absolutely isn't as both of these things are well-integrated into her character and don't consume her or her supports. She's a more grounded, realistic character because of that, and she's very likeable all around. As a unit, she's pretty solid if you ask me. She starts with pretty good stats in a good class that isn't very common in the game.

Niles is an interesting character, and one of my favorites. You'll probably like him or hate him since he can come across as a bit of a scumbag at times given his tendency to be crude and torment people he thinks deserve it. His battle lines are hilarious, though, and the voice acting for him is perfect, so it's funny just listening to him talk. As a unit, he's borderline necessary in the standard Conquest run since he's one of the very few bow users in the game, can crush mages, has a WTA against Ninjas which are very common in Conquest, has easy access to Shurikenbreaker, and can use both regular and magic bows. He's always been an essential part of my team, even if his stat growths aren't stellar.

Regarding how "good" units are, though, even if someone says a unit is terrible on the battlefield, I think you should just use whomever you like. People say Subaki, Rinkah, Odin, and Arthur are pretty bad, but I used all four of them, and they were all extremely helpful.

IMO her design is kind of boring and her character isn't very interesting, but I think she's decent enough as a unit. Good Speed and Str which I like, solid Res for fighting mages, her only real shortcoming is how squishy her physical Def is, which is a pretty big weakness, but I like that she can safely use weapons other than Practice Katanas in order to double most things (looking at you, Hinata...)

Hinata is good too IMO, don't get me wrong, but I feel like Hana is a little easier to use as long as you're careful about where you leave her (her avo is pretty decent to compensate for her defense though).

EDIT: And dude if this is your first run, don't waste ya time overthinking it and talking to us about it, just get in and play, formulate ya own opinions. The game is pretty replayable, so there's plenty of time for all that on subsequent runs.

While I see your point, I'm not going to be able to actually play fates for over a week until I can finally get it (for reasons I don't feel comfortable explaining) so topics like this help ease the wait for it. Plus I like chatting online to people who are also interested in fire emblem.

So oboro is good and niles is great against magic users.

Which characters would you say are the best out of the ones you listed previously? I'm pretty sure that none of the characters are going to be perfect (as in life nothing is) but which do you think are the closest to perfection in your opinion?

The closest to perfection? Out of the ones I listed? In my opinion, it would be Forrest.

While he does revolve around a "gimmick," I felt his supports and personality worked out well and it didn't oversaturate everything in an annoying manner. His character is one that is quite inspiring and can be applied to everyday life as well. His relationship with Leo was done well in his recruitment chapter, though I will admit that I felt there was a disconnection between the recruitment chapter and his actual support with Leo. He works well in battle as another magic-user/support, and his personal skill is great as a majority of enemy units are male. Overall, he would be as close to perfection as I could get . . . in my opinion of course.

That said, I wouldn't worry about what character is better. I agree you should use everyone and figure out who you personally like. What I may like may not suit your fancy

Edited by saisymbolic

Hana:

A myrmidon that has good strength, but squishy defenses... Second-best swordmaster to none but Ryoma out of all the possible swordmasters(assuming no heart/partner/friendship seals are used, in which case, Hana's rank among all possible swordmasters drops to third by Kaze), in my opinion...

Edited by shadowjam

I understand your frustration. It sucks when you stumble upon a support of a character you really like that sours them for you. It also really sucks when a character you like has a really bad support with Corrin, since Corrin is supposed to be your character in a way. For instance, I adore Odin, but I dislike his support line with Female Corrin and especially don't like their S-support (though it's because of Corrin and not him), so I hesitate to marry him.

Hana has a tendency to jump the gun and overreact. I dislike a lot of supports where she does this, though I like her elsewhere. Her support with Saizo is funny, I like her support with Ryoma, and she's a cute character on the battlefield. But her supports can get repetitive as they almost always involve her training. I wish they embraced the more optimistic side of her character instead of having her freak out about everything.

As a unit, I can't make use of her at all. She's such a glass cannon and you kind of have to rely on the enemy missing a lot, which doesn't really happen with this game. If the enemy has a 30% chance or higher to hit me, I pretty much count it as a hit because it almost always happens! Just yesterday, my Jakob was attacked 6 times, 3 attacks around 30% hit rate, the other 3 around 50%. He got hit by every attack. I don't trust dodge tanks in this game at all, and Hana is so fragile she pretty much has to be one. She is very strong, though.

As for Oboro, she's a very well liked character because she sounds tropey on paper (hates Nohrians, has a crush on Takumi), but absolutely isn't as both of these things are well-integrated into her character and don't consume her or her supports. She's a more grounded, realistic character because of that, and she's very likeable all around. As a unit, she's pretty solid if you ask me. She starts with pretty good stats in a good class that isn't very common in the game.

Niles is an interesting character, and one of my favorites. You'll probably like him or hate him since he can come across as a bit of a scumbag at times given his tendency to be crude and torment people he thinks deserve it. His battle lines are hilarious, though, and the voice acting for him is perfect, so it's funny just listening to him talk. As a unit, he's borderline necessary in the standard Conquest run since he's one of the very few bow users in the game, can crush mages, has a WTA against Ninjas which are very common in Conquest, has easy access to Shurikenbreaker, and can use both regular and magic bows. He's always been an essential part of my team, even if his stat growths aren't stellar.

Regarding how "good" units are, though, even if someone says a unit is terrible on the battlefield, I think you should just use whomever you like. People say Subaki, Rinkah, Odin, and Arthur are pretty bad, but I used all four of them, and they were all extremely helpful.

Thanks for the detailed response btw! Yeah, it's annoying seeing a character you like design wise just end up annoying though it's far from the end of the world.

Seems like more evidence that dodge tanking sadly isn't very prevalent in fates...hopefully fe15 fixes this as it'd save characters like Hana.

It's good to see characters that have traits that don't consume their entire personality *glares at kellam from awakening*

Yeah, Niles seems pretty funny with how crude he is.

Will do. I just want to talk about fates online as it eases the wait for me actually getting the game in about 11 days.

Edited by Dinar87

So is dodge tanking gone in fates? That's a bit disappointing if true as it was extremely fun to do in earlier games.

It's largely gone. Dodge tanking is only a thing if there's a huge difference in stats (very unlikely if playing through the story). Even then, there are skills and hazards that do guaranteed fixed damage (Dusk Dragon, Savage Blow, Grisly Wound, hazard terrain) and you'd want to consider investing in Vantage. Female avatars generally have an easier time dodge tanking due to having access to Awakening and being able to S-rank Jakob for stat boosts and Evasive Partner personal skill.

I was initially soured on Hana because of her support with Corrin, too, which is a shame, because she has some pretty great supports with other characters. She holds her own (and rightly argues) with Jakob and Silas, she has thoughtful (and non-typical for the other party) conversations with Felicia and Setsuna (definitely brings out the best in Setsuna!), the background she provides in her supports with Kaze and Sakura prove that she's a pretty strong character, and she has several good romance options.

I was initially soured on Hana because of her support with Corrin, too, which is a shame, because she has some pretty great supports with other characters. She holds her own (and rightly argues) with Jakob and Silas, she has thoughtful (and non-typical for the other party) conversations with Felicia and Setsuna (definitely brings out the best in Setsuna!), the background she provides in her supports with Kaze and Sakura prove that she's a pretty strong character, and she has several good romance options.

Well that's good to hear. Though I've seen a bit of Hana x Silas support and I'm wondering why Silas let her off with her "my relationship cannot be described in words" when she was specifically asked to do so. Since they were competing at the time wouldn't it of made sense for Silas to laugh at her or something as she couldn't rise up to the challenge? On the other hand, he DID say it was the same for him with corrin so maybe that's why. But I don't know...it just seemed weird to me.

Hana ? She's a freaking monster. She's a typical glasscannon, with high Str, Skl and Spd growths, and she's very frail, her Def and HP are very low, her Res and Lck growth are below average but still not enough (40 and 35% in her base class). So she's extremely gimmicky since she's essentially a Player Phase unit, because you can't let her in enemies' range, but she's extremely powerful during your turn thanks to her skills. She has natural access to almost any skill she'd want, Duelist's Blow grants her +30 Avoid when she triggers a fight (which makes her untouchable during your turn), Astra (for maximum damage output, it will trigger quite often with her high SKL and each hit can crit), Swordfaire (same), and Life and Death (+ 10 damage dealt and taken, but you don't care since she won't take a hit anyway). I gave her an Exalt's Brand (access to Great Lord), because she loves GL lasts skills, Aether (instead of Astra then) and especially Awakening (+ 30 Avoid, Dodge, Crit and Hit when under 50% HP). A good strategy with Awakening is to let her get under 50% HP, to get all the bonuses. She'll basically have +60 Avoid (+70 with Swordmaster's bonus), +30 Crit (+40), and +30 Hit, so she'll crush anything that would stand in her way. Don't forget the Dual Katana that reverses and doubles the Weapon Triangle (very tricky too, because she'd be slaughtered by Axe-wielders if you let them attack her but will destroy Ninjas and Lancers) and some other Katanas that would be useful (Hagakure Blade, Steel Katana, etc.)

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt