Jump to content
geozeldadude

do you think people who are not FE-obsessed fans will buy this game?

Recommended Posts

If it has a support system and plenty of difficulty mode options and none of the characters have terrible growth rates I think it'll do fine. If it lacks a support system, lacks difficulty mode options beyond what has been revealed (classic/casual split) and keeps growth rates as faithful as base stats have been it'll be kind of rough for new fans in the same way that SD was. I guess at least its art style will be less controversial and gaiden already had a more interesting story than FE1. Old fans likely won't care for it without difficulty options either, at the very least.

 

Basically, hard to say at this point. There's potential for both new and old fans to hate it, but in my opinion the story of gaiden could end up being among the strongest in the series with the right fixes to pacing, the right amount of show instead of tell for the arguments against Mila, and more development for the supporting cast (support conversations). At its core it's a strong Shakespearean tragedy that I think people could really get into. And, if all of that is strong enough I think people will overlook some of the weirdness in its gameplay so long as the growths are touched up a bit for the people who want to see numbers go up at each level up.

 

I will also add that while we can say that they've been faithful so far from what screenshots have shown we don't know what they've changed or, where we do know what they've changed we don't know how it'll affect things. For instance, there are road tiles on the map with the graves now. In FE4 road tiles gave -avoid and if they added -avoid tiles to gaiden's design it would help a lot of maps a ton. Imagine if instead of being +20 avoid all of the floor tiles are -20, for instance. Graves being +60 is sensible enough. There's also the food--we don't know what it does yet, but if it boosts skill, boosts growth rates momentarily or can reduce casting HP cost or all sorts of other stuff that would also alleviate some mechanics. It'd be an interesting way to handle making a game both faithful and balancing it since you could choose not to use the food items for a faithful experience or use them for an updated one. I dunno, too early to tell at this stage.

Edited by lysander
additional clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lysander said:

If it has a support system and plenty of difficulty mode options and none of the characters have terrible growth rates I think it'll do fine. If it lacks a support system, lacks difficulty mode options beyond what has been revealed (classic/casual split) and keeps growth rates as faithful as base stats have been it'll be kind of rough for new fans in the same way that SD was. I guess at least its art style will be less controversial and gaiden already had a more interesting story than FE1. Old fans likely won't care for it without difficulty options either, at the very least.

 

Basically, hard to say at this point. There's potential for both new and old fans to hate it, but in my opinion the story of gaiden could end up being among the strongest in the series with the right fixes to pacing, the right amount of show instead of tell for the arguments against Mila, and more development for the supporting cast (support conversations). At its core it's a strong Shakespearean tragedy that I think people could really get into. And, if all of that is strong enough I think people will overlook some of the weirdness in its gameplay so long as the growths are touched up a bit for the people who want to see numbers go up at each level up.

 

I will also add that while we can say that they've been faithful so far from what screenshots have shown we don't know what they've changed or, where we do know what they've changed we don't know how it'll affect things. For instance, there are road tiles on the map with the graves now. In FE4 road tiles gave -avoid and if they added -avoid tiles to gaiden's design it would help a lot of maps a ton. Imagine if instead of being +20 avoid all of the floor tiles are -20, for instance. Graves being +60 is sensible enough. There's also the food--we don't know what it does yet, but if it boosts skill, boosts growth rates momentarily or can reduce casting HP cost or all sorts of other stuff that would also alleviate some mechanics. It'd be an interesting way to handle making a game both faithful and balancing it since you could choose not to use the food items for a faithful experience or use them for an updated one. I dunno, too early to tell at this stage.

If the food means they are adding in a hunger system, I'm out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AsherCrane said:

If the food means they are adding in a hunger system, I'm out. 

Yeah, that would be a tough pill to swallow for me as well.

Cooking bonuses would be nice, but if it's required, like stamina in Thracia, I wouldn't be happy. I love stamina is Thracia, but this is Gaiden and of all the things to change in this game, adding a hunger system is waaaayyyy dumb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far I don't see why they wouldn't. If a more casual fan enjoyed Fire emblem Awakening and Fates then I don't see why they would deliberately snub another Fire emblem game. If they liked the last Fire emblem games then them finding the new Fire emblem interesting sounds more logical than the alternative.

Its true that there are some people who play Fire emblem just for the ''waifu's'' but I don't think that group is as large as people think it is. Its not like the pairing mechanics of Awakening and Fates are all that deep.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Etr:

It doesn't matter that they aren't deep. In fact, some would argue that this being the case is the reason behind their success. Junk food and all that jazz. Also, they'd snub it for bringing attention back to the parts of the franchise that aren't like Awakening and Fates. Kind of like how a decent chunk of the English speaking fans would snub any of the pre-Awakening games that weren't officially released in English (and even some that were) while treating a certain duo among them as if they are sacred cows. Same deal with the aforementioned "casual fans" in relation to Awakening and Fates.

Edited by RedEyedDrake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2017 at 1:14 AM, phineas81707 said:

I read that and think 'that is completely stupid', yet know this exact situation is far too likely. There was a review of Conquest that complained about the lack of between-chapter grinding and the game's difficulty when doing a challenge run.

...My prediction will be at least one reviewer will make this complaint. Hopefully there will be a reviewer that does not, and the buyers using the reviews as a tool to be informed will recognise the backlash the former will create in the comments section, and be directed to the latter.

Probably.

Although, SoV has the argument of being a remake of FE2.

In fact, I've seen multible instances of previews regarding Gaiden as the Zelda 2 of the FE franchise (as good but different from the series formula), the fact it's a remake is all over the advertising. So, I'm leaning towards a more optimistic outlook of reviewers being warned this doesn't follow the mold set by Awakening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2017 at 7:49 PM, AsherCrane said:

If the food means they are adding in a hunger system, I'm out. 

Oh, don't even say that. That would be a horrible decision on IS's part. I just hope that the food system adds stat bonuses or temporary skills. I don't mind micromanaging things, but I absolutely despise "needy" mechanics in games. Stamina was well done in Thracia 776, but it wouldn't work in Gaiden, the cast is too small.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping it's just a carry-over of the woefully underutilized mess hall system of Fates. Remove the random factor of which units get bonuses, and Food abuse could become a useful/vital tool for Lunatic modes.

May also be the new way of self healing with items.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think anyone looking for a solid JRPG with tactical/simulation gameplay would probably be interested in this game. I see it as being very newbie-friendly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2017 at 11:11 PM, Slumber said:

The sales of this game will definitely be telling of how the series will probably sell going forward, but I don't think you need to be FE-obsessed to buy it. Awakening and Fates introduced this series to a lot of people, and even people who were casually enjoying those games may choose to pick this one up, because, hey. It's more Fire Emblem.

I don't think people finishing all versions of Fates will be the only people considering this game. To some degree, I suspect there was a lot of burnout in Fates. While the mechanics were good and it was a good game, it was like, 90 hours of the EXACT same game mechanics, playing through the same story multiple times in different ways. Echoes, on the other hand, offers a new(Old) gameplay experience. New characters, new story, new everything, compared to Awakening and Fates.

If people are still super attached to Awakening like your friend, I think they're in the minority. Fates sold pretty close, so I don't think there are that many people who have yet to get over Awakening.

Fates actually sold more than awakening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NnifWald said:

Fates actually sold more than awakening.

I always see this and I want to know where that's coming from, just to know where the currents numbers are at, as VGchartz still has Awakening ahead of Fates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dayni said:

I always see this and I want to know where that's coming from, just to know where the currents numbers are at, as VGchartz still has Awakening ahead of Fates.

VGchartz only tracks physical sales, and Fates almost assuredly sold WAY more digitally, given how that game was sold.

That said, official numbers from Nintendo, including both digital and physical(With Awakening selling more), say that they both sold way less than even VGchartz reports with only physical copies, so I don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2017 at 3:16 AM, Ryo said:

I don't expect SoV to sell as many as Awakening and Fates and I don't think IS need that either (although I definitely wouldn't be surprised if it did), since I think this is intended to be a "filler project" for them to milk more money while they're working on FE Switch.

Exactly why I'm not buying it. Half-assed shit is what I think it will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

99% sure the Food system will just be a substitute for Vulneraries given that they are absent in this game. Given that food seems to be a greater focus, I'm suspecting its going to be used to heal health in between battles as well, though this is probably unlikely

Also, I doubt this game will sell that well given that the switch is on the horizon. I'm also 90% sure most mainstream reviewers like IGN will rate this game lower than Fates and Awakening due to the lack of elements most people here want gone (namely Children and the MU) given that those mechanics usually received a good amount of praise from these reviewers and were labeled as selling points for both those games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

99% sure the Food system will just be a substitute for Vulneraries given that they are absent in this game. Given that food seems to be a greater focus, I'm suspecting its going to be used to heal health in between battles as well, though this is probably unlikely

Also, I doubt this game will sell that well given that the switch is on the horizon. I'm also 90% sure most mainstream reviewers like IGN will rate this game lower than Fates and Awakening due to the lack of elements most people here want gone (namely Children and the MU) given that those mechanics usually received a good amount of praise from these reviewers and were labeled as selling points for both those games.

You're right, and also the fact that this is not being advertised that well, it is expected that it won't sell well compared with Awakening and Fates. But I'm buying this nonetheless since I haven't played the original Gaiden, I'm curious what makes it stand out  different from standard FE games

Edited by Ser Arthur Dayne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they're sticking to going for authenticity to the original experience over updating the game for a modern audience...yeah, I can definitely not see that going over well, considering that Gaiden shows its age in a lot of its mechanics and design, which can be frustrating at best.

Though from what we've seen so far, I don't think we'll quite be getting another Shadow Dragon (we're at least getting story cutscenes that are fully voiced), but I can only hope they expand the script, plot, and characterization from the original game, which they seem to be doing in at least the first two cases, with the addition of the childhood scenes of Alm and Celica.

I'm afraid it simply won't hold peoples' interest in the way Shadow Dragon failed to do if they keep it as bare-bones as the Famicom stuff. But I hope they learned from their mistake on that front.

Considering Gaiden at its core was a very experimental game even for its time, it's going to be a very different experience from the previous games, and even POR and RD, Blazing Blade and Sacred Stones.Can only hope people are intrigued by the new mechanics rather than put-off by them.


 

Edited by Extrasolar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking as a casual fan, I'm not really hyped for SoV. Actually is there any hype at all? After the greatest that is LoZ:Botw, SoV look so stale compared to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that there will definitely be people interested in buying the game for a variety of reasons.  I'm unsure and can't form any opinions on how well it will sell.  However, with the recent mobile game, as well as Awakening/Fates, doing well, I think that Echoes will attract new people to the series out of curiosity.  I know a few people who have little to no fire emblem exposure past the mobile game that are interested in picking up a copy of Echoes.

As a side question, does anybody think that the gameplay style and mechanics of Echoes may deter people that bounced in on Awakening and Fates?  I myself have had very little exposure to Gaiden and am curious as to what people who have played it think.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My one friend who isn't a big FE player is really excited for this game. I've seen other people being excited for it. I think it will just be a bit of an eye opener for those expecting Echoes to be like Awakening and Fates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After seeing this recent gameplay footage im pretty sure that Echoes can hold a position as a good game on its own in my opinion . Its gampelay structure is flexible enough for various players preferences outside the FE franchise and its visuals, artstyle and voicework are good to attract attention. If Nintendo gves some extra advertising tha the usual i think Shadows of Valentia will be able to reach a good spotlight in the media, but i still see posibilities of backfire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I saw one guy post on a different website that he won't buy this game because it doesn't have Phoenix Mode. All I can say to that is, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ranger Jack Walker said:

Well, I saw one guy post on a different website that he won't buy this game because it doesn't have Phoenix Mode. All I can say to that is, lol.

That doesn't surprise me in the least. I also expect topics to pop up about people complaining that there's no Avatar, or "Why can't I make Alm/Celica marry this guy/this girl?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a friend who got into FE through FE7 after I ranted and raved about it. She loved Awakening and Fates, I didn't like Awakening but I'm liking Conquest, and she said that without supports she's not interested in this game. I've seen many similar comments.

I'm trying to be optimistic but I can see most newer fans looking at how different this game is and not buying it, which means the game won't be successful, which means no more remakes.

I'm excited though. I love the art style, the music, what I've seen of gameplay so far, it all looks so good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we've seen that characters now chat before and randomly during battles with the recent gameplay vids, so it seems supports are in, but are back to the older GBA style of occurring in battle.

 

Honestly, I'm gonna miss the My Castle system, both for the customizable home base with side goodies and the multiplayer aspect it brought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...