What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

14 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

She's basically the Archanea equivalent of Lilina in FE6, though I'd argue Lilina is more relevant due to the first story arc being about rescuing her and her being needed to find Durandal.  

Yes, she's promoted quite a bit as far as the Archanea characters go.  But she's not nearly as relevant as Peach is to Mario, appearing in notable roles in only 4 games (two of which are remakes) as opposed to however many super prominent roles Peach has that I'm not even going to bother counting.  Mario is also a FAR bigger franchise and the face of Nintendo.  Not including it's core cast (that is, Mario, Peach, Bowser, and Luigi) would be a disservice to it for Melee on.  

As another note on Caeda: since they can't put a lot of Fire Emblem characters in, chances are they want to spread the representation over several games.  Lucina is an exception, but she's also an alternate costume that was tweaked into a full character.  You can't do that with Caeda.  

If you don't like Peach, fine.  But you're kidding yourself if you honestly think Caeda is near her level of relevance or are remotely surprised Peach has a spot when Caeda does not.

There's a pretty long list of playable FE females who are more important to to their games than Caeda.

FE2/15: Celica

FE4: Deirdre, Julia

FE5: Briggid/Eyvel, Nanna

FE6: Lilina(Barely), Fae

FE7: Lyn, Ninian

FE8: Eirika

FE9: Titania, Mist, Elincia

FE10: Micaiah, Elincia, Mist, Sanaki

FE13: Lucina, Tiki

FE14: Any of the female siblings

Edited by Slumber

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@SlumberTiki in Awakening? She's my favorite FE character and all, but I don't think she offered too much to the plot then. She just woke up to give the Fire Emblem and a gemstone to Chrom and is recruitable on an optional map. I'd argue her younger self was more relevant to the plot (at least maybe more than Caeda) with the whole insanity angle in Mystery and "other best choice against Medeus".

Also, I think Fae was pretty relevant to Binding Blade given she's part of a big wake-up call to Roy and co. that not all dragons are bad and she's apparently a factor in Roy not willing to outright kill the final boss with the Binding Blade.

Just now, NoirCore said:

@SlumberTiki in Awakening? She's my favorite FE character and all, but I don't think she offered too much to the plot then. She just woke up to give the Fire Emblem and a gemstone to Chrom and is recruitable on an optional map. I'd argue her younger self was more relevant to the plot (at least maybe more than Caeda) with the whole insanity angle in Mystery and "other best choice against Medeus".

Also, I think Fae was pretty relevant to Binding Blade given she's part of a big wake-up call to Roy and co. that not all dragons are bad and she's apparently a factor in Roy not willing to outright kill the final boss with the Binding Blade.

Doesn't Tiki sort of act as the voice of Naga in Awakening? So even if she's basically a walking telephone to Naga, that's still more than Caeda does.

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Doesn't Tiki sort of act as the voice of Naga in Awakening? So even if she's basically a walking telephone to Naga, that's still more than Caeda does.

Ehhh... I don't think that affected the plot, regardless. I guess calling the people in prayer for the conflict to end was something...question mark? Like, did anything come of that?

I would like Tiki in Smash, though, in spite of the criticisms against FE having too many characters. Her dragon form at least shouldn't be too big. :P

I will say this now since a lot of people think I hate FE6 and I'll say this one last time, I don't hate it.

I find it very frustrating for a game designed on a handheld. I can't imagine a casual gamer playing this without save states. Maps are long until end game, the game has horrible balance both unit wise and weapon wise and it just has a bland presentation. That's it. I don't hate the story and while the game hardly has major plotholes, the way its presented makes the story almost forgettable. Is there even a reason why this game gives you so many units that almost have no relevance to the overall plot?

I mean I get that the game is suppose to give you replaceable units so that you are not stuck on an unwinnable situation, but a good chunk of them are either not anywhere as good as the dead ones( Dieck will always be better than Ogier) or just end up being better than the unpromoted ones you're stuck with( Percival > Alance)

The music is the best thing about the game and is arguably the best of all FE music even if the GBA quality is somewhat underwhelming here and there

I get why people like it due to its challenge but that means nothing if the game isn't balanced enough to compromise it. 

There..end of the story. and I'm not gonna argue about the game any further. I hope that the game does get a remake and fixes all the issues I have with the original.

9 hours ago, Harvey said:

Is there even a reason why this game gives you so many units that almost have no relevance to the overall plot?

The same reason every other Fire Emblem game gives you units with little to no plot relevance, making sure the player has units.  FE6 isn't the only game that does this and it won't be the last.

If you were playing FE6 with only units actually relevant to the plot in some way, you'd be stuck with just the following:

• Roy
  • Merlinus
  • Saul, and Dorothy by extension
  • Lilina
  • Elffin
  • Cecilia
  • Sophia
  • Perceval
  • Douglas
  • Niime
  • Yoder
  • Miledy, I guess?  Not sure if I count her.

And some of those are stretching it.

Edited by Glaceon Mage
I forgot Elffin lol

2 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

The same reason every other Fire Emblem game gives you units with little to no plot relevance, making sure the player has units.  FE6 isn't the only game that does this and it won't be the last.

If you were playing FE6 with only units actually relevant to the plot in some way, you'd be stuck with just the following:

• Roy
  • Merlinus
  • Saul, and Dorothy by extension
  • Lilina
  • Cecilia
  • Sophia
  • Perceval
  • Douglas
  • Niime
  • Yoder
  • Miledy, I guess?  Not sure if I count her.

And some of those are stretching it.

That is true..but in FE6 case, it seems a bit exaggerated where you get unit by unit for each and every chapter.

Honestly, I wouldn't say that the Binding Blade cast is particularly disconnected to the plot compared to other games. Of course, there's the occasional case like Fir, Gonzales, or Karel, who don't really have any personal interest in any of the conflicts Roy is involved in, but most of the time, characters have a good reason to join Roy and stay with him. Some seek revenge against Bern (Lugh, Chad, maybe Raigh, Rutger), you have Ellen and Milady who are loyal to Guinivere, the Lycian and Ostian retainers, some mercenaries (the profession, not the class) that have been hired by Eliwood or Hector... Most of the time, it doesn't seem too farfetched for the characters to stay with Roy's army until the end of the game.

There are a few exceptions, sure - you might wonder if the members of the Résistance would rather return to their home after the Etruria arc is resolved, and using Fae as a fighter is all kinds of wrong, but the former is certainly preferable to units just walk away after a few chapters, and the Little Dragon Girl is (for better or worse) a recurring archetype in Fire Emblem.

All in all, I really think that FE6 is completely ordinary in that regard. Looking at Sacred Stones, which has only 33 recruitable characters (excluding CC exclusives) - it still has characters like Ross, Garcia, Neimi, Colm, Artur and Lute, who Eirika just happens to pick up on her journey and who are basically gone from the story as soon as they're recruited.

Hmm.

• Fates' writing isn't that bad.
  • I don't mind shipping/marriage.
  • I don't get the hype of Reinhardt. What's so special about him?
  • Libra is as bland/one-dimensional and boring than Cordelia, Cherche and Chrom. "DURR I'M A MAN!!" yeah don't care.
  • I like Kana more than Morgan.
  • I LOATHE that stupid waifu/husbando execution crap with a passion. 

24 minutes ago, carhisalmano said:

I don't get the hype of Reinhardt. What's so special about him?

He's a ridiculously good player phase threat in Heroes, one of the best in the game.  3 move, 2 attack range, personal 9 might Brave weapon on top of pretty good base attack.  And he benefits from Horse buffs, even coming with one to help support teammates.

+Atk Reinhardt with Death Blow 3 and Lancebreaker can one round pretty much all reds, almost every blue/colorless, and even some greens.  

And that's basically the source of his sudden popularity surge making him Thracia's most well known character.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

On 8/27/2017 at 5:16 AM, Slumber said:

There's a pretty long list of playable FE females who are more important to to their games than Caeda.

FE2/15: Celica

FE4: Deirdre, Julia

FE5: Briggid/Eyvel, Nanna

FE6: Lilina(Barely), Fae

FE7: Lyn, Ninian

FE8: Eirika

FE9: Titania, Mist, Elincia

FE10: Micaiah, Elincia, Mist, Sanaki

FE13: Lucina, Tiki

FE14: Any of the female siblings

I would argue La'Rachel. She's off doing her own thing before joining up with you, and comes up with the final plan to stop Fomortiis once Lyon takes the Renais Sacred Stone from Eirika/Ephraim. And maybe Lethe for FE9. Lethe is Ike's first contact with Laguz, exposition machine of Laguz slavery through her support with Jill, the most common Laguz to speak up whenever somebody's getting a bit racist, and a walking litmus test of whether laguz and beorc will ever get along, given how tsun tsun she is at the start. I would also remove Mist from both games. She doesn't help out on the same level as Titania, and doesn't provide any relevant dialogue as far as I recall. She helps heal Lucia in 10, I guess.

Otherwise, great list.

Edited by Glennstavos

4 hours ago, Hero_Lucina said:

I like him because he's a villian and everyone else likes him cuz he's op 

He's also one of the more noteworthy Camus archetypes and he's so powerful that people in his game call him the reincarnation of Tordo.

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

He's also one of the more noteworthy Camus archetypes and he's so powerful that people in his game call him the reincarnation of Tordo.

Still doesn't stop my sleep staff from putting that ass to sleep and to get his sister another one of her op tome

• Azama is hilarious, and his sense of humour is EXACTLY how my friends and I talk to each other. So it's super weird to see people getting actually offended tbh? (I guess we're just quirky, LOL.)
  • Peggos have a tendency to be the most obnoxious characters in the games, in every game. Shooting them down is fun.
  • Peri isn't so bad. She's easy to ignore if you don't like her anyway, but I think she has a couple funny/surreal moments, and I like her design.
  • I adore the colour palette of the GBA games. It feels very acid trip-y, and I wish they would reimplement it somehow.
  • Awakening has one of the blandest casts imo. There are a few characters I really enjoy, but the majority of them seem like one quirk stretched out way too far. Also, Lucina is boring as hell and has no business being a hype man for the series.
  • I knooooooow it's a fantasy universe that actually has multiple gods, but every time they say "gods" as an expletive, my immersion is immediately broken. It sounds so annoying and forced.
  • The diverse art styles in Heroes are actually pretty cool, a few exceptionally poorly drawn characters notwithstanding. They only look so weird because we aren't used to them, I think.
  • I would normally never use this term...but Frey is daddy.

On 3/9/2017 at 8:07 PM, familyplayer said:

Still doesn't stop my sleep staff from putting that ass to sleep and to get his sister another one of her op tome

Why not just warpskip the chapter and save Sleep for the last 2 chapters?

On 3/9/2017 at 3:12 PM, Glaceon Mage said:

He's a ridiculously good player phase threat in Heroes, one of the best in the game.  3 move, 2 attack range, personal 9 might Brave weapon on top of pretty good base attack.  And he benefits from Horse buffs, even coming with one to help support teammates.

+Atk Reinhardt with Death Blow 3 and Lancebreaker can one round pretty much all reds, almost every blue/colorless, and even some greens.  

And that's basically the source of his sudden popularity surge making him Thracia's most well known character.

Reinhardt is slowly becoming the Captain Falcon of Fire Emblem. Goes from obscure nothingness to a meme.

I prefer Jill over Haar in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.

I know a lot of people like Haar. And don't get me wrong, I like Haar too. But Jill is far more interesting, if a bit of an unorthodox pick. Her character development is by far the most interesting in the entire game and her support conversation with Mist is one of my absolute favorites. A lot of fans have said that Jill is less useful than Haar due to her low level when she arrives in your party. They're not wrong either. She's severely under leveled and has abysmal hit rates that would make FE: Fates proud. So much so I had to build a weapon specifically to have a high hit rate just so she wouldn't miss all the freaking time.

But I think that Rocky Balboa kind of build to what Jill eventually becomes is what I like about her. She starts off as a below, BELOW average character, but with a little time, effort, and the eventual sending her to murder her own father with tears streaming down her eyes, she eventually becomes a pretty good powerhouse and a wyvern rider with a decent amount of speed to back it up. While I don't expect this to change anyone's mind, maybe you'll see why I enjoy a character who, for the most part, unless you are having her get all the kills in the Dawn Brigade chapters, she is freaking useless.

Honestly not sure how many of these are actually unpopular, but they at least feel somewhat uncommon from what I've seen:

• While not my favorite Whitewing, I think Est is one of the most interesting and well-written characters in the series, let alone in Marth's games. Most of this comes from her supports in New Mystery, but some of her lines in Echoes fit perfectly with her dialogue there. Her ending in New Mystery is also perfectly reasonable given her supports, though I can't say if they intended the same in the original Mystery.
  • New Mystery and Thracia have my favorite casts, thanks mainly to having more subdued personalities and designs.
  • I really like that the magic stat in Thracia doubles as a unit's resistance. It gives physical units more reason to have varying magic growths than just using a magical two-range weapon. The idea of capturing and stealing from units was also cool, and helped to give a unit's con/build more purpose, though I think it could be implemented better in the future. Really, most of the unique ideas from Thracia could be great if they were tweaked in newer games, which looks unlikely at this point.
  • Perhaps somewhat contradicting my last point, I prefer the simpler gameplay of games like 6, 11, and 12 compared to the more complex games. I do like the variety that things such as skills can bring, but I find that more straightforward games are just more fun to play. It's probably why I normally prefer platformers to RPGs, Fire Emblem and most Falcom games aside.
  • Path of Radiance feels way slower than either Genealogy or Thracia, though it still beats out the original Shadow Dragon and Gaiden.
  • Speaking of Gaiden, I like the original final map theme a bit more than the Echoes version. Both are outstanding, but the original has a more prominent percussion that gets lost in Echoes.
  • One more for both Gaiden and Echoes: while the map design is clunky, I think that adds a lot of character. They feel designed to put the player at a disadvantage, forcing an uncomfortable approach in order to get past them. Games 1 through 6 all have that feeling to some extent, though the fact that they're more easily cheesed through hurts them a bit. The final map for Gaiden and Echoes is also my favorite final map because of this: the whole thing feels specifically designed to fight against and annoy the player, which is probably bad from a game design perspective, but makes perfect sense from a narrative perspective.
  • I like FE6 and its cast (for the most part), but Echidna is way too cool design- and character-wise compared to everyone else, and actually feels out of place because of it. She seems more fitting in the world of Path of Radiance.

6 hours ago, Chad Radwell said:

I knooooooow it's a fantasy universe that actually has multiple gods, but every time they say "gods" as an expletive, my immersion is immediately broken. It sounds so annoying and forced.

I guess the best way to look at it is the Japanese view of what a god is. Which, from what I've picked up from all time with JRPGs (because 99% involve killing a god along the way), is that it's still a somewhat mortal being, but its power is so strong that it is like the more American (or rather Christian) view of what a god is. Still doesn't mean it won't sound stupid though. They really should mention that gods in these games (I mean FE) 90% of the time are divine dragons, but they only mention it half the time. 

Since I've read the wiki enough and whatched some full playthroughs of the 3DS games:

Awakening was a mistake:

God, how I hate shipping and shit. In Genealogy of the Holy War the Love mechanic was awesome simply because the game takes places in 2 different generations, this's neat af. On Awakening and Fates this's simply for fanservice and the kids besides Lucina are quite literal Side Quests. I like the Support system, but either implement it like Genealogy of the Holy War or the other games with canon pairings and/or max ranked support marriage duing the ending credits.

Story:

I found all stories boring and cliche, in almost all the games they are the same told but told slightly differently, Royality-Emperor-Dragon. I think this's easily fixed by change of settings though.

Fanservice:

Here comes the hypocrisy. Nekkid shiny jpegs, and "questionable" choice of vestments people are eye candy, touching your partner is not "creepy".

Localisation =/= Censorship:

One doesn't necessary means the other, the changes Nintendo made were not only awkward, it left a bitter taste on a lot of people mouths and worst of it all, the games were still rated T by ESRB. Leave the japanese part of our japanese RPGs alone.

Shadow Dragon is just ungly, it's a decent game.

I never understood the whole "relatability" aspect in terms of characters. How do you relate to the equivalent of the medieval times? I won't deny that some may relate to a character's kindness or generic traits like that, but the deeper stuff? It's like, I don't even consider the avatars, well, avatars. They're more like individual characters for me. And I don't see how people can project themselves on characters too? I don't want to sound big headed and all, but there's no sweet way of putting all of this.

Ike would have worked better as at least a minor noble instead of a peasant.

Reyson is criminally underrated, and it's a shame as he is probably one of, if not the best Tellius character.

Chrom is one of the best lords, being rather down-to-earth, and while he's too trusting for his own good, he figures out how to deal with his problems.