New Interview with the Devs.

Truthblade

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

Theres an ok number, but they just happened to pick the 3 games where there aren't many popular axe users outside of Camilla, Cherche & Minerva

That's actually a big concern of mine. Either they go big on the female wyvrens and leave us with very similar characters in the gameplay department or they feel forced to add some foot axe users. Arthur and Charlotte are the only one of such axe users I wouldn't deem extremely questionable additions. 

They could always try Walhard if they wouldn't mind there already being an axe wielding pony in the game. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

That's actually a big concern of mine. Either they go big on the female wyvrens and leave us with very similar characters in the gameplay department or they feel forced to add some foot axe users. Arthur and Charlotte are the only one of such axe users I wouldn't deem extremely questionable additions. 

Charlotte counts as popular too, forgot that she's in the top 10 of Fates females until you mentioned her oops.

fire_emblem_fates_characters.jpg

Edited by Jedi

18 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

They could always try Walhard if they wouldn't mind there already being an axe wielding pony in the game. 

He is technically a different class so he might get more unique moves.

What about Rinkah and Gunter? They seem pretty close to the main story for a bit. I'm not too enthusiastic about the idea of Gunter since I'm practically convinced  that he will be another Frederick, but a pyromancer axe weilder could really spice things up in variety. (Pun not intended)

Any news on knife users and beast stones?

Edited by Martin

6 minutes ago, Martin said:

Any news on knife users and beast stones?

warriors-convoy.jpg

Old screenshot but theres no hidden weapons/knives, theres stones though but I mostly assume Dragonstones as neither the Awakening or Fates shapeshifters outside of Dragons got that much popularity.

Edited by Jedi

1 minute ago, Martin said:

Huh, I guess that's a no to the ninjas and butlers/maids unless they treat knives  swords. 

My thought is that they might do that honestly, because people like Jakob, Kaze and such are kind of odd omissions if IS is making them do alot of the roster by popularity. 

Assuming that the siblings are included, that's already eight slots taken. I wouldn't be that shocked honestly.

But are you sure about that dragon stone statement? Corrin has dragonstone abilities within her innate sword moveset and I honestly don't see how they can make floating dragons possess decent movesets and combos unless they just spam fireballs

4 minutes ago, Martin said:

Assuming that the siblings are included, that's already eight slots taken. I wouldn't be that shocked honestly.

But are you sure about that dragon stone statement? Corrin has dragonstone abilities within her innate sword moveset and I honestly don't see how they can make floating dragons possess decent movesets and combos unless they just spam fireballs

You lack imagination, then. Back in Hyrule Warriors they made entire movesets out of weapons such as a boat sail, a spinning top, a living sword, a pair of boots, a painting frame, and two different harps.

Giving a floating dragon some attacks besides spitting fireballs is really not hard to envision.

2 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

You lack imagination, then. Back in Hyrule Warriors they made entire movesets out of weapons such as a boat sail, a spinning top, a living sword, a pair of boots, a painting frame, and two different harps.

Warriors Orochi made a moveset out of shirt sleeves. KT can make a creative moveset out of almost anything.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

Warriors Orochi made a moveset out of shirt sleeves. KT can make a creative moveset out of almost anything.

They've also in Dynasty Warriors 7 and 8 made movesets out of a paintbrush and rake lmao.

3 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

As far as I can tell, outside of Hector, there really aren't many popular axe units. Or at least characters in which the axe is the weapon they're most known for.

Honestly, I was thinking less about popularity and more about plot relevance and how interesting their movesets could be. After all, Agitha was added in the base game of Hyrule Warriors while Groose wasn't Loose even in DLC. I don't know much about Archaneia, so maybe that's the reason they can think more of lance/bow users than axe users.

For Axe users, I can think of:

• Minerva
  • Michalis
  • Lissa (plot relevance, NUNSWITHAXES)
  • Basilio (plot relevance and is basically the Nick Fury of Fire Emblem)
  • Walhart (plot relevance, second main antagonist, descended from Alm, is treated as being as strong as a Musou Character even in Awakening, is the only horse rider in my list).
  • Cherche.
  • Arthur (potential as a Joke character)
  • Rinkah (more plot relevance than Hinoka, can use her fire as part of her moveset)
  • Charlotte (can crush Faceless with bare hands, and combining her cutesy act with her true self could be interesting)
  • Camilla (plot relevance, potential for tome usage in her moveset.)

For Bow users, I can think of:

• Gordin
  • Jeorge
  • Virion
  • Takumi
  • Sakura

Not too many of them...

For Lance users, I can think of:

• Caeda (Honestly, I can see them changing her to Sword user to have at least one Sword Flier.)
  • Draug (He shows up with a different weapon in pretty much in every game I've seen him in. I wouldn't be surprised if he used freaking Tomes in this game.)
  • The Whitewings (Either all of them or none at all, and I'm pretty sure it'll be none at all.)
  • Camus
  • Frederick
  • Cordelia
  • Donnel/Mozu (token villager)
  • Oboro (best girl)
  • Kellam (His invisibility could be interesting in a moveset)
  • Azura (Ocean's Gray waves)
  • Shigure (Flying Gray waves)
  • Hinoka (royal)

Technically, there are more Lance users in there than Axe users , but I'm not really sure how they would be able to make them unique enough to have their own moveset. Maybe I just lack imagination, but I'm pretty sure that Caeda, the Whitewings, Cordelia, and Hinoka would have a similar moveset, while Shigure would have a mix of their moveset with Azura. The Armors would be similar if they don't focus on Kellam's invisibility. Fred would have a similar moveset with Camus, etc.

Edited by Luankachu

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Another axe users could be Vaike or Basilio from Awakening as the developers seems to really love that game. But for others axe users someone said already Charlote and Rinkah from Fates and for Shadow Dragon well Minerva and maybe Michalis as enemy, and at last Barst.

8 minutes ago, Luankachu said:

Honestly, I was thinking less about popularity and more about plot relevance and how interesting their movesets could be. After all, Agitha was added in the base game of Hyrule Warriors while Groose wasn't Loose even in DLC. I don't know much about Archaneia, so maybe that's the reason they can think more of lance/bow users than axe users.

Hide contents

For Axe users, I can think of:

• Minerva
  • Michalis
  • Lissa (plot relevance, NUNSWITHAXES)
  • Basilio (plot relevance and is basically the Nick Fury of Fire Emblem)
  • Walhart (plot relevance, second main antagonist, descended from Alm, is treated as being as strong as a Musou Character even in Awakening, is the only horse rider in my list).
  • Cherche.
  • Arthur (potential as a Joke character)
  • Rinkah (more plot relevance than Hinoka, can use her fire as part of her moveset)
  • Charlotte (can crush Faceless with bare hands, and combining her cutesy act with her true self could be interesting)
  • Camilla (plot relevance, potential for tome usage in her moveset.)

For Bow users, I can think of:

• Gordin
  • Jeorge
  • Virion
  • Takumi
  • Sakura

Not too many of them...

For Lance users, I can think of:

• Caeda (Honestly, I can see them changing her to Sword user to have at least one Sword Flier.)
  • Draug (He shows up with a different weapon in pretty much in every game I've seen him in. I wouldn't be surprised if he used freaking Tomes in this game.)
  • The Whitewings (Either all of them or none at all, and I'm pretty sure it'll be none at all.)
  • Camus
  • Frederick
  • Cordelia
  • Donnel/Mozu (token villager)
  • Oboro (best girl)
  • Kellam (His invisibility could be interesting in a moveset)
  • Azura (Ocean's Gray waves)
  • Shigure (Flying Gray waves)
  • Hinoka (royal)

Technically, there are more Lance users in there than Axe users , but I'm not really sure how they would be able to make them unique enough to have their own moveset. Maybe I just lack imagination, but I'm pretty sure that Caeda, the Whitewings, Cordelia, and Hinoka would have a similar moveset, while Shigure would have a mix of their moveset with Azura. The Armors would be similar if they don't focus on Kellam's invisibility. Fred would have a similar moveset with Camus, etc.

Maybe for what we had see there could be three cavalier (sword: Xander, Lance: Camus¿? and Axe: Frederick) and three pegasus because it would be weird if the only flying units it's cordelia. As for a lance-user on foot maybe an armored unit (Draug, Kellam, Benny, etc) or Oboro. Who knows maybe Azama (as a war monk) spreading his word to form his new religion

I'm not hung up on the twins being sword users. Every Fe game has had at least one sword lord, so I see this as them following that trend. The twins both being sword users ,I would have to imagine, is for gameplay reasons. They probably don't want players to be gimped for liking one twin over the other.

Edited by Namarid

12 minutes ago, Namarid said:

I'm not hung up on the twins being sword users. Every Fe game has had at least one sword lord, so I see this as them following that trend. The twins both being sword users ,I would have to imagine, is for gameplay reasons. They probably don't want players to be gimped for liking one twin over the other.

Finally, some reason.

Also, no one seems to be wondering who the other "the same but unique" characters will be.

Edited by Arthur97

6 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Also, no one seems to be wondering who the other "the same but unique" characters will be.

Because people hate thinking about clones when it comes to the Warriors series.

35 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Finally, some reason.

Hmm, I'm thinking that Hinoka might actually be a clone of Cordelia now. Especially because Cords has a helicopter move. I don't think it'd be hard to give Hinoka a unique moveset but she and Cords are both lance pegaponies so I don't see why they would want to spend that extra time on Hinoka.

Edited by Pokechu

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Whatever do you mean by this? Are you criticizing the gameplay format of SM64 and KSS, or are you criticizing games that just reference them in some smaller non-gameplay-way too much?

If you mean the former, well Ninty has had Mario experiment away from the SM64 format plenty recently and them bringing it back for SMO isn't a problem because we've had 4 NSMBs and SM3DL and SM3DW. As for KSS- I think the Kirby formula, while certainly better in KSS style than Dark Matter Trilogy format or KEY, but I won't deny Kirby could use some more experimentation.

As for non-gameplay referencing, I don't see it here- care to explain?

It's mostly just 'hey look, a reference to Kirby Super Star. Hey look, have another one! Ooh, want one to Kirby's Dream Land'? I just don't get it...

6 hours ago, Jedi said:

New players in Warriors games do tend to complain about moveset speed quite a bit (look at a number of people saying Cordelia looks really slow without having experience in the genre), so giving them faster & more controlled situations is probably a good idea, eventhough i'm not super fond of the idea. 

Pegasus knights are fast. And I have to be picky about those things- because I certainly don't have faith in anything else.

Besides, I do have Hyrule Warriors experience, and I'm sure Lana, Linkle and Marin are all faster. Maybe Cordelia's close, but I don't know whether I'll enjoy this set...

27 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Pegasus knights are fast. And I have to be picky about those things- because I certainly don't have faith in anything else.

Besides, I do have Hyrule Warriors experience, and I'm sure Lana, Linkle and Marin are all faster. Maybe Cordelia's close, but I don't know whether I'll enjoy this set...

I went back and compared Lana's Book of Sorcery trailer with Cordelia's trailer.  The longest string we see in Cordelia's trailer lasts about 6s (0:20 to 0:26, give or take), and is either the C6 or full normal string, for about 6 attacks.  The longest string we see in Lana's trailer is her C5, which lasts about 8s (0:45 to 0:53, give or take), for about 10 attacks (the cube rolling has a delay to make the cube, but after it's up it attacks faster). 

However, we know that Lana's 'string' is four normals + one charge, and Cordelia's 'string' appears to be either 5 normals and a charge or 6 normals (it's possible everything after the forward copter is one charge attack, making it her C5, but it seems too distinct from the thrusts after it).  If we compare Cordelia's first four attacks of her string to Lana's first four attacks, they are fairly similar in length:  Cordelia's fourth attack is the stomp at 0:23 (about 3s after starting), Lana's is the 'gust of magic' at 0:48 (about 3s after starting).  Lana might be a slight bit faster, as I'm just estimating from Youtube times, but they appear to be about the same speed.

Cordelia does look slower though, which I think is mostly because the model is bigger (due to the pegasus).

Youtube video for Lana's trailer used for reference:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Bj_8UkI-0

4 minutes ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

I went back and compared Lana's Book of Sorcery trailer with Cordelia's trailer.  The longest string we see in Cordelia's trailer lasts about 6s (0:20 to 0:26, give or take), and is either the C6 or full normal string, for about 6 attacks.  The longest string we see in Lana's trailer is her C5, which lasts about 8s (0:45 to 0:53, give or take), for about 10 attacks (the cube rolling has a delay to make the cube, but after it's up it attacks faster). 

However, we know that Lana's 'string' is four normals + one charge, and Cordelia's 'string' appears to be either 5 normals and a charge or 6 normals (it's possible everything after the forward copter is one charge attack, making it her C5, but it seems too distinct from the thrusts after it).  If we compare Cordelia's first four attacks of her string to Lana's first four attacks, they are fairly similar in length:  Cordelia's fourth attack is the stomp at 0:23 (about 3s after starting), Lana's is the 'gust of magic' at 0:48 (about 3s after starting).  Lana might be a slight bit faster, as I'm just estimating from Youtube times, but they appear to be about the same speed.

Cordelia does look slower though, which I think is mostly because the model is bigger (due to the pegasus).

Youtube video for Lana's trailer used for reference:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Bj_8UkI-0

First of all, unrelated to the argument, the two trailers present a completely different tonal element- Hyrule Warriors starts with the victory animation and ends with her magic time-out, while Fire Emblem Warriors starts with the introduction cutscene and ends with the victory cutscene. Just found it amusing.

Hm, interesting frame data... maybe it'll be a case of how it feels to control, and hopefully she doesn't move like the Great Fairy does- my god, that feels slow, no matter how much you tell me she has the same running speed as anyone else.

Also, the Musou attacks- comparing Lana's literal darting to Cordelia spending five minutes before the crit portrait appears certainly colours the impressions, especially since the timed missions don't freeze the timer while in Musou attacks, if memory serves.