CYL FEH Channel Livestream coming Monday 3.30am UTC

DefyingFates

Choose Your Legend  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Choose Your Freebie

1 minute ago, phineas81707 said:

Archanea doesn't have special lances, either...

Wut. Talk about lazy blacksmiths. GET THE DWARVES!!! We're tearing a space-time hole and going to some time before Shadow Dragon and making a bunch of powerful lances. Annnnnd this is the part where I created a bad future because those lances fell into the wrong hands.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Kaden said:

Wut. Talk about lazy blacksmiths. GET THE DWARVES!!! We're tearing a space-time hole and going to some time before Shadow Dragon and making a bunch of powerful lances. Annnnnd this is the part where I created a bad future because those lances fell into the wrong hands.

I mean, I think Gradivus does the job fine. Certainly does in Heroes.

34 minutes ago, Kaden said:

I'm guessing written languages were really messy back then? Or maybe it's something like y'know how people from different parts of the world have to spell their name in different languages? Possibly something like that. With Seamus, for example, people have written it as Shaymus and Shamus. Or Li, Lee, Yi, etc.

I think there's another example or explanation where one word ends up being rendered in different ways. Perhaps it's because of missing or, more appropriate, nontransferable sounds.

That or the writer couldn't remember the damn sword's name and came up with something that remotely sounded similar.

When you try to spell out words in a foreign alphabet, it's called "transliteration". So if you spell out Arabic words in English letters, English words in Japanese syllables, etc. Transliteration can be standardized but I doubt even most students whospend time studying a foreign language would know where to go to find the best guides for it. 

Ah I'm going to hate myself later on when I dive into the colorless abyss, but I don't think I can pass up a free Ike. At least it will be kind of nice to have a banner that I will have no issue pulling all colors for at least at the start. 

Just now, Othin said:

I mean, I think Gradivus does the job fine. Certainly does in Heroes.

WE NEED MORE! MORE POWER! MORE DESTRUCTION! And more broken Archanean heroes with legendary lances in heroes. :p

4 minutes ago, Kaden said:

I choose to instead have legendary DARK weapons crafted from the remains of Grima, legendary LIGHT weapons crafted as gifts from Naga so the armies of the Exalts of Ylisse have a means to combat a revived Grima because this is Fire Emblem why would it not happen, and legendary ANIMA weapons because why not.

Heeheehee... the gears are turning... I'm gonna need some Owain-type person to come by and supply me with... "names",,,

Edited by Xenomata

"Dur-ren-dal", huh. I thought it was pronounced "Dur-ran-dal". Oh, no wonder, because it's supposed to be? spelled as Durendal, but is sometimes spelled Durandal.

Edit: HAHAHA!!! Lyn's horse has an apron! I can't unsee that! OMG.

Edit 2: I just realized something. CYL Ike would be incredibly difficult to double to death. 2RKOs might be the easiest option, but you would need like two mages or a mage and a dancer.

Edited by Kaden

3 minutes ago, Personette said:

When you try to spell out words in a foreign alphabet, it's called "transliteration". So if you spell out Arabic words in English letters, English words in Japanese syllables, etc. Transliteration can be standardized but I doubt even most students whospend time studying a foreign language would know where to go to find the best guides for it. 

Not too hard for anyone who reasonably knows both languages. Hell, you can even just get one guy who knows the first language to pronounce the word slowly and the other guy who knows the second language to write down what they hear.

Or, you know, you can be lazy and just copy the word down letter-for-letter and call it a day because French and German use the exact same character set. Modern English already does this, and it's the dumbest thing ever (it's where we get shitty spelling of "rendezvous" from).

4 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

But Wada didn’t illustrate Blazing Blade, did she?

Wada did the character design for all three of the GBA games, but only did the official character art for Sacred Stones.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Wada did the character design for all three of the GBA games, but only did the official character art for Sacred Stones.

Ah, the more you know, thank you.

19 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Not too hard for anyone who reasonably knows both languages. Hell, you can even just get one guy who knows the first language to pronounce the word slowly and the other guy who knows the second language to write down what they hear.

Or, you know, you can be lazy and just copy the word down letter-for-letter and call it a day because French and German use the exact same character set. Modern English already does this, and it's the dumbest thing ever (it's where we get shitty spelling of "rendezvous" from).

You transliterate between alphabets; French and German both use the Roman alphabet. Different from the issue of when spelling really became standardized--which is fairly recent, obviously, during the 19th century.

Transliterating between alphabets really does require linguistics experts to properly codify. When letters that exist in one language don't exist in another, people will come up with all kinds of approximations & it can get confusing. 

Also not sure why you have a problem with rendezvous? The spelling is exactly the same in French, it's just two words instead of one. 

29 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Or it could have been simply that the German author decided he wanted a German word for the name instead of a French word due to politics/overall localization.  Several French themes were apparently changed to more generic Christian themes in that adaptation.

34 minutes ago, Personette said:

You transliterate between alphabets; French and German both use the Roman alphabet. Different from the issue of when spelling really became standardized--which is fairly recent, obviously, during the 19th century.

Transliterating between alphabets really does require linguistics experts to properly codify. When letters that exist in one language don't exist in another, people will come up with all kinds of approximations & it can get confusing. 

Also not sure why you have a problem with rendezvous? The spelling is exactly the same in French, it's just two words instead of one. 

No, my problem is not "this letter doesn't exist". My problem is "this letter makes the wrong sound" that is the problem of exchanging words between two languages using the same character base for their writing system.

The problem with "rendezvous" in the fact that in English, three of those letters don't normally make the same sound as they do in the word ("e" doesn't normally make the "ah" sound, "z" is normally not silent, "s" is normally not silent). Other languages that are not English tend to either change the spelling of loan words to keep the pronunciation or change the pronunciation of loan words to keep their spelling. English keeps both the spelling and pronunciation of loan words (as well as words from older versions of the language that made less sense) even if they don't follow any of the patterns that normally exist in the language, which results in all of the dumb shit that the language does.

As an example (that doesn't use the Latin character set), Japanese borrows a lot of words from Chinese (because the Chinese character set is a subset of the Japanese character set) and changes the pronunciations of the words to match the pronunciation of the characters in Japanese. There are a few esoteric loan words from Chinese that use different pronunciations that more closely resemble the Chinese pronunciations (a good example is most of the terminology in mahjong), but those are not in general use.

Of particular note, even proper nouns change their pronunciation between Chinese and Japanese to remain in line with the borrowing language's pronunciation. For example, Sun Yat-sen's name is pronounced the way the characters in his name are pronounced in Mandarin ("ee-shyan"), Cantonese ("yuht-seen"), and Japanese ("ees-sen") in those languages rather than keeping the same pronunciation in all three.

Edited by Ice Dragon

I'm torn between Lyn and Ike.  I've been hunting for Ike and squandered all my orbs on him during his Hero Fest, to no avail.  Passing up a free Ike seems too much to ignore...

On the other hand, free Lyn.  I never played her game so I'm not partial to her in any way, but from the discussion here it seems like I really should try to get her.  I'm also scared to jump into the pit of colorless in case I get a bunch of healers *sigh* I have my Priscilla, and she's enough.

I really can't decide! I think I'll prolly end up going with Ike...can't help it...maybe during the colorless pit, I might actually pull a 5* Jakob or Kagero like I've been wanting for this whole time.

So, um... when Feh wanted to try and snag two Heroes from the freebie, there was a disclaimer about how this wasn't possible. Is there any actual history behind why people might actually think it were possible? It seemed a bit weird they had to specify that...

I just realized CYL Lyn has a new C skill that doesn't already exist. It looks to be the Atk half of Dark Breath/Clarisse's Bow.

2 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

So, um... when Feh wanted to try and snag two Heroes from the freebie, there was a disclaimer about how this wasn't possible. Is there any actual history behind why people might actually think it were possible? It seemed a bit weird they had to specify that...

Idiots exist (e.g. why cups of coffee in the U.S. are required to warn people that contents may be hot).

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Idiots exist (e.g. why cups of coffee in the U.S. are required to warn people that contents may be hot).

I feel like it might just be playing into the humor of Feh's statement though and shouldn't even be taken seriously in the first place.

I sincerely hope the freebie CYL units are neutral nature locked. I've already been beaten and battered by bad nature rng on the summer banners, I really need a break. I'll gladly take no chance at getting +atk/spd for the guarantee of no -atk/spd.

Edited by Alkaid

6 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

I feel like it might just be playing into the humor of Feh's statement though and shouldn't even be taken seriously in the first place.

I vaguely remember her making a selfish remark last stream with no disclaimer. I don't recall what it might've been, but if that vague recollection is right, someone probably tried Feh's idea...

10 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

I sincerely hope the freebie CYL units are neutral nature locked. I've already been beaten and battered by bad nature rng on the summer banners, I really need a break. I'll gladly take no chance at getting +atk/spd for the guarantee of no -atk/spd.

I dunno, based on how we're getting the one free unit, it might use the same summoning mechanics as most other banners, something like inflating the Summoning Focus to 100% and then somehow locking in the orbs chosen...

If we were just getting a free unit with a neutral nature, it seems better to just let us pick one of the four and then send them to us via Feh on the main throneroom screen.