Jump to content
Something Witty

Would YOU like to see a Second generation?

Would you like to See a Second Generation?  

94 members have voted

  1. 1. Would you like to see a second generation

    • Yes
      27
    • No
      67
  2. 2. Which Fire emblem handled children better

    • Fire emblem 13, Fire emblem 14
      17
    • Fire emblem 4
      77
  3. 3. Should there even be children

    • Yes
      25
    • No
      69


Recommended Posts

With most modern Fire emblems, there is marriage, and with marriage came a child unit, which would carry over some skills and stats from their parents. There is usually mixed opinions on this, as some say it is a pretty cool idea, while some say that it is unnecessary and pointless. However, in FE 4, there was also marriage and children, but children were done differently. After a certain point in the plot, the game switches from Sigurd, the main lord, to his son Seliph. Most of your original army were replaced by their children, and therefore you played as them for the rest of the game. Children also took skill and stats from their parents like in the modern games. So, would you like to see a second generation in Fire emblem switch like Fe 4 or Fe 13. Or do you think that there shouldn't be any children at all. I would like to see what you think, so please feel free to comment your opinions below.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like asking if you would like to see a 2nd Generation and then asking if Children should even be a thing is redundant.

But to anwser the question, yes, but only if it makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'd prefer to have a break from Child Units for FE Switch.  That being said, I wouldn't mind too badly if Child Units were something they did, say, every other game or two.

The way I think about it, it's like having YHVH as the final boss in an SMT game.  It doesn't happen very often, but when it does, it manages to be interesting.  However, if Atlus were to make YHVH the final boss twice or more in a row, it would begin to get stale and predictable and I don't want that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say no - I'd rather they give it a rest for a couple games. But I have to agree your third question is redundant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Said no to both and FE4. However, "second generation" can be a bit more broad of a term. I love the idea of a game that spans across multiple generations, and most of FE4's fans loved it too since it conveyed such a large scale world and conflict. A second generation doesn't need to be made up entirely of kids born of the first generation, it could be just the next group of people to take up the cause. Have a natural time skip in the plot, and anybody from the first gen that's still alive and willing to fight can still join in. It can definitely be cool to see where characters ended up after the time skip, who didn't make it and why, who settled down and had kids. I just don't care to play matchmaker in choosing who hooks up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly say No. I do like how Awakening utilized them (and Genealogy opinion is based off others) But ultimately I feel they've become redundant with Fates doing it in a not as good way. If they can make it so they make sense and are actually plot important (Awakening kinda did this with Lucina telling you she brought other allies back in time with her) but mostly they did nothing besides being great units.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question... why did you put FE13 and FE14 in the same voting thing? They were handled COMPLETELY different. Awakening made sense in how they existed, given that they had time travel going on with the dark future and whatnot. Fates just fucked it up. So I legit feel like the vote for that one is not correct at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The children make sense in Awakening, it was part of the story. If they do child units again, it should be part of the story but then do we need every game having a story reason for child units? So having a break from child units would be ok.

On the other hand, plenty of people have a lot of fun pairing up parents to get perfect child units so I could understand if it was included. Its a popular feature.

Edited by wissenschaft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted no to children units- I would like a break please. I'm not opposed to it, and wouldn't be too upset if they're in the next FE. But I would like a break.

I do prefer how FE4 handled children- all of the children are plot relevant and who you paired was more vital, because of the inheritance system and the lack of reclassing options. Awakening kids do have agency and interesting characterization, but they don't have the plot relevance like the FE4 kids. You can play through Awakening and Fates and skip children, because they didn't add or detract from the main story. Meanwhile, the FE4 kids take over the story.

The main thing the FE4 kids are weak on is characterization, but that could be due to the technological difficulties at the time. At least most of them were characterized in some way, some way more than others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

I voted no to children units- I would like a break please. I'm not opposed to it, and wouldn't be too upset if they're in the next FE. But I would like a break.

I do prefer how FE4 handled children- all of the children are plot relevant and who you paired was more vital, because of the inheritance system and the lack of reclassing options. Awakening kids do have agency and interesting characterization, but they don't have the plot relevance like the FE4 kids. You can play through Awakening and Fates and skip children, because they didn't add or detract from the main story. Meanwhile, the FE4 kids take over the story.

The main thing the FE4 kids are weak on is characterization, but that could be due to the technological difficulties at the time. At least most of them were characterized in some way, some way more than others.

While you can skip the other Awakening kids, remember that Lucina is a second gen and is part of the main story. The rest just pop on by as you have characters support one another, so you're half right on that regard. The point is that Awakening kids are still related to the plot, whereas Fates has no plot relevance. 

As for the case on FE4, this was before the era of Support Conversations being a thing and you only have these minor conversations that characters have. 

I also just realized that I never said my piece on whether they should be here or not. I say no. To have 2nd Gen, they'd need a reason to be there. Awakening did it right on how they can exist alongside 1st Generation, but Fates failed at it. Since I doubt time travel will be a thing in Fire Emblem games, I say that if we have to have them, they should be like FE4's. But otherwise, no kids. 

Honestly, I don't mind having the support conversations that can lead to love, but we can avoid the marriage in regards to that. Pairing characters doesn't need to always be the 2nd Gen. We could just have other things happen instead for gameplay mechanics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, this poll was confusing; Awakening and Fates handled the children mechanic completely differently, with Awakening incorporating it into the story and doing it all around far better. Guess I can't vote in an incomplete poll.

Regardless, no, I don't want child units. We've had a second generation in two recent games, and it wasn't without its issues. Genealogy is due for a remake at some point in the not too distant future, one would imagine, so even doing a second generation in a more natural way would feel unwise. I really like the Awakening kids as a whole, but we need a break from this, and hopefully it could lead to a more focused narrative and more sensible paralogues as a result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish you'd separated FE13 and 14 in the second question - they both implemented children completely differently (and one made much more sense than the other).

As for children: I would have voted no, but after playing through Conquest and getting the one woman army that is Soleil just in time for the end game showed me how rewarding child units can be I voted yes - as long as they make sense!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they decided to handle it properly then I don't see a reason why not but if they pull more of that deeprealm nonsense then its best not to include a second generation.

And the only way to do a second gen properly is to have a timeskip. The only other means of including them is through time travel and Awakening already used that. Fates showed us what happened if you insist on having teenaged children fights alongside their teenaged parents while refusing to do it properly, it leads to great characters being crippled and having the most dignity if you decide they are non canon additions. 

If they add a second generation through a timeskip where the old generation either ages or gets killed off then I'm all for it. I think the first gen surviving and aging may even be the more interesting option. We get the parents and children interacting and the old gens will get fancy new designs to reflect their older age. 

However I think there are enough incentives for IS not to age the characters and to have parents and kids remain in the same age range. I suspect it has to do with the bigger drive towards fanservices. Everyone needs to be conventionally attractive and by Japanese standards this leaves less place for middle aged or old characters which is why those groups are largely lacking in the newer games. A prettyboy like Takumi would just be less attractive for fangirls if he became a middle aged man with a goatee.
Killing off the entire first gen may be deemed to much of a risk to pull off either so I suspect that if we got a second gen we either get a repeat of Awakenings time travel or another completely ridiculous, character assassinating scenario like the deeprealm nonsense. Neither option sounds very appealing. It reeks of acknowledgement that the kids are only there for fanservice and that the question of whether they belong in the game and its story isn't asked at all. 

I want a second generation and say yes but because I don't trust IS with implementing a second gen I also want to answer with no. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say no to a second generation- Just when the first generation gets out of the bad (tutorial/semi tutorial) to the first good part of the game (the first hard maps) the reset button that is a second generation kicks you down to necessarily low-intensity stuff again, even if it's only temporarily before buiding too *harder* scenarios than the hard part of gen1. I would much prefer the difficulty to rise consistently climb throughout the whole game than have a rise>fall>rise structure.

How children have affected map design- FE4, C6 is a massive scaleback from the final gen1 chapter, and in the remaining chapters, instead of having the 3-or four broken units, you have a half-dozen of them due to how the holy blood boosts makes their growths sickeningly higher than they look, absurd personal weapons, and in other cases just because of having skills that were probably not meant not meant to be together on the same unit. 

FE Awakening- Children are used in same story as other characters, and most of them can use their combined advantages (massive skill list, growths) to quickly catch up with gen 1 units between fighting in their paralogue recruitment chapter. Very nice for L+, kind of tacked on in efficiency playtthroughs. 

FE Fates- Children are still used in the same story as other characters- A lot of people shit on child units in this game, but imo many of them are capable of overtaking high end units about 6-7 chapters before endgame. Of course that isn't particularly efficient, but it's also not quite in "out of your way" territory to achieve in non-efficency play through.  The best draw of children units is that actually playing the extra map to recruit them gets you more items specific capturable enemies which can be at a premium, at least in Conquest.

Story- FE4 wins, Awakening is bad at base, but  the future past  dlc kind of makes it better if only elibe tier in terms of writing. Fates  is the worst, because unlike awakening, the children don't really have as good  of a reason to grow up as fighters in the first place, since they don't live in an apocalyptic setting which functioned as both origin and motivation in Awakening.

The thread seems o be just behind the game's reason behind the children, but I have to add also that I find that aside from Sety, Leaf, and a handful of others that most of FE4 gen 2 are VERY dry characters, and taken as a whole the 3DS children are more interesting, even if the reason for being in the first place is not as good-

Anyway I feel like smaller negataive effect on map design (even if it's short term) makes the 3DS children the clear option. More in Conquest than Awakening L+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to say no to a second generation. Let's give it a break rather than try to force it into yet another FE game. Plus, I'd rather they focus on making sure the 1st gen characters are decent characters, rather than the one-quirk wonders we've been getting quite a lot of in recent games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like splitting that second question between FE4, FE13, and FE14 may see different results. FE4 is still my vote regardless but FE13 handled it a lot better than FE14 did. Though some users will claim it backfired, at least it's apparent that thought and consideration went into the child units in FE13 and they're tied in to the story in a convoluted but at least in-universe believable way. In FE14 they were a shoehorn that were just thrown in unnecessarily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted no for 2nd generation and child units, but a lot of it depends on how they are included into the story and game. They COULD be included in a way I find believable and enjoy, but that has not been the case with the last 2 games that had children. Although Awakening did a better job than Fates, that's not saying much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

While you can skip the other Awakening kids, remember that Lucina is a second gen and is part of the main story. The rest just pop on by as you have characters support one another, so you're half right on that regard. The point is that Awakening kids are still related to the plot, whereas Fates has no plot relevance. 

As for the case on FE4, this was before the era of Support Conversations being a thing and you only have these minor conversations that characters have. 

I also just realized that I never said my piece on whether they should be here or not. I say no. To have 2nd Gen, they'd need a reason to be there. Awakening did it right on how they can exist alongside 1st Generation, but Fates failed at it. Since I doubt time travel will be a thing in Fire Emblem games, I say that if we have to have them, they should be like FE4's. But otherwise, no kids. 

Honestly, I don't mind having the support conversations that can lead to love, but we can avoid the marriage in regards to that. Pairing characters doesn't need to always be the 2nd Gen. We could just have other things happen instead for gameplay mechanics. 

Yeah. I forgot Lucina, but the other kids are skippable. But I did say they do have some agency, they actually have their own reasons for going back in time and participating in the conflict there. Meanwhile Fates kids are more like "mommy only had you so you will be able to fight", and all of them are skippable, and add nothing to plot. Which is a shame, because some of the 2nd Gen Fates characters have some of the best characterizations (Shiro and Forrest come to mind).

And I agree with your last sentiment. I sorta miss some of the bitter ending romances, like Priscilla's endings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dandy Druid said:

Yeah. I forgot Lucina, but the other kids are skippable. But I did say they do have some agency, they actually have their own reasons for going back in time and participating in the conflict there. Meanwhile Fates kids are more like "mommy only had you so you will be able to fight", and all of them are skippable, and add nothing to plot. Which is a shame, because some of the 2nd Gen Fates characters have some of the best characterizations (Shiro and Forrest come to mind).

And I agree with your last sentiment. I sorta miss some of the bitter ending romances, like Priscilla's endings.

The thing that bothers me most about the Fates kids is that they are actually born and then thrown into the hyperbolic time chamber. But while there are great characters, we also have 3 Hoshidan kids be carbon copies of Awakening characters, some being absurdly bland like Hisame, and a few others that are meh in comparison. Personal opinion, I found myself liking Awakening kids more. In a way, their "quirks" actually make a LOT of sense when you think about where they come from. 

Oh shit, you made me remember something sad. The thing about Priscilla is that only ONE character manages to be with her in the end. The rest don't. In fact, Sain doesn't even get a paired ending with her, but rather they pretty much end their relationship at the A-support. 

Personally, if we have the S supports exist, I would hope they no longer stick with marriage. Rather, make it a confession of love or something and that's it. You're in a relationship. not married just yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

The thing that bothers me most about the Fates kids is that they are actually born and then thrown into the hyperbolic time chamber. But while there are great characters, we also have 3 Hoshidan kids be carbon copies of Awakening characters, some being absurdly bland like Hisame, and a few others that are meh in comparison. Personal opinion, I found myself liking Awakening kids more. In a way, their "quirks" actually make a LOT of sense when you think about where they come from. 

Oh shit, you made me remember something sad. The thing about Priscilla is that only ONE character manages to be with her in the end. The rest don't. In fact, Sain doesn't even get a paired ending with her, but rather they pretty much end their relationship at the A-support. 

Personally, if we have the S supports exist, I would hope they no longer stick with marriage. Rather, make it a confession of love or something and that's it. You're in a relationship. not married just yet. 

I agree. A love confession makes more sense to me, and then just state in the shared ending that they eloped. The proposals felt too rushed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dandy Druid said:

I agree. A love confession makes more sense to me, and then just state in the shared ending that they eloped. The proposals felt too rushed.

Yeah seriously. That's the thing that Awakening and Fates did fail at. The S support having them get married. Now THAT'S eloping. I get why Awakening did it because they decided that the Awakening kids being able to explain to their parents that they're their kids is to show them the ring, but still, it feels stupid since there are other ways to do so. 

Could have the kids just indicate that the couple marries and has them in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, FE4, No.

I'm just sick of children since they are no doubt gonna be completely overpowered and break the game which annoys the shit out of me. FE4 is really the only game where they are done right since they only have each other to be compared to and not their parents, but after Gen 2 the story gets real generic and the kids are bland characters in comparison to their parents.

But yeah, just no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, I don't like this concept even if it's FE4 version (which actually isn't much better than Fates since the game forces you to play as the second gen whom I couldn't care less about, while killing off most of the first gen), because the existence of biological children technically require a marriage system, which would inevitably include rushed/awkward romance and support conversations. S support (if exist) doesn't necessarily have to be marriage, or even romantic at all.

Edited by Ryo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...