Non-Hector Axes

jameslove001

2 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

I didn't think much of feeding her and her twins to Freddy.

It is said that she does not taste like bear meat.

...Oh god...  :>_<:

You know what? I would actually ship this. 

(though I've never really used Frederick in this game as anything more than sac bait for Luna and Fortify-D)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't go wrong with Freddy, I say! He's wonderful. <3 As said before, he can use horse buffs! And there are a number of great builds you can do for him.

You can build a +Def Freddy like me if you love Def!

p5bBa3G.png

It's expensive, since it requires sacrificing a BK and a 5 star who has a Slaying Axe or Killer Axe, but it's worth it and this may be Freddy's best build by a little bit. You pretty much cannot take him out unless you have magic or the right skill triggers. And he can one-shot most mages if they don't get to him first.

If you like going more on the offensive, the Brave Axe+ and Death Blow 3 combo still works too, and you can add a breaker for a bit more! I used to run this combo with Bonfire and Axebreaker until I got the idea to go more defensive due to my Frederick being +Def. The Brave Axe+ build here is best for +Atk though, of course.

And I also saw a really good speed build for this guy. Wait, Frederick can be fast? Yes, he can! I saw a Frederick with 42 Spd. No joke. It was a +10 Frederick, but damn. Also had 56 Atk and 40 Def. This Frederick was running the Spd boosting Slaying Axe, Aether, and Fury. And the Spd+3 seal. I don't remember what the other skills were. Of course, you want +Spd for this build.

Edited by Anacybele

I have Hector, but I tend to prioritize units that need the Hero Merit more.

Axe users that I tend to be happy fielding are, in order from highest to lowest HM: PA!Azura, Hector, Frederick, Michalis, Brave Ike, Sheena, Titania, NY!Azura, and Amelia. So I don't tend to have trouble finding a good one.

14 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

...Oh god...  :>_<:

You know what? I would actually ship this. 

(though I've never really used Frederick in this game as anything more than sac bait for Luna and Fortify-D)

Seeing as his attack is pretty high for the axe cavs we have (one is mage bait, the other is a gramps), I'd say give it a shot.

I promise if you ever feed him Camilla and her "twins" he will reap the benefit, or go the route of @Anacybele and pack an absolutely absurd amount of defense, like dear god man.

The best non-seasonal axes especially for PvE modes are probably the Emerald Axe users. Narcian and Arthur come with Lancebreaker so they're already fitted to the role of anti-blue without any need for SI or promoting to 5 star. And Titania can be fast enough to earn her own doubles. My Hawkeye was also generally incompetent until I gave him Quick Riposte 2 and a basic emerald axe in order to take advantage of his excellent mixed bulk.

There's also Anna. Fury + Desperation isn't that costly of a build and it makes her the most competent of the Askr trio. Though I wouldn't peg her as an above average axe unit with today's standards. The ease of access to the slaying Axe really helped out Beruka and Bartre, who had been outclassed by Michalis and Cherche respectively. Speaking of, Michalis is totally worth the investment thanks to that personal weapon. Even without weapon refinement, Iote's shield and Threaten Def are a good base skills.

Edited by Glennstavos

Sheena, Frederick, and Cherche are my top 3 axes, even though I have Hector, Performing Azura, and Dorcas, but don't use them often.

Many 3-4* axes have good enough Def and/or Res that you can toss an Emerald Axe on them (making use of 3* Arthurs, who can also give them Lancebreaker 1 and Swap) to make them useful for Arena Assault and some quests. The same can be said for other colors and their 3* gem weapon people.

Winter Chrom is the best though. Highest Atk in the game, with very decent Def and Res, and high enough HP to abuse Panic Ploy 3. He's Anti-Reinhardt color (all axes are Ik lol), and he comes with some of the most amazing default skills.

Here's what the pinnacle of W!Chrom looks like

Spoiler

yfggIL0.png

jqLpjmI.png

L46AwOm.png

6aiHfiW.png

FAuiLMh.png

Edited by Ae†her

Outside of Hector I have Minerva, Airzura, Bike and Summer Xander. Michalis and Cherche are great too if you decide to invest in them but I have Minerva already so... 

I've seen people do great things with Beruka too (super mega Def tank), sadly I don't like her that much.

Oh yeah, there's Narcian too for a budget lance killer!

Michalis and Anna have worked out decently well for me, bonus point for them being free. Quick Riposte and Deflect Seals are particularly helpful for both of them. At the very least they function as tanks/bait for DEF and RES respectively while the other units on the team is focused on damage. Sometimes I've even gotten lucky where I've been able to use 3 units non-related to the quest to deal with the enemies while the quest-related unit sits back and acts solely as a slot filled as a means to an end for completing a quest, but understandably it's not easy for the average player to have enough units that can function as a 3-man team in order to use that strategy.

Personally, I've been using (Summoner Support) Brave Ike since Day 1 of his release and recently Winter Lissa, but, as neither of them are particularly easy to get, I'm not sure how useful that particular bit of information would be for general use.

While I generally prefer green mages to axe-users, there are still plenty of effective ones. Cherche flies and has huge attack; I used to run her with brave but I find melee braves a bit underwhelming so I switched back to the Hammer when that got its upgrade unlocked. Summer Tiki is just a solid all-around unit at everything except HP/Res, and weapon refinery does wonders for her because it patches up her poor HP. And I run Emerald Axe Titania with Distant Counter to clobber the Reinhardts of the world (less important now than it once was, but she still makes a great mage-and-blue-baiter; I usually run her with Xander who can take care anyone who doesn't fit that description.

Honestly, I only really use Hector anymore for arena because he gets me a high score. Both Azuras, Minerva, Cherche (+Atk with Brave Axe+), Brave Ike, Frederick (+Atk with Brave Axe), Raven, Summer Tiki, and Anna I tend to use more generally.

The thing with Hector (and especially if you don't have Armor March) is that there's only really one way to use him: defensively. With all the changes and additions to the game over the year a 1-move armored unit just doesn't get fielded as much for me anymore. He used to carry me, but now I have Adult Tiki doing the DC tank job better and I just find I typically scroll past him when planning teams for specific stuff.

My green of choice happens to be a tome user, so eh.

When I do need an axe, it really depends on what the situation is.  If I need a tank, any of the axe armors will do.  If it's a tiny map, and there's no enemy archers, Camilla and the Flying Squad comes out.  If I need to bait THAT ONE LANCE, it's Arthur's time to shine.  If I need Super Cheap Horse Emblem, that's Gunter's cue.

I think every unit can find their niche, axes included.

On 1/25/2018 at 8:05 AM, jameslove001 said:

So...I am finding myself to be pretty flush with lances and swords of all types, and a ton of green mages, but I am stumped when it comes to a trusty axe user, especially for the special "axe" missions. I am curious about those of you who don't have Hector...who are using? How are you filling that gap in your roster?

For me, the unfortunate best I have is Spring Chrom. He is an overall decent draw, but not the most convenient to use in all scenarios. I have undeveloped Hawkeyes, Barst, Anna and Bartre and a couple of cavalry and flyers, they just haven't taken the time for them as I have been trying to do all of the quests.

While I have Hector, and one with quite a good nature, I find that I don't field him all that often. I just don't particularly like using armors. I'd say that Cherche is often my go-to axe wielder, with Anna, Summer Tiki, and PA & NY Azura seeing frequent field time. I'd encourage you to build up both Anna and Cherche.

On 1/25/2018 at 12:38 PM, Morswo said:

Raven is a good hero, he has high speed and attack, with fury or life and death, he is able to KO many heroes.

Specially with that sweet axe coming XD 

My Flier Emblem team would like to have a word with you; Minerva w/Hauteclere forge, Brave Axe+/Death Blow/Heavy Blade 3 Cherche, Quadmilla, and NY Azura are willing to lend their services, if the price is right. 

Personally, I'd find a +Atk Cherche in your barracks and level her up.  She is super common, and can reach insane levels of damage output with the right set and flier bonuses.  Hypothetical skillset:

Brave Axe+

Reposition

Bonfire/Ignis

Death Blow 2/3

Hit and Run

Fortify/Goad Flyers

Atk +3/Heavy Blade Sacred Seal

Camilla is common too, and contrary to popular belief she can be a good unit.  Put L&D 3 or Death Blow 3 as her slot A, Desperation as her Slot B, and she's set.  Use either a +Spd or +Atk IV, preferably +Spd for quad-hitting.

You know people say Cherche is common, but I still haven't managed to +10 her. Meanwhile I have +10'ed 4* Eirika. Still I am getting there. I got her to +8 and a better bane. My last base was +ATK/-DEF. This one is +ATK/-HP. Which is better, though -RES would probably be better still.

Edited by Usana

Honestly my axe users fluctuate like mad. Since I don't have Hector, I've been using Hawkeye, Dorcas, both alternate forms of Azura, Bartre, Barst, Frederick, Beruka...It's crazy. 

And then I have this great 5-star Level 40 +3-merged +Spd/-Def Nino, and seven other Ninos to put into her...so there's that.