E3 2018 Schedule/Discussion/Hype Thread

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Oh? Rex and Pyra not getting into Smash? That sure was a surprise. 

I think there may be some characters still under wraps. I'm sure there are some new characters besides the Inklings and Ridley.

Edited by Sire

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, though I'm surprised they didn't just stick with Charizard or make Ivysaur and Squirtle separate. But it's nice for anyone that liked the latter two. And seeing Leaf available as an option is nice too!

I'm HYPED AS HELL THOUGH. Daisy gonna be a new main for me along with Luigi and Ike!

Also, those who told me that girl at the end of the FE trailer is a loli dragon, what do you mean? I didn't see any indication that she was a dragon.

My theory is that you won't need to press down b to switch pokémons

So, the only reason I didn't post this morning is because Ninty's is in the evening and I said screw it I'll wait till then. This will get rambley.

Sqeenix gave a Monster Hunter and FFXIV crossover. Man if only others were more willing to do stuff like this. Babylon's Fall has a massive lore dump and that's all we really get aside from some Warhammer-looking armour trying to purge heresy I guess. The Quiet Man is about John Wayne moving to Connamara- No wait that's the movie, it's a 3D fighter starring a deafmute protagonist who can box though (I think?). The rest was just more footage for stuff that had been shown already. Yawn, pretty short honestly.

Limited Run.... Who even are they? Announced a bunch of limited physical releases, I don't care enough to list them all.

Ubisoft showed off sequels for The Division, The Crew, Trials and Assassin's creed (The Odyssey though, I might be interested for the first time since AC2), showed more stuff for For Honour and RS:Siege, Skull and Bones got a delay, while Elijah Wood is apparently into VR now as well as Star LInk keeping Toys to Life from the grace of death by obscurity. I made the mistake of watching the opening and I feel a bit off about it, it felt a bit cringey. Also, I really need to play BG&E now, I am so confused by that trailer. Nothing buzzing me barring that personally.

PC Gaming Show got to say a lot of stuff is going to PC. Couple of new things like Man Eater (Jaws Simulator), Insomniac's VR experience, Sega's putting a bunch of stuff on it bunch of other stuff I don't have the time to explore sadly and lots of battle royale games. Remember MAG? I remember, it's only now that it could have worked apparently.

With Sony, they're one of the big names I'd keep my eye on and this time I'm not impressed. The Last of Us II, Spiderman, KHIII has more footage, Death Stranding is still leaving everyone stranded, a New Game+ needed an E3 announcement, Trover and the Smear plays a bit too close to Rick and Morty in the humour and it doesn't work imo with the game being difficult to see at all, Destiny needs more money, bunch of VR stuff showed up (Including Deracine by From), some trippy shooter from Remedy called Control and Ghost of Tsushima was shown, which is some sword game with Mongolians, which is always some bloody fun. RE2 got a release date, along with Sucker Punch revealing a new game('s gameplay) which is nice. Also, BLOPs, really?

As for exclusives, they lost KHIII though they still have Spiderman, Last of Us, Death Stranding, Trover and the Smear (yay), much of their VR and Ghost of Tsushima. Never mind other titles that had some footage shown, much as most have been announced before. So a big list, though less big names than Microsoft out of this E3.

Nintendo I watched live actually, mostly because the timing worked. That mech game looks neat, seems a bit like Revengeance, called Daemon Ex Machina. Xenoblade 2 gets DLC, alright for those who wanted it. Reggie saying Viridian fields was too obvious and everything seems to be a recap for Pokemon Let's Go, though Mew is in all Poke Ball Pluses. It used to be hard to get Mew. :P More Mario Party, seems about time. Multi-Switch interacting's cool I guess, want to see it in something else.

Is that what I think it is? FE THREE HOUSES! FE SWITCH IS REAL! YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

No Gothic theme, I am okay with this. Seems like Warriors is the base graphics engine with FE's usual gameplay, with walking around in towns (Why not in SoV?).  Man, there will be a lot to analyse. Also, is that Young Tiki in the end?

So, Fortnite too. No thanks. Overcooked seems alright, it's Team 17. Killer Queen Black is also something I guess. Hollow Knight is what it is, it's out today. Octopath has a demo, sure. Montage release date time! DB FIghterz, cool. Carcassone, :P. Wasteland 2 seems neat. No date for TWEWY? Ugh.

Sakurai calls it a new Smash and there's a list of who got picked based on entry :P. Also, that is Falco. :P Ice Climbers are back, there's at most 63 before new ones, Cloud and Snake are back, will this be everyone in the series then? Lucina is 21e, but Mario is his own character :P It just might be! So, it's SSB Ultimate for a title, 64 so far and maybe more. The biggest Crossover. :P Also, so many changes I can't list. Lucina and Dark Pit are echo fighters (not Dr. Mario though) with Daisy joining them. So much fanservice, it'll likely be at least at least a fun time. Lyn confirmed Assist Trophy, I guess she spent her cameo points. Though Bomberman's in too. More Gamecube controllers as well. Also, they did it RIDLEY'S NOT TOO BIG ANYMORE! I'm happy for those fans. He can instakill though, what? Also, it's out in time for Christmas.

Well, Smash is the announcement to beat for Ninty and that's that, the direct is over.

Exclusives? Do I even need to describe what are and what aren't?

Aside from that, Spyro got footage so I'm happy regardless. The dragons actually stand out more so that's nice, while Tree Tops looks as frustrating as it was. Lots of odd choices for performance in this E3 overall though.

Overall, of the console publishers, have to give it to Microsoft honestly, they knocked it out of the park this year and Sony dropped a bit, though they still had something. Ninty only had a few big announcements but Smash was big enough to make Ninty second. Other than that, FE Treehouse Three Houses should be really interesting to analyse.

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, though I'm surprised they didn't just stick with Charizard or make Ivysaur and Squirtle separate. But it's nice for anyone that liked the latter two. And seeing Leaf available as an option is nice too!

I'm HYPED AS HELL THOUGH. Daisy gonna be a new main for me along with Luigi and Ike!

Also, those who told me that girl at the end of the FE trailer is a loli dragon, what do you mean? I didn't see any indication that she was a dragon.

I swear if as one of her taunts it she doesn't have "HI! I'M DAISY!" i'll be sad. Also it was more or less speculation. When FE tends to add loli(s) they typically are dragons. Not including Nino i don't see very many small girls making it into FE without there being a specific reason. I think Mist was an exception. I was purely speculating. Sorry to state it as a fact

1 minute ago, Tediz64 said:

I swear if as one of her taunts it she doesn't have "HI! I'M DAISY!" i'll be sad. Also it was more or less speculation. When FE tends to add loli(s) they typically are dragons. Not including Nino i don't see very many small girls making it into FE without there being a specific reason. I think Mist was an exception. I was purely speculating. Sorry to state it as a fact

There are plenty of non-dragon lolis. What about all the little sister healers? And Nino as you said. Delthea is kind of loli as well.

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

There are plenty of non-dragon lolis. What about all the little sister healers? And Nino as you said. Delthea is kind of loli as well.

Hmmm...well....Ok. I guess. Maybe i was just psyched so i said it not really thinking about it. I guess they do make it in pretty often. But wouldn't that be hilarious if i was right though? xD

Ugh...  I'm not sure if I liked this.

It started out really well.  ...And then it all went downhill with Smash.

It felt like they spent half the Direct talking about what is basically a glorified port.  I don't know about you guys, but trying to please everyone by including literally every character feels a bit cheap.  I know that it has to do with the Invitational tournament later, but I don't even know if that's a good idea.

At least that new mecha game looks fun.  I thought it was an Armored Core game on the Switch, but it turned out to be something different.

Atlus is supposed to have their own thing at E3, right?  Maybe we'll get to see Shin Megami Tensei V then.  Maybe that'll make me feel better about Microsoft winning E3.

Ok everyone! I'm not in charge but i kinda feel we should all spilt and scatter into our respective forum sections and discuss things like Smash in detail on a Smash thread, Pokemon in a pokemon thread, and the i think FE16 has its own page too? I got loads to say but i feel like this thread will get cluttered. I'll just mossy on over and make the new threads

1 minute ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Ugh...  I'm not sure if I liked this.

It started out really well.  ...And then it all went downhill with Smash.

It felt like they spent half the Direct talking about what is basically a glorified port. 

It didn't just feel like they spent half of the direct, they literally spent 25 of of their 42 minutes talking about Smash, which is about 60% of the direct's runtime.

I'm honestly pretty disappointed with the presentation. I was happy with the trailer for XC2's DLC and it was great to finally get more news about FE16, but apart from that, there wasn't much there for me. I like Smash and all, but I honestly got bored halfway through the segment. I mostly disappointed that we didn't get an update on Metroid Prime 4. All we got last E3 was a short teaser and I was hoping we'd learn more this time around. 

9 minutes ago, LuxSpes said:

It didn't just feel like they spent half of the direct, they literally spent 25 of of their 42 minutes talking about Smash, which is about 60% of the direct's runtime.

I'm honestly pretty disappointed with the presentation. I was happy with the trailer for XC2's DLC and it was great to finally get more news about FE16, but apart from that, there wasn't much there for me. I like Smash and all, but I honestly got bored halfway through the segment. I mostly disappointed that we didn't get an update on Metroid Prime 4. All we got last E3 was a short teaser and I was hoping we'd learn more this time around. 

The fact they didn't have that in another video is the problem. Pretty sure they had a similar video for Smash4 and it wasn't in the direct.

Meanwhile, I'm not mad about it. Like I said, Microsoft stole the "win" imo.

Just now, Dayni said:

The fact they didn't have that in another video is the problem. Pretty sure they had a similar video for Smash4 and it wasn't in the direct.

Meanwhile, I'm not mad about it. Like I said, Microsoft stole the "win" imo.

I honestly thought at one point they should have had a dedicated Smash direct to go over all the changes or at least show all those small changes in the Treehouse portion and just keep the big reveals for the E3 direct. Would have been better to keep the non-hardcore Smash player interested. 

There's specific subforums dedicated to the new FE/Smash/Pokemon.  If you well and truly want to talk about it here, I won't stop you.  However, I think you'll get a better response in their respective subforums.

7 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Like I said, Microsoft stole the "win" imo.

Unless one's a Sony fanboi who's REALLY INTO PS4's exclusives

But why Ninty went with what's basically Smash: the conference. If you were expecting more Xenoblade/Pokemon/FE/Octopath guess your disappointment is justified

Strange that Bandai Namco announces DBFZ port but no Jump Force; guess it can't run on Switch's specs?

Sadly Switch missed out on KH3, after all the GBA had a KH game...

8 minutes ago, omglmaowtf said:

Unless one's a Sony fanboi who's REALLY INTO PS4's exclusives

I am and I have to say Microsoft had the best conference. Even if I don't personally want any of the exclusives, they got a lot of the multiplat reveals first and they had the strongest conference.

Lots of people saying Microsoft had the best conference. That's fair, I guess, since they showed off a ton of stuff. Personally I wasn't interested in most of what they showed. Nintendo's had a bigger impact with whatever the Mecha thing they showed was, New FE, and Smash Ultimate.

For the conference veredict:

1st place: Microsoft. They had the best one easily, while I don't care about a lot of their games the way they presented them was the most hype out of everything I saw.

2nd place: Nintendo. Smash alone is enough to bring hype but other than that it didn't really show a lot.

3rd place: Sony. The games looked great and a lot of fun but the conference itself was a disaster, at least the Spiderman game looks pretty great. 

let's be real, with over half the time spent to smash, it was pretty much an extended smash bros direct

looks like a fun game to be sure, but imagine how you feel if you're a fan who doesn't like smash bros?

The new Fire Emblem, eh... I'm not sure I like what we saw of it. I'll give it a chance for information closer to release.

7 minutes ago, Robert of Normandy said:

Lots of people saying Microsoft had the best conference. That's fair, I guess, since they showed off a ton of stuff. Personally I wasn't interested in most of what they showed. Nintendo's had a bigger impact with whatever the Mecha thing they showed was, New FE, and Smash Ultimate.

personally i wasn't interested in what Nintendo showed - does that means Nintendo sucks? doesn't seem like a good way to judge things to me. you could literally make up 'x company wins every year' going like that. And I pretty much hate Microsoft.

Edited by Tryhard

Nintendo Direct definitely light on the surprises. Fire Emblem had a very strong showing and I think Smash looks incredible.  Mario Party is definitely a great fit for the system with playable bowser and no car. Definitely keeping an eye on that. And the Hollow Knight Shadow Drop. Downloading as we speak, I've been waiting for that game. I feel like this Direct was really missing that one legacy franchise revival. Animal Crossing, F Zero, maybe some Metroid Prime 4. Not even Yoshi showed up but I'm sure already announced games will appear on the Treehouse streams like Pokemon Let's GO is at the moment. Not disappointed personally but as a conference this is pretty lackluster in terms of variety. 

If I had to rank all the conferences outside of my personal biases it would look like this (Devolver unranked because not fair):

Microsoft > Ubisoft >> Sony > Nintendo > Square Enix > Bethesda = EA

And when personal biases are in the picture:

Nintendo > Microsoft = Sony > Square Enix > EA >>> Bethesda. 

5 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

personally i wasn't interested in what Nintendo showed - does that means Nintendo sucks? doesn't seem like a good way to judge things to me. you could literally make up 'x company wins every year' going like that. And I pretty much hate Microsoft.

Never said Microsoft's conference sucked. Just that they didn't show much that interested in me. I even said it was fair to say they "won" based on all that they showed.

You know what I mean. It's easy to discount everything else if you're simply not interested in it, but it's not a good way of judging presentations or conferences.

Edited by Tryhard

I will probably go to the respective subforums after this post, but I just wanted to let everything out right now.

• Firstly, actual news about FE, very cool!  Hardly have time to get into it, so I'll just look at the analysis done by whichever SF editor jumps on it.
  • Too bad it's not releasing this year, though.
  • FEW-style graphics?  I wonder if the character eyes will move via texture-translation as well.  Makes porting them to other things kind of a tedious b****, but that's to be expected when they aren't really meant to be ported in the first place.
  • "Three Houses" makes it seem like a mix between Genealogy and Fates; maybe conflicts between dukedoms like Genealogy rather than full kingdoms like most other games, but three primary factions like in Fates.  I just hope that this time they don't split the game into three separate purchases again.
  • Holy hell, Daisy actually made it Smash.  I know of a certain GameFAQs user who will be abundantly pleased with this.  As someone who actually prefers Daisy to Peach, I approve of this as well.
  • Of course we got Ridley, and that dumb meme can finally be over.
  • Everyone returns to Smash?  That's pretty great, imo; I don't think any reasonable person likes cuts, even if some of them are clones.  As someone who actually likes Lucina, I'm glad she's still in.

Hell if I care about the "who won E3" crap.  It's all a matter of personal opinion.  And my personal opinion is that I liked Nintendo's presentation the most.

Didn't catch any of the first couple minutes, first thing I saw a second of what must be the next FE game. Lalalalala I looked away, don't tell me! Let me wait for the heat to die down.

Not big on Smash, since I don't do multiplayer competitive, online, or local. But Young Link returning is nice, if not needed. We still have Falcondorf though, and unlike Sheik, we don't need them to be that way.

Also Ridley's reveal trailer, well I had the volume muted so I though the Smash part of things was over. At the very first few moments, I had the unrealistic expectation it was totally something else, what crossed my mind was:

Spoiler

The post-credits scene of (last warning!):

Spoiler

Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Spoiler

I mistook the setting for the Lifehold Core and Samus for Elma. That they were going to start right where the first game left off. 

And then when I saw it was Smash, I thought it was for Elma not Ridley.