Final Fantasy VII: Remake-It Exists!

Dai

3 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Trying to make to make the FF7 remake into episodes sounds like an odd idea. How long will it take for the entire game to be released. In the year 2035? The only other series that tried going to model for a game is Half Life 2, and that series got canned.

It sounds like a shit idea, imo. :/
But maybe they are just scared, but still, carry your balls Square.

You know, it's kind of funny how we had a lot of FF Remake, and yet, it seems that this one, the FF7 one, is the one who is truly remade in everything, from scratch. It's very ambitious from them, perhaps too much. Because seriously, episodes ? That makes me ill.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And speaking of length, wonder how new Supernova and Knights of the Round are going to look? Hopefully I won't be able to order a pizza in the time they take to finish now.

Bahamut ZERO called, he felt left out.
You shouldn't command a pizza, though it's bad for health.

2 hours ago, Etheus said:

I am worried about the gameplay.

Square does not understand action combat. FF15 combat was not good, and I hope they can turn it around for FF7 Remake.

Still haven't played FF15 Boysband, and I do want to play it... but upon reading your post I remembered that, a certain French youtuber compared the fights of the game as a 'simulation of taking a shit behind rocks or the bushes'  It was quite funny. :p
I'm not immature.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Trying to make to make the FF7 remake into episodes sounds like an odd idea. How long will it take for the entire game to be released. In the year 2035? The only other series that tried going to model for a game is Half Life 2, and that series got canned.

The only other ones were basically Telltale games entire library, though those were unprofitable along with a load of other problems in the work culture of the studio. Another was the .hack// series but those were clearly mostly finished before even the first installment released. This game is going to either be padded as hell or have minuscule episodes to excuse this.

But yeah, this seems like a really dumb thing to do. And like Slumber says, Nomura and Kitase seem to have a false memory of an FFVII that never existed. It's weird how the best interpretation of Cloud since VII has been of all things his appearance in Smash Bros. I'm getting serious George Lucas/JK Rowling vibes

Edited by Aiddon

it's good to see that the FFVIIR project is still being developed. however, i gotta say that i'm quite disappointed and sad about the lack of previous iconic voice actors for the main characters.

we're talking about people like Steve Burton(Cloud) and George Newbern(Sephiroth) that over the years gave their voice for games such as Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, Kingdom Hearts 1~2, Dissidia and of course the Advent Children movie. they should have been in VIIR as well, and i honestly have no idea why they decided to change voice actors.

as for the game being split in parts, i suppose it's going to follow the FF XIII route.

from what i understood, the first episode will be all about Midgar, since the main focus was to expand the Avalanche backstory from the original game. they're probably going to add new stuff involving Barret's group, but i guess we'll have to wait for the E3 in order to see more.

the original FFVII was and still is one of the best JRPGs from the 90's, however due to different gameplay system and graphics, i wouldn't really compare it with VIIR since they're 2 entirely different titles on their own that only have a story to share.

i consider VIIR more like an alternative version of the original game, rather than a real remake. but that's just how i feel about it.

also, on a side note:

aerith.jpg

i don't know if they're using the same engine of KH3, but i swear that's THE most gorgeous render of Aerith ever created.

a screenshot alone isn't enough to show how beautiful her render is right now, you have to watch the trailer to really understand. i could get lost in those eyes.

46 minutes ago, Aiddon said:

And like Slumber says, Nomura and Kitase seem to have a false memory of an FFVII that never existed.

I've never seen the randomly stoic and edgy Cloud, having never played or watched anything but VII and Smash (Crisis Core does sound sorta interesting though). But the way I thought I read a line from Nomura concerning KH1 Cloud, it sounded like "Cloud needs Tifa to guide him from darkness to light". And this isn't wholly untrue, Cloud does eventually get glum, and Tifa is important for bringing him out of it.

-This issue is Glum Cloud is not all that Cloud is. He starts FFVII cool, confident, a little cocky, extremely talented, and perfectly sociable. This is the Cloud people fell in love with.

I do think the continual chase for Sephiroth does gradually and slightly wear Cloud down, but his change to broken melancholy is quite sudden from what I remember. And, this change lasts for what, 10 hours of the mid-lategame? For the rest of your, I dunno, 50-70 hour journey, Cloud is a wholly different person.

You need Cool Cloud for Glum Cloud to matter, since the changeover is dramatic and is supposed to make you feel sympathy for him. His fall to Glum Cloud and rise back out of it to who he was before despite knowing what he now knows, is what develops him as a character, since I'm not sure off the top of my head if he otherwise does.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

I have a bad feeling they're going to omit a lot of the goofier scenes in the game. I really hope they don't, but it's Nomura, and his vision of FF7(Based on Advent Children and Kingdom Hearts) seems to be wildly different than the one everyone else experienced.

You have an excellent point, which is a bit disappointing no offence of course. I'm not one of those that thinks it will ruin the experience because it's not the "true" FF7, but I honestly enjoyed some of those little skits. How are they going to fill those gaps, then? Like jumping off the dolphin, or recessitating the girl? If they get rid of them, okay. But they are kinda a part of the game.

Edited by lightcosmo

28 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-This issue is Glum Cloud is not all that Cloud is. He starts FFVII cool, confident, a little cocky, extremely talented, and perfectly sociable. This is the Cloud people fell in love with.

I do think the continual chase for Sephiroth does gradually and slightly wear Cloud down, but his change to broken melancholy is quite sudden from what I remember. And, this change lasts for what, 10 hours of the mid-lategame? For the rest of your, I dunno, 50-70 hour journey, Cloud is a wholly different person.

Oh hey, someone who get it. Bring him a pizza. You're so not prepared for AV though, because the Glum is there and boy, it's out of nowhere.
Like, I thought it was the point of the end of the game, to deal with everything and put an end to it all, or am I just stupid ? Of were they was just that stupid ?

And then the Compilation, put oil on the fire of my confusion.

The funny thing is, Cloud, pre-mindscrew, had his moment of dorkiness of all things, and they were quite funny, so I dunno why people talk about it post mindscrew as if it was a big change and everything.

4 minutes ago, B.Leu said:

The funny thing is, Cloud, pre-mindscrew, had his moment of dorkiness of all things, and they were quite funny, so I dunno why people talk about it post mindscrew as if it was a big change and everything.

Even once Cloud gets his mind back together and fully separates himself from Zack, he's a determined leader.

Emo Cloud from KH and AC REALLY comes out of nowhere.

I know it's the hot thing to blame Nomura for everything, but it's the only thing I can think of.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I've never seen the randomly stoic and edgy Cloud, having never played or watched anything but VII and Smash (Crisis Core does sound sorta interesting though). But the way I thought I read a line from Nomura concerning KH1 Cloud, it sounded like "Cloud needs Tifa to guide him from darkness to light". And this isn't wholly untrue, Cloud does eventually get glum, and Tifa is important for bringing him out of it.

I do think the continual chase for Sephiroth does gradually and slightly wear Cloud down, but his change to broken melancholy is quite sudden from what I remember. And, this change lasts for what, 10 hours of the mid-lategame at most? For the rest of your, I dunno, 50-70 hour journey, Cloud is a wholly different person.

You need Cool Cloud for Glum Cloud to matter, since the changeover is dramatic and is supposed to make you feel sympathy for him. His fall to Glum Cloud and rise back out of it to who he was before despite knowing what he now knows, is what develops him as a character, since I'm not sure off the top of my head if he otherwise does.

the problem with Nomura has always been storytelling. the Kingdom Hearts franchise is a very good example of that, sadly.

i really hope Kitase will take care of the story development. Nomura should just focus on characters design, since that's usually the thing he does best.

as for Cloud, you need to play/watch both the original FFVII and Crisis Core in order to understand what Cloud has been through.

he starts as cocky and arrogant not because that's always been his attitude, but because many terrible things happened to him before. he's been hurt and traumatized to the point that he had to make up a new personality by himself in order to move on after the events of the Nibelheim's incident. what people see from early to mid-game is just a mask created by a man with a broken mind.

back in '97, the game had a whole different image because it had his own unique story, themes and overall dark atmosphere, but it also had funny, peaceful and memorable moments that allowed people to step away from the bad stuff once in a while, while getting to know the characters better.

the problem is that Nomura's vision of Cloud isn't obviously the same that was for other people back in the days of SquareSoft. in every other spin-off game, he's portrayed as the gloomy character he becomes after finding himself again, but that's probably just the vision that Nomura liked and remember the most. Advent Children is proof of that.

also, the whole Cloud~Tifa story isn't exactly a "canon" thing, but rather just an alternative route of what could have actually been in the original game. in the end, some concepts got discarded on the way to the final product due to different reasons( mainly story development ), but Aerith always played a big part in guiding Cloud as well, both before/after the event of FF VII.

i do agree about the character development though, that has to be close to the original as much as possible in order for it to work, otherwise it will be just another edgy version of Cloud.

Edited by Fenreir

37 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Even once Cloud gets his mind back together and fully separates himself from Zack, he's a determined leader.

I know it's the hot thing to blame Nomura for everything, but it's the only thing I can think of.

Yeah, Cloud in VII is mostly just jaded and sardonic. He's definitely flippant but is genuinely witty and there are clearly people he cares about and goals he strives towards. The battle at Sector 7 makes him go all-in with Avalanche and when Sephiroth enters the picture he REALLY changes because he knows what they're up against. Mopy Cloud lasts from Aerith's death to his realization of his past. That's probably only six hours of gameplay at best, and that's me really stretching it. And this is why Cloud is such a great character; he goes through a wide range of emotions and has a very dynamic, complex arc about forgiveness, self-loathing, guilt, and ego. Trying to reduce him to just "mopey Cloud" is such a disservice that Square keeps doing.

And Cloud isn't the only character to suffer from it, what with him turning Aerith from a feisty slum dweller to every freaking "demure white mage" stereotype ever. The point of her was that at first glance she LOOKS  like and has a story like the virtuous, unsullied girl but she's actually flirty, tomboyish, perky, and tough as nails. Tifa meanwhile looks like the seductive, biker babe tomboy but is actually the most maternal.

So, it's pretty clear that Nomura and Kitase have never actually examined the game at a critical level, instead just cherry picking stuff they personally liked and trying to push that as the canon.

I never played ff7 so I can't say anything about ff7 cloud. I can however say that I found non FF7 Cloud a total bore for the most part and I don't doubt it when people say he might have strayed a bit form his original game's self.

But I thought Square Enix realised that mistake and  started moving Cloud's character back in the right direction. In Dissidia NT he's a lot more open and sociable then in his other non ff7 appearances at least. He actually seems pretty chill and amused around goofball Bartz.

So I'm not worried about Cloud's character just yet. Of course I also don't have many reasons to be worried since I don't really have much knowledge of ff7 Cloud other then the basics.

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

He's always a determined leader though, well, except directly after mindscrew, but you see what I mean.

The Compilation, Advent Children, Crisis Core, whatever, made FF7 more tedious than it should have been imo.

I can accept that there's a difference between pre and post mindscrew Cloud, yeah, but it's nothing that justify him manteling DarkSasukedu71 after the game. Like, it's the point of an end of a game, to wrap things up. Without contents of questionable quality.

KH at least have the excuse from being from another universe, with his own different problems, but even that is scretching it as how... edgy and dumb all of it is.  Dunno about KH3.

3 hours ago, Fenreir said:

he starts as cocky and arrogant not because that's always been his attitude, but because many terrible things happened to him before. he's been hurt and traumatized to the point that he had to make up a new personality by himself in order to move on after the events of the Nibelheim's incident. what people see from early to mid-game is just a mask created by a man with a broken mind.

I do remember the entire thing of being a lowly SOLDIER grunt and ashamed of it because of Tifa love made him wish he was more. This is followed by a dip in a vat of Hojo stuff and then taking the identity of the dying Zack just as he comes back from his stupor. But the point I was making is that Cool Cloud on the original FFVII boxart sincerely believed he was cool. Your portrayal is absolutely right, but for the player and for Cloud himself, until Hojo breaks the mask, Cloud the ace SOLDIER is how he truly is thought to be. 

This makes Cloud different from... I can't quite think of an example offhand. Maybe Squall actually, to name Cloud's immediate successor. Squall doesn't want to be lonely, but acts stoic and ends up being lonely to avoid feeling loss and the specific loneliness that creates. Although given the Guardian Force memory erasure thing they throw in, Squall might not recall the exact origins of his mask. Nonetheless, Squall knows at least the reasoning behind his mask. Cloud can't recall the reasons and origins of his own mask at all. These are related but distinct dynamics. One consciously fools all but oneself, the other unwitting fools all including themselves.

9 minutes ago, B.Leu said:

Dunno about KH3.

If you're asking about Cloud in KH3, he isn't. No Final Fantasy characters in KH3 at all. Only some guy who I hear is called Yozora who is related to a minigame called Verum Rex. He is the embodiment of Master Eraqus being torn from his beloved project due to him taking so long Xehanort stole it and had Xemnas finish it so Eraqus could get back to work on Fiefdoms Souls and End Dream Reborn.

4 hours ago, Aiddon said:

Nomura and Kitase seem to have a false memory of an FFVII that never existed.

3 hours ago, Fenreir said:

i really hope Kitase will take care of the story development. Nomura should just focus on characters design, since that's usually the thing he does best.

Which of these statements is true? Is Kitase a first party to Cloud's turn from ? to ??⛈???? Or not?

Another thing is:

This is a joke, but it does remind me that FF7 has a lot to say in ways games today feel the need to promise that they don't in order to avoid backlash for being "too political". Hell we live in a world where a new Wolfenstein game is deemed insensitive because killing Nazis in fiction is only okay in the direct context of World War 2. Or how Jax's ending in Mortal Kombat 11 "advocates white genocide" because he uses time travel to make the world a better place for everybody. When you see a headline or thumbnail for a terrible thinkpiece saying "SJWs put leftist propaganda in FF7 Remake", remember that no games are made in a vacuum. And video games aren't "pure" just because they go out of their way to avoid conditioning the player to think or feel a certain way. I don't want to live in a world where games are silenced to the point of making me feel nothing.

In the case of FF7, there's a possibility a lot of what it says will be dilluted or placed into the background in favor of the conflict between Cloud and Sephiroth. Like Jim Sterling says in his Oh Mah Gawd Hype video, people who don't play FF7 or any of its tertiary media probably think the conflict between these two characters is the central element of the story, but it's not. And I hope that doesn't become the case in the remake as evidenced by what appears to be a new scene between the two at the end of the trailer.

21 minutes ago, B.Leu said:

Dunno about KH3.

haha...I detect significantly less people refer to Kingdom Hearts as a crossover between Disney and Final Fantasy in the wake of this most recent game.

Edited by Glennstavos

20 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

This is a joke, but it does remind me that FF7 has a lot to say in ways games today feel the need to promise that they don't in order to avoid backlash for being "too political". Hell we live in a world where a new Wolfenstein game is deemed insensitive because killing Nazis in fiction is only okay in the direct context of World War 2. Or how Jax's ending in Mortal Kombat 11 "advocates white genocide" because he uses time travel to make the world a better place for everybody. When you see a headline or thumbnail for a terrible thinkpiece saying "SJWs put leftist propaganda in FF7 Remake", remember that no games are made in a vacuum. And video games aren't "pure" just because they go out of their way to avoid conditioning the player to think or feel a certain way. I don't want to live in a world where games are silenced to the point of making me feel nothing.

Although the entire "Let's be environmental terrorists!" point is undermined when Barret admits he joined Avalanche mostly for revenge on Shinra for what it did to his town. And at the end of the game, everyone agrees "We don't actually care about the planet, we're only fighting for those we love.", which is rather anti-idealistic. Even though relating something to something personal and important to oneself is a good way to get people to agree to support causes built on lofty ideals.

Though you are right that anti-Shinra and pro-environment messages are very important in VII. They start before Sephiroth show up, and fill in much of the game. Sephiroth comes and goes, whereas Shinra is the more felt threat until the Meteor shows up, and even then Shinra gets a lot of attention. 

However, Sephiroth isn't a villain in the shadows, "Sephiroth"- Jenova's- appearances throughout the game and the Nibelheim flashback familiarize the player with him. He was intended I believe to be an active and continual objective of the heroes for a constant fixed enemy to pursue to add immediate weight and drama or something. Sorta like Dhoulmagus later in Dragon Quest VIII.

2 hours ago, Aiddon said:

That's probably only six hours of gameplay at best, and that's me really stretching it.

I forgot to ask, was that how long it only was? You've the meeting at last with Sephiroth and Hojo at the Northern Crater. Followed by the breakout from Shinra as they take on Sapphire Weapon, then it's the first Huge Materia and the Submarine, and I think one of the other Huge Materia? I forget some of the details. 

39 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I forgot to ask, was that how long it only was? You've the meeting at last with Sephiroth and Hojo at the Northern Crater. Followed by the breakout from Shinra as they take on Sapphire Weapon, then it's the first Huge Materia and the Submarine, and I think one of the other Huge Materia? I forget some of the details. 

Yeah, the mopey Cloud segment from Aerith's death to him remembering what actually happened at Nibelheim is, at best, 10% of the entire story. It goes:

-Aerith's death
-Go to Icicle Inn
-Explore Great Glacier
-Meet Sephiroth at Northern Crater
-Escape Shinra
-Find Cloud in Mideel
-Find Huge Materia at Fort Condor and Corel
-Meet Cloud again at Mideel where his memories are restored

That's it, that's not a long segment of the story. It's why I'm confident in saying that guys like Nomura and Kitase cherry-picked Cloud's characterization from that segment and clearly lost sight of the bigger picture.

15 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I do remember the entire thing of being a lowly SOLDIER grunt and ashamed of it because of Tifa love made him wish he was more. This is followed by a dip in a vat of Hojo stuff and then taking the identity of the dying Zack just as he comes back from his stupor. But the point I was making is that Cool Cloud on the original FFVII boxart sincerely believed he was cool. Your portrayal is absolutely right, but for the player and for Cloud himself, until Hojo breaks the mask, Cloud the ace SOLDIER is how he truly is thought to be. 

This makes Cloud different from... I can't quite think of an example offhand. Maybe Squall actually, to name Cloud's immediate successor. Squall doesn't want to be lonely, but acts stoic and ends up being lonely to avoid feeling loss and the specific loneliness that creates. Although given the Guardian Force memory erasure thing they throw in, Squall might not recall the exact origins of his mask. Nonetheless, Squall knows at least the reasoning behind his mask. Cloud can't recall the reasons and origins of his own mask at all. These are related but distinct dynamics. One consciously fools all but oneself, the other unwitting fools all including themselves.

yeah, that's pretty much how it is.

however, Cloud's mental breakdown didn't happen only due to traumatic events, but partially because he was being poisoned by Mako energy as well. that was also part of the reason behind the personality shift after Zack's death, and the visions/possession of Sephiroth through the game up until the "reunion" with the Black Materia. it wasn't a voluntary decision, but rather a terrible consequence of all that happened before.

in Squall's case, the Guardian Force memory thing is just a secondary factor that let him forget a part of his past, but the reasons behind his cold and cool attitude were not caused by this. he's always been a serious and lonely character not only because of painful events from his past, but also because he choose by himself to be like that in order to avoid the feeling of loss again. the main difference between Cloud and Squall is that while the former always had feelings and thoughts related to people from his past and present, the latter starts with close to none but slowly develops feelings for the people he has around him as time goes on.

15 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Which of these statements is true? Is Kitase a first party to Cloud's turn from ? to ??⛈???? Or not?

you just need to look at all previous FF VII related games and check their directors, then you'll have an answer. that's also why Cloud's versions in FF VII and Crisis Core are so different from all the other titles.

overall, i'd say Kitase just lost sight of what Cloud really was in the original game. maybe the sudden change of voice actors in the recent trailer could be related to that, so there's some hope.

16 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

In the case of FF7, there's a possibility a lot of what it says will be dilluted or placed into the background in favor of the conflict between Cloud and Sephiroth. Like Jim Sterling says in his Oh Mah Gawd Hype video, people who don't play FF7 or any of its tertiary media probably think the conflict between these two characters is the central element of the story, but it's not. And I hope that doesn't become the case in the remake as evidenced by what appears to be a new scene between the two at the end of the trailer.

FF7 was unique because it challenged themes that partially reflects our reality, and that's one of the things that made it interesting. the game was indeed never meant to be only about the conflict between Cloud and Sephiroth.

it's always been about saving the world from disaster, be it from man's ambitions, or natural calamity( well, not really "natural" because Jenova and Meteor were actually being "forced" upon the planet, but anyone who played the game got the point anyway ). the opening with Aerith praying to the Lifestream, and the ending with Midgar in ruins covered by the vegetation were always a clear hint to that, and i hope it will be the same for the Remake, even if i already have my doubts.

16 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I detect significantly less people refer to Kingdom Hearts as a crossover between Disney and Final Fantasy in the wake of this most recent game.

because that's not anymore what it once was. the only thing it shares with FF nowdays are the moogles and the spells/gummiships names, nothing else.

all the rest is just Nomura's dreams and delusions taking form. the fact that both Riku and Yozora have almost the same identical hairstyle of Noctis could also be the proof that he hasn't yet moved on after what happened with FF XV.

besides, a lot of people expected to finally see an end to the Xehanort saga after 15 years of spin offs by putting back all the pieces in their rightful place, instead we got trolled and brought back once again to square one at the end of the game. that was a major disappointment for many fans, and at this point i'm not sure how many people will be still willing to follow and support that franchise.

59 minutes ago, Fenreir said:

besides, a lot of people expected to finally see an end to the Xehanort saga after 15 years of spin offs by putting back all the pieces in their rightful place, instead we got trolled and brought back once again to square one at the end of the game. that was a major disappointment for many fans, and at this point i'm not sure how many people will be still willing to follow and support that franchise.

The thing with Kingdom Hearts is that most of the fans are people who have been with the series since the beginning (I classify the beginning as Kingdom Hearts, Chain of Memories and Kingdom Hearts 2). So even with KH3 being disappointing, the fans will still stick around because the nostalgia factor is too strong. Which is also why Nomura keeps getting away with his terrible writing. Probably.

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The thing with Kingdom Hearts is that most of the fans are people who have been with the series since the beginning (I classify the beginning as Kingdom Hearts, Chain of Memories and Kingdom Hearts 2). So even with KH3 being disappointing, the fans will still stick around because the nostalgia factor is too strong. Which is also why Nomura keeps getting away with his terrible writing. Probably.

i have my doubts about it. people grow and their mentality/tastes also change over time. with an awful move like that, it's unlikely that the older fans will take the bait again if they're smart enough.

all the previous titles were meant to build upon the story until the closing act that should have been KH3, yet it's been just another story shift. the only good thing about the game are the visuals and partially some gameplay concepts, but everything else is just hollow and repetitive content. you can't balance the lack of quality with pretty graphics alone.

i surely won't be buying another title of that franchise again, unless i see a drastic change in story and world settings, wich is unlikely to happen knowing Nomura. i'd rather just watch the story on youtube out of curiosity, if i really deem it worthy of attention.

for now, i'll just hope for a good FF7 remake. i wonder what we'll see at E3. some people are already talking about launch dates, but i'm keeping my expectations low for the time being.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I'm a huge KH fan, and I'm pretty sure after that disappointment, I'm not looking forward to the next game. The gameplay killed KH3 for me. My expectations for FF7 arent as high, so I'm not going to be sorely dissapointed.

On 5/11/2019 at 11:03 AM, Fenreir said:

Haha, it's probably because I started the series with Days and then Birth By Sleep before all the other games,
but personally I was quite content with the ending of KH3 as it finally provided closure for the characters I started the series with; That was all I wanted from the game.
(Meanwhile I already felt like Sora and co got a nice ending from KH2, and... so... I am actually kinda fine with their more bittersweet ending in KH3, it truly expresses Sora's character.)

So I am open to KH4... but I definitely have my complaints with KH3 that I don't want to go through again.

Kingdom Hearts aside;
I must say, it's been nice to read so much discussion on Cloud's character,
it's definitely one of the things I am quite concerned about with this remake.

On 5/10/2019 at 8:30 AM, B.Leu said:

Still haven't played FF15 Boysband, and I do want to play it... but upon reading your post I remembered that, a certain French youtuber compared the fights of the game as a 'simulation of taking a shit behind rocks or the bushes'  It was quite funny. :p

I'm not immature.

Combat is as interesting as you want it to be.  Airstepping makes things a lot more fun.  So does discarding all of your recovery items.

21 hours ago, Puzzle044 said:

I must say, it's been nice to read so much discussion on Cloud's character,
it's definitely one of the things I am quite concerned about with this remake.

I'm meh on Cloud.  I'm in for Aerith, Vincent, and Red XIII.

43 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I'm meh on Cloud.  I'm in for Aerith, Vincent, and Red XIII.

Great choices!
Those are the other characters I nearly always have in my party.
(With Aerith and Vincent switching places due to the well known spoiler ...which I am starting to realize is no longer as well known as it once was.)

https://www.finalfantasyunion.com/news/3357/tetsuya-nomura-reveals-compilation-of-ffvii-is-not-canon-to-ffvii-remake/

This was revealed when asked about the possibility of a HD collection of the titles from the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII: Before Crisis, Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus similar to what Nomura did with the Kingdom Hearts series. Here's what Nomura said.

Concerning Final Fantasy VII Remake, which is a title loaded with a lot of mystery for now, it will be different from the original Final Fantasy VII. If we make a compilation, these games will hardly have an overall coherence. It will be difficult because there is no more continuity between the Compilation and the Remake for the moment

No Genesis in this game.