Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Hey, incidentally: I started playing Project Ember with the fixed growths patch they offer yesterday and I'm having a blast so far! One thing I really like is that everyone's useful from the outset. More characters double basic enemies at base, for one thing, including Wolt! I like how this makes my party feel like one I've already had for a while, which alleviates the annoyances I have with early chapters when they try to get too hard. They also seem to have removed ambush spawns.

I'm not playing the maniac mode they offer, mostly because the devs said they were inspired by the higher difficulties of New Mystery that I don't particularly care for. Maybe after I beat hard mode if I'm still looking for a challenge? But I don't think so at the moment.

Would anyone be interested in seeing me post more thoughts about it? Not in a playlog sort of way but more like this. If so, I'm debating where would be appropriate.

It may be better to start a new thread for Ember, so if you decide to do the next fire emblem game it won't go Fe16, Ember, then, Fe17.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, BubbleOdyssey said:

It may be better to start a new thread for Ember, so if you decide to do the next fire emblem game it won't go Fe16, Ember, then, Fe17.

Yeah that's what I figured. Where, do you think? It wouldn't be detailed enough to qualify as a let's play.

Props on completing this. Two years is a long time. I dropped off after sacred stones cause I didn't know any of the other games after that, and since I had completed a grand total of five FE games, them being 1,2,6,7, and 8. Since I dropped off, I finished Thracia and Por, and am in the middle of 4 and awakening. Glad to see a huge project like this finish. I enjoyed your breakdowns of every game that I read, and your ranking system did seem pretty fun, if I disagree with the final rankings a bit. Gaiden should get +100 points for having bigle in it, dangit!

If I could suggest hacks to try, I'd suggest playing through The Last Promise, Vision Quest, and Code Of The Burger King.

Project Ember's definitely something to try out, cause a lot of people who dislike FE6 enjoy Ember. Personally I preferred FE6, but PE does make some changes I can get behind.

• 8 months later...
46 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Apparently the marathon will resume in January.

First impressions in two sentences:

"I have never felt so dead inside. I don't know what to think except that I don't want to think at all."

Three Hopes?

18 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I dunno about spinoff games. Especially since if I open up that can of worms I'll suddenly have a big backlog, and I've been growing to appreciate the free time to pursue other hobbies.

I took the January date and extrapolated that there's just been an announcement I wasn't aware of. So...yeah, just saw that trailer. Guess they really like how well Heroes is doing.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

I took the January date and extrapolated that there's just been an announcement I wasn't aware of. So...yeah, just saw that trailer. Guess they really like how well Heroes is doing.

I didn't think I would ever feel so numb to a Fire Emblem announcement.

I don't want to think, I don't want to feel.

Hype is a scam and hope is a lie.

1 minute ago, Alastor15243 said:

The few glimpses of maps that people have been analyzing suggests the quality, even early on, exceeds that of 3H. Perhaps, just perhaps, you could find some redemption in the gameplay despite flawed story and aesthetics, not unlike Fates.

But yes, hype is an-all-too-human mistake, and non-attachment is ideal if you don't wish to feel needless suffering from material things.

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Yeah to me Engage looks...like just about the worst thing to be honest, I have literally no hype based on what I've heard and the screen caps I've seen. (I only watched the very first initial reveal thing then stopped.) 

Hype is for foolish sheeple who are manipulated by a mass media. A real man buys it unquestionably without being hyped at all!...Wait a second, that's not any better in the slightest. Oh well, I am what I am.

9 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Yeah to me Engage looks...like just about the worst thing to be honest, I have literally no hype based on what I've heard and the screen caps I've seen. (I only watched the very first initial reveal thing then stopped.) 

come join me in the line of "cant take FE seriously anymore" XD

it might become "so bad its good" kinda stuff. it already worst thing to happen, maybe it just need to double down to bounce back being fun (not good)

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

A real man buys it unquestionably without being hyped at all!...Wait a second, that's not any better in the slightest. Oh well, I am what I am.

thats not just real man, thats gigachad. not caring whether what you buy is good or not and still enjoy it 😉

---------------------------------------------------

i might actually looking forward to be engaged with this thread when Engage happen

Edited by joevar

7 hours ago, joevar said:

come join me in the line of "cant take FE seriously anymore" XD

it might become "so bad its good" kinda stuff. it already worst thing to happen, maybe it just need to double down to bounce back being fun (not good)

thats not just real man, thats gigachad. not caring whether what you buy is good or not and still enjoy it 😉

---------------------------------------------------

i might actually looking forward to be engaged with this thread when Engage happen

I could take FE seriously somewhat when Echoes/FE3H were good but Engage looks like a running jump far back into the non-Echoes 3DS Era that I didn't like.

Echoes was a remake with a new director just for it and Three Houses was Koei so I'm seriously wondering if "mainline Intelligent Systems" FE is going to fully stay as something I hate.

Edited by Samz707

1 minute ago, Samz707 said:

I could take FE seriously somewhat when Echoes/FE3H were good but Engage looks like a running jump far back into the non-Echoes 3DS Era that I didn't like.

Echoes was a remake with a new director just for it and Three Houses was Koei so I'm seriously wondering if "mainline Intelligent Systems" FE is going to fully stay as something I hate.

thats worrying ngl. but echoes and 3H being taken seriously is also what i thought the direction FE will take going forward. only for it to backflip real hard and potentially breaks its spine already 

dunno what kind of excuses for this game now that they miss the 30th anniv theme like the leak suggest. the plot screams bog standard FE, theres marth pandering (90% sure), avatar worship, even more cartoonishly evil villain barring jedah.

but i might still play it for the lulz. gameplay could be good with the return of triangle , no battalion (hopefully), and tomes

Just now, Alastor15243 said:

Signs point to no battalions. Cha isn't a stat on the stat screen.

oh didnt realize that. neat!

its a bit early, but no battalion also means theres going to be a lot of map that looks "tight". which could mean less boring looking field when zoomed in than 3H. 3H is so ugly imo and have messed up sense of scale just so it could fit battalion anywehere anytime

1 minute ago, joevar said:

its a bit early, but no battalion also means theres going to be a lot of map that looks "tight". which could mean less boring looking field when zoomed in than 3H. 3H is so ugly imo and have messed up sense of scale just so it could fit battalion anywehere anytime

Agreed. Also, there's no sign of the turnwheel. Yet. But I'm not exactly holding out too much hope about that. Even though its removal or delegation to a casual/classic toggle is basically the only way I can conceive of enjoying the series again.

48 minutes ago, joevar said:

thats worrying ngl. but echoes and 3H being taken seriously is also what i thought the direction FE will take going forward. only for it to backflip real hard and potentially breaks its spine already 

dunno what kind of excuses for this game now that they miss the 30th anniv theme like the leak suggest. the plot screams bog standard FE, theres marth pandering (90% sure), avatar worship, even more cartoonishly evil villain barring jedah.

but i might still play it for the lulz. gameplay could be good with the return of triangle , no battalion (hopefully), and tomes

Honestly I liked Battalions in FE3H, Barrel AOE explosion is fun.

If I recall in the R/FE Discord it seems movement is being reduced and it seems the rings can give a Pair-up Like bonus (such as Attack Stance with Marth) so the gameplay seems to be a wash for me. (Since both of those things are just about the last things I want in FE.) 

27 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Honestly I liked Battalions in FE3H, Barrel AOE explosion is fun.

i dont exactly hate battalion logic. but i hate what comes with it in terms of design.

i mean this part:

1 hour ago, joevar said:

but no battalion also means theres going to be a lot of map that looks "tight". which could mean less boring looking field when zoomed in than 3H. 3H is so ugly imo and have messed up sense of scale just so it could fit battalion anywehere anytime

battalion looks like unruly mob that gets scattered to the wind just because someone felled is dumb too. its more gimmick than actual gameplay.

30 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

If I recall in the R/FE Discord it seems movement is being reduced and it seems the rings can give a Pair-up Like bonus

pair up is busted that much i agree and wont argue. but movement being reduced is not something i find being a problem since many SRPG has low movement too and still fine.

we just need to wait for FE4 remake for long Mov Emblem aka cavalry emblem

3 hours ago, joevar said:

i dont exactly hate battalion logic. but i hate what comes with it in terms of design.

i mean this part:

battalion looks like unruly mob that gets scattered to the wind just because someone felled is dumb too. its more gimmick than actual gameplay.

pair up is busted that much i agree and wont argue. but movement being reduced is not something i find being a problem since many SRPG has low movement too and still fine.

we just need to wait for FE4 remake for long Mov Emblem aka cavalry emblem

I think the gimmick is more just the visual stuff, the actual gameplay side is good I feel.

I do agree it looks silly and I feel it actually calls more attention to the fact FE battles aren't as large as they would realistically be rather than hide it.

Edited by Samz707

• 3 weeks later...