Alastor15243

Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Now Playing: Birthright!

Birthright Day 10: Chapter 16

Oh goodie, we've got a speed and res boost for Silas! Not that he needs it to be awesome, but that's gonna be great if shit hits the fan.

...Especially since we've got some issues with deployment to deal with.

I'm in a hurry since it's a Friday, so no castle visits today. Sorry! Let's check out the map and see what our deployment's looking like...

But first, of course... the “story”.

I'm sorry, when I hear the music “Obsidian Ruler” and then see the camera pan down on Castle Krakenburg... this is all I can think of:

Gentlemen... BEHOLD! I have written my novella's third chapter on the wall... in my own excrement! I HAVE LITERALLY PULLED PLOT POINTS OUT OF MY ASS! AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!”

Anyway, Garon all but explicitly says that Iago was responsible for the explosion both this time and... fucking... somehow with Ganglari in Hoshido? How the fuck was Iago involved there? And if he wasn't, who is Garon lying to here?

But yeah, Iago's in deep shit with Garon now for his repeated failures.

...Oh right, the “we need medicine” plot point. Takumi caught something off the wolfskin and the object of today's map is to get him medicine to save his life.

That also means he's out of commission for this battle when I literally just promoted him.

Christ, this is gonna be a shitshow. Let's hope I can fill all the slots.

This CG with the sick Takumi looks... weird. The 3D models used here, particularly the facial expressions, feel completely unnatural somehow. I'm vaguely reminded of amateur 3D comics.

It's weird that both times someone gets sick, it happens in Macarath. I don't see them saying anything here about Macarath being famous for its medicine or anything, so surely raiding any apothecary would do for this plot point?

Whatever, I guess I'll learn more when I see the corresponding chapter in Conquest.

Ryoma yet again mentions his highly detailed intelligence reports that somehow didn't inform him that Nohr is in the middle of a fucking food crisis.

God, I just never get used to seeing Corrin's assless cavalry uniform in story scenes. Every damned time I see it, it takes me off guard and makes me burst out laughing.

Interesting. They're using the Conquest map for the scene here, not the totally-indoor Birthright one we're about to play.

Right, and now we reunite with Flora, a reunion that is going to be comically short-lived. Or should I say... short-fused.

Right, now Iago shows up, time to fight, yada yada.

I do like that they have some semblance of an excuse why Flora isn't helping you fight in this battle: she's been... knocked out.

...By... fire.

Aside from choking them with smoke (which clearly isn't what happened), how the fuck do you knock somebody out with fire?

Anyway, on to the map.

...Christ, I am not ready for this fucking first turn. The place is so overloaded with enemies that there's no way I can do any kind of player-phase shit with my current army. I may need to use Ryoma as a panic button starting out, and getting Dakota wounded for vow of friendship would probably be a very good use of my time as well. I should also get a defense boost meal and maybe some tonics as well, because I need Ryoma and Silas to tank a lot of stuff.

Alright, I gave both Ryoma and Silas HP, defense and resistance tonics. Probably overkill, but I don't want to risk losing anyone after what happened last map. And while the numbers say I should be able to activate vow of friendship on turn one, I want a backup plan just in case.

I thankfully have enough people to bring, if just barely. I've got Felicia with me now, not sure how long that'll last. Though I might be able to train her up to reclass her to strategist so I can have, like, at least one magic user. Assuming her stats work out. I mean, they did last time.

Alright. I managed to get through the first two turns. The first was just setting up vow of friendship, dancing Dakota so she could hop over to Ryoma, and having Ryoma and Silas wait in front of the knights guarding the hall and brace for impact. The second was taking out the trash and giving Ryoma the opening to run like hell straight down the network of hallways after the outlaw.

Ryoma got hit by a silver dagger, which is unfortunate but not dangerous. He still has more than enough speed to double everything and more than enough defensive stats to tank the enemies he has to charge headlong into. Man, Dakota might not be a good unit this run, but she sure as hell knows how to buff 'em up.

But no sooner did Ryoma catch up to the first outlaw heading after the southeast chests than a second one showed up even closer to them, which always struck me as a massive troll on the devs' part. Still, we're making good progress, even though Ryoma's left most of my army in the dust and made them resort to picking up scraps.

Reina's nice to have around. She's got a pretty low internal level so she's gaining some nice exp even from unpromoted enemies, and she's putting in some pretty good player-phase work when necessary. I'd definitely be happier if she came from archer though. Quick draw and bowfaire access would be amazing for her.

Alright, the chests are finally secure.

...The door unlocking animation is really, really slow for who-the-fuck-knows-why.

While Ryoma's cleared basically the entire map, it's nice that there are still rear reinforcements for my other units to take care of. So I've at least managed to make some promotions, like Saizo and Mozu. Incidentally, archers actually lose one strength when promoting to kinshi knight, annoyingly. Kinshi knights have pretty shitty stats, but their flight and weapon access really makes up for it. I'm glad I have a really, really solid flier now.

I just did my first instance of shelter song shenanigans, and it was pretty cool. I didn't do it for anything particularly advanced, but it was nice to be able to get Mozu that last level up, promote her, and then put Saizo back in there to take out an incoming outlaw when I realized I wasn't actually too late to do that. It's the nice thing about having filler units. You can convert their actions into main fighter actions, albeit at a pretty steep exchange rate. Shame I only have one shelter user right now. But that's gonna change soon.

Ugh. This is probably my biggest of the nitpicks I have about the usability in this game. Siege towers. They really should've made it so you can highlight them separately by clicking on them like they're an enemy unit. Instead, they just added the siege tower's attack range to every unit in range of it, so it becomes really annoying to work out the attack ranges of nearby ranged weapon users if you don't care about the siege weapon damage.

Right, I just busted into the siege tower room and killed everyone but the dark mage in back. Let's take bets whether he uses the siege tome uselessly or suicides onto Ryoma!

If you guessed the former, you're right!

Alright, so, we win, but Iago pulls a “You think this is the real Quaid!?” and reveals it was illusion magic. Then another would-be dramatic scene hilariously undermined by Dakota's asscheeks being on full display almost the entire time.

And then they head back to Flora, who apparently is still lying there on the floor, because we apparently just abandoned her there.

Weird how Takumi is the one who finds the idea most ridiculous that there's a traitor among the group. Usually unknowing sleeper agents are the most suspicious of the others.

Then they have Sakura say she'll go with Flora, but Flora runs off and... the scene fades on Sakura still kneeling by Takumi.

...Flora, who the fuck says “yay” at hearing that somebody's narrowly escaped death?

Takumi says some weird shit about “looking behind the curtain” in his fever, and... even now I have no idea what he means by that.

But yeah, Flora says we should all go to the ice tribe village wink wink nudge nudge, and so that's what we're doing next chapter.

Which will be on Monday.

So let's do the supports and then wrap up here.

Amazingly, I only have one support today. Saizo and Mozu somehow didn't get enough support points despite doing so many dual strikes together.

Well then, let's check out Ryoma and Dakota's B support.

Well that was boring. It was just random shit about each sibling, and the only one that even came close to being fileable under “shit that isn't blatantly obvious” was that Hinoka used to be a crybaby as a kid.

Well, that's it. Tomorrow we'll be “visiting” the ice tribe.

Which, yes, somehow isn't in the frozen northern tundras.

Stay safe, everyone.

15 hours ago, lenticular said:

I don't find the cultural differences that unbelievable. There's a huge geographic barrier to travel between the two kingdoms, plus the whole thing with Nohr always being dark would probably do something weird to the culture.

Ultimately, this is Fates worldbuilding we're tlaking about though. There are always going to be holes in it that need all sorts of mental gymnastics to try to rationalise. It's going to be a matter of personal preference which interpretation has the holes and nonsensities that are less headache-inducing.

I have no clue what point you're trying to make here and I've had way too much of a Day for an argument about skill viability to sound fun so I'm just going to say that I'm going to agree to disagree on this one.

But that's just the point, if we're talking about a landmass comparable to Ireland, that geographical barrier isn't that major a barrier. The Himalayas, that's a true to life geographical barrier that has resulted in quite significant cultural differences on either side (though Buddhism managed to permeate it), but to think the bottomless canyon is anywhere close to the Himalayas in scale when you can traverse the entirety of one of these countries in a matter of hours at worst and days at best makes it pretty absurd.

14 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I don't consider old polls credible, because opinions change with time. Anyway, for me to consider it useful, I'd have to ignore the 15 weight and the 60 base hit (along with the fact that with the magic hit formula, the user's accuracy is likely going to be down there), which is asking way too much. Anyway, I'm not going to get any real mileage out of it by having, say, Hilda use it.

Not the Bolt Axe's fault you don't know how to play Three Houses. Have you ever considered for a second that if everyone else says something is good and you alone says it's bad, that maybe you're doing something wrong?

36 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Anyway, Garon all but explicitly says that Iago was responsible for the explosion both this time and... fucking... somehow with Ganglari in Hoshido? How the fuck was Iago involved there? And if he wasn't, who is Garon lying to here?

More evidence Revalation wasn't initially planned. Hmm?

Edited by Jotari

49 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

do like that they have some semblance of an excuse why Flora isn't helping you fight in this battle: she's been... knocked out.

...By... fire.

Aside from choking them with smoke (which clearly isn't what happened), how the fuck do you knock somebody out with fire?

It's anime fire. Per established convention, it doesn't cause burns - rather, it knocks the target down. And potentially unconscious.

52 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

That also means he's out of commission for this battle when I literally just promoted him.

Big oof. Something about Macarath, and taking one of your younger royal siblings out of commission. 

18 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Not the Bolt Axe's fault you don't know how to play Three Houses. Have you ever considered for a second that if everyone else says something is good and you alone says it's bad, that maybe you're doing something wrong?

Must we resurrect this Sothis-damned argument? It has nothing to do with Birthright, or anything Alastor has posted. You and @Shadow Mir should probably bury the bolt axe... I mean, hatchet, for the time being.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

But that's just the point, if we're talking about a landmass comparable to Ireland, that geographical barrier isn't that major a barrier. The Himalayas, that's a true to life geographical barrier that has resulted in quite significant cultural differences on either side (though Buddhism managed to permeate it), but to think the bottomless canyon is anywhere close to the Himalayas in scale when you can traverse the entirety of one of these countries in a matter of hours at worst and days at best makes it pretty absurd.

I think I would probably disagree with this for three main reasons.

1. I don't see the cultural differences between Nohr and Hoshido as being all that huge. They speak the same language, have basically the same political structure, and have very closely related religions which differ primarily on which member of their pantheon is primarily worshipped.

2. There are real life regions of earth which have substantial cultural, linguistic and ethnic diversity in small geographic areas. The Caucasus and the New Guinea Highlands being two obvious examples that come to mind.

3. Real life analogy can only go so far because real life doesn't have magic, or dragons, or places at the same latitude where one sees lots of daylight and the other lies in near-permanent darkness, or bottomless canyon surrounded by never-ending lightning storms that are actually portals to other kingdoms that are cursed so you can never talk about them. It's pretty much impossible to know for sure how these things would actually affect the spread of culture, so I don't find it too much of a stretch to imagine that it would make things weird.

After ignoring it for a bit, I finally finished my Revalation playthrough. Man, it's easy to forget how underwhelming that final map is.  It's really quite small and the reinforcements come basically one at a time (though with high enough movement that they could potentially screw you over). The Heirs of Fates version of this map is so much better. It's much more difficult to just charge it and the enemy units being characters from the first Gen even adds some moment to moment drama for the chapter (I mean not a whole lot given this is a sort of contrived DLC, but it's still appreciated compared to nothing happening in Revalation). And the final approach to Anankos has a lot more Gravitas to it. You also get a tonne of units to use at once, which as has been noted, is a pretty major weakness of Reavalation.

9 hours ago, lenticular said:

I think I would probably disagree with this for three main reasons.

1. I don't see the cultural differences between Nohr and Hoshido as being all that huge. They speak the same language, have basically the same political structure, and have very closely related religions which differ primarily on which member of their pantheon is primarily worshipped.

2. There are real life regions of earth which have substantial cultural, linguistic and ethnic diversity in small geographic areas. The Caucasus and the New Guinea Highlands being two obvious examples that come to mind.

3. Real life analogy can only go so far because real life doesn't have magic, or dragons, or places at the same latitude where one sees lots of daylight and the other lies in near-permanent darkness, or bottomless canyon surrounded by never-ending lightning storms that are actually portals to other kingdoms that are cursed so you can never talk about them. It's pretty much impossible to know for sure how these things would actually affect the spread of culture, so I don't find it too much of a stretch to imagine that it would make things weird.

I think language is a bit of an unreality ball that can't be used as a point either way. Because every continent in Fire Emblem (and most other fantasy works) have a single language being used exclusively throughout the main setting (and even beyond, apperantly Valentia and Archanea have the same language despite being cut off from each other given the lack of difficulty Zeke and the Pegasus Sisters have communicating with everyone else). And religion is so underplayed in the story Im not sure what you're even referring to. Garon worshipd Anankos and that's as far as I can recall the religion of either country. We certainly don't see any monk classes making up the ranks of Nohrs army though (uh, discounting the facts that monks were never really deployed soldiers in reality).

What they do have differences are, obviously, the style of their dress and architecture, but beyond that there's the weapons they manufacture, the food they eat, the animals they raise, and even the ore they have access to. Which along with the weather, suggests there's a rather massive geographical divide between them that their relative sizes don't suggest.

11 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

It's anime fire. Per established convention, it doesn't cause burns - rather, it knocks the target down. And potentially unconscious.

Big oof. Something about Macarath, and taking one of your younger royal siblings out of commission. 

Must we resurrect this Sothis-damned argument? It has nothing to do with Birthright, or anything Alastor has posted. You and @Shadow Mir should probably bury the bolt axe... I mean, hatchet, for the time being.

Saved until the Three Houses playthrough then.

Edited by Jotari

40 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I think language is a bit of an unreality ball that can't be used as a point either way. Because every continent in Fire Emblem (and most other fantasy works) have a single language being used exclusively throughout the main setting

Not to forget in movies set in the real world. Isn't it always the case the important foreigners in the country the movie takes place speak the native tongue perfectly, or the important natives the foreigner's tongue without the slightest issue? Language in art and entertainment is convenience, except when the creator doesn't want it to be that.

Reality has had until the ~1800s in a lot of places, so many spoken languages -or regional dialects so thick they might as well be a language- that the premise of easy verbal communication would've been quite difficult. (Written language, as the realm of a learned elite alongside certain spoken forms of language, is a different matter.) Could Donnel understand Chrom and vice versa IRL if IRL = 1200AD, to pick a random year? I wouldn't think so. -I picked the first bumpkin and monarch from a shared FE country that came to mind.

40 minutes ago, Jotari said:

We certainly don't see any monk classes making up the ranks of Nohrs army though (uh, discounting the facts that monks were never really deployed soldiers in reality).

Japanese sohei?

Also, religious orders like the Templars and Teutonics have existed. As have Sikhism's Nihang

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

7 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

And if he wasn't, who is Garon lying to here?

My first thought is Camilla, I mean she did return to Nohr and some of Corrin's convincing arguments were about Garon setting off that exploding sword to kill Corrin, but if it were actually the vindictive Iago. Although that was a few chapters ago, and I honestly don't remember who is in the scene...

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not to forget in movies set in the real world. Isn't it always the case the important foreigners in the country the movie takes place speak the native tongue perfectly, or the important natives the foreigner's tongue without the slightest issue? Language in art and entertainment is convenience, except when the creator doesn't want it to be that.

Reality has had until the ~1800s in a lot of places, so many spoken languages -or regional dialects so thick they might as well be a language- that the premise of easy verbal communication would've been quite difficult. (Written language, as the realm of a learned elite alongside certain spoken forms of language, is a different matter.) Could Donnel understand Chrom and vice versa IRL if IRL = 1200AD, to pick a random year? I wouldn't think so. -I picked the first bumpkin and monarch from a shared FE country that came to mind.

Well to be unnecessarily pedantic, Chrom would probably be the best example of a lord that might speak the same language as Donnel given that Chrom has been roaming the countryside interacting with the peasantry. Awakening also has only three defined nations, compared to Marth's time when there was like a dozen (hmm, let's scount, Khaden, Gra, Grust, Macedonia, Doluna, Altea, Archanea, Pyrathi, Aurelis, Talys and the disunited tribes = 11ish, 12 I guess if we count Furio Harbour as some kind of city state and not an extension of the tribal lands). So Awakening seems to exist in a more unitary world. Course there's no way to tell for sure exactly how culturally diverse Ylisse is as it treats every paralogue as happening in vague Awkaeningland no matter where it's physically located on the world map (and the main story doesn't do much better, having only some mild Plegian flare, even much of what we're told about Regna Ferox is quickly forgotten).

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Japanese sohei?

Also, religious orders like the Templars and Teutonics have existed. As have Sikhism's Nihang

Ya, there is some truth there.

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

My first thought is Camilla, I mean she did return to Nohr and some of Corrin's convincing arguments were about Garon setting off that exploding sword to kill Corrin, but if it were actually the vindictive Iago. Although that was a few chapters ago, and I honestly don't remember who is in the scene...

Nobody but Iago and Garon. Also Garon didn't remotely act like he disapproved of Iago's actions in Hoshido if that's the case.

Edited by Alastor15243