COVID-19 Discussion & Resources

Johann

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Well the other alternative is that it just was something beyond their control. SARS, the predecessor for Corona virus did also originate in China too, so for it to just be a natural occurrence is completely possible too.

I see. Yeah, that's true then.

I just hope this all ends sooner rather than later. I hate being home so much and so many places having to close and events having to cancel...

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well the other alternative is that it just was something beyond their control. SARS, the predecessor for Corona virus did also originate in China too, so for it to just be a natural occurrence is completely possible too.

Which is kind of weird since they did not seem so gung ho about their image in the past, and I think they handled SARS okay. If anything, being so caught up in their image recently backfired more on their image. I do not remember they were trying to cover anything up in regards to SARS back then, although I was too young to remember the news. They had a perfect template of what to do, and SARS was not even that long ago.

On 4/17/2020 at 7:18 AM, Glennstavos said:

I only remember some screen caps of 4channers trying to prove the virus was manufactured by the chinese government and that there was a leak or some shit. Not really inclined to believe conspiracy theories.

Most of the talk nowadays is what we can reopen, and when. It's a good question to ask since while conventions and concerts probably shouldn't be a thing at any remaining point of 2020, other establishments can be brought back with the right precautions. I don't see the hunger to get schools back online when the risk is so high. Like this nonsense:

2-3 percent. Mortality. Imagine nearly one kid in every grade school classroom just fucking dies. To say nothing of how many will have to suffer an awful sickness yet mercifully survive. How can anybody entertain this possibility with those odds?

Have you paid any sort of attention? It's not the children who are at risk, it's the people around them. 

14 hours ago, Excellen Browning said:

Have you paid any sort of attention? It's not the children who are at risk, it's the people around them. 

I think it's a little ironic that you're telling him he's not paying attention. . .when that point was made earlier in the thread.

So there are some really dumb fuckbags throughout the country protesting stay at home orders. Unfortunately, Sacramento is not spared from such stupidity from these ignoranuses (spelled intentionally wrong) either. Kind of pisses me off. If you know anyone who is doubting the stay at home orders, please make sure they understand the seriousness of COVID-19, so they do not turn into one of those disgusting, selfish assholes jeopardizing people's health.

"i'mma catch the chinavirus to own the libs" is an easy meme to see coming. The major takeaway from pictures and quotes I've seen online is that these people just want to stop being inconvenienced. "Let me finish my golf season", "Let me avoid my wife", things like that. What these astroturf protests are trying to hide is the fact that Americans do understand the risks posed by the virus and the enormous threat of reopening too early. There's no partisan angle of "50% of Americans want to get back to work". Not so common knowledge is that our economy can freeze for literal years if it had to. We certainly would be on the genuine road to recovery if we had begun preparing for the pandemic earlier than 30 days ago. Instead we get daily fatalities above the level of 9/11.

I'm reminded of the "9/11 times a hundred line" from Team America. And we're right on the midpoint of that figure. 91,100, being the operative number, for those unfamiliar with the joke and assuming it meant the deaths of 9/11 times a hundred. God I hate having to explain jokes.

• 2 weeks later...

Cuomo talked about states working together as a consortium for more market power, coordination, and resource distribution, and I think that is a really good idea. It would be cool if California and the West Coast can join too to get a better handle on the crisis. Until Trump gets kicked out the White House, we cannot rely on the federal government to do what it is supposed to do.

Spoiler

And seriously, fuck these quarantine protestors.

Spoiler

We in Sacramento even had to arrest some of those dumbfucks a day or two ago.

Spoiler

I wish we can just deport these Trump supporters to shit hole states so these Neanderthals can spread COVID-19 elsewhere. For fuck's sake these people are more of a national security hazard than illegal immigrants. They are like freaking animals.

Edited by XRay

3 hours ago, XRay said:

Cuomo talked about states working together as a consortium for more market power, coordination, and resource distribution, and I think that is a really good idea. It would be cool if California and the West Coast can join too to get a better handle on the crisis. Until Trump gets kicked out the White House, we cannot rely on the federal government to do what it is supposed to do.

We already have loaned out medical supplies a month ago. Though as far as I've heard it was a one time gesture and not the start of some new network of supplies. Heck, Newsom apparently received some backlash after doing it, probably because we don't live in a world where good deeds go unpunished. Only calming people down about the decision by showing them the mathematics of why we didn't need the extras at the moment.

Not so many protests down here, but we've got a lot of out of towners trying to get onto to our beaches. Beaches that are closed, of course. You might blame the summer heat for stirring interest in going to the beach but if you ask me the weather has been excellent the last week. Definitely doesn't feel like summer yet.

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Not so many protests down here, but we've got a lot of out of towners trying to get onto to our beaches. Beaches that are closed, of course. You might blame the summer heat for stirring interest in going to the beach but if you ask me the weather has been excellent the last week. Definitely doesn't feel like summer yet.

My state is weird when it comes to beaches.  You can swim/surf/whatever in the water, but you can't hang out on the beach.  Seems to be working so far, if the infection rate is any indication.

I do not think I have completely calmed down, so I will keep my criticism of them short and let the article/video speak for itself. Like the stupid protesters, these two asshole couples make me feel angry, disappointed, frustrated, and absolutely disgusted. Finding out that they live in the Sac metro area does not help, and the area they live in is near two large hospitals too, and I think they might be closer to the hospital I was born in. I hope they get a speedy trial and are found guilty of criminal charges so they get sent to prison or put under house arrest for about 6-12 months (around the time when the vaccine should be available) to make sure they are not wandering around endangering other people.

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020/05/04/honeymoon-couple-citrus-heights-arrest-hawaii/

@eclipse, were these two the stupid jerks the ones you were talking about?

10 hours ago, XRay said:

I do not think I have completely calmed down, so I will keep my criticism of them short and let the article/video speak for itself. Like the stupid protesters, these two asshole couples make me feel angry, disappointed, frustrated, and absolutely disgusted. Finding out that they live in the Sac metro area does not help, and the area they live in is near two large hospitals too, and I think they might be closer to the hospital I was born in. I hope they get a speedy trial and are found guilty of criminal charges so they get sent to prison or put under house arrest for about 6-12 months (around the time when the vaccine should be available) to make sure they are not wandering around endangering other people.

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020/05/04/honeymoon-couple-citrus-heights-arrest-hawaii/

@eclipse, were these two the stupid jerks the ones you were talking about?

Nope, the two notably dumb ones were from Nevada and Washington (both of which were kicked out because they violated the quarantine multiple times).  Please accept my condolences for having such awful residents so close to you.

In brighter news, cases are slowing to a crawl here, and shopping malls are set to re-open SLOWLY starting Thursday.  Huzzah!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah, at least for Sacramento, toilet paper seems to be fully in stock again. Hand sanitizers can also be found in dollar stores again too, but they now cost like $3 or $4 instead of the pre-crisis $1.

I've noticed that the toiler paper rolls are slightly smaller, length-wise.  Perhaps that's their cost-cutting measure?

In weirder news, the stay-at-home was extended here, despite our state having new cases slow to a crawl.  We're going to spike when tourism comes back, but it looks like community spread is under control.

10 minutes ago, eclipse said:

In weirder news, the stay-at-home was extended here, despite our state having new cases slow to a crawl.  We're going to spike when tourism comes back, but it looks like community spread is under control.

I prefer to have the quarantine order to be extended and not loosen up yet, but our governor is talking about reopening again. I am disappointed that it seems like a lot of governors nationwide are bowing to pressure from the stupid protesters. Talking about reopening feels a little too soon in my opinion.

1 minute ago, XRay said:

I prefer to have the quarantine order to be extended and not loosen up yet, but our governor is talking about reopening again. I am disappointed that it seems like a lot of governors nationwide are bowing to pressure from the stupid protesters. Talking about reopening feels a little too soon in my opinion.

For those places where cases are going up in at least three-digit chunks, it's way too soon.  In Hawaii's case, it's been less than five a day for a while.  We can also tell people to GTFO thanks to our relative geographic isolation.

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

I've noticed that the toiler paper rolls are slightly smaller, length-wise.  Perhaps that's their cost-cutting measure?

...my first thought was that you were unrolling the roll to measure the length before I realized you were talking about the height.

This is about a month late at this point, but it's still hilarious.

There's a Vietnamese version too, which is the original, but this might be a bit more relevant at this point in the pandemic.

• 3 weeks later...

Why the hell did we bow to pressure to reopening the states and country? Cases are spiking again. We should still be in complete lockdown. While the protests for George Floyd are for a good cause, it certainly is not going to help the case numbers in the short term. While a lot people protesting are wearing masks, social distancing is rarely observed. Over the medium and long term though, I hope the positive impact of the protests (diverting more resources to minority communities, etc.) will outweigh the cost of more cases and deaths over the short term.

Edited by XRay

On the subject of mass gatherings during the pandemic, I've found the double standard of British people finding nothing objectionable about the VE Day celebrations and yet regularly criticising the BLM protests considerably telling.

I feel as though, if one is going to take the position that, "All mass gatherings are bad" then one should at least be consistent with one's condemnations.

• 2 weeks later...

https://arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/7J2SYRKYSVB67FERB72EZPUEJY.jpg

EU has 110+ million more people and does much more testing.

I blame anti science movement, politicians who refuse to wear masks and downplay the virus as well as right wing media.  This is ridiculously pathetic.  

In some positive news, there haven't been any surges in places where there was mass protesting. In fact, rates of new cases have continued a downward trend. Some articles focusing on specific places: