Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

16 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Other than the eventual gatekeeper.

Now that I'm playing Three Houses I finally get to understand what the buzz is about with him.
He's got quite the personality, more then what I was expecting.

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Just now, Armagon said:

Well I played the fan-translation of the PS1 version, which was fine in that department.

It's just, similarly to how I feel about Dragon Quest, Phantasia feels like Namco just presses the "make a fantasy RPG" button.

But the real reason I dropped the game was because of the aged combat. Being forced to watch magic animations every single time was a huge dealbreaker.

Gotcha, so the dialogue is at least passable. That's good.

Well, I personally like watching the animations in every game I play so this could be good or bad, then! Xd

What about music?

Considering Koei worked on the game, I wouldn't be surprised if Gatekeeper was based on the "Hey, it's me!" generic soldiers that appeared in Dynasty Warriors 8 in the story campaigns. I think that was also a thing in 7, but don't quite know.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Well, I personally like watching the animations in every game I play so this could be good or bad, then! Xd

You say that but there's nothing stopping enemies from spamming the same magic attacks over and over and you have to sit through that over and over before you can continue playing the game.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

What about music?

I genuinely do not remember. It is Motoi Sakuraba, who is capable of great music (see: Baten Kaitos) but it is generally agreed upon that Tales holds him back.

But Phantasia was the first so maybe it doesn't have that problem. But I still genuinely don't remember.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

You say that but there's nothing stopping enemies from spamming the same magic attacks over and over and you have to sit through that over and over before you can continue playing the game.

I genuinely do not remember. It is Motoi Sakuraba, who is capable of great music (see: Baten Kaitos) but it is generally agreed upon that Tales holds him back.

But Phantasia was the first so maybe it doesn't have that problem. But I still genuinely don't remember.

That's basically FF in a nutshell as well, so I dont mind! 

Ah, okay so theres some hope, then? 

I am trying to be fair but as I said, it's very hard for me not to compare to Vesperia as it's my favorite. A bad habit of mine, haha.

Edited by lightcosmo

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

How does it hold him back?

Ultimately, I'd say, the best way to really find out is by playing it straight. Considering the likely way you'll going to get it, then it's not going to be that much of a loss trying out and not liking it in the end, is it.

I'd still recommend the PSX version, in that case.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

Ultimately, I'd say, the best way to really find out is by playing it straight. Considering the likely way you'll going to get it, then it's not going to be that much of a loss trying out and not liking it in the end, is it.

I'd still recommend the PSX version, in that case.

...what are you implying? Xd

37 minutes ago, Sooks said:

There are memes in heroes?

Kempf, Oliver, Dorcas talking about his mutton, Wrys, Jorge, resplandecent Reinhardt definitely only exists because of the memes... All of these characters had zero chance of getting in without the memes. Then there's stuff that isn't memes per se, but have meme energy to them, such as smiley Garon, summer Lorenz, Plegian Raphael...

Their main strategy is definitely "waifus = money", but they invest in some memes as well from time to time.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

15 minutes ago, Sooks said:

How does it hold him back?

From what i've been told, it seems like Namco wants him to do a specific style when it comes to Tales and while it may have worked the first few times, being restricted to it for each Tales game eventually ends up feeling very samey and uninspired. That style is "music that feels like JRPG" is how i would describe it. I....don't know if that makes sense but hopefully you get what i'm trying to say. I like Tales of Berseria but it was like the first JRPG i've beaten that had such an unmemorable soundtrack and i definitely took off points for that. And i'm not saying sticking to the same style is bad but Sakuraba hasn't been able to make it his in the way that Sawano has, for example. When you hear a Sawano song, like, you know it's him (provided you've listened to his songs before).

But anyway when Sakuraba isn't composing music for Tales, it feels like he has more freedom. Take this boss theme from Baten Kaitos Origins

You would never hear anything remotely close to this in a Tales game.

4 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Ummmm, @Armagon is there a guide floating around for XC2 that shows the Blade specials damage ratios and such? 

Uhhhh check Enel's channel maybe. Chuggaconroy also might have some things when he goes over each Blade.

20 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Uhhhh check Enel's channel maybe. Chuggaconroy also might have some things when he goes over each Blade.

Hmmm, so only YT vids? I was hoping for a spreadsheet or something.

For Co-OP mode in Smash Ultimate, I kinda wish they had a system where you could join "rooms" so people could play against people I'm their skill level. Not trying to sound rude or arrogant or anything, but I know that I'm kinda better than alot of people, so me and my partner would like to play against others that can challenge us. And people that dont stand a chance against us have could potentially get discouraged from getting better after enough thrashing. And I feel bad, but it's not my fault Nintendo is dumb with their co-OP setup.

That's why when we find people that can go toe to toe with us, we try to play them as many times as we can, haha.

Just people that understand the fundaments but cant put them into action are a bit too low skill level for me.