Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

9 minutes ago, Benice said:

What'sher range? Maybe....Hunter's volley is an option? Or windsweep, but I dunno if you have rhat.

8. When more than 2 spaces away she’s locked to her staggering blow, which is a guaranteed 46 damage. However, she hits like a truck and I can’t get HP back for all my fliers because I have very few physics to begin with but only two physic users.

Although I do have fortify... if I rushed her with gambits and broke her shield...

And I really don’t want to have to reset this map because it has taken me five hours :’D

Also she one rounds Cyril and I don’t have anyone with windsweep.

Edited by Sooks

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

49 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Sagi himself gives off a basic first impression but he's pretty likable. If i were to compare him to another Monolith Soft protagonist, the easiest comparison would be to Rex. I think Rex is better but they're like the same kind of character when you think about it. And by the end of the game, i think i liked Sagi more than Kalas from the previous game.

I was wondering your thoughts on this. Both are 15-year-old boys who leave their boondocks home, even more backwater than the farming country of Sadal Suud/Gormott. They leave home to find work to support their home and the orphanage therein.

They obviously have their differences. Sagi has his mother alive and gets a job in the Dark Service, Rex goes salvaging. One has a Guardian Spirit and Guillo for odd friends, the other's odd companion is a grandfatherly talking Titan. Hassaleh and Leftheria are physical opposites- Hassalah is dark, dense and covered in thorns, Leftheria is bright, vast and fluffy. Rex is definitely more youthfully energetic and optimistic, while Sagi leans into his negative emotions more often than Rex.

But defining their differences in character, and I feel more of these differences must exist and I don't know why, but I can't quite figure them out.

One particular aspect of the story i'm not too sure on is that the trio of heroes loses a lot. And that can be very frustrating, to the point where even Sagi is like "this sucks so bad". I like that losing in the story isn't handled as a "oh whoops, i had to get bailed out" but it happens a bit too much where i can understandably see people being upset by it. Thankfully, you get to rematch those losses and come out on top.

On this point, Sagi reminds me of Shulk nowadays. To dissect this:

Spoiler

Shared:

• Shulk spends about half of his game frustrated about his inability to destroy Face Mechon, and it’s a climatic moment when he finally gets that slaying power which he seeks. Sagi spends most of his game frustrated by the failure to ever win against the Machina Arma and his pivotal moment gives him the power to cut through the Arma.

Differences:

• Shulk loses to Metal Face once, “winning” with a Chain Attack Topple and Fiora’s valiant “death”. Shulk then meets Xord, suffers an initial loss, but soon kills him- albeit under the extraordinary circumstances of shoving Xord into pure ether. Alvis and Telethia bail out Shulk the next time from Metal Face, then following the death of Melia’s father, Shulk gets the power he has yearned for.
    • In summary, Shulk doesn’t suffer that many major losses before unsealing the Monado. And he scores a genuine victory, albeit using means -the ether drowning- that cannot be repeated because the enemies aren’t idiots and ether rivers aren’t everywhere.
  • Sagi by contrast loses in Hassaleh, in Diadem, in Sadal Suud, and in Anuenue. He never once destroys a Machina Arma, not even with happenstance means, before actualizing his Malideiter power. The sole conditional victory is the Afterling coming to his aid in Hassaleh.

Rex deserves to some consideration here too, because XC2 does have some “win but lose” battles too, just without a focus on machines.

• The Morag in Gormott fight is won by the water tower trick
  • Mythra’s awakening saves the day in Uraya, Haze’s arrival “wins” the Torna battle in Mor Ardain.
  • Jin’s fragility won the Judicium battle on the grounds of attrition?
  • Pyra willingly gets captured in Tantal.
  • Malos fakes his solo loss at Morytha.

Many pre-Pneuma victories, all on the conditional side.

Correct me if I got anything wrong. This is but an exercise in how Monolith has tackled "lose some win for sure later" in several games. I could try adding XG to this comparison, but my mind isn't ready to reexamine that.

This game essentially has two plots: the main plot in the present and then the other main plot that happens in the distance past. Having a prequel that has a prequel in it is really weird but it works, trust me.

On this point...

Spoiler

When you told me Torna was planned to be part of the XC2 maingame -before clarifying it likely would've been solely the final battle- my mind went to Origins.

The plot in the present day works well on the whole to me. While Verus is a huge questionable surprise and Baelheit tries to become a sob story all of a sudden too late (great to see how the tales about Spiriters being changers of the world's destiny can go amok), the general narrative worked.

I don't dislike the Age of the Gods/Malpercio storyline. You need the Age of the Gods for Guillo, who is all rooted in that past, and much but not as fundamentally for Sagi the Malideiter (The Godling's Rapture shoulda been Dark element not Light IMO, "heroic darkness" is awesome).

My qualm here is that Monolith was too ambitious in having two narratives. They didn't have the resources to do both full justice, and it was the Age of the Gods that suffered for it.

Thoran's decision to offer his soul to the Dark Brethren comes off as kinda stupid -it wouldn't if we could feel for Malpercio more than we did. The five are underdeveloped and I don't think we even see the hill they named themselves after.

The Age of the "Gods" (by which is meant "humans who were like gods", a tad lame) supports the present story well, and maybe that was all it was intended to be. But as taken on its own, it is weak. I wish it had gotten its own game, even if we know it'd end badly.

So back to Torna, though it isn't perfect as a prequel either, I'm glad that Monolith didn't try fusing it into XC2 proper.

As i said when i started writing this review, Baten Kaitos Origins is a weird game. Because despite never clicking with the gameplay, the game still ended up being very enjoyable for me. Under normal circumstances, i might've just given up, even if i was liking the story and characters. That's what happened to me with Final Fantasy 7. And yet, i kept playing because i was so invested in the characters that i wanted to see their journey from start to finish.

I think your approach of using cheats to get through it wasn't inherently bad.

I got really burned out on Persona 2 because Innocent Sin's gameplay was *encounter* so much *encounter* of *encounter* a slog! When I read Eternal Punishment was the same except with more difficulty, I opted to watch an LP of it instead to get the story I wanted to see finished. The LP choice doesn't sit so well with me now. Hacking infinite Tarot Cards so I don't need to grind for personas and getting a persona with Estoma to negate enemy encounters ASAP, and playing through the game that way would've been the better option.

Even if it's with cheats that remove you from the combat and all you're playing it for is plot/characters, there is just something about a game that can't be replicated unless you play it.

Meaning, start looking for the XS Ep. II cheats when the time arrives for me, 'kay?

50 minutes ago, Armagon said:

i think Motoi Sakuraba needs to stop composing for Tales because i get the feeling that Tales just holds him back.

I wouldn't consider it as good as Baten Kaitos, but here is Eternal Sonata's OST, another non-Tales Sakuraba work.:

Let me if inform you that if the music suddenly turns to pure piano, it's probably not Sakuraba and instead one of the selections from Frederic Francois Chopin, the famed Franco-Polish piano composer of the early-mid 1800s.

Above post is too big to edit. 

But I forgot to add that despite being on the mild side of personalities, inform me if my memory is faulty or my lack of Xenosaga is biting me and Shion is Shi*on, but Sagi does have one peculiar claim to fame. If you consider "you son of a b****" a swear phrase, then Sagi is the only Monolith main protagonist I can think of who ever swears in English.

This could be solely due to differences in the many localization teams that Monolith games have gone through. (And Japanese doesn't have swearing as we know it, I remember reading the closest thing to swear language is addressing a person with a degree of less formality than they would want you to address them with.)

Nonetheless, it is strange to think that the callous Kalas wouldn't be one to swear, and badass Elma dodges the bullet with "Samaarian witch!" in one of her best scenes.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

We're still 6 hours away though.

They'll probably do nothing though, no word in Japan as it stands.

Farewell SDatBoL.

Which is exactly why this seems like the furthest it’s gonna get.

Edited by Sooks

30 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Worst public execution of all time.

They'll probably do their best to sweep it under the rug and not acknowledge it. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if this tweet was only made with 6 hours to spare in an attempt to push a few more people to hurry and buy the games before time runs out.

At any rate, we can finally put the first (and hopefully only, but the chances of that are minimal) wave of limited releases by Nintendo behind us.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Going through Lanakili, two thoughts: why the fuck does a pokemon you face in the victory road of the region have 2 moves?

Also, I actually caught Necrozma first try. Was level 65 (everything I had was below 55), I thought I'd make it faint from the poison, but no, got in the ball first try.

Two HP bars down! Two to go now! She has defiant strength... not a good combo with miracle (+8 strength when below 25% HP).

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Use the wyvern army! Use stride! Use bombs wisely!

Her range is 8. Wyverns have eight move. Yeah.

Is it time to post music? Here, have something completely out of left field. Been meaning to share this for a while, but I never made up my mind to do it.

Don't read the comments though. Spooky spoilers. Play the game instead. It's a masterpiece.

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Two HP bars down! Two to go now! She has defiant strength... not a good combo with miracle (+8 strength when below 25% HP).

You know, if you beat Maddening, you get to brag about how you accomplished something the game's developers did not.

Fellas, i am pleased to report that Godzilla vs Kong is 1000% based. If King of the Monsters was a Hollywood version of a Heisei Godzilla film, then Godzilla vs Kong feels more like a Showa Godzilla film, with a bit of Millennium mixed in, particularly Final Wars.

This is easily a top three Godzilla film but i need to think about where specifically.

It's the best Kong film tho.

I ain't gonna write a review, i honestly just don't really write reviews for movies. But this movie was very based and i'll definitely watch it again, hopefully on the big screen next time.

9/10.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But defining their differences in character, and I feel more of these differences must exist and I don't know why, but I can't quite figure them out.

Yeah, i suppose there are actual differences when you look at them.

But i do think both Sagi and Rex are the type of character that people might just write off as basic and not give them enough credit.

On this point...

Spoiler

Yeah, i see your point. On it's own, the Age of the Gods would've been underwhelming. But when taken with the overall story, it's purpose feels well executed.

The only real issue is that the closure with Wiseman is entirely optional. I don't doubt some players just never went back to the battlefield.

I think your approach of using cheats to get through it wasn't inherently bad.

I got really burned out on Persona 2 because Innocent Sin's gameplay was *encounter* so much *encounter* of *encounter* a slog! When I read Eternal Punishment was the same except with more difficulty, I opted to watch an LP of it instead to get the story I wanted to see finished. The LP choice doesn't sit so well with me now. Hacking infinite Tarot Cards so I don't need to grind for personas and getting a persona with Estoma to negate enemy encounters ASAP, and playing through the game that way would've been the better option.

Even if it's with cheats that remove you from the combat and all you're playing it for is plot/characters, there is just something about a game that can't be replicated unless you play it.

I agree. I know the meme is "you cheated not only the game but yourself" but honestly, if it's a single player game, who cares? I played through all of Celeste (good game btw) with God Mode turned on. I grinded up God Mode in Hades so i could continue the story. Of course, those aren't "cheats" in the sense that the game includes the option but the principle still stands.

Of course, i would still say to play through the game without cheats but if you can't, then go for it. This is assuming one wants to keep playing tho.

Meaning, start looking for the XS Ep. II cheats when the time arrives for me, 'kay?

Step 1 would be finding a way to actually put them in, since PCSX2 is a massive pain in the ass when it comes to putting in cheats.

I wouldn't consider it as good as Baten Kaitos, but here is Eternal Sonata's OST, another non-Tales Sakuraba work.:

I didn't expect you to post the entire soundtrack.

Listened to it for a bit, it does still sound better than what Tales usually has.

But I forgot to add that despite being on the mild side of personalities, inform me if my memory is faulty or my lack of Xenosaga is biting me and Shion is Shi*on, but Sagi does have one peculiar claim to fame. If you consider "you son of a b****" a swear phrase, then Sagi is the only Monolith main protagonist I can think of who ever swears in English.

If we're talking about the no-no swears (stuff like "hell" and "damn" are technically swears but nobody really minds), Rex has an "oh shit" cut off. He also says "Titan's Foot", which appears to be an in-universe swear.

Now, you could make the argument that, because Xenosaga Episode II focuses more on Jr. than on Shion, he is the protagonist of that game. And he did actually swear and the context of it makes it funnier.

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Ryza on 50% sale hmmmmmm

Do it.

Edited by Armagon

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Fellas, i am pleased to report that Godzilla vs Kong is 1000% based. If King of the Monsters was a Hollywood version of a Heisei Godzilla film, then Godzilla vs Kong feels more like a Showa Godzilla film, with a bit of Millennium mixed in, particularly Final Wars.

This is easily a top three Godzilla film but i need to think about where specifically.

It's the best Kong film tho.

I ain't gonna write a review, i honestly just don't really write reviews for movies. But this movie was very based and i'll definitely watch it again, hopefully on the big screen next time.

9/10.

Did Kong win after all? There's exactly 0% chance that I'll watch the movie, but I want resolution on that one joke that we had all those days ago.

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You know, if you beat Maddening, you get to brag about how you accomplished something the game's developers did not.

Well, now I have no choice!

16 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Did Kong win after all? There's exactly 0% chance that I'll watch the movie, but I want resolution on that one joke that we had all those days ago.

I will put the answer behind five spoiler tags because Lightchao has not seen the movie yet.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Godzilla won the first round, second round went to Kong, Godzilla won the third and final round. 

This isn't to say Kong didn't kick ass, he put up a good fight and also, continuing the MonsterVerse trend of Kaiju fatalities, brutally ripped off the heads of Warbat and MechaGodzilla and held them up like trophies.

But Godzilla still won. They teamed up to take down MechaG but after, Godzilla was like "i'm still king tho, sit yo ass down". Movie lived up to it's promise of there being a definitive winner.

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

most likety willdo it. Just need to check my money situation after the last few weeks my money went flying

True, true. If you can afford to, great. If not, well there's always next time.

Although i wonder, can you still do that thing where your Internet provider gives you coupons for one free thing? I remember you mentioned you had that but it's been a while.

Edited by Armagon

Just now, Armagon said:

Although i wonder, can you still do that thing where your Internet provider gives you coupons for one free thing?

I will get one tomorrow for my new internet contract, but will use it to buy new stuff for the new apartment.

Man, moving is hella expensive, what the hell