• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Alright, I'm about halfway done with Georgetown. Just two more locations before taking the metro exit out of there. That will be for another day, though.

Another night I was meant to revise my fanfic... I spent it watching videos, pft...

Tomorrow I intend to actually start a new one, since I have not enough WIP's as it is apparently. A Genealogy related one, and unlike the one I keep procrastinating about, I do intend to work on this. Mostly since I intend to upload it before my paid membership at Writing.com ends in a week. So I must upload a couple chapters while I can still add that third option in the Interactive stories. A week should be enough...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

10 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Yeah

But teeth pulling succccks xD

Eh. Wasn't too bad, with my dentist at least. It was a bit of a chilling experience, but it was over soonish and I felt no pain. A little while of miscomfort certainly beats fucked up teeth for the rest of my life.

10 hours ago, Sooks said:

So I just wasted my $100?

You did the hobo a kindness. That should be enough for you.

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

Weak.

Cry me a river.

You would complain about the plot not getting to the point right away.

For fuck's sake, I enjoy Ace Attorney. It's not a universal complaint, you know. There's just a small difference between a slow start and doing absolutely nothing for 20 hours. And according to you this game becomes the next classic masterpiece in literature in its first five minutes, so...

9 hours ago, Sooks said:
  Hide contents

Kel’s mom: “Just make sure to be home by dinner. I don’t want a repeat of what happened last year!”

But… what happened last year? 🤔

Spoiler

Kel is a slowpoke apparently.

8 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

When someone asks you why you think Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is the greatest game ever made

zR53yzc.jpg

ApKoVXh.jpg

I'm getting there. I'm getting there.

8 hours ago, Ghost_06_ said:

https://i.redd.it/xvf1c3qbx5m71.jpg

Okay now, let's not go too far. If this fellow is feeling suicidal and Apparently Worst Protag inspires him not to go for it, that's a wonderful thing, even if it is AWP.

....unless they're memeing. Can never tell on the internet.

7 hours ago, Sooks said:

Alright, this section is completed. Now it’s back to the White Space I go.

Man, this game’s plot and characters are so, so good.

Serenes on the phone is the worst. I can't even put quoted in edits, so it's double-posting time. Woo.

Anyway, yes. You are most correct, Sooks.

7 hours ago, Sooks said:
  Hide contents

It looks like the room every party member but Omori is usually in is empty, as well as the playground. Interesting. That’ll be something to look at next time, because I’m tired and I still have homework to do.

Spoiler

This part of the dreamworld is actually rather interesting. It plays with your expectations a bit.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hide contents

This part of the dreamworld is actually rather interesting. It plays with your expectations a bit.

Spoiler

Do you mean my expectations for nothing but cuteness in this happy little indie game?

I like parts that play with those expectations.

@Armagon

Yyzgjwfh o

If this goes wrong, I will hold you entirely responsible.

...Well, actually, I'm already 74 steps ahead of you. By which I mean, I've gone through the first stage a couple times, with custom controls configured especially for this game. I found a script online that supposedly allowed for fully-fledged mouse and keyboard controls, but it required downloading a bunch of external software, and while I don't believe it's a virus or anything like that, I also don't want to fill my computer with trash to play one game slightly better. So instead, I got a bit creative. WASD is the circle pad, E is D-pad down and space is L.

Imma be honest, I don't see the problem. The aerial sections are perfect with mouse and keyboard. Sure, it's a little weird to hold left mouse click to aim and press space to shoot, but it's really no biggie, and with equal size screens it works like a charm. As for the ground sections... yes, flicking the mouse in a direction to turn the camera is wonky, but here's the thing - I don't see how this could possibly feel any better in the 3DS. Flicking the stylus and praying that the camera doesn't over/undershoot the enemy would be just as annoying, except I'd also have to worry about the fact that my hands are bent over backwards in an attempt to be able to reach all the required buttons.

Really, a bigger problem is Citra's minor performance issues. I've had them with every game so far, but basically, the first time an area is loaded, a big attack is fired, an enemy appears... Any time some sort of texture or effect is loaded in for the first time, the game lags a bit. This isn't a problem in stuff like Fates or M&L, but it is a little bit of an issue in a fast-paced action game like this. Still, it's really small and as the game session goes on it becomes less common. So not a gamebreaker.

So yeah. What I'm trying to say is, you were wrong and ugly. This game is better on an emulator than in the original hardware, just as I expected of a game that, at the end of the day, is a shooter in a console that was ill-suited to house shooters. Did they successfully get around the console's limitations? Maybe, but there's no doubt in my mind that the whole "this game was made for the console it was on" notion is completely wrong. While I don't deny that it perhaps works all right, this game would've been SO much better on PC, just like any shooter in existence. Or at the very least, it should've had gyro controls, but I'm glad they didn't go for that, as that'd be far more difficult to emulate, haha.

The game is also already looking to be quite fun. I'll look forward to getting started in earnest later on in the day.

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:
  Hide contents

Do you mean my expectations for nothing but cuteness in this happy little indie game?

I like parts that play with those expectations.

Spoiler

I mean, how can a game with such a carefree, uplifting soundtrack be anything but happy?

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

lmao that one is funny.

At least it isn't dumb like this one: 

6299c414651cac83ea0b431d0a8a0cff.png

Not Dycedarg's elder brother! If only it was the younger brother... Then it would've been okay.

This all reminds me of an anecdote a friend of mine told me once. When he was a kid, he was playing an RPG, a Final Fantasy I believe. The Spanish version, of course. At one point, the game told him "tu fiesta está arriba." This literally means "your party is upstairs"... except "fiesta" is "party" as in, a celebration. The "party" those dum dum translators were looking for would be something more like "equipo".

So the poor kid dashed upstairs all excited for the party, and then was highly disappointed when he just found his team standing around and no party to be had. Whoops. Old translations do be like that sometimes.

25 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Not Dycedarg's elder brother! If only it was the younger brother... Then it would've been okay.

This all reminds me of an anecdote a friend of mine told me once. When he was a kid, he was playing an RPG, a Final Fantasy I believe. The Spanish version, of course. At one point, the game told him "tu fiesta está arriba." This literally means "your party is upstairs"... except "fiesta" is "party" as in, a celebration. The "party" those dum dum translators were looking for would be something more like "equipo".

So the poor kid dashed upstairs all excited for the party, and then was highly disappointed when he just found his team standing around and no party to be had. Whoops. Old translations do be like that sometimes.

Do you actually understand the joke here?

If you don't, Dycedarg is the guy your supposed to be killing, and he doesn't have an elder brother, he's the oldest!

Edit: They should have said Zalbag's elder brother, or Ramza (the MC) that would have been fine too. although i guess you would have to use the term "eldest" then.

Edited by lightcosmo

10 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Do you actually understand the joke here?

I... don't believe so, no.

10 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

If you don't, Dycedarg is the guy your supposed to be killing, and he doesn't have an elder brother, he's the oldest!

What?

How did they fuck up that badly!? The idea didn't even cross my mind, it's such a far-fetched, massive mistake in the translation...!

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What?

How did they fuck up that badly!? The idea didn't even cross my mind, it's such a far-fetched, massive mistake in the translation...!

Its... pretty bad, yeah. Also Dycedarg has his class name as "Lune Knight" when it's supposed to be "Rune Knight".

Poor guy has identity crisis all over the place. No wonder he's so cracked.

55 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hide contents

I mean, how can a game with such a carefree, uplifting soundtrack be anything but happy?

Spoiler

This is definitely a hint that something is going to happen with the music/sound. You can’t fool me.

49 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Were you the kid? Is this your backstory and why you hate RPGs?

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And according to you this game becomes the next classic masterpiece in literature in its first five minutes, so...

True.

Ok that's a bit of an exaggeration but the way the story is told kept me really intrigued for the 25 hours it took me to finish the game. If by some chance it comes to PC or you manage to get a PS4, give it a shot.

55 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

As for the ground sections... yes, flicking the mouse in a direction to turn the camera is wonky, but here's the thing - I don't see how this could possibly feel any better in the 3DS. Flicking the stylus and praying that the camera doesn't over/undershoot the enemy would be just as annoying, except I'd also have to worry about the fact that my hands are bent over backwards in an attempt to be able to reach all the required buttons.

The thing is you don't have to flick the stylus at all when playing on 3DS. Unless you want to.

It's like playing Metroid Prime with mouse and keyboard vs with actual controls (GameCube or Wii). Trying to change beams or visor? With mouse and keyboard, you have to drag the mouse over to whatever it is you want to change. On GameCube, simply tap the C-stick in the direction. On Wii, simply tilt and point.

My point here is that the aiming in Uprising would feel way more natural on the actual hardware it was designed for. If you're having to flick just to change the camera on mouse and keyboard, that kinda proves my point.

Anyways rant side, it's looking like it's working for you so hopefully you can now enjoy one of the greatest games ever made.

26 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Also Dycedarg has his class name as "Lune Knight" when it's supposed to be "Rune Knight".

Ah yeah, this was common back then. "L" and "R" in Japan are pronounced the same but written differently. Even some fan-translations will get affected by this because while sometimes it's obvious which letter to use, other times it isn't.

19 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Ruben went he went upstairs and found no party

d25ee7c9ef010fb15f98599c6b9b69279b277cca

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ah yeah, this was common back then. "L" and "R" in Japan are pronounced the same but written differently. Even some fan-translations will get affected by this because while sometimes it's obvious which letter to use, other times it isn't.

Considering they also have a weapon named "Rune Blade" same concept, its hard to believe they messed that up. It could have been "Lune Blade" after all!

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Considering they also have a weapon named "Rune Blade" same concept, its hard to believe they messed that up. It could have been "Lune Blade" after all!

It's not that hard to believe tbh. Anguirus's name was localized as Angilas in the English dub of Godzilla Raids Again but no, it really is supposed to be Anguirus.

But Godzilla Raids Again came out in 1955 and the standards for a faithful localization were even lower back then, i'd imagine.

36 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Its... pretty bad, yeah. Also Dycedarg has his class name as "Lune Knight" when it's supposed to be "Rune Knight".

That's a much more reasonable mistake, though. R and L confusions is a classic in translation from Japanese. But turning a guy into his own older brother for no reason is just... so fucking weird.

36 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Poor guy has identity crisis all over the place. No wonder he's so cracked.

Hah!

27 minutes ago, Sooks said:
  Reveal hidden contents

This is definitely a hint that something is going to happen with the music/sound. You can’t fool me.

Spoiler

There is nothing suspicious. Keep moving.

27 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I'm not even sure how to respond to this. You're giving me some sort of supervillain backstory now. For my distaste for RPGs, of all things.

...Ah well, it made me laugh, so it's fine. But no, it really was a friend. Have you any idea how long it's been since I last played a game in Spanish? Not to mention, the most Final Fantasy I've played was like, 30 minutes of VI.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

True.

Ok that's a bit of an exaggeration but the way the story is told kept me really intrigued for the 25 hours it took me to finish the game. If by some chance it comes to PC or you manage to get a PS4, give it a shot.

PS4 is out of the question. I have zero interest on PS consoles. Sooo yeah. That PC port better happen or I can forget about the game.

The thing is you don't have to flick the stylus at all when playing on 3DS. Unless you want to.

My point here is that the aiming in Uprising would feel way more natural on the actual hardware it was designed for. If you're having to flick just to change the camera on mouse and keyboard, that kinda proves my point.

Yeah, no. It says "slide from one side to the other to spin the camera around" in the tutorial, I just checked it. Heck, Pit himself straight up uses the word "flicking" lol. I cannot see how this'd be any more precise or comfortable in the original hardware. It's simply wonky camera controls derived from trying to put a shooter game in a console where shooter games don't work. And hey, don't get me wrong, it looks like they got by... decently, but proper PC controls would be a billion times better and there's no denying that.

...Okay though, the part that is news to me is that you can click to stop the camera spinning. That's interesting. Hey, maybe I shouldn't have skipped all the tutorials. Who woulda thunk it.

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It's like playing Metroid Prime with mouse and keyboard vs with actual controls (GameCube or Wii). Trying to change beams or visor? With mouse and keyboard, you have to drag the mouse over to whatever it is you want to change. On GameCube, simply tap the C-stick in the direction. On Wii, simply tilt and point.

Good thing I have no intention of ever touching anything named Metroid again.

Also, "simply tilt and point" is kinda the same as "simply move the mouse and click", isn't it now?

Anyways rant side, it's looking like it's working for you so hopefully you can now enjoy one of the greatest games ever made.

I... have serious doubts about that, but it does look fun.

Ruben went he went upstairs and found no party

d25ee7c9ef010fb15f98599c6b9b69279b277cca

It wasn't me, damnit!

29 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, no. It says "slide from one side to the other to spin the camera around" in the tutorial,

Slide =/= flicking it at the speed of light. Only times i've actually had to flick is if an enemy is moving super fast (they exist and are annoying to deal with).

Other than those specific instances, controlling the camera is a non-issue. I'd record myself doing it but i gotta leave for work soon.

31 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Also, "simply tilt and point" is kinda the same as "simply move the mouse and click", isn't it now?

It would actually depend on the sensitivity. In the case of Metroid Prime, tilting the Wiimote just feels more fluid than selecting the same options with a mouse.

Probably because you also have to hold up a button to bring up the visor/beam selects. So on mouse+keyboard, you would also have to press and hold whatever button you set that to. On Wiimote, it's right there.

34 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It wasn't me, damnit!

It would be funny if it was.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

It's not that hard to believe tbh. Anguirus's name was localized as Angilas in the English dub of Godzilla Raids Again but no, it really is supposed to be Anguirus.

Looks to me like the inspiration, not looking up what the kaiju actually looks like, so I could be totally wrong, is the Latin "Anguis". Referring to reptilian creatures that if you saw one you'd say "A snake", but then the biology nerd in your group says "No, it's a slowworm, which is not the same as a snake" and then you respond "Dude, that's a snake".

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

FFVII original, I think I saw someone mention that when I was watching the English translation videos last night. The Spanish/French/Italian/German translations of that game are supposedly very bad, not that I could tell nor have looked up.

And to be fair, it's likely using the already flawed English translation as the basis of translation, since, at the time, translation out of Japanese in video games wasn't fully shaped up yet even in English (it's possible the game had just one English translator, a small team is ideal for translation). They probably didn't have many Japanese-to-Europanese translators available, and instead used the abundant and necessary, b/c the past two centuries of Anglo-American geopolitical dominance, supply of English-to-Europanese translators.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

29 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Slide =/= flicking it at the speed of light.

Other than those specific instances, controlling the camera is a non-issue. I'd record myself doing it but i gotta leave for work soon.

Hey, I never said it was a big issue. Just, compared to what it would've been if the game were on a system where shooters actually worked well... It'd probably feel less workaround-ish. Could've asigned buttons to moving the gamera and leave the mouse to point, since the camera only ever moves left and right.

But well, no point in arguing this further. It doesn't matter which of the two options is slightly better because they both work and one of them is simply not available to me. The last experience I had with my 3DS was miserable enough that I don't ever want to touch it again if I can help it.

Only times i've actually had to flick is if an enemy is moving super fast (they exist and are annoying to deal with).

Nice. Looking forward to it.

It would actually depend on the sensitivity. In the case of Metroid Prime, tilting the Wiimote just feels more fluid than selecting the same options with a mouse.

Probably because you also have to hold up a button to bring up the visor/beam selects. So on mouse+keyboard, you would also have to press and hold whatever button you set that to. On Wiimote, it's right there.

Ooohhh, wait, tilting as in, tilting the wiimote sideways? Not pointing at options on the screen?

You vastly underestimate how flexible some emulators are when it comes to controls. In Dolphin you can bind the motion of tilting the wiimote into a button. I could bind the tilting to the mouse wheel, and there we go, now I can switch weapons very easily, like in any PC shooter. And if the emulator supports multiple control profiles? Then you can just have a different profile for each game, and configure each control scheme to suit the game best. It's honestly wonderful... Depending on the emulator, of course. Not all emulators are as good as Dolphin. Thankfully Citra is, so I can play Kid Icarus just fine.

It would be funny if it was.

Yes, well, it wasn't.

We really are exactly a month away from Metroid Dread a.k.a GOTY huh.

I hope it ends up being as good as people assume it's going to be.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

FFVII original, I think I saw someone mention that when I was watching the English translation videos last night.

Hah, what a coincidence.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And to be fair, it's likely using the already flawed English translation as the basis of translation, since, at the time especially when translation in video games wasn't fully shaped up yet even in English (it's possible the game had just one English translator, a small team is ideal for translation). They probably didn't have many Japanese-to-Europanese translators available, and instead used the abundant and necessary b/c the past two centuries of Anglo-American geopolitical dominance supply of English-to-Europanese translators.

Yeah, this is all true. I can totally understand some overworked intern would've completely missed the context of that sentence if they were just trying to get the shit done as fast as possible so they could sleep lol.

'Morning, all!

Time for my first day of real classes. I'm a tad worried about how loud my social studies class is, but I guess that's out of my control!

Well, that was the first two chapters of Kid Icarus.

Eh. It's fun. Not a masterpiece or anything, and I don't understand what the point of making me stop every once in a while to recharge stamina is, but... fun. A bit like Metal Gear Rising. You kill things, have some fun and that's about it. Only with skewed controls and a bombardment of bad jokes. I'd probably like it better if the controls weren't what they are. Which I guess proves Armagon's point and invalidates my opinion entirely, but... Oh well. I have no faith they'd be any better in the original hardware, nor do I have a way to try. So yeah. It was a good attempt.

I'm starting to be over M&L too now. Ahh, damn my lack of commitment... What now?

8 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Hey, that's Olberic narrating the opening. I wonder if his blade is still unbending.

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

'Morning, all!

Time for my first day of real classes. I'm a tad worried about how loud my social studies class is, but I guess that's out of my control!

Hah! Wait, there's such a thing as a not loud class? I never believed it possible.