• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

15 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

* That's a distinction that I must make, because you'll often find me claiming that Garon is my favorite character in Fates.

I fucking hate Sumeragi so much. You'd think the guy who loves Garon with a passion would be immune to hating things in Fates's plot, but Sumeragi being there instead of Young Garon never, ever ceases to infuriate me. They were this close to salvaging Garon. This close!

I wonder if Fate's story would've been any better if they simply made Garon a good father to Corrin as Mikoto was a good mother.

On a different note, I've noticed that most Fire Emblem antagonists, or antagonists in general are usually the only characters allowed to have beards.

Ahahaha, and to think my first reaction to lunatic having static levels in Fates was "I don't like that."

Every time I see Arthur getting that perfect level, I feel reassured that no matter what happens, Fates cannot take that from me.

13 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

This map is so 💤

It's a pretty stupid map, yeah.

2 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

JeQEul9.png

Lol

And he calls himself a Swordmaster

What kinda Swordmaster has a pathetic 24 speed

He has more speed in the prologue hahahah

Sumeragi is bad and ugly.

Just now, GuardianSing said:

I wonder if Fate's story would've been any better if they simply made Garon a good father to Corrin as Mikoto was a good mother.

Definitely better than what we got, which is the most unintentionally hilarious character in the series.

Just now, GuardianSing said:

On a different note, I've noticed that most Fire Emblem antagonists, or antagonists in general are usually the only characters allowed to have beards.

Well, this is more prevalent in the modern FEs. Older FEs usually gave you a number of characters with facial hair here and there. Modern FE just refuses. I mean, hell, the only playable character with a beard in the entirety of Conquest is friggin' Nichol.

6 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

sg-feth-hanneman-tea-party-guide.jpg

The exception that confirms the rule, Shrimpy. I've said it many times before.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

But can it compare to Lorenz?

Different styles, they're both awesome

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Personajes de Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon (Lorenz) - Fire Emblem WoD

Mustache, beard, and eyepatch all in one. Plus a high-collar.

Lorenz was so powerful that Kaga had to somehow restrain him in book 2 before his badass power destroyed the entire game.

4 hours ago, Father Shrimpas said:

Not WT, but MT and hit due to Weapon Rank bonuses, which are quite big. And don't forget that having a weapon triangle advantage negates enemy weapon Rank bonuses (the main reason why the Weapon triangle is so important in Fates)

Isnt that part of the weapon triangle?

Oh hey, Azure gives you a recap-of-sorts to read if you didn’t play the previous game, and it’s not too long only because Zero is 80% filler hahaha. That’s nice, I guess it makes this game a little more accessible? It still probably spoils all of Sky for you, but it’s better than nothing I guess, if you absolutely swear upon starting with it for some reason.

This reminds me of when I first discovered the Trails series, which was way before this thread. I looked at Cold Steel III for about five seconds, heard something about “the game lets you read everything you’ve missed in the plot, but it takes 3 hours” and noped outta there. Don’t know how true that  statement is, but I just remembered that happened.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Lorenz was so powerful that Kaga had to somehow restrain him in book 2 before his badass power destroyed the entire game.

Lorenz? Powerful? Shall I remind you what his bases and level are in chapter 20?

Edited by Sooks

5 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Isnt that part of the weapon triangle?

Kinda.

The weapon triangle in Fates depends on weapon Rank, and goes from +/-5 hit to +/- 20 +/-2 Damage depending on weapon Rank. With Reaver doubling those values.

However that alone won't make the big difference you see in Fates. The bigger difference is in the Weapon Rank bonus.

Depending on Weapon Rank and weapon type, you get up +4 Damage/+15 Hit stat bonuses. However that bonus is gone upon Weapon triangle disadvantage.

It's the main reason Weapon triangle is so important in Fates, as suddenly the -20/-2 can become -35/-6 (depending on weapon type). 

Edited by Father Shrimpas

20 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Definitely better than what we got, which is the most unintentionally hilarious character in the series.

We all like to talk about the "increasing groans of discomfort" but I'm a personal fan of the "Laughs Evilly" subtitle near the end of Birthright.

Here's my tip of the day, kids: Just because you can lure Reina closer early, doesn't mean you should.

Jesus Christ, thank God Arthur is so amazing that he only needed one lucky dodge to escape with his life...

Also, I just went on Google and I was logged out for some reason. Huh.

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Lorenz? Powerful? Shall I remind you what his bases and level are in chapter 20?

His beard stat is high, that's all that matters.

I died at the last minute to the reinforcements that appear when Scarlet moves.

Not gonna lie, they may not be ambush reinforcements, but I hate this particular set of reinforcements with a passion. The wyverns are okay, they're far away, but four cavaliers right on top of you is really difficult to deal with when a bunch of wyverns have charged at you at the same time.

Welp. Time to redo everything. Hurray.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Not gonna lie, they may not be ambush reinforcements, but I hate this particular set of reinforcements with a passion. The wyverns are okay, they're far away, but four cavaliers right on top of you is really difficult to deal with when a bunch of wyverns have charged at you at the same time.

F.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And this, my friends, is why I love casual mode.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The 4 cavs are usually no problem for me tbh. I just have to make sure nobody is paired up so i have enough actions to deal with everyone

1 minute ago, Father Shrimpas said:

The 4 cavs are usually no problem for me tbh. I just have to make sure nobody is paired up so i have enough actions to deal with everyone

Yes, this was a mistake on my part, I'll admit. A couple of the pair ups I had wouldn't have made a difference, but forgetting to separate Nichol and Daniela was a terrible blunder.

All right, I've figured out the secret to giving Daniela experience. She gets two points from everything, from mooks to Ryoma. She also gets two points from heal. Buuuuuuut mend gives her 12. Sooo yeah. Time to have her only use mend to heal even when it's not necessary!

Wait, wha... Now Daniela healed Arthur and it's back to giving her only 2 experience. I don't understand anything... Is it Nichol? Oh yeah, it is Nichol. She has to heal Nichol specifically to gain any experience. She gets no experience from a promoted boss kill that's a lower level than her, but she gets experience from healing a prepromote that's a lower level than her. This game's experience formula is so weird... But at least now I have a way to actually level her up.

Anyway, Daniela's luck is so amazing that she could fight Takumi without facing a chance to get hit critically, which is all sorts of amazing. Then the plan to fight Scarlet went awry and I was once again unable to do anything to the cavs, and this time there were no pair ups to blame. Thankfully, I was able to build a wall of units to protect my squishies, and then the AI made a miscalculation and didn't gang up on Daniela, which could've killed her. So, smooth sailing, all in all.

Also, I was starting to wonder just how RNG screwed my Effie is. So I checked her base stats. Turns out, my girl's gotten exactly one point of defense in 9 levels on a 55% growth, and three points of speed, which is less horrible but still pretty bad on a 55% growth. She's only missed strength once, though... Honestly, I'm kinda considering switching her to fighter with another partner seal, because at this point Effie and Arthur seem to be shaping up to be a better fit for one another's class. Except Arthur gets to keep his axe rank as a general, whereas she'll be stuck in E rank hell... Ah, nothing an arms scroll can't fix.

gsdx-20211126124732.png

It is done.

Took me only the entire day, cutting through one boss of 200k HP who had I to kill in seven turns for the Skill Point, and two more bosses of 280k which I vanquished in ~12 turns each. All three of these having a damage-reducing barrier and 10-20% HP regeneration per turn, furthering artificially inflating their sponginess. Although I was far from exhausting my resources, the final battles are certainly the worst part gameplay-wise of the OGs.

gsdx-20211126131045.png

Whoa, hold on there!

I ran headlong into Original Generation 1 back on the... *checks date* 18th of this month. It's been 11 days of nonstop eyes-exhausting through-sickness-&-health play of this game. I've spent many dozens of hours -voluntarily and joyfully- witnessing a plot I remember and fondly well from childhood. And between said chatty segments, blowing up hundreds of heaps of virtual metal, being entranced by resounding tunes and exuberant animations of purest destruction. I never truly grew tired of Irm shouting Keito Ragoken! Ankensatsu! as he carried out two clean swings of the Grungust's sword set to the music of Time to Come or whatever the boss's theme was that overrode it. Although I did turn off the animations rather frequently after a point. At 42 Episodes (really 43 given Episode 41 is two lengthy fights in one), I've been playing at a rate of at least 4 stages per day. Few actually exceeding 10 turns in length with me getting 40/41 Skill Points, but still, the turns got lengthy.

So no, I'm not going to continue into OG2 right now. Not for a long while, I need a break. Maybe not the six months IIRC that pass between OG1 and OG2, but a little while. -And that completely ignores the scrap iron giant in the room- OG1 Kyosuke's Route. That 28.57% uncanonical storyline must be played to completion before I get to OG2, since it'd be awkwardly weird otherwise.

Don't let my above exhaustion mislead you. I had incredible fun, and I regret nothing. But taking another bite right now would go from full as f*** to, to triggering an explosive vomit reflex.

1 hour ago, Father Shrimpas said:

Kinda.

The weapon triangle in Fates depends on weapon Rank, and goes from +/-5 hit to +/- 20 +/-2 Damage depending on weapon Rank. With Reaver doubling those values.

However that alone won't make the big difference you see in Fates. The bigger difference is in the Weapon Rank bonus.

Depending on Weapon Rank and weapon type, you get up +4 Damage/+15 Hit stat bonuses. However that bonus is gone upon Weapon triangle disadvantage.

It's the main reason Weapon triangle is so important in Fates, as suddenly the -20/-2 can become -35/-6 (depending on weapon type). 

Formulas, formulas, formulas! 

Im done. Xd

Oh wait, I just realized. I was wrong before. Nichol isn't the only playable character in Fates with a beard. Benny has a tiny, almost invisible, but very much existent little patch of hair on his chin. Not quite a soul patch, either, it extends further below. Damn.