• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Start with hand cannons.

HAND CANNONEER vs EVERY GENERIC UNIT | AoE II: Definitive Edition - YouTube

Not unlike how RD had crossbows be their own thing... which never happened again, best I know...

5 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

South America would be another very interesting setting placement, no matter the time period.

Certainly.

Also, no joke, but the very first OG Ballisticians from Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light were basically mechanized artillery.

Ballista, Catapult, Flamethrower, Laser Cannon, Panzer Cannon...

It was a beast of a multi-purpose technological marvel.

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The gatcha summoning tool is a gun. Which is now usable as a weapon with the rather belated addition of the summoner as a customizable playable unit.

Really? 

For a game I've turned on at least once every day I somehow never knew about this.

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Actually...

Guns? Please...

Fire Emblem: Fates English (DLC) - Xenologue: Ballistician Blitz! |  RasouliPlays - YouTube

We already have TANKS.

So theoretically there is such a thing as gunpowder in the FE world.

1 minute ago, GuardianSing said:

So theoretically there is such a thing as gunpowder in the FE world.

Blazing Sword has shown us they don't need to. Fire Magic works just as well since that's what the Mine item worked with. Unless... that's what ignites the gunpowder that totally exists then.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Benice said:

What is a Break/Boost mechanic?

In Octopath specifically, it works like this: There are like six weapons types and six types of magic, with each class being able to use 2-4 of these on their own. Every enemy has a set amount of weaknesses of these attack options, and a shield with a number on it next to their name. This represents the amount of armor they have, and if you hit them with their weaknesses as many times as is on the shield, they’re “broken”, skipping their turn and lowering their defense. Every turn, your characters gain a boost point, except for turns where they use them, and these can be used to increase the amount of attacks you use, the power of your attacks, how long stat boosts last for, or let you use ultimate skills. The best strategy is to time max boosting with as many broken enemies as possible, which meant I was always thinking four turns ahead and made the combat very thoughtful and enjoyable, at least to me.

And again, music good.

That means battle music:

Character/story themes:

Especially this one if you’re a fan of classical, and there’s more where this came from.

And area themes!

Play Octopath, Benice. It may take you 5000 years, but they will hopefully be an enjoyable 5000.

38 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Well the point was moreso that it's a common mechanic and it just may have to do with the fact that you play little in the way of JRPGs but as fas as turn-based games go.

I mean, yes, but I never say no to recommendations.

Admittidly, Break is much more common than Boost but:

• Later Atelier games have Break mechanics (Lulua also has a Boost mechanic)
  • You're already a Trails fan so no need to recommend those
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions, which has Persona combat but better
    • On that note, i gotta call you out for saying P5 combat is generic when it has the thing you like Octopath for but admittedly, P5 combat is kinda good generic, because i've seen way more turn-based games that are better
  • Xenosaga has Boost and Break but Episode III nukes the other two Episodes from orbit in terms of gameplay quality
  • Endless Frontier (don't play this one) and it's sequel (maybe play this one) have Break, as do the Project X Zone games (don't play the first one)

Well, specifically, I liked the combination of boost and break in Octopath, I don’t think either would have been even nearly as good as they were in the game if the other mechanic didn’t exist, they compliment each other very well. That was what constantly kept me thinking.

I left out action games because while they can have Break in them, ARPGs do not follow the same rules.

It’s okay, I’m just as picky with action games anyway!

19 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Sooks was actually right

This should be teehee’s catchphrase.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Hey, my first game over in Triangle Strategy! Hooray!

How far into the game is this, out of curiosity? If it’s pretty far, does that mean you’d say it’s overall easy?

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

How far into the game is this, out of curiosity? If it’s pretty far, does that mean you’d say it’s overall easy?

My GO wasnt gameplay related, it was event related lmao.

Honestly, some fights pushed me pretty hard, there is little cheese factor from what ive played so far, AI sometimes... Strangely breaks, though.

Also, I have no idea how far I am, first playthrough and all!

Edited by lightcosmo

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

My GO wasnt gameplay related, it was event related lmao.

Interesting…

Honestly, some fights pushed me pretty hard, there is little cheese factor from what ive played so far, AI sometimes... Strangely breaks, though.

That’s good, although the AI thing is a little curious.

Also, I have no idea how far I am, first playthrough and all!

I mean more along the lines of how many hours.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Interesting…

That’s good, although the AI thing is a little curious.

I mean more along the lines of how many hours.

I dont think failing fights gives GO status, you start the fight over with exp intact.

Strategy game +A.I = broken for the most part.

Hmm, ill let you know tomorrow, haha.

Based?

2 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

I mean, we have more than 50% here saying Rev good xD

... You are right. Actually, who in this thread doesn't like Revelation?

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

I need to know what alternate dimension you hang out in because this is the first time i've heard of this.

Reddit

2 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

I completed every sidequest and got all but three BP, so that might be why.

Imagine not letting Estelle assert dominance over Olivert as a shit-tier bracer

1 hour ago, Shrimpolaris said:

9vZwpv9.png

What the fuck just happened?

6 minutes ago, Awakened_06_ said:

Reddit

Eh? The main FE subreddit?

Because there they want other cultures portrayed as well, and there are quite a few discussions on how for example indian or arab ones could be implemented.

What the sub is usually against is sci-fi'ing the series.

6 minutes ago, Awakened_06_ said:

What the fuck just happened?

Garonquest

Edited by Shrimpolaris

This is probably the weirdest thing that happened in this year.

10 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Eh? The main FE subreddit?

Because there they want other cultures portrayed as well, and there are quite a few discussions on how for example indian or arab ones could be implemented.

So the opinion is changing, because in 2017-2018 everything that was not traditional FE was heresy. I admit I haven't been visiting the subreddit much lately. Most of the stuff there is fanart, anyway.

10 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Oh, the game written by Ruben. I should have known better...

Also, I thought you had enough of Fates

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

In Japan Sacae is known as Saka, name taken from here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saka

So yeah, from the central steppes of Asia.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️

Sacae is an alternative spelling of "Saka", which refers to a Central Eurasian nomadic group of antiquity with some kind of relation to the Scythians. The exact relation is difficult to define, since they were nomads who left little physical evidence behind and don't have a big if any written record. Relying on contemporary settled empires and kingdoms on the borders of the steppes is always a crapshoot for accurate history and defining of the many and ever changing peoples of Central Eurasia. Anyhow, from Wikipedia.:

Scythia-Parthia_100_BC.png

Since the indigenous peoples of the American Great Plains roamed flatlands in tents, and that Central Eurasia is almost entirely ignored in history classes, it's understandable Western and specifically American audiences would confuse the two. In terms of their way of life and related geography, they're superficially similar.

Thank you for the clarification.

2 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

South America would be another very interesting setting placement, no matter the time period

South American FE with the city of El Dorado inspiring one of the nations.

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

In Octopath specifically, it works like this: There are like six weapons types and six types of magic, with each class being able to use 2-4 of these on their own. Every enemy has a set amount of weaknesses of these attack options, and a shield with a number on it next to their name.

"In Octopath specifically" bro this is like the basic fundamentals of a Break system that like most JRPGs have.

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Well, specifically, I liked the combination of boost and break in Octopath, I don’t think either would have been even nearly as good as they were in the game if the other mechanic didn’t exist, they compliment each other very well.

It obviously depends on how the game is being designed. I wouldn't even hypothetical an Octopath missing one of the two mechanics because then it's not Octopath anymore. It's all about the execution. 

1 hour ago, Shrimpolaris said:

9vZwpv9.png

Excelblem timeline Marth.

31 minutes ago, Awakened_06_ said:

Reddit

Ah of course. Reddit.

25 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

And they're all cowards.

38 minutes ago, Awakened_06_ said:
... You are right. Actually, who in this thread doesn't like Revelation?

Incidentally, I did not realize the internet has made a Wide Zelenskyy Walk meme as opposed to a Wide Putin Walk meme now. I should use this more often.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

"In Octopath specifically" bro this is like the basic fundamentals of a Break system that like most JRPGs have.

I mean, maybe, but I’m not trying to explain all of JRPGs, just Octopath. I’ll leave those explanations for people who’ve actually played more than a few JRPGs.

It obviously depends on how the game is being designed. I wouldn't even hypothetical an Octopath missing one of the two mechanics because then it's not Octopath anymore. It's all about the execution.

Of course, of course.

Edited by Sooks

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

South American FE with the city of El Dorado inspiring one of the nations.

Plot Twist: South America alright... but it's the Guyanas.

The non-LatinAmerican parts of South America: "We exist, dammit!"

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Xenoblade 2 (most of the series actually) has a Break though it's execution is obviously different.

If I understood Xeno combat, it'd probably not taken me 10 tries to beat Lila in both fights.

3 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Nothing, Mar10 (as in March 10th) looks like the word "Mario".

...It's already March 10th?! St. Elimine, we leave in a month...

That makes sense, though. Thank you!

According to Super Smash Bros. Melee's Japanese version, Mario is around 26.

The real question now is whether Mario canonically ages or if he exists in a pocket dimension as a Time Lord...

I completed every sidequest and got all but three BP, so that might be why.

Estelle_Bright_-_Portrait_0507_(FC).png

I spent four hours getting lost on a highway, but I eventually found the monster I was looking for.

1FgzvQd.jpg

I will get those BP, mark my words!

3 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Like would they aesthetically replace bows or would they be an entirely new type of weapon?

I've always thought that it'd have been cool if they had really high might and could attack from 1-3 range, but they can only attack once per turn, given that muskets were not the most efficient fellows around. They could also have a point-blank attack where you'd use two musket balls instead of one, which was occasionally used in the 1700s.

3 hours ago, Sooks said:

Play Octopath, Benice. It may take you 5000 years, but they will hopefully be an enjoyable 5000

Perhaps... I'm not sure I'm cut out for JRPGs. 'Specially multi-route ones, I tend to not be huge on 'em; I made an exception for LAD 'cause... Well... Ichi is a good boy.

The Octopath music is very nice, though. It's on gamepass too, so I suppose I might check it out at some point.

59 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This is why I don't play on PC.

52 minutes ago, Sooks said:

(CS music)

You know, I was biased towards CS because I've heard mostly bad things about it* and I love bad things and degeneracy, but I'm not sure I could love a game with a theme called "Pulsation to Tomorrow".

*I am aware that the general opinions of the game are different than what is here on the forums, but the first I heard of 'em was that they were bad.