6 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

But RPG mechanics that encourage choice are glorious. Skill trees, gear systems based more in options than stats, learning new powers as you progress, etc.

younger me considered these as overly diluted SHMUP mechanics that RPGs coopted because the base combat portion of their games had few interesting choices, most units adhering to their predictable combat roles. but both genres evolved over the years.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to preface this by saying that Super Mario is a Top 5 video game franchise for me and I LOVE almost every platformer and RPG, and I really like most of the Karts and some of the sports games, and even the Party games. With that said...

• Banjo-Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back, Crash Bandicoot: Warped, Spyro the Dragon, Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage!, and Spyro: Year of the Dragon are all outright better and more competent games than Super Mario 64, and Crash Bandicoot (the first one) and Banjo-Tooie are about on par with Super Mario 64. Super Mario 64 is an excellent game overall and certainly deserves much of the praise it gets, but...not all of it. It has an outright awful camera in several levels and certain controls, such as those for the Wing Cap, are truly atrocious. The issues Super Mario 64 has are purposefully ignored and/or overlooked because it's Mario, while the issues other platformers have are magnified far beyond what they deserve because they don't get the Mario bias. I'll also add that I think the two Banjo games, the three Crash games, and the three Spyro games are some of the best platformers ever made, with Banjo 1, Crash 2 and 3, and Spyro 1 and 2 standing in the same tier as the likes of Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, and Super Mario Odyssey.
  • While I'm at it, I'll also say that Crash Team Racing (and its Nitro-Fueled remaster) is better than every Mario Kart game.
  • Here's something more Mario-positive: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story is legitimately one of the best RPGs I've ever played. I'm not sure how unpopular of an opinion that is, but I rarely see it thrown in the discussion for best RPGs.
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day is a poorly-made game that fails as a platformer, and fails with the non-platforming gimmicks it throws at you throughout the game.
  • Final Fantasy XV is a Top 5 FF game. The core cast is among the best of the series and the gameplay, while maybe not everyone's cup of tea, is incredibly fun, in my opinion. The story isn't told very well and I wish it was conveyed better, but I love the story in and of itself.
  • The Resident Evil 2 remake is inferior to the PS1 original. I think the remake mishandled Mr. X and relied on it too much for cheap adrenaline rushes, and it made the enemies bullet sponges to a frustrating degree.
  • I do not like the God of War franchise in any way, shape, or form. I think it's a poor story all around, I think the gameplay is not all that great, and I think the characters aren't written very well.
  • Metroid: Other M is far from the best Metroid game, but it is also far from a bad one, and it isn't the worst Metroid game. It's fine, and people give it way too much undeserved criticism.
  • Tekken is a better series than Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter, with more enjoyable characters and a more coherent story (yes, really), and gameplay that I think is much more fun.
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate made some objectively bad decisions with its DLC cast. I don't want to get into it too deeply, so I'll just say...Piranha Plant.
  • The Donkey Kong Country trilogy on SNES isn't very good. The platforming is far too floaty and imprecise. Tropical Freeze is the best DK game.
  • Castlevania: Lament of Innocence is an underrated Castlevania game. While certainly not the best of the series, it's a good game and definitely not in that "bad 3D Castlevania" category.

Here's a hot take: Mega Man 2 is not the best game in the series, not even close. Is it better than Mega Man 1? Yes. Is it a good game? For the most part. Is it a fun game? It can be. But it's far from the most fair or fun entry in the series. Major points of contention:

• There are times when the game's design is just plain unfair. Major examples being Quick Man's stage, Boobeam, and the final boss. Quick Man's Stage because the lasers require such precise timing that they just aren't fun to deal with. Boobeam and the final boss because they're only weak to specific weapons, one of which is very easy to run out of, and if you run out, you have no way of refilling those weapons except getting a game over.
  • The game was made at a time when epilepsy wasn't yet well-documented, and so features some god-awful full-screen flashing, most pronounced with the intro to Wily Castle and the Mecha Dragon fight. It took until Mega Man 7 for them to finally rectify this issue, though it was at least downplayed in the later NES installments.
  • I prefer later Mega Man games with sliding, charge shots, Rush, Eddie, Beat, the shop, and currency drops. Those were all nice additions that have since come to define the series, and their absence in MM2 makes the game feel really minimalistic and sparse.

Now, as for what is the best entry, that's a tough call as there are certain games that stand out to me for one reason or another, but each one also has issues that make it so I can't say any one Mega Man game currently is the best in my view; rather, I have several favorite entries that each contain some, but not all, elements of my ideal Mega Man game.

• Mega Man 4 had one of the cooler RM cycles of the NES era. The weapons weren't quite Thunder Beam or Metal Blade crazy, sure, but they were overall much better balanced. Pharaoh Shot's unique charging method allows for some really clever tricks, and Flash Stopper is a vastly improved Time Stopper. MM4 also established a firm cycle of weaknesses after 2 and 3 both jacked around a great deal (what with 2's cycle being heavily lopsided and 3 actually being a weird 5-3 split, which I want to think is a product of the game's rushed development cycle, pun unintended). I also like Dr. Cossack and Kalinka, and would welcome their return in a future game (Mega Man 12, maybe?).
    • Point of contention: The weapon cycle is just a bit too standardized; each weapon deals exactly 4 points of damage to the boss weak to it with the exception of Flash Stopper.
  • Mega Man 7 has one of the best shop systems in the series, along with a really cool upgrade in the form of the Super Adaptor (which feels like a predecessor to MMX's Capsule armors). I'm baffled the Adapter has yet to return in a mainline entry (again, Mega Man 12 would be a good time). The fact Bass has gotten to have his equivalent show up in later games just makes the SA's absence all the more egregious. If nothing else, they could create a successor called Super Adapter II or something.
    • Points of contention: The boss cycle is split into halves despite not being composed of existing Robot Masters, which feels a little unnecessary. The Wily Capsule is also ridiculously hard to the point of not even being fun.
  • Mega Man 9 has perhaps my favorite weapon cycle of the series thus far, not to mention the first (and currently, only) female Robot Master boss, Splash Woman. It also features a shop more like MM7's after MM8 replaced it with a much more limited and less appealing part shop (and removed a lot of the items I've grown to like in the process). I also like how the ending features all eight Robot Masters rebuilt, returned to their benign programming, and interacting with the core characters to boot.
    • Point of contention: The removal of the charge shot and slide was wholly unnecessary and in fact a downgrade to the gameplay as a whole as the removal of the slide meant Mega had fewer options for avoiding attacks and also reduced the stage design potential, not to mention the game offers zero story explanation for the absence of the abilities.
  • Mega Man 11 not only brought back the slide and charge shot, it also introduced the Double Gear System which offers some interesting new wrinkles to the gameplay. Power Gear is basically the Classic version of charged Special Weapons and is available from the get-go to boot, while Speed Gear is basically Time Slow but always available. The fact the bosses all get to use one or both gears is also really cool. I hope to see Double Gear return in MM12, both as a gameplay feature and as a tactic for the bosses. I also appreciate seeing another ending scene where the Robot Masters are rebuilt and returned to benign programming; an ending that shows the Robot Masters being rebuilt and restored to their original functions or repurposed really should be a staple of the franchise, especially if goofy antics or heartwarming scenes ensue.
    • Points of contention: Now Proto Man and Bass are absent, without so much as DLC stories to give them some kind of presence. I also find the Robot Masters a bit lacking compared to 4, 7, and 9, as much because they missed a big opportunity to add more female Robot Masters. They really should try for a 4-4 split if possible going forward, or even experiment with a mostly or all-female roster.
Edited by Lord_Brand

In no particular order:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks is my favourite Zelda game. The game is definitely flawed: the spirit flute has to be the worst Zelda instrument ever, and, although I really liked the train, I can understand why many didn't. That said, I absolutely love the game; I love how it makes a number of funny jabs at various Zelda conventions while also going out of its way to defy those conventions; my personal favourite being Zelda saying she'll stay behind and wait for Link to save the day; saying that, as she understands it, it's a family tradition... only for her to immediately end up adventuring with Link and working together with him throughout the whole game. I absolutely love Link and Zelda's dynamic throughout the game, and I even like the train. Speaking of Zelda from Spirit Tracks...

2. Midna is not the best of Link's adventuring companions; Spirit Tracks Zelda is. Don't get me wrong; Midna is a great character, and her story arc and her dynamic with Link are good. But Spirit Zelda is also a great character, her story arc is really good, she's hilarious, she's far more useful in gameplay, and her dynamic with Link is the best of any of Link's adventuring companions: their interactions are adorable, and the way they work together as equals is not only awesome, but easily places her above the rest of Link's companions. The final battle is Link and Zelda battling the final boss together as equals, with both of them together landing the final blow; who among the other companions has anything that epic?

3. Twilight Princess tries too hard to emulate Ocarina of Time. Again, don't get me wrong; Twilight Princess is a great game. I get that, at the time before its release, the fan outcry for a game closer to Ocarina of Time was immense after Majora's Mask and Wind Waker, but I personally never understood the outcry; I always liked Wind Waker including its art style, and I like that each Zelda game tries to do something at least a little different and stand out on its own; a long-running series like Zelda kind-of has to do that in order to continue to thrive. I even enjoyed Twilight Princess bringing back and expanding on things like Epona and that, so I don't think going back to Hyrule and having a more fantasy-epic conflict was a bad idea. I just think the game went too far in this regard, to the point that many of the things that would've made Twilight Princess unique: Wolf Link, the Twilight Realm, half the dungeon items, etc., ended up being very underutilized as a result.

For a quick comparison, Wolf Link is right there on the cover of the game and was probably the most advertised part of it, yet Wolf Link proportionately sees less use, and has less gameplay versatility, than Deku Link from Majora's Mask, and not only did Majora's Mask have two other transformations (3 including Fierce Deity Link), but it was made within a year.

Sorry that these are all Zelda-related; Zelda is my favourite game series. I'll think of some non-Zelda unpopular opinions later.

I'll just throw some out!

1. Persona 4 was honestly my least favorite Persona game due to a ton of reasons, such as the boring repetitive gameplay, the bad character writing (Looking at Chie & Teddy in particular) and... the queerbaiting which I won't elaborate on further because even mentioning that is liable to get Persona 4 fans very, very upset.

2. The original Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is in my opinion the weakest game of the entire Ace Attorney franchise. Still great though! I feel like the writers were still not sure how they wanted to write an Ace Attorney game, and luckily they figured it out.

3. I'll join the bandwagon and say that Soulsborne games just aren't for me.

4. Disney's Epic Mickey is still and will probably always be my favorite video game containing something Disney. 

Also, it's always just so refreshingly odd to me how people in these 'unpopular opinions' thread always seem to use the word 'objectively' in their posts about their unpopular opinions. That's not how the word 'objective' is used.

I think its an unpopular opinion to vastly prefer Hades over Medusa when it comes to Kid Icarus.

I was incredibly surprised when founding out that Medusa, not Hades was the more often named villain as a possible(but improbably) Smash candidate. I always assumed Hades completely blew her out of the water, given the cast only became ''real'' characters in uprising, and it being Hades, not Medusa who carried the villains there.

- Story in videogames matters less than zero: by definition videogames are supposed to have good and pleasant interactions for players first and foremost, so that they feel like they're actually doing something that deserves their time. tl;dr a bugged/glitched/boring/unengaging to play videogame that has the best story mankind has ever created is worse than a game with a shit-tier story but great gameplay (NieR:Automata)

- Good narrative, on the other hand, is something any form of media that involves characters speaking needs and that's what makes a shit-tier story interesting, along with other elements such as direction, screenplay and most importantly music (again, NieR:Automata). They don't, however, save a game from being bad, should it feature a poor gameplay

- Undertale is a bad game

- Kingdom Hearts 3 is a good game

- Xenoblade 1 is a generally worse game compared to Xenoblade 2

- Remakes changing things or being faithful depends on the games they intend to modernize, on their gameplay balance and ideas, their flaws and their poorly aged elements, and one option shouldn't automatically be picked over the other

now some opinions i've read that i agree with:

On 10/24/2022 at 10:25 PM, Florete said:

FromSoft games don't need lower difficulties.

On 10/24/2022 at 11:56 PM, Imperator Squilla said:

OST is more important than graphics

Edited by Yexin

Whatever your video game opinion is, I don't agree with it.  😜

Oh, an Actual Opinion?  Reclassing in FE is a Good Thing.  Another game besides Fire Emblem?  Oh, fine.  The best Tactics protagonist is Marche.

1. I wanted to like Xenoblade Chronicles 1, but I couldn't. I wanted to like it because the story, characters, and especially the worldbuilding were very interesting. But I couldn't like it for two reasons:

1. The exploration is terrible. It felt like every single time I wanted to go even slightly off the main road to explore something vaguely interesting, there would be a level 90 monster right there waiting for me. It also didn't help that the locations, while interesting to look at and take in, were boring and tedious to navigate even when sticking to the main road.
  2. The combat is boring. I really do not like the MMO-like combat that revolves around auto-attacking and abilities that use cooldowns; I find it very boring as there's practically no thinking or involvement from the player. Once you know the most efficient order with which to use your abilities, a couple lines of code could theoretically easily replace the player character in most circumstances.

2. The best Pokémon generation is gen 4, though it admittedly is mostly saved by Platinum. I'll also admit that I never played any of the gen 5 games, which seem to be the most common answer to the question of the best Pokémon generation. But I really do think gen 4 is the best: I think SInnoh is the most interesting region, Barry is the best rival: being friendly yet still a challenging opponent, Cynthia is the best champion, the story has a genuinely epic weight to it thanks to moments like scaling Mt. Coronet and confronting Team Galactic at the top of Spear Pillar, etc. It's a real shame then that the best gen had to have the worst remakes.

3. I'll join those who are saying that the Soulsborne games aren't for them; they aren't for me either. A large chunk of it is probably from the terrible first experience I had with the series by trying Dark Souls 3 for the first time, as basically every Soulsborne fan I talk to says that 3 is the worst in the series for a beginner and that 1 or Demon's Souls would be better. But, personally, for me, I think Soulsborne games really reflect something I've come to realize about the difference between difficulty and challenge in video games:

For me, difficulty is just, well, how hard it physically to succeed at something in a video game, while challenge is how hard it is mentally: how much I need to understand the mechanics, how much I need to think about what I'm doing, how much I need to carefully observe what's going on, etc. I don't care too much about how difficult a game is, but I want a game to ideally have a fair bit of challenge. And when I look at Soulsborne games, generally, all I'm seeing is difficulty with not a bit of challenge in sight. That was what made my experience with Dark Souls 3 particularly terrible; it wasn't that it was brutal, but that it wasn't challenging.

Edited by vanguard333

-All Pokemon main titles post-Gen. V have been soulless and boring. There's no "magic" to it anymore. The last one I finished was Gen. VI, even though I briefly attempted VII. I've seen my brothers play enough hours of VIII to recognize it as being also a boring game.

-To bring back just a small measure of that lost magic, all WiFi mechanics should be disabled up until a certain point in the game. At least the 3rd Gym, if not farther. On the copy's first playthrough, at least. After the game has been beaten once, it should be possible to enable full WiFi accessibility from the start on subsequent save files or retroactively on existing ones. But there should be at least one playthrough where, for a certain stretch of it, you're truly on your own.

-All PMD titles post-Explorers have been soulless and boring. There's no point making another one if it's going to be little more than a higher resolution rehash of Super or Gates to Infinity.

-Pokemon Go is soulless and boring.

-Nintendo fans could use another Donkey Kong game.

-There shouldn't be any more Super Smash Bros. It's got too many characters already.

-Children under 18 should be banned from gatcha games or anything that encourages microtransactions.

-Nintendo should recognize Pokemon's disproportionately adult fan base instead of ignoring them.

-Nintendo's modern game cartridges shouldn't be read-only. You should be able to slip it into anybody's console and resume your game immediately.

-Megaman Star Force shouldn't have been discontinued at Red Joker/Black Ace.

-Megaman ZX Advent is an underrated game.

Edited by Hrothgar777

7 minutes ago, Hrothgar777 said:

-All Pokemon main titles post-Gen. V have been soulless and boring. There's no "magic" to it anymore. The last one I finished was Gen. VI, even though I briefly attempted VII. I've seen my brothers play enough hours of VIII to recognize it as being also a boring game.

-Megaman Star Force shouldn't have been discontinued at Red Joker/Black Ace.

I don't think that first one is an unpopular opinion.

One thing that has been very obvious with basically every generation after gen v can be summed up with one word: "rush". It's less noticeable with gen 6 than gen 7 or 8, but they all show signs of having been rushed out the door to meet hard deadlines. Part of the problem is that Pokémon is a multimedia franchise; delaying a game in any other series means delaying just that one game, but delaying a Pokémon game would mean delaying the anime, delaying the trading cards, delaying the spin-offs, delaying the toys, etc., so the games really can't be delayed, and, especially now after making the jump to 3D, they've suffered as a result.

I agree about Star Force to an extent; I think 3 was a very fitting ending to the series, with so many overarching storylines wrapped up and with Geo's dad finally returning home at the end of the game, but I do think it would've been nice to see more games in the series. Apparently, there were plans for a fourth game, but it was ultimately scrapped and cancelled because the Star Force games never exactly sold well.

• Xenoblade Chronicles isn't a great series. It's fine, but nothing spectacular. The Last Story is better than all three of the Xenoblade games.
  • Mario Kart: Double Dash isn't a Top 3 Mario Kart. It's lacking a good battle mode and it feels overall pretty bare to me when I compare it to a lot of other Mario Kart games. I think DS, Wii, and 8 are all better. Others might be better, too, but I'm not as certain about them.
  • The Mega Man X games aren't particularly great and outright unfair in so many spots.
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003) on the PS2, while definitely not amazing and with very clear faults, is still a fun little beat-'em-up that's worth checking out.
  • I'm not entirely sure how unpopular of an opinion this is, but every time I look online, I see a whole lot of criticism and "this was pretty unnecessary and not great" takes aimed at The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Switch remake. In my opinion, the Link's Awakening remake on Switch is a fantastic game that improves and surpasses the original in every single way, and succeeds in being one of the best 2D Zelda games ever made to this point.
  • Star Fox has only ever had a single truly great game (and a port of said great game), with that game being Star Fox 64 (and the 3DS port). The original on SNES is fine for what it is, 2 on the SNES Classic is surprisingly good but not great, and the rest range between varying degrees of pretty mediocre to just plain bad.
  • The Last of Us is a very good game, but not a great game. I think it can be pretty clunky, sometimes it just doesn't feel great to play. And The Last of Us 2 is a much worse game, narratively.
  • Toy Pop is an overlooked gem of a classic Namco arcade game. It's really fun.
  • King Dedede is the best character in the Kirby franchise, not Kirby himself, no matter how many times Kirby say "poyo"!
41 minutes ago, Hrothgar777 said:

-Nintendo fans could use another Donkey Kong game.

-There shouldn't be any more Super Smash Bros. It's got too many characters already.

-Children under 18 should be banned from gatcha games or anything that encourages microtransactions.

I don't think these three are all that unpopular of an opinion to have, especially the DK one.

While I like World of Light as is, I think it would've been more interesting if there were certain sub-areas that acted as SSE-style platforming levels, that way some more balance against the Spirit Battles can be provided.

On 10/24/2022 at 10:25 PM, Florete said:

FromSoft games don't need lower difficulties.

There is an easy mode and it´s called using the  items the game gives you.

Do people think they put that stuff in the game by coincidence? There´s only so much being a hoarder excuses.

9 hours ago, Yexin said:

with a shit-tier story but great gameplay (NieR:Automata)

Sir, respectfully, but Nier:A has great gameplay?

7 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

A large chunk of it is probably from the terrible first experience I had with the series by trying Dark Souls 3 for the first time,

Perchance a victim of Iudex Gundyr?

12 hours ago, Florete said:

This is the unpopular opinions thread.

Maybe I’ve been stuck in the madness riddled Teehee thread for far too long trying to save the souls of those insane people using it, but from my experience on this forum people seem to like TMS # FE for some unknown reason.

Edited by Sidereal Wraith

Let's see...

-I don't think the original Dark Souls is that hard, and I'm not entirely sure why it earned the notoriety it did for being the difficult game. For the most part, I felt it was only a couple steps up from a Zelda game in terms of difficulty, aside from a couple of really nasty areas (Catacombs + Tomb of Giants) and the DLC, and the greatest difficulty for me was mostly in the navigation and figuring out what all the little numbers mean. Comparatively, DS2, 3 and Elden Ring all completely whooped my sorry abaft, so I certainly get the series' appeal in that regard, but... I dunno, something about DS1's difficulty didn't make it that brutal to me. Plus, if you had a friend or a guide to help you figure out the stats and stuff, I think it's something one could pretty comfortably give to a more casual player.

-Motion controls are pretty cool. I'd love to see more games use 'em, particularly on the Switch.

-I feel like Tears of the Kingdom should make the combat more beat-'em-uppy, with combos and more diversity to movesets. I really loved BotW and all the exploration and beautiful vistas to find, but particularly on Master Mode, I felt that the combat was rather lacking after the beginning of the game because of how simple it was and didn't have enough meat to be particularly enjoyable through such a gargantuan game- Though perhaps the lack of bosses also played a role in the tedium. Plus, there are essentially three melee weapons; One-handed, Two-handed, and spears, with the only progression and diversity being more damage and/or durability. As such, really fleshing out the combat by giving Link more options with each weapon type (Such as, say, four different combos e.g. Light+Heavy being one combo, LL+H being another, so on and so forth), maybe adding a few more movesets (e.g. fist weapons or dual-wielding weapons that occupy both hands) or adding a skill-tree progression for Link would be a good start.

Alternatively, expanding on staves and magic stuff could be a really neat and mostly unexplored direction to take combat, and I'd be all for that. Another they could do is add musical instruments with special powers that can have special effects, or have kind of a team-building aspect where you can recruit characters from around Hyrule so that you can defeat Ganon with the power of friendship, or any other kind of off-the-wall idea. Or, if nothing else, there should be a couple of weapons that look really cool and do unique things.

-Although I haven't yet finished Xenoblade 2 just yet and I cannot fully comment on the game's quality, I do feel that aside from the stunning visual design and out-of-this-world music, it's not that great of a game? It's got some really frustrating bits in terms of enemy placement low-key died more often in Gormott than I did in all of DS1, some of the levels are really hard to traverse or even know what you're supposed to do (IIRC I was stuck in Uraya trying to get to the capital for an eternity, and the old factory had me stuck for a while), the compass isn't all that helpful because of how vertical the areas are, and the map isn't much better- Finding NPCs for quests in Torigoth in particular was dreadful, but any area with more than one level was a lottery for where your target is.

Speaking of the quests, I also wasn't big on the affinity charts due to some of the really difficult-to-reach requirements, but this most bothered me for the field skills, which I kinda felt didn't need to be quite as difficult to reach. Additionally, the combat... Well, maybe my brain is just a 'lil too smooth for it, but I just never really understood it- I got that you do chain combos and all that, but I never really figured out if anything I was doing worked, or if I should have the same strategy for everything... Regardless, I'm not convinced by the combat.

Lastly, I thought that, from as far as I've gotten, the story and characters were kinda unmemorable. They had some funny interactions for sure, but I really don't remember what was happening in the story aside from the end goal the characters have, and it just kinda felt like everywhere I went was just part of a filler arc, perhaps? Nothing really seemed to be developing that much, nor did it feel like we were really doing anything that advanced the story. I don't mind slow stories (I really enjoyed RF4, for example, and I read a 500 page novel that had exactly three things happen in it), but... Well, I was 60 hours in when I stopped playin', and I really feel like I should have absorbed a little bit more of the plot after spending that much time with it, or I should have at least understood the point of the stuff I'd been doing.

Just now, Sidereal Wraith said:

Maybe I’ve been stuck in the madness riddled Teehee thread for far too long, but from my experience on this forum people seem to like TMS # FE for some unknown reason.

Homie, the Teehee thread favours Fates, Garon, and Berwick Saga. I don't think it's a representation of the fandom's general mindset...

10 minutes ago, Benice said:

Homie, the Teehee thread favours Fates, Garon, and Berwick Saga. I don't think it's a representation of the fandom's general mindset...

You have much to learn Benice. You must remember that I was there when it got released in 2015/2016. People were worshiping it as the second coming then as they continue to do so to this day.

2 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

Sir, respectfully, but Nier:A has great gameplay?

yes it does, and if your opinion is that it doesn't my only thought is that you put the controller down after like 2 hours of gameplay, or that you dragged yourself to the end of the game but felt unengaged after an initially negative impression and never changed your mind after that because your analytical capabilities were too clouded by those negative feelings to se Automata's merits

it may not be the best hack 'n slash game ever created and half of the side quests are trash gameplay-wise (the other half are really cool, like the puzzle one, the racing one and so on), but it just feels good when playing it, to the point you almost want to be as weak as possible so that battles last as much as possible, especially bosses; it's true that the game doesn't really reward you for being generally good at playing it, but there's a lot of variety in Automata that many other action games lack, and it's simply fun

2 hours ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

Maybe I’ve been stuck in the madness riddled Teehee thread for far too long trying to save the souls of those insane people using it, but from my experience on this forum people seem to like TMS # FE for some unknown reason.

The gameplay. That is all. Atlus knows how to make a great turn-based combat system. 

Anyway, a franchise-specific unpopular opinion: I dislike the fan-favorite Trails of Cold Steel 3, and really loved the much less liked Cold Steel 2. While I agree with the criticism's that Cold Steel 2's civil war was handled largely anticlimactically and with minimal significant character deaths, it at least provided an exciting backdrop for a game. It felt like the series had built to something and was continuing to build. Then comes Cold Steel 3 to throw you back into the school as a teacher, with a newer, lamer Class VII to teach. It feels like 10 steps backwards.

4 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

Perchance a victim of Iudex Gundyr?

Who? I didn't get very far in the game and I didn't learn the names of any of the characters. Plus, this was quite a few years ago.

And, as I said, it wasn't just that the game was brutal; it was that it was brutal without ever feeling like it was actually challenging me on anything. It felt like the only thing it was testing me on was how quickly I could press the roll button, which is not a challenge; it's just difficulty. I prefer winning by being smart over winning by just rolling over and over again.