Fire Emblem Engage General Questions Thread

Azz

21 minutes ago, Cray said:

I think I follow; let me confirm with an example:

Hide contents

Alfred and Celine both start as the Noble class. From the chart, one of them will promote to Avenir, and the other will promote to Vidame. I can't find a resource that shows what classes each character can promote to, so I'm guessing that Alfred is the Avenir because it doesn't have magic growth, and likewise Celine is the Vidame. Is my understanding correct?

Yes.

Alfred is Noble -> Avenir

Céline is Noble -> Vidame

Diamant is Lord -> Successeur

Alcryst is Lord -> Tireur d'elite

Ivy is Wing Tamer -> Lindwurm

Hortensia is Wing Tamer -> Sleipnir Rider

Timerra is Sentinel -> Picket

Fogado is Sentinel -> Cupido

To find the growths for each class, look to the promoted class and you'll know which is which.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Cray said:

I think I follow; let me confirm with an example:

Reveal hidden contents

Alfred and Celine both start as the Noble class. From the chart, one of them will promote to Avenir, and the other will promote to Vidame. I can't find a resource that shows what classes each character can promote to, so I'm guessing that Alfred is the Avenir because it doesn't have magic growth, and likewise Celine is the Vidame. Is my understanding correct?

Yep! You can also check what they promote into in-game: select someone in the inventory menu and the last option will be "change class". Their unique classes will be at the top of the list.

@DaveCozy Thank for explaining how fixed mode works. It was less complicated than I thought. 

------------------

So I made it to chapter 11 on Maddening Classic and I might just have to let characters die for real. Does anyone have tips for the chapter? The Freeze staff is annoying but I found that I can manage somewhat if I leave Yunaka or Alcryst in a forest tile while the others hurry out of the staff range. Another problem is the Sigurd Emblem Cavalier with the super boosted movement and I can't spare the attacks to push through to the seize point and slow down to take that Corrupted out. There's also another cavalier that gets the Roy Emblem but I doubt I can deal with it either since it takes 3 units to KO the starting Corrupted with the Roy Emblem.

10 minutes ago, Flying Shogi said:

@DaveCozy Thank for explaining how fixed mode works. It was less complicated than I thought. 

------------------

So I made it to chapter 11 on Maddening Classic and I might just have to let characters die for real. Does anyone have tips for the chapter? The Freeze staff is annoying but I found that I can manage somewhat if I leave Yunaka or Alcryst in a forest tile while the others hurry out of the staff range. Another problem is the Sigurd Emblem Cavalier with the super boosted movement and I can't spare the attacks to push through to the seize point and slow down to take that Corrupted out. There's also another cavalier that gets the Roy Emblem but I doubt I can deal with it either since it takes 3 units to KO the starting Corrupted with the Roy Emblem.

What class is your main character in?

6 minutes ago, Randoman said:

For chapter 13, is it possible to save the village around the southeast corner? Whether it's actually possible to save it or it can only be saved through hacking, what does it have?

It's possible, yes. Has an Elixir.

1 hour ago, samthedigital said:

What class is your main character in?

Alear is in their default Divine Dragon. I'm thinking of making them a Brave Hero once I get back an Emblem that can grant lance/axe proficiency.

Just cleared chapter 11. Had Yunaka distract the northern part of the map while my units pushed through. Also got the Tomahawk, which is a bonus since I'm using Boucheron.

1 hour ago, Flying Shogi said:

Alear is in their default Divine Dragon. I'm thinking of making them a Brave Hero once I get back an Emblem that can grant lance/axe proficiency.

Just cleared chapter 11. Had Yunaka distract the northern part of the map while my units pushed through. Also got the Tomahawk, which is a bonus since I'm using Boucheron.

What I would have suggested was wyvern Alear and having them push forwards as much as possible. Ivy, Kagetsu, and Zelkov join when Alear reaches a fixed point, so you can be a little reckless getting them to that point before finishing a turn or two after you get the new units. You don't need wyvern Alear, but it definitely helps to have that and canter to get them to reach the target faster.

4 hours ago, Azz said:

Do support bonuses work on EP or are they are PP thing only?

Support Bonuses work on both phases, assuming they work like past titles.

Speaking of, do they only work when adjacent to an ally? I assume so since you have to be adjacent with someone to build supports with them too...

EDIT: New Question!

I see Kagetsu and Panette topping unit rankings a lot; what are their best classes? I assume Panette wants to be a Warrior, but is Swordmaster good for Kagetsu or is he better as a Hero, Wyvern Knight or something else altogether? Thank you in advance!

Edited by DefyingFates

5 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

I see Kagetsu and Panette topping unit rankings a lot; what are their best classes?

Any physical class will do for them. Kagetsus probably best on a wyvern with access to spears and ya warrior is pretty great as well. Panettes probably best with warrior, though I found paladin to be pretty good as well on the account of mobility.

Edited by Vicyus

7 hours ago, Vicyus said:

Any physical class will do for them. Kagetsus probably best on a wyvern with access to spears and ya warrior is pretty great as well. Panettes probably best with warrior, though I found paladin to be pretty good as well on the account of mobility.

Thank you very much for the suggestions! Is there a specific reason you suggested lances for Kagetsu over axes?

I would like to ask for advice, who to fill my roster with for my maddening run.

I finished chapter 16 and majority of the chapters if I remember correctly will allow me to field 12 units. I have 10 who fill my main roster, but I'm still considering remaining members. Right now I have:

Alear - Wyvern knight

Chloé - Martial Master

Anna - Sage

Jean - Berserker

Lapis - Wyvern knight

Alcryst - the french thingie name I cant remember

Ivy - Lindwurm

Yunaka - Thief

Saedall - Dancer

Panette - Warrior

1st option I'm considering is Hortensia, since she is a good support unit, but I dunno if I need more mages and staff users.

2nd at this moment I'm considering between Merrin, Goldmary, Kagetsu, Timerra and maybe even Zelkov (dunno if double thief team is good idea) since those are units that right now dont necessarily fall behind. But I dunno which one and what class would fill the roster.

I'm not including Rosado, his growths are really good but I just hate Rosado.

Any tips?

Edited by Speedy

25 minutes ago, Speedy said:

1st option I'm considering is Hortensia, since she is a good support unit, but I dunno if I need more mages and staff users.

Running a bunch of mages isn't a bad idea considering the amount of targets they hit. In Hortensia's case if you have all of your Spirit Dust available she can be a good investment if you're not just warp skipping maps; it lets her deal decent while the other casters don't need help on that end. She's just a fantastic staff bot in general though; I'd highly recommend her.

28 minutes ago, Speedy said:

2nd at this moment I'm considering between Merrin, Goldmary, Kagetsu, Timerra and maybe even Zelkov (dunno if double thief team is good idea) since those are units that right now dont necessarily fall behind. But I dunno which one and what class would fill the roster.

If you want to go for purely the best unit available there it's Kagetsu. He can fill any physical role you want him to; the guy's bases are just stupid.

32 minutes ago, Speedy said:

Any tips?

I would suggest that you use Jean as a Warrior if you're going for axes. Doubling up on classes isn't always a bad idea, and the class just offers more. You could go with Hero too if you want the ability and Dual Assist, but I find that it doesn't get online fast enough to justify when you could be spending the points elsewhere, and the class doesn't get enough base strength. Otherwise you might want to reclass Yunaka eventually. I find that to make her relevant she needs a +5 forge as soon as possible (or str stat boosters, but you might have other units that want to use those too), but the damage just isn't impressive anyway especially without an emblem.

6 minutes ago, samthedigital said:

Running a bunch of mages isn't a bad idea considering the amount of targets they hit. In Hortensia's case if you have all of your Spirit Dust available she can be a good investment if you're not just warp skipping maps; it lets her deal decent while the other casters don't need help on that end. She's just a fantastic staff bot in general though; I'd highly recommend her.

If you want to go for purely the best unit available there it's Kagetsu. He can fill any physical role you want him to; the guy's bases are just stupid.

I would suggest that you use Jean as a Warrior if you're going for axes. Doubling up on classes isn't always a bad idea, and the class just offers more. You could go with Hero too if you want the ability and Dual Assist, but I find that it doesn't get online fast enough to justify when you could be spending the points elsewhere, and the class doesn't get enough base strength. Otherwise you might want to reclass Yunaka eventually. I find that to make her relevant she needs a +5 forge as soon as possible (or str stat boosters, but you might have other units that want to use those too), but the damage just isn't impressive anyway especially without an emblem.

Well Im running Jean as a berserker for the fun of it, his growths are through the roof and work really well with Ike. Alos I was considering Goldmary as a second warrior, but I'm just not sure about her growths. I guess I could reclass Yunaka but I just don't know into what. Wolf Knight so she doesnt lose daggers?

24 minutes ago, Speedy said:

Well Im running Jean as a berserker for the fun of it, his growths are through the roof and work really well with Ike. Alos I was considering Goldmary as a second warrior, but I'm just not sure about her growths. I guess I could reclass Yunaka but I just don't know into what. Wolf Knight so she doesnt lose daggers?

Wolf Knight works, but it doesn't fix her strength issues unfortunately. Sniper can be fun if you don't care about daggers. You can also consider running her with Lucina or Eirika to increase damage output/utility and such if you keep her as a thief. As for Goldmary I'm not sure how well she would do as a second warrior, but I'd imagine she'd be fine. I'd still pick Kagetsu for the job instead and pick up Hortensia though unless it's a just for fun pick.

37 minutes ago, samthedigital said:

Wolf Knight works, but it doesn't fix her strength issues unfortunately. Sniper can be fun if you don't care about daggers. You can also consider running her with Lucina or Eirika to increase damage output/utility and such if you keep her as a thief. As for Goldmary I'm not sure how well she would do as a second warrior, but I'd imagine she'd be fine. I'd still pick Kagetsu for the job instead and pick up Hortensia though unless it's a just for fun pick.

But what class on Kagetsu, I feel that Swordmaster is rather underwhelming class and he would probably benefit from a reclass.

21 minutes ago, Speedy said:

But what class on Kagetsu, I feel that Swordmaster is rather underwhelming class and he would probably benefit from a reclass.

It's tough to give you a concrete answer because almost every physical class (probably hybrid also) works once you can reclass; the second warrior you wanted to use works with him. He can go wyvern, wolf knight, hero, etc. He's just incredibly flexible because of his bases. I don't really want to give you a definitive answer because it will depend on what you want with the rest of your units, but I personally had him as a wyvern with a forged Killing Edge as my primary weapon using Lyn. He also works well with more than half of the emblems though.

Edited by samthedigital

1 hour ago, Speedy said:

Kagetsu is a ball of high stats kinda unit. He does well in basically any mobile cavalry or flying class. The thing that mostly limits him is the Emblems that he has access to when he joins, specially without DLC.

I would strongly recommend Wyvern Knight. If you don't have DLC, you have only 2 chapters to wait for Ike's Axe proficiency. With DLC, Hector is right there so even sooner reclass. Kagetsu's ability goes very well with Axes too as it makes him more accurate than a lot of other units. I see nothing wrong with having three Wyverns either, it's a really strong offensive class for the campaign.

If you'd rather reclass him right away with no DLC and want something different from Wyvern though, then Paladin is a good option too, which is also a ball of stats kinda class that just works well with Kagetsu. Bow Knight would work too if you want, but imo Paladin > Bow Knight in terms of stats. You can use Lyn emblem on him as Paladin and he can use her Bows in that class instead (Mulagir is better than almost any other bow sans the Radiant Bow).

Wolf Knight, Griffin Knight, and other classes work well too, but it depends more on proficiencies available at that point. The two I listed work well and are accessible relatively soon without DLC emblems.

Kagetsu in any class does particularly well with Lyn I find. He is already a really fast unit, and putting Lyn on him allows him to double basically every enemy even up to endgame. Including the ch24 boss with a refined Wyrmslayer to ORKO them with effective damage, that boss also has 40 AS.

Edited by DaveCozy

10 minutes ago, DaveCozy said:

Kagetsu is a ball of high stats kinda unit. He does well in basically any mobile cavalry or flying class. The thing that mostly limits him is the Emblems that he has access to when he joins, specially without DLC.

I would strongly recommend Wyvern Knight. If you don't have DLC, you have only 2 chapters to wait for Ike's Axe proficiency. With DLC, Hector is right there so even sooner reclass. Kagetsu's ability goes very well with Axes too as it makes him more accurate than a lot of other units. I see nothing wrong with having three Wyverns either, it's a really strong offensive class for the campaign.

If you'd rather reclass him right away with no DLC and want something different from Wyvern though, then Paladin is a good option too, which is also a ball of stats kinda class that just works well with Kagetsu.

Kagetsu in either class does particularly well with Lyn I find. He is already a really fast unit, and putting Lyn on him allows him to double basically every enemy even up to endgame. Including the ch24 boss with a refined Wyrmslayer to ORKO them with effective damage, that boss also has 40 AS.

Interesting, I am considering Wyvern knight or Paladin but probably sword/lance rather than sowrd/axe but we'll see I might just save him for next playthrough and turn him into a monster 😄

Okay... I'm staring down the barrel of chapter 17, and I'm worried about the trio of Zephia, Veyle, and SPOILER... Zephia has movement rivaling Quick Man, and then a shitload of other crap comes at you all at once when they go aggro. Any easy ways to deal with that?

Edited by Shadow Mir

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Okay... I'm staring down the barrel of chapter 17, and I'm worried about the trio of Zephia, Veyle, and SPOILER... Zephia has movement rivaling Quick Man, and then a shitload of other crap comes at you all at once when they go aggro. Any easy ways to deal with that?

I was also unable to aggro anything individually, and resorted to dance'ing my Corrin-sync'd unit to freeze the other bosses and focus-fire one per turn.

On 3/5/2023 at 12:13 PM, Azz said:

Yes.

Alfred is Noble -> Avenir

Céline is Noble -> Vidame

Diamant is Lord -> Successeur

Alcryst is Lord -> Tireur d'elite

Ivy is Wing Tamer -> Lindwurm

Hortensia is Wing Tamer -> Sleipnir Rider

Timerra is Sentinel -> Picket

Fogado is Sentinel -> Cupido

To find the growths for each class, look to the promoted class and you'll know which is which.

On 3/5/2023 at 1:07 PM, DefyingFates said:

Yep! You can also check what they promote into in-game: select someone in the inventory menu and the last option will be "change class". Their unique classes will be at the top of the list.

Thank you both! This was definitely helpful.

On 3/6/2023 at 8:15 PM, DefyingFates said:

I see Kagetsu and Panette topping unit rankings a lot; what are their best classes? I assume Panette wants to be a Warrior, but is Swordmaster good for Kagetsu or is he better as a Hero, Wyvern Knight or something else altogether? Thank you in advance!

Can recommend Wolf Knight Panette. Has been doing wonders for me, and I imagine Thief would work out similarly for her.

My Hero Kagetsu has been very solid, but he'll still need a bit of investment to be a powerhouse in combat. Hero is great, but not sure it's Kagetsu's best class.

10 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Aggroing the second wyrm (furthest west of your starting point) will aggro all remaining bosses on the map, if you're still planning that part out.

Zephia's movement gap also works slightly in your favour, as once you bait her she will reach you well before the other two bosses do, and can be ganged up on more easily. The boss with Leif can very much be Ike-tanked because he only makes use of Leif's kit. Ideally, you've beaten the other bosses on this map before you deal with these last three, though. I learnt from experience how tough this map can be if you get that wrong.