[FE7] No-Staves Experimental Draft

Sunwoo

I was talking with a few of the participants for the FE8 experience draft the other day and we got onto the topic of healers. Now, we all know how integral healers are to FE ... but are they really? I got through both the FE7 experience draft and my own Sacae-only playthrough without using any healers until Athos at endgame, and I personally think that if you can spam vulneraries in the early maps then you can breeze through the game without healers until endgame comes around. So ... I want to see how everyone else does. How much does banning staff usage until endgame screw up the rest of you? Well, let's find out!

No-Staves Experimental Draft on HNM

Drafting:

1. This draft is for 5 players.

2. Each player will have 6 drafted units.

3. The following characters are free: Hector, Eliwood, Lyn, Marcus*, Merlinus, Ninian/Nils, Matthew, Legault, and Athos

4. Bartre and Karla are drafted as a pair.

5. Marcus is banned once you get a deployment screen.

6. Serra and Priscilla are banned, period.

7. The game will be played on Hector Normal Mode, skipping Lyn Mode.

Rules:

1. Undrafted units may only be deployed to recruit other characters.

2. All Gaiden Chapters except 19xx, 23x and 28x are required to be visited. 23x and 28x may be visited at the player's discretion, and don't count towards the total turncount up to 20 turns taken per chapter.

3. Other units may do as they please without penalty.

4. Defend chapters count the last played Player Phase for turns if the timer is waited out.

5. You may not use staves.

Penalties:

1. Undrafted units have a 4-turn deployment penalty, per unit per chapter.

2. Warp, Rescue, and Fortify staves have a 10-turn penalty per use.

3. All other staves have a 4-turn penalty per use.

Exceptions:

1. Everyone is free until you get a deployment screen.

1a. Serra is free to be attacked, but she may not use a staff.

2. Lyn, Kent, Sain and Wil are free for Chapter 16.

3. Oswin is free in chapter 12.

4. Meatshielding is allowed in 13x.

5. Athos may use only the Fortify and Restore staves in endgame.

Teams:

4. Refa: Florina, Oswin, Erk, Pent, Dart, Renault

2. Elieson: Lowen, Isadora, Canas, Lucius, Rath, Karel

1. The Insane One: Sain, Heath, Hawkeye, Bartre+Karla, Vaida, Geitz/Wallace

5. PKL: Fiora, Kent, Dorcas, Farina, Louise, Jaffar

3. Rapier: Guy, Nino, Raven, Rebecca, Harken, Wil

[spoiler=units remaining]

I don't plan to participate, because I have several non-FE related stuff I have to work on, but I may change my mind if not enough people sign up.

Edited by Boron

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PKL: I decided to make everyone free before deployment just in case of situations where you can't avoid a penalty because one of them couldn't get away from an enemy in range in time. Especially those stupid pegasus knights in chapter 12. But ... if everyone else thinks that I shouldn't make them free, I'll change it.

Insane: I've never found a reason to absolutely use Hammerne. So ... I don't feel it's necessary. I'll allowing for Fortify because those endgame morphs, Nergal, and the dragon all hit hard. Restore because there's one berserk staff druid that may get lucky and make one of your units crazy.

Rapier: What do you mean exactly by the teams system?

fyi, just make oswin free for Ch12.

ch13 requires 0 freebies to complete. It can be Hector solo'd even.

13x, all are free to shield anyway.

14 has deployment screen.

Just ban Marcus from being deployed ever, and let Oswin free in 12.

PKL: I decided to make everyone free before deployment just in case of situations where you can't avoid a penalty because one of them couldn't get away from an enemy in range in time. Especially those stupid pegasus knights in chapter 12. But ... if everyone else thinks that I shouldn't make them free, I'll change it.

Insane: I've never found a reason to absolutely use Hammerne. So ... I don't feel it's necessary. I'll allowing for Fortify because those endgame morphs, Nergal, and the dragon all hit hard. Restore because there's one berserk staff druid that may get lucky and make one of your units crazy.

Rapier: What do you mean exactly by the teams system?

Well, you're introducing the participants in "Teams". So I thought how you were going to do that. Is this a tag-team like Draft or did I misunderstand it all? =P

Elieson: That's a good idea. Then ... does free Oswin for 12, meatshielding for 13x, and Marcus never being deployed seem fair?

Insane: To be honest, I don't use brave weapons anymore, so they just linger unused in my storage. mellow.gif The rest of you, what do you guys think? Should I free up Hammerne or not?

Rapier: Oh, no, this is not a tag team draft. What I meant by "teams" is the units that you pick. So ... your team would be all the free characters, plus the six units you draft.

Welcome aboard, Refa!

That leaves one spot open. If I can't get that spot filled before I go to bed tonight, unless you guys can tell me someone who wants it badly, then I'll take it up for the sake of not keeping the rest of you waiting.

Elieson: That's a good idea. Then ... does free Oswin for 12, meatshielding for 13x, and Marcus never being deployed seem fair?

Insane: To be honest, I don't use brave weapons anymore, so they just linger unused in my storage. mellow.gif The rest of you, what do you guys think? Should I free up Hammerne or not?

Rapier: Oh, no, this is not a tag team draft. What I meant by "teams" is the units that you pick. So ... your team would be all the free characters, plus the six units you draft.

Braves are great for endgame and killing Sonia/Limstella/Jerme/Ursula.

I have an fe7 craving, so I'm in

please don't let me be first

Nope. He will likely just shadow then, like in my exp draft. I thought I saw him in the member badge thread though...requesting an Eliwood badge...

I'm final for 2 of my 7 drafts...creeper is umm....lol. Anyway, shall we begin? I also propose making this an SOYO next time, for lulz

Edited by Elieson

Wait, aren't we still missing a player?

Edit: Updated the OP. There are a few minor rule changes (still in bold) that you may want to be aware of. Nothing big, so don't worry.

Edited by Boron

You are if you dont let sharpoon enter ^-^. If sharpoon wants to enter some more drafts, he should finish some more drafts first. Also, i swear silver harpoon must be starting to hate me lulz.

Edited by PKL

I didnt join because i dont see the point :p. I rarely use healers anyway >.>. And my backlog is almost as big as sharpoon's. If you guys need another player, then i can give it a whirl. FE7 doesnt take too long anyways.

You are if you dont let sharpoon enter ^-^. If sharpoon wants to enter some more drafts, he should finish some more drafts first. Also, i swear silver harpoon must be starting to hate me lulz.

I'VE FINISHED MY PREVIOUS GBA FE DRAFTS.

THE REST ARE FE10/FE9 ONES, AND I CAN'T USE THE WII EVERY EVENING, LIKE I WOULD LIKE TO-DUE TO MY PARENTS RESTRICTING USE OF IT.

I've said this more than once.