Is it possible to make an Est that's a high tier character?

FrostyFireMage

Philosophy and the academic study of philosophy have a connection comparable to that between sex and venereology.

Indeed. He's a philosophy major, so he should know about the "academic side" of it, when he doesn't.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philosophy and the academic study of philosophy have a connection comparable to that between sex and venereology.

Not true! The academic study of philosophy teaches us to know you, Baruch Espinosa - that makes it the sexiest of all things.

Yeah, if only he'd gotten a degree in logic so he could see how futile it is to argue with you amirite

That has more to do with religious studies or theology than with logic.

Why was the arby's post deleted, it was totally on topic and merited serious discussion.

With that said, we now need to debate the semantic definition of "disgusting" before we can continue any beneficial debate.

more interestingly, why wasn't mine deleted along with them? now it appears that i randomly brought up arby's and wendy's. wtf m8

I didn't realize being satirical meant an essay about me shaming the good name of the major I chose. On an internet forum about a niche video game series. Where we're talking about the questionable archetypal status of a video game character.

Watch out math majors, don't ever joke about 2+2 equalling fish! Hell hath rain fire and shame down upon thee if you joke about 2+2 equalling fish

as an astrology-physics major i have to disagree. the mathematical proofs, in addition to the words of the stars, tell us that 2+2=4.

Yeah, if only he'd gotten a degree in logic so he could see how futile it is to argue with you amirite

do u evn deb8, bro?

:smug:

Indeed. He's a philosophy major, so he should know about the "academic side" of it, when he doesn't.

i'm starting to wonder if you lack a sense of humor.

as an astrology-physics major i have to disagree. the mathematical proofs, in addition to the words of the stars, tell us that 2+2=4.

Irrelevant, astronomical psychics has nothing to do with math, dumbass

Since it seems like no one here is a math major, the only rational explanation for the answer of 2+2 is that it cannot possibly answered.

@Refa Nanna might actually reach 20/20 before she ever got that A staff!

I don't think Nanna is ever reaching A staff unless you full on abuse

Anyways, I don't see what the point of the prior discussion is. The point of the topic is questioning if an Est could be high-tiered. To answer it one must ask 'what are the qualities of an Est?' I'm sure that some sort of mega-hyper Est would be considered high-tier if she started off with amazingly high bases, was a pegasus, and had 100% growths in every category, but would such a unit still be an Est?

I don't think Nanna is ever reaching A staff unless you full on abuse

Its actually kind of funny

Lets say Nanna spammed Heal Staff ALLLLL the way from 1/0 into 20/20 using E Sword starting from like level 4

Nanna Staff Rank - 30

Level 4 is 20 Heal

Level 4 - 20/20 is 3500 which means 117 Staff use

Total Staff Rank: 147 which is C Staff

ROFL

Anyways, I don't see what the point of the prior discussion is. The point of the topic is questioning if an Est could be high-tiered. To answer it one must ask 'what are the qualities of an Est?' I'm sure that some sort of mega-hyper Est would be considered high-tier if she started off with amazingly high bases, was a pegasus, and had 100% growths in every category, but would such a unit still be an Est?

From most to least important, high potential, subpar at first, late jointime, low starting level.

The qualities of a high-tier unit are high base stats, availability, high move and unique skills. A "traditional" Est, by definition, cannot fulfil the former two, so they need either a ludicrously high move, or exclusive access to a turn-saving skill (Warp, Dance, bosskilling etc) in order to be high tier.

I think the fundamental issue here is that none of us have a same definition of the very philosophical word "good". Before you guys continue on, we need to first accurately define the term "good" and how it relates to Sara and her questionable(?) est status. Now, do we define "good" as in Arby's slogan "it's good mood food" (which is traditionally defined as "shitty food that is only serviceable if you can't find a Wendy's"), or do we define it as compared to "gouda cheese"?

This is an extremely vital semantic disccusion necessary for the beneficial contributions of future posts.

Mhmm, yeah...I see people use the word "good" when they actually mean "great" and it's irritating. At least in the Smash community.

what 17th century university do you attend? are you also well-versed in physiognomy?

not like it matters when i'm being taught by nostradamus himself.

i'm an astrophysics major at uc santa cruz

Edited by Phoenix Wright

Well it seems like you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about regarding asstreepsychics so I highly recommend dropping that major and going straight to the coal mines. We are all extremely embarrassed of you.

edit: lol i should proofread my posts

Edited by Constable Reggie

From most to least important, high potential, subpar at first, late jointime, low starting level.

The qualities of a high-tier unit are high base stats, availability, high move and unique skills. A "traditional" Est, by definition, cannot fulfil the former two, so they need either a ludicrously high move, or exclusive access to a turn-saving skill (Warp, Dance, bosskilling etc) in order to be high tier.

Still, it's not impossible. That's all that really matters here. If an Est is gifted a warp-staff no other unit can use that has infinite/near-infinite range, they can be high-tier. Likewise, an Est with some hyper-amazing growths and workable bases may as well be high tier. Since it is not impossible, that is the end of the discussion.

The better questions are 'would we WANT to see a high-tiered Est' and 'should we be tiering entirely on a LTC scale'? No, I'm not attacking the LTC model this time. I'm saying Est-types can only 'fail' easily on a LTC tier list. I know people here will claim that any other type of tier list is invalid/unworkable, but on another there is little reason an Est couldn't reach high-tier by at least ONE measure. So should we assume LTC is the ONLY tier-list that is valid?

There are Ranked tier lists (on GameFAQs some people even claim that SF is unable to hold ranked tier discussions), and a unit like Nino would be placed higher there.

Can we call TRS!Sun or Rishel Est characters? Those are high tier definitely, and join underlevelled. The Est status of each of these units is very easily fixed within one map, too, not slowing the player down at all (though you have to waste a dozen turns to get Rishel).

Outside of ranks (which are really freeform afaik), a non-LTC tier list is like an invitation to anarchy. However, the core of an LTC tier list (all those rules and philosophies behind it) can and, imo, should be challenged. I can think of a few issues that I personally have. Except nobody cares about these games enough anymore to keep the talk going, so it's pretty pointless. Those who want to improve their playing will do so without tier discussions' help.

Even in anarchy order can be found. I'm sure an Est would dominate a 20/20 stat tier list for example. LTC tier lists make it very difficult for an Est to dominate (which is part of my problem with them. They are heavily biased towards base stats, movement, and early joining), but even then it's not impossible, just improbable.