Sirius is overrated

Now Sirius is excellent in the earlygame because his bases are serviceable at that point and he has good weapon ranks but he's not the best there (beaten out by MU and Palla, even Caeda in some cases). He's nothing special in midgame because his bad personal bases bite him back in the ass and his exp gain is pretty slow, so he'll have issues in classes that aren't Swordmaster or Sniper. But even then he has issues. He's often too slow to double as a Sniper and he has durability issues as a Swordmaster due to his mediocre defense and HP so he can only face a limited amount of enemies. Don't even try using him as a Dracoknight, he'll fail to double and against faster enemies like Swordmasters and Wyverns, he even gets doubled.

Lategame, Sirius sucks. His luck is poor and he needs to have kills shoveled down his throat in order to keep up. His only real viable class is Swordmaster but he can still have issues. A --/10 Sirius (assuming 6 levels of Draco and 3 levels of Swordmaster/Sniper), has around 25 AS as a Swordmaster. While that's enough to double everything but the Snipers in Chapter 15, he runs into some shit in Chapter 16 on. For example, he fails to double Warriors unless he gets a speed proc/speedwing and he fails to double Heroes and Snipers, even with a speedwing. And enemies only continues to get faster so eventually he just has doubling problems altogether. And this is assuming he sticks to his averages. A speed-screwed Sirius sucks monkey balls and is just a liability in lategame maps. His final flaw is his luck. Even if Sirius does turn out viable lategame, his luck is so shitty that he can just randomly be critblicked by everything and die instantly. That's bullshit son.

It's ridiculous how hyped up he is. The Lunatic tier list has him in the same tier as Palla and Catria (in fact, it says Sirius>Catria lmao) when he's not even in their league. Caeda kicks his ass in general and you can even make an argument for Luke/Rody/Draug>Sirius.

tl;dr, Sirius is not that great and it seems like most of his hype comes from his admittedly good earlygame.

If Sirius shouldn't be used as a Draco, then why are we giving him 6 levels as one?

I agree that he's not as good as Caeda...although this doesn't strike me as terribly overrated as that's about 2 spots different on the tier list.

While I agree Sirius is overrated (wasnt I the first one to bring this up? but no one pays attention to anything i say ever so...), you're way stretching it by saying Rody and Draug of all people could be argued better than him.

Edited by Peekayell

If Sirius shouldn't be used as a Draco, then why are we giving him 6 levels as one?

I agree that he's not as good as Caeda...although this doesn't strike me as terribly overrated as that's about 2 spots different on the tier list.

Dracoknight is pretty much his best class earlygame though, that's why he's getting levels as one. In fact, his early access to Draco is a huge point in his favor and one his big selling points due to his A lances and decent bases in the early game.

Caeda is a tier below Palla/Catria. Tier differences, as far as I know, mark a notable gap in performance between units. It's like the difference between Mia and Ike in FE10 for example.

While I agree Sirius is overrated (wasnt I the first one to bring this up? but no one pays attention to anything i say ever so...), you're way stretching it by saying Rody and Draug of all people could be argued better than him.

Care to explain this? Luke/Rody/Draug are all very similar units so if one could be argued to be better than Sirius, you could make a case for the rest being above him as well.

Edited by Tyrant Sage

honestly sirius isn't overrated. dark sage does make the correct points as to why he's not so great, though.

the problem is that we tell SDS that sirius is overrated on the tier list and he just ignores us.

also -cynthia-, remember that lunatic has like 10 total usable units, so 2 spots on the tier list is a big difference.

Also Sirius is way better in the lower difficulties, where all of the benefits of being prepromoted outweigh units like Palla's good bases and EXP gains for for like, forever...well, maybe not forever, but a heck of a lot longer.

I hadn't really thought about it till now, but Sirius does indeed lag behind lategame, and I remember changing him to Swordmaster just so that he wouldn't keep getting doubled. It's definitely arguable that he's overrated.

Seems odd that the "official" tier list puts him ahead of Catria though; I'd assumed she was generally considered the best unit in FE12. I need to go reference that list again. . .

Care to explain this? Luke/Rody/Draug are all very similar units so if one could be argued to be better than Sirius, you could make a case for the rest being above him as well.

I think that, since Sirius comes as a prepromote quite early on, he's much more useful than any of the three on a Maniac or Lunatic run, despite having worse growth potential than them.

Seems odd that the "official" tier list puts him ahead of Catria though; I'd assumed she was generally considered the best unit in FE12. I need to go reference that list again. . .

I think the reasoning was that Catria early game lacked B rank lances which made her offense slightly lower than Sirius.

Let's see what my "mediocre" (oh brother) guide said:

"although his base stats are mediocre for a promoted unit. Unlike Aran, he'll grow into a decent permanent party member although his stats will lag behind your other units. Once his Dracoknight SPD starts to look a little lame, switch him to SM permanently."

"Starts out strong, but his mediocre bases catch up to him and he'll struggle mid-late game. Even as a SM his SPD will struggle to keep up with mid- late game enemies."

Edited by eCut
Removed flame-baiting part.

Posted · Hidden by Shuuda, May 13, 2013 - Off topic and rude
Hidden by Shuuda, May 13, 2013 - Off topic and rude

you should pat yourself on the back for convincing yourself that you're the only person that's right

Posted · Hidden by Shuuda, May 13, 2013 - Off topic and rude
Hidden by Shuuda, May 13, 2013 - Off topic and rude

convincing yourself that you're the only person that's right

[citation needed]

Your post is rude and falsely accuses me of something I do not think and have never said.

Posted · Hidden by eCut, May 13, 2013 - Does not contribute
Hidden by eCut, May 13, 2013 - Does not contribute

Good Lord, you weren't even mentioned in this topic, and yet you still start the same argument as if you had been unjustly insulted.

Posted (edited) · Hidden by eCut, May 13, 2013 - Off-topic
Hidden by eCut, May 13, 2013 - Off-topic

The word "mediocre" is a directly quoted insult and I will use it when I see fit.

This is not the first time I have been falsely accused of absurd or rude things I do not think and have never said.

Edited by mjemirzian

The word "mediocre" is a directly quoted insult and I will use it when I see fit.

This is not the first time I have been falsely accused of absurd or rude things I do not think and have never said.

Um, are you thinking of some other thread where your guide was called mediocre? I did a ctrl f for "mediocre" and the only thing being called mediocre in this thread is Sirius' hp and def.

Luke/Rody/Draug have the prologue to grow, and the first Master Seal shows up before Sirius does.

If you promote Luke/Rody/Draug earlier, their growth potential goes down the toilet. A 10/20 Luke is barely better than a level 20 Sirius, and it's mainly supports he has over Sirius. I guess I don't know if Luke can get significantly higher than level 10 in time for Sirius' appearance, but I'd think it's not possible without diverting a lot of attention away from others.

Let's see what my "mediocre" (oh brother) guide said:

"although his base stats are mediocre for a promoted unit. Unlike Aran, he'll grow into a decent permanent party member although his stats will lag behind your other units. Once his Dracoknight SPD starts to look a little lame, switch him to SM permanently."

"Starts out strong, but his mediocre bases catch up to him and he'll struggle mid-late game. Even as a SM his SPD will struggle to keep up with mid- late game enemies."

Um, your guide isn't mediocre, it was actually quite helpful for me, since I couldn't even get past prologue in Lunatic. Your guide actually helped me a lot in both Lunatic and Lunatic', because back then I wasn't as good of a player as I am now. Heck I used your Maniac mode PoR guide too. But you need to update the images on your FE12 guide (The GFAQs one).

*Cough* Pardon the dust behind me.

Erm, to really say Sirius is overrated is... well... slight hyperbole. I hint slight because it is true he's one of the few serviceable units in Lunatic Mode, and his Speed woes are only slightly overhyped (with Rainbow Potion, and even if you ignore it - there is always the shop Speedwings. Yes, it's an opportunity cost, but it might be better than dropping him halfway through the game).

Sirius definitely isn't better than Palla, though, and he's questionable against both Caeda and Catria. Catria really has a rocky start, and Caeda's Wing Spear utility only shines for certain chapters. Still, their Speed issues are much less significant and one of the two (or three, though Catria is probably best) can become a FalcoKnight and cheat the Speed cap a little bit.

Aside from those top dogs? Yeah, Sirius does honestly look better than the majority. Minerva joins later than Sirius does with roughly equivalent stats and growths, and I didn't even find her godawful. They both definitely need stat boosters to help them out, and their "prepromote" status doesn't really offer much. If you can somehow hybrid Sirius into a Sniper or Horseman, it's probably his better choices to dodge his icky Luck stat. Though he definitely isn't bad at Swordmaster - his Speed should be on the mark for the most part, and obviously in weapon ranks he isn't lacking in that class.

Um, your guide isn't mediocre, it was actually quite helpful for me, since I couldn't even get past prologue in Lunatic. Your guide actually helped me a lot in both Lunatic and Lunatic', because back then I wasn't as good of a player as I am now. Heck I used your Maniac mode PoR guide too. But you need to update the images on your FE12 guide (The GFAQs one).

Thanks, that's very kind of you.

• 3 months later...

My only real beef with Sirius is his low HP by end game. 28 as a promoted Paladin is already quite low when he starts, but it's still slightly above average compared to the units you have at that specific moment. I always keep him as Paladin though. Balanced stats so he won't get screwed too much, and enough movement to run away as a little bitch when shitmgets too hot under his feet.

• 2 weeks later...

My only real beef with Sirius is his low HP by end game. 28 as a promoted Paladin is already quite low when he starts, but it's still slightly above average compared to the units you have at that specific moment. I always keep him as Paladin though. Balanced stats so he won't get screwed too much, and enough movement to run away as a little bitch when shitmgets too hot under his feet.

Doesn't Dracoknight beat Paladin in like, everything but bow weakness and RES? I think the only loss would be his swank Sword rank.

DK loses in most growths, but has higher bases in some key stats. Sirius` Sword rank is mostly irrelevant as a Paladin (well at least until late-game). Still he is better off as a DK for SPD growth.

Activity is drawing unwanted attention to Sirius' "flaws" and is counter to my wishes for Sirius' placement in the new H3 Tier list. Could you guys stop posting here? Or can a mod delete this thread?

Edited by commonguard

Doesn't Dracoknight beat Paladin in like, everything but bow weakness and RES? I think the only loss would be his swank Sword rank.

Dracoknights sum of HP + Def is equal to Paladin's HP + Def

Either way, I don't think Sirius escapes his 2-3HKOed by everything moments

Dracoknights sum of HP + Def is equal to Paladin's HP + Def

Either way, I don't think Sirius escapes his 2-3HKOed by everything moments

But he can like, fly.