FE7 Auto Cursor Glitch Fix

Brendor

For those who of you who don't know, if the main character isn't fielded on a map and the autocursor option is on, the cursor will glitch out and try to go to some area off the map at the start of each turn. Even though it's not a HUGE problem, it messes with the aesthetics of the game. So being the kind-hearted gentleman that I am :D I made a simple routine the changes the autocursor's bit in memory to read as "OFF"

Here is the .zip file

And here's a new one for FE8

The instructions are in the zip but basically copy the data from the .dmp file into free data and use ASMC Offset+1 to call it. BUT!! since the asmc just changes the memory, the player could simply set the autocursor back to "on" in options and ruin everything so you should use it as a player turn event that repeats for a large number of turns (999999999 I think is safest)

My thanks go out to Nintenlord for his useful notes

Use the hack freely just give credit like you would with anything else and enjoy :D

Edited by Brendor the Brave

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh, this is nice. I'm curious to know if you know how to do similar things with other in-game options like text speed, terrain/unit windows, etc.?

I could very easily change other options. Give me some specifics and I'll make another zip

Or you could do it yourself by opening up a memory viewer and changing the option to whatever you want and look to see what offset was changed and to what value then in the .dmp change the value at offset 2 to the value and change the last 4 bits to the pointer to the new offset, just don't add 8

And yeah I know it's not a *real* fix but it gets the job done I suppose and I basically just started ASM so

Oh, awesome. In that case, could you possibly make separate hacks that do the following:

• sets text scroll to fast
  • sets terrain window to off
  • sets objective window to off
  • sets subtitle help to off
  • sets unit window to Burst
  • sets auto-end turns to off

Sorry, I know it's a big ask... But you're doing it for science hacking! I have a few ideas that could well be pulled off if this goes according to plan, though :P:

Oh, awesome. In that case, could you possibly make separate hacks that do the following:

• sets text scroll to fast
  • sets terrain window to off
  • sets objective window to off
  • sets subtitle help to off
  • sets unit window to Burst
  • sets auto-end turns to off
Sorry, I know it's a big ask... But you're doing it for science hacking! I have a few ideas that could well be pulled off if this goes according to plan, though :P:

Why the hell didn't you ask me for this crap when I was messing with it before a few months ago?

I have my event files for the critical collection set to change maps and make the animations to background with music off and such like that.

Why the hell didn't you ask me for this crap when I was messing with it before a few months ago?

I have my event files for the critical collection set to change maps and make the animations to background with music off and such like that.

Aw, man... maybe you can make them instead?

I feel like Arch had me disable one of the options in that particular menu in the past.

It'd be a lot cleaner and better to reprogram the game to properly handle the case of the main character not being present, by forcing it to auto select units starting with the unit in slot 0 if the main character is not found (and using the top left corner of the actual map if no characters are found for whatever reason...or better yet, the centre).

I'll do them but you have to realize that all this changes is the value in memory so everything can be manually changed back by the player and also this:

Or you could do it yourself by opening up a memory viewer and changing the option to whatever you want and look to see what offset was changed and to what value then in the .dmp change the value at offset 2 to the value and change the last 4 bits to the pointer to the new offset, just don't add 8

You could hack the ASM so that it does a check for the chapter and sets the value to a certain value regardless of what the player sets it as if it's that chapter

Or disable it or something similar, all of these theoretical hacks are relatively simple so if you're trying to get into ASM hacking they'd be good places to start (as opposed to say, implementing star shards or a status immunity item or something lol)

I assumed by them being on your bucket list they'd be made and be free to use

Are YOU implying that I can request ASM hacks from you?

Don't know if this would help, but FE8's skirmishes and dungeons have Lord-less autocursor, since the lord character isn't forced. The autocursor routine they use might help you, if you can find it.

(You probably all realize this already though!)

.........shit

I didn't even think of that...

It probably does something similar to what Blazer and Hextator were saying, the game checks for a chapter value and if a specific chapter is labelled, the autocursor goes on character in slot 0 which I guess I can look into but I made this mostly for FE7. FE8 was just an afterthought lol