Smash 4, Character Discussion Thread. #21 Metaknight

Jedi

He kinda does have ridiculous frame data for how disjointed he is. Most of it comes from his uair, possibly the best uair in the game. Frame 6, does 13%, disjoint, and autocancels. It literally has everything.

It beats out quite a number of dair's too, and can bait airdodges like no ones business.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It beats out quite a number of dair's too, and can bait airdodges like no ones business.

Absolutely. I'm good at reversals and mixups during juggling, but Cloud is a hard stretch since challenging that Uair really is a bad idea, and thus removing my reversals, forcing me to air-dodge or stall.

It's just too bad Ike doesn't feel and do the same in some cases, some reason.

I actually overall prefer Ike in the air to Cloud, Cloud just has that super amazing uair though haha. (Nair is pretty sweet too).

I have tons of fun using the guy though, his weight change when he's in limit mode though... I still need to adjust to my jumps not going quite as high, because I try to continue some uair chains, and I misjudge, because limit activated haha.

Also Climhazard is quite possibly one of my favorite out of shield options in the game.

Edited by Jedi

Wait, his weight change while in limit ? That... explain a few things.

^That literally happen only on FG. I need to check up on it and knock some skulls sometime...

Actually, starting your limit is a pretty good strategy in any mode, a lot of guy took the bait. Hard. Plus, it (obviously) boost your limit.

Doing a taunt however... yeah, you got to have a death wish to do it outside of FG.

for clarity, his acceleration increases, not his weight. the faster acceleration does help him survive longer against vertical knockback, at least. we all know the best part about limit is the faster short hop autocancel up air though.

Edited by Comet

for clarity, his acceleration increases, not his weight. the faster acceleration does help him survive longer against vertical knockback, at least. we all know the best part about limit is the faster short hop autocancel up air though.

My bad, I didn't mean to confuse people.

Do we have more to say on Cloud? -bump-

One thing.

I love finishing FG's with Finishing Touch (Limit Special Down), even though I know I could perfectly end the match right from the bat with normal attacks, the disrespect is just too beautiful.

And if I miss like a dumbo ? No problem, I redo my Limit all over again. No joke.

Fufu, just talking about it make me want to do it right now.

Home Depot

Actually Jedi it would be really cool if we could like, make a Discord on the side where we bitch about characters, or something. Real-time is likely to get a lot more discussion, if we can schedule it properly.

Edited by Euklyd

Home Depot

Actually Jedi it would be really cool if we could like, make a Discord on the side where we bitch about characters, or something. Real-time is likely to get a lot more discussion, if we can schedule it properly.

I dno if that would even be worth.

Requesting we not discuss Mayo or Korin for another few weeks at least, or if we do, then revisit them in no less than a month or so.

Corrin and Bayonetta are far too new to do a proper one of these on I think, so I'll stick with what we do know currently, sorry Folks for the delay as well, but like we waited for a month or so before Cloud even got considered so... Yeah no.

Metaknight got the most votes aside from the DLC's so we'll just do that

SCKM9qC.jpg

66AWK2a.png "Now, my power is without rival."

Origin: Kirby's Adventure

Year: 1993

Developer: Nintendo

Japanese VA: Atsushi Kisaichi

English VA: Eric Newsome

Current Official Tier Placement: 10th

Framedata

RSATD: While Metaknight has shown mastery of wind based attacks, and uses a tornado like move in Smash as well, the Mach Tornado looks more like Kirby's spin on the move, except without quite as much momentum and more based on dealing damage.

Metaknight, the infamous brawl top tier is back with a vengeance, a dominating aerial game, one of the best dash attacks in the game, he has one of the more dangerous combo games as well, his Up B while not giving him a super broken glide is now one of his best kill moves, his moves don't suffer from too much lag and he hits multiple times on quite a number of them, so he can rack up the damage fairly quickly if given the chance to, his grabs also have some good combo capabilities. His specials outside of Shuttle Loop are ok, but now nothing special unlike the 4 recovery options he had in the previous game, his Neutral game is also fairly lackluster, because he doesn't have too much reach and he lacks a projectile among other things.

I like playing as Metaknight the aerial offstage stuff is super fun, and just his whole moveset flows, plus he can get some nice cheesy KO's, I don't have the most experience with him at the high level stuff though.

Edited by Jedi

I've recently picked up this guy so I can say a few things about him

First, his strong points. His biggest is that he has kill confirms out the wazoo. The standard up air -> up b combo is of course a thing, but at higher %s, MK can dash attack into up b, ftilt1 into up b, or dtilt into down b. With a lot of characters in this game needing reads in order to secure stocks, it's really good to just be able to take a stock off of a frame 3 down tilt. MK can also build up damage really quickly with his combo game, though at about 60% his combo game gets way worse. MK can read airdodges and react with up b, up air or tornado to secure the stock, though tornado doesn't work on some characters with good nairs like Mario. MK's dash game is also incredible, with IMO the best dash attack in the game, which leads into many things including the up air to up b stuff, as well as a solid grab, though DI hinders his ability to follow up and get huge %. MK's dash speed is also really good so he can punish a lot of whiffs. MK also has no problems with recovering, with all but his neutral special being good for recovery and 5 extra jumps. So, a good MK player can mixup their recoveries and keep their opponents guessing. MK's air game is alright, though he usually plays defensively in the air. Dair is very hard to punish and approach against, and it's generally his best OOS option other than up b when fullhopped. His other aerials make for a decent wall, though Nair is my particular favorite for aggressive opponents and RosaLuma. His ground game is overall better with his aforementioned dash game and dtilt. Oh yeah, fsmash is surprisingly hard to punish and is a good option in certain MUs, especially since it kills way earlier than one would think.

Now, for his weaknesses. Unlike most of the top tiers, MK doesn't have very safe aerials on shield. The most safe aerial is dair but don't ever land with it. This really hinders his approach game against defensive opponents, though MK's dash game is so scary that just running and jumping around might cause the opponent to mess up. Also, MK's fastest ground move is a frame 3, which isn't terrible except when compared to frame 1-2 jabs, so he loses close quarters to some characters. MK also has no projectile of any kind, so a MK player really has to get scrappy, which could be a problem if the player plays the neutral wrong. MK doesn't really have a killthrow except for upthrow at very high %s, but getting grabbed by him still isn't great at high %s since he can toss you off and then start his good offstage game with bair, dair, and nair. He's also pretty light so he dies sorta early.

All in all, MK is a very strong bait & punish character that can kill early off fast moves and relies a lot on dashing. I'd say he's definitely top 10, though he may drop or rise from that position often due to seeing far more use in recent months.