Smash 4, Character Discussion Thread. #21 Metaknight

Jedi

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, why not?

Now while I feel his moveset is ok, I feel they could have taken alot more from Sonic Battle and Sonic 3 & Knuckles, possibly even Unleashed's/Rushes Boost thing, 2 different spindashes is really redundant design. As it stands now it seems like Sakurai decided to take the least inspired moves he could possibly come up with for a moveset.

His playstyle should be akin to The Fighters and Battle, and that was brutal always in your face, defensive only when he needed to be, glass cannon, not the bait and punish he is here, although some people argue thats just being true to how he fights bosses in his series, but I don't think he should be that entirely, I also feel he should have momentum based damage and knockback, I mean if Ryu, Megaman and Cloud can feel how they do in their games, why doesn't Sonic?

I saw some interesting spindash -> footstool -> spindash -> footstool combos (there were maybe aerials that led into the footstools idr) at Genesis 3 today

also saw Hyuga 3-0 6WX. 6WX wasn't even able to out-camp him it was great

Don't kill me for this, but I think sonic's moveset is a bit lazy, They are mostly spinning moves, but having played some really cool sonic games, they can do a bit more to give him an interesting moveset. I don't like the way he plays either.

Don't kill me for this, but I think sonic's moveset is a bit lazy

this is literally what half the posts have mentioned I think you're safe from murderous intent

from us, at least; you're probably on sakurai's hitlist now. expect a visit from nintendo hitmen dressed as diddy kong.

Like some of it feels lazy, but then other things its clearly from like Sonic The Fighters or Sonic Battle, I just wish there was a little more to it.

Although I remember back in Brawl, Sakurai said part of his design mentality with Sonic was the classic Genesis/Megadrive styled few buttons to do actions thing.

Edited by Jedi

I could be remembering incorrectly but I think he was put in brawl really late, so it's possible he was kind of rushed. Some of his moves got changed for smash 4, right? Not sure if they were refrences to anything though.

Edited by General Horace

I could be remembering incorrectly but I think he was put in brawl really late, so it's possible he was kind of rushed. Some of his moves got changed for smash 4, right? Not sure if they were refrences to anything though.

this is correct. he's probably the reason why mewtwo didn't make it in brawl, given that he had a functional model and a few sound effects.

That's the more likely scenario, but Sonic's page on the Brawl Dojo said that his moveset is simple like playing the original Sonic games.

That's the more likely scenario, but Sonic's page on the Brawl Dojo said that his moveset is simple like playing the original Sonic games.

how fitting that sakurai excels at spinning lame design choices almost as much as sonic excels at spinning in general

Like what exactly? Go ahead, I'm really interested in hearing what you consider "lame"

ROB, Mr. Game and Watch, Pit, Dark Pit, Palutena, Shulk, Lucas, Bayonetta

I find cutting Target Test to be a lame design choices because it's pretty much been a staple. Target Blast sucks hard.

Also no online Smash Run. Imagine how much fun that'd be!

Smash Tour takes the cake though. That mode is hot garbage with nothing redeeming it.

I find cutting Target Test to be a lame design choices because it's pretty much been a staple. Target Blast sucks hard.

Also no online Smash Run. Imagine how much fun that'd be!

Smash Tour takes the cake though. That mode is hot garbage with nothing redeeming it.

Someone pays attention

Yeah, those are pretty bad. I do agree there. I also agree that Two Spin Dashes is too much, but his moveset is otherwise cool. Idk, replace D-Special Spin Dash with the Stomp or something. The Boost would be tricky to implement. Fun in games like Generations but would end up going majorly out of control and cause a ton of Self-Destructs

Mr. Game and Watch

:cry:

but the rest of the list is pretty lame i gotta admit. i personally hated smash tour.

But yeah 2 spin dashes kinda feel redundant. makes me wonder what else they could've used for a 4th move, though.

But yeah 2 spin dashes kinda feel redundant. makes me wonder what else they could've used for a 4th move, though.

I always felt his Fire Shield dash would make an excellent side b.

ai1attkboss.jpg

I always felt his Fire Shield dash would make an excellent side b.

ai1attkboss.jpg

Oh snap, I forgot about the shields. I bet they weren't included because they're powerups and not inherent abilities of Sonic. But then again, Mario has fireballs...

Like what exactly? Go ahead, I'm really interested in hearing what you consider "lame"

he's spinning design choices that led to sonic having a lame moveset as "we wanted to make sonic simple, like in his games"

or time constraints, if you want to look at it that way, but it's still spinning a negative as a "positive design choice"

If anything, it's probably just a cover up rather than a design choice.

"spin" is the right term