Interest Check: Pokemon VGC Tournament

secondworld

Since around the second half of Jedi's Challenge Cup Tournament(congrats to Horace btw), I'd been throwing around the idea of hosting a VGC tournament sometime, but I figure why not do an interest check right now?

Pokemon Showdown will be used for this tourney. A Showdown account is the easiest account you'll ever make if you haven't already. So what's VGC? The Video Game Championship format is a fast-paced battle format used for the VGC World Championship Series. Some of you may remember or have heard about when this happened in the 2014 World Championship.

The VGC 2016 rules are:

Battle Type: Double Battle
Pokémon Limits: Teams may have no more than two of the following Pokémon: Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde.
Banned Pokémon: Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Diancie, Hoopa, and Volcanion
Banned Items: Soul Dew
Clauses: No same Pokémon, No same item

If you're like me and are most used single battles and are a bit weary of trying doubles, I highly recommend giving this a shot, it doesn't take long to adjust and it's a blast. If this format is intimidating at all, I recommend reading this: http://nuggetbridge.com/blogs/entry/1005-kasomans-vgc-16-teambuilding-guide-ver-10/ and/or practicing with one of these for starters, experimenting with your team as you get the hang of things.

This would be a double elimination tourney, best of 3 and best of 5 for finals. I'm looking for a minimum of 16 participants, more can be added before the tournament starts if more people want to join. I don't have any deadline for this, so it would start shortly after getting enough participants.

1. DavidSW

2. Riptor

3. Honey Bunny

4. TrueEm

5. Emeraldfox

6. commie scum

7. DodgeDusk

8. blah the Prussian

9. Lord Gaius

10. Lord Graham

11. Jedi

12. Quintessence

Edited by DavidSW

I'm not sure i'm joining yet, but i'll practice the setup at the very least, also I shared this with the Smash Discord as we do have a pokemon channel on it.

I'll join in Shin joins so I can prove i'm SUPERIOR again

I'm pretty awful at actually making teams and I don't know 75% of gen 5/6 but it'll be fiiiiiine

My availability is kinda spotty in early august but I have a few days here and there so I shouldn't hold things up too much,

Why is something like Phione banned and Kyogre is legal? Is it just an availability issue, because balancewise it makes no sense.

Edited by General Horace

I'm down for it. I've recently been re-sparked in my love for competitive. And, since it's on showdown, I don't have to worry about my awful breeding luck! (I seriously get 3-4 IVs EVERY TIME even with the correct set-up...)

Once Sun and Moon comes out, I'm taking competitive even more seriously than I currently have been. And I'm especially happy we don't need to breed to get good IVs.

I'll probably go make a new team or two right now. I had a very solid team from 2014's VGC, but it's a bit irrelevant now thanks to Primals and Mega Rayquay.

Some of you may remember or have heard about when this happened in the 2014 World Championship.

This is actually one of my favorite things that have come out of VGC. It shows how Mega Kangaskhan and Salamence don't completely rule over VGC. Well, now Primals do but, y'know. Back then.

Also, this is completely irrelevant, but is Masters 18 up or 16 up? Because... I got put into Masters... when I was 15...

Edited by TrueEm

I'll join in Shin joins so I can prove i'm SUPERIOR again

I'm pretty awful at actually making teams and I don't know 75% of gen 5/6 but it'll be fiiiiiine

My availability is kinda spotty in early august but I have a few days here and there so I shouldn't hold things up too much,

Why is something like Phione banned and Kyogre is legal? Is it just an availability issue, because balancewise it makes no sense.

If Shin joins I'll add you both.

Yeah it's an availability thing. Not everyone has event pokemon so they're not allowed.

Just one question:

How is this going to be set up? Group chat, PMs, etc.

Also, it isn't on your list, but I'd assume Volcanion isn't going to be legal.

Just one question:

How is this going to be set up? Group chat, PMs, etc.

Also, it isn't on your list, but I'd assume Volcanion isn't going to be legal.

In thread or you can PM whoever you're up against.

Ah yes, added to the list.

Kinda want to join but i had zero VGC experience

Quint join plz

You can make a team and practice

I'm really terrible at planning teams but I can focus on a specific theme for fun and lulz

Would like to join but my availability atm is poop.

Who knows how long it will take to get the last few slots filled, should I put you down anyway?