Some names you expect future Fire Emblem characters to have?

Wotter Batle

Probably Lancelot (the closer we got is Lance from FE6) and Merlin (the closer we got was Merlinus from FE6 and 7), since Fire Emblem loves to take names from King Arthur (we already have at least 3 different Arthurs/Arturs in FE, one in the second gen of FE4, one in FE8 and another in Fates), such as Guinivere, Black Knight, Bors, Amyr, Olwen, Daniel, Tristan, Hector, Eliwood, Eric, Percival, Igrene, probably Khadein, Lot, Lucius, Mark, Cornwall, Owain, Pelleas, Ragnell, Uther, etc... But for some reason not Lancelot and Merlin!

Also Nemue (again, because of King Arthur), they just use variations of her name (such as Ninian from FE7, which alludes to the variation "Niniane" of Nemue) and Niime from FE6 (who in japanese is Nemue, but they officially localized her name to Niime -just like it's been on the fan translations- when they added her to FEH).

I'd also say some names from norse mythology since FE also loves to take those but Fire Emblem Heroes used SO MANY (to the point of repeating) that I'm sure I'd have to look it up to find out one name that they haven't taken already

If you look up names from celtic mythology or The Song of Roland you'll find a bunch of names that Fire Emblem used too, and surely the ones they didn't use yet will be used on the future, but I'm not familiar enough with neither of those two to say I'm surprised that a specific name wasn't used.

Why are you surprised by Alfred though? Is it because it's a common name (specially for medieval inspired stuff) or did it come from one of the places that Fire Emblem always takes names from?

Edited by ARMADS!!!

34 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Why are you surprised by Alfred though? Is it because it's a common name (specially for medieval inspired stuff) or did it come from one of the places that Fire Emblem always takes names from?

Yeah it's like one of the most typical medieval names I can think of LOL. I'm not familiar with the specific places Fire Emblem takes its names from (except for Heroes since it's obvious), so I go based off vibes. Another example would be Isaac; I know there's Isaach but it's a place so it doesn't count.

2 minutes ago, Wotter Batle said:

Yeah it's like one of the most typical medieval names I can think of LOL. I'm not familiar with the specific places Fire Emblem takes its names from (except for Heroes since it's obvious), so I go based off vibes. Another example would be Isaac; I know there's Isaach but it's a place so it doesn't count.

Yeah, in this sense I'm surprised they didn't use Alfonse sooner too, until Heroes that is.

We've alreasy got a Matthew, a Mark, and a Luke, so... let's say John? Just a very common name that hasn't come up. We've got Jean, but he's not the same.

Likewise, while Maria has been there since the first game, we've never had a Mary. Well, unless you count Ward's sister, who I just learned about today.

1 minute ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

We've alreasy got a Matthew, a Mark, and a Luke, so... let's say John? Just a very common name that hasn't come up. We've got Jean, but he's not the same.

Likewise, while Maria has been there since the first game, we've never had a Mary. Well, unless you count Ward's sister, who I just learned about today.

Wait, there's not a single John in Fire Emblem?? 

Yeah, I'd count Ward's sister, anyone named counts.

3 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Ohh, ohh. I created that article. I only found she existed while creating my grand list of Fire Emblem characters.

Was going to say John as well. Maybe they haven't gone with it because it's considered too plain. I think even Japan John and Michael (whom we haven't had, only Michalis and Micaiah) are considered overly stereotypical white guy names. Another common one, at least where I'm from, is Conor. We did have a Conomor though. Inversely, we've had a Will, but not an actual William.

In the past, I was involved with a Role Play on this site and the second character I created was a mage called Constance. So I was amused to see Three Houses create a character of that name and class just a few years later (my first character was called Emmet, still waiting on one of them, though I did give him Fates' Adventurer class just months before Fates was a thing). I also made an off hand comment not long before Engage was announced that there should be a bunch of characters called Louis in the next game and then there actually was a character called Louis in the next title.

Edited by Jotari

Definitely Alexander/Alexandria. A lot of historic people called that, and places too. There are girl versions of it. Shortened versions like Alex/Alexia. Kind of a mouthful to say in Japanese. アレクサンデル. That kid isn't going to be able to match the six character limit in Pokemon.

Michael/Michelle is another one, though we do have Michalis. And Echoes snuck Mikhail onto one of its Duma bosses. They could give us a Miguel even.

We're also missing James/Jamie. Very biblical and regal name.

On 10/26/2023 at 12:15 PM, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Definitely Alexander/Alexandria. A lot of historic people called that, and places too. There are girl versions of it. Shortened versions like Alex/Alexia. Kind of a mouthful to say in Japanese. アレクサンデル. That kid isn't going to be able to match the six character limit in Pokemon.

Ooh, good ones. They could compromise a bit on the sound, with something like アレザンダー ("A-re-ZAN-daa"), and it would roll off the tongue a bit better. Or for a girl, アレサンドラ ("A-re-SAN-dora"). It's also crazy that Genealogy gave us an "Alec", and a "Lex", but there's no Alex yet!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2023 at 2:38 AM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Ooh, good ones. They could compromise a bit on the sound, with something like アレザンダー ("A-re-ZAN-daa"), and it would roll off the tongue a bit better. Or for a girl, アレサンドラ ("A-re-SAN-dora"). It's also crazy that Genealogy gave us an "Alec", and a "Lex", but there's no Alex yet!

I'm not familiar enough with japanese to know for sure what Im gonna say but isn't it possible that Alec somes from an attempt of translating Alex (just how some unofficial translations spelled Sigurd's name as Sigludo, or how Niime's name was a poor translation of Nemue (before it was made official, on her case))?, I think we still don't have Alec's name officially translated anywhere too.

3 hours ago, ARMADS!!! said:

I'm not familiar enough with japanese to know for sure what Im gonna say but isn't it possible that Alec somes from an attempt of translating Alex (just how some unofficial translations spelled Sigurd's name as Sigludo, or how Niime's name was a poor translation of Nemue (before it was made official, on her case))?, I think we still don't have Alec's name officially translated anywhere too.

All the playable characters in the series have had an official localization of their name as they all appear in Choose Your Legends. Though they have changed their minds about localized names a handful of times before. This is a rough list of all the characters without English names.

6 hours ago, ARMADS!!! said:

In addition to what Jotari said, Alec's name in katakana is アレク (A-re-ku). There's no r/l distinction in Japanese, so this could be either "Arec" or "Alec". But as the latter isn't a name, so far as I'm aware, they translate it to "Alec".

Of course, there are ambiguous cases. Lex, in the same game, is レックス (Re-kku-su). While this can obviously be read as "Lex", it can just as easily be read as "Rex". Since both are recognized names, we have to really on the official localization to work it out.

Speaking of which, these names, in comvination, give us a clear path to "Alex". If that's the name they wanted to get across, they'd almost certainly write it as アレクス (A-re-ku-su). Since that's not how they wrote the green cavalier's name, we can be confident knowing that they were going for "Alec", not "Alex".

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2023 at 8:24 AM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

We haven't had a Jonathan either, although I think those are more distinct etymologically than I would initially assume.

There's no David either. Or Nathaniel (or its variants).

On 10/26/2023 at 8:24 AM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Miriam is another variant of Mary which hasn't been included and was common in 1st Century Israel.

Continuing a theme, the following are names of Apostles not included in Fire Emblem:

• John
  • Andrew
  • Simon
  • Peter
  • Thaddeus
  • Bartholomew
  • Judas
  • James (previously mentioned)

The following are names of Minor Prophetic books not included in Fire Emblem:

• Hosea
  • Joel
  • Amos
  • Obadiah
  • Jonah
  • Micah
  • Nahum
  • Habakkuk
  • Zephaniah
  • Haggai
  • Malachi

Apparently the only name of a minor prophet used has been Zachariah, used as a pseudonym of Bruno (in the form Zacharias) in Fire Emblem Heroes.

No Daniel either. No Eli, Elias, Elijah, or Elisha.

Stepping away from Biblical figures, the name I actually wanted to say was Darius. Apparently that was used in Warriors (or at least a similar variant was), so I will have to go with Cyrus instead.

44 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

We haven't had a Jonathan either, although I think those are more distinct etymologically than I would initially assume.

There's no David either. Or Nathaniel (or its variants).

Miriam is another variant of Mary which hasn't been included and was common in 1st Century Israel.

Continuing a theme, the following are names of Apostles not included in Fire Emblem:

• John
  • Andrew
  • Simon
  • Peter
  • Thaddeus
  • Bartholomew
  • Judas
  • James (previously mentioned)

The following are names of Minor Prophetic books not included in Fire Emblem:

• Hosea
  • Joel
  • Amos
  • Obadiah
  • Jonah
  • Micah
  • Nahum
  • Habakkuk
  • Zephaniah
  • Haggai
  • Malachi

Apparently the only name of a minor prophet used has been Zachariah, used as a pseudonym of Bruno (in the form Zacharias) in Fire Emblem Heroes.

No Daniel either. No Eli, Elias, Elijah, or Elisha.

Stepping away from Biblical figures, the name I actually wanted to say was Darius. Apparently that was used in Warriors (or at least a similar variant was), so I will have to go with Cyrus instead.

We're also missing a "Solomon", but we do have a "Saul". And while "Paul" hasn't been a playable character, he has been a Bandit Boss.

Would be cool to see a lot of these Biblical names, especially if we get a game inspired by the Middle East, or the Mediterranean.

4 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

We're also missing a "Solomon", but we do have a "Saul". And while "Paul" hasn't been a playable character, he has been a Bandit Boss.

Saul and Solomon may sound similar but are not technically related. I was amused to find Paul was a bandit boss in the same game as Saul was a playable unit.

2 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

• Joel

I'd say Gra King Jiol was attempting to be this name, though I can imagine Joel is more authentically pronounced jo-el vs the likely pronunciation for Jiol being something like jole. But, googling Jiol the only thing that pops up is Fire Emblem, and even "Jiol name" gives a bunch of websites that just has it listed with no actual origin. So I think it's safe to say they have used this name, but they messed it up.

It's "Gee-ol", considering ジオル is how it's in Katakana. Contrasting ジョエル for Joel. I doubt they made a mistake, unless they thought Joel was pronounced in such way to use ジ and not ジョ. Or maybe Joel would be closer to ジョル.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

3 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Saul and Solomon may sound similar but are not technically related. I was amused to find Paul was a bandit boss in the same game as Saul was a playable unit.

Actually, Paul is a boss (alongside Jasmine) in FE7. Saul is playable in FE6, where the "Buff Bandit Bosses" are Maggie and Rose. ...Also, Scott is a pallette swap of those two, but has no thematic connection to them.

Didn't mean to imply that there was a formal relation between "Saul" and "Solomon". Aside from both of them being early Kings of Israel. And speaking of Jewish kings, let's add "Herod" onto the not-yet-used pile.

Kinda funny how many biblical names still haven't been used, when the first chapter of the first game gave us a "Cain" and "Abel".

21 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Actually, Paul is a boss (alongside Jasmine) in FE7. Saul is playable in FE6, where the "Buff Bandit Bosses" are Maggie and Rose. ...Also, Scott is a pallette swap of those two, but has no thematic connection to them.

Darn, and I even remembered Rose's game right. I am feeling quite silly after that!

21 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Kinda funny how many biblical names still haven't been used, when the first chapter of the first game gave us a "Cain" and "Abel".

To be fair, that was two out of like eight dudes.

While we have had a Joshua, we have not had a Moses or Caleb either.

53 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

While we have had a Joshua, we have not had a Moses or Caleb either.

I suddenly got reminded there was a talk somewhere about whether or not Morzas's Japanese name was Moses. Due to the Katakana. Apparently not? Since he is モーゼス while Moses is apparently just モーゼ.

22 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Don't forget Guerrero too. Yeah, they used that portrait four times. Binding Blade, while not as obvious about it as the SNES and NES games, was still in the era of heavy portrait reuse. So there was never any real intention behind the bandit twins original design. It was the fact that the sequel brought them back and retained it that codified it.

• 7 months later...
Posted (edited)

Females names that I see in Fire Emblem: 

Tiffany - its actually a medieval name 

Amanda - love 

Joyce - means joy

Evelyn - medieval as well and nice sounding 

Jennifer - a version of Guinivere 

Alicia - I know there's one Alice but they like variations and its a beautiful name. Alice will never be playable but there CNA be an Alicia

Lorelei - the fairy 

Molly - im actually surprised theres not this one. And other variations of Mary. 

Melissa - means honey as well. 

Violet - another flower name 

Allegra - Happiness

Victoria - Victory

Gloria - Same 

Megan - Mega, also meaning pearl 

Bianca - white 

Elizabeth - a common name used by royalty 

Alexandra - defender of humanity. I can see her being a Knight 

Martha - would be funny If she is also a descendant of Marth

Melody - Fits a dancer or Singer

Giselle - name for a Knight or maid?

Gabriella - or Gabrielle 

Florence - Theres Flora, Fiora so now It lacks a Florence to close the trio

Fernanda - After Fernand and Ferdinand there needs a posh Fernanda. 

Also: Jasmine, Rose, Willow, Pamela and Mary that were already wasted in minor characters, but could be used in playable ones, since they arent afraid repeating names sometimes. Theres a lot more but those are the ones i'm surprised arent in the games yet. Later I list the males 

Edited by genesis

Male names that fits playable character in Fire Emblem : 

Albert

Avery 

Philip - a good name for a Knight 

Pierre - and other variations like Peter (already stated), Pedro, Pietro 

Nicolas - and its female variations Nicole 

Jacques 

Zachary / Zack 

Noel - or its female variations Noelle 

Diego 

Liam 

Sheridan 

Michael / Mike - I know theres Mikhail and a random villain with this name. But no playable Mike? Come on...

Christian - and its variations Christopher or the female versions Christina, Kristen, Christa

Alexander - or Alexandre. I know theres a Xander and Alec, but theres a Fred and Frederick for example 

Rodrigo - after Rodrigue and Roderick why not a mercenary named Rodrigo after El Cid

Adam 

Harper 

Carton 

Jason

Jack / Jackson 

Madison 

Cam / Cameron 

I think they like to give most of those names to Knights, Villagers or Mercenaries, since they are putting more uncommon / fantasy names for the protagonists. Theres a lot more, sure.