Making the WORST possible FE Game

1 hour ago, Shaky Jones said:

Treasures like stat boosters throughout the game are also randomly generated, so you might never get speedwings.

I've played enough rogue-likes that I actually support this.

Movement range is not shown. Not for enemies, not for allies. And of course, there is no data in the game indicating terrain costs (I think that's the usual for FE actually, which is weird because Advance Wars was good at doing that).

• The only visible stats are HP, Str, Skl and so on. Derivative stats like Atk or Hit are hidden, as are weapon stats. Even in combat, damage and hit/crit chances are only represented by bars.
  • There is no "Trade" command. Characters can only give items to others - so if two characters have a full inventory they can't swap items without help of a third.
  • The game is another Gaiden remake, once again without changing any of the original maps. To expand Celica's role, her part in chapter 3 is expanded, adding more maps in a similar design style. She also gets a second brother that can bail her out of danger when needed.
  • To improve immersion, the original Gaiden maps are embedded in one huge Valentia map, on which every individual unit has to moved from one battle to the next. The terrain between battle sites is the same as on the adjacent battle sites (so a lot of forest tiles on Alm's side, and a lot of... other terrain on Celica's).
  • Of course there's still something to make progress on during these travel periods: Supports, which all grow as fast as they generally do in BinBla. This is where all characterisation for non-Lords takes place.
  • To make the game more accessible, we add an unskippable tutorial, spanning 10+ maps. For this, we introduce a new character, who will also be part of the main story, but won't really have a place in it.
  • Gaiden lacks a proper Jeigan-like character, with Meißen joining too late to fill such a role. That has to be changed - but because nobody likes old men, the new OPaladin will be fairly young and appropriately strong. Let's call him Htes.
  • Beautiful animations are important for the proper gaming experience, so "turning off" animations will play little map animations instead. They take roughly as much time as the regular ones.

Massive maps a la FE4, no Rescue command or Warp staff, and seize for every objective (of which there are multiple per level). The objectives aren't conveniently positioned one after another, they're scattered around the map and the order in which you need to seize them is randomized. There are a ton of enemies with Freeze staves, they all have infinite durability, and they're programmed to prioritize your lord. Said lord is an armor with bad stats that doesn't promote until right before the end of the game.

There's also a Speed ranking that determines whether or not you get the good ending.

In order to make an FE game with the worst possible gameplay, I'm going to take some gameplay aspects of all the FE games that I have played, turn them up to 11, tweak them to make them extremely unfair, and chuck them all into one game. Just to be clear, none of the games listed here have issues anywhere near this bad in reality, I have exaggerated them to make them even worse and for comedy. I also don't hate any of the games listed below- I actually really like most of them.

1. From FE4(GotHW): Make all of the maps extremely large and make them have extremely large swathes of empty terrain(Like 90% of the map) that have you to walk your units through to get to the objective. To turn it up to 11, the maps will have extremely rough terrain that slow down Cavalry to the same speed as Infantry units and Fliers will be zoned out by Ballista constantly.

2. From FE5(Thracia 776): Remove the ability to adjust starting positions of units from the preparations menu and make every map a multi-front one that requires specific units to be on specific fronts of the map to beat the map reliably(This is fairly benign in FE5, but it has the potential to be really unfair in conjunction with the other gameplay aspects of the theoretical worst FE game). In order to manipulate starting positions, you would instead have to painstakingly keep track of deployment order and which unit is in what unit slot.

I'm also going to throw in FE5's version of Fog Of War here and put it in every map for obvious reasons.

3. From FE6: Give all weapons in the game very poor hit rates, causing most units to have below 50% disp. hit on most enemies and much lower true hit due to the 2RN system.

4. From FE7: Have an extremely long and wordy tutorial that cannot be skipped even on repeat playthroughs and doesn't even teach you about various key mechanics like the use of the Rescue command. (even worse version of Lyn mode)

5. From FE8: Every map has a very large of number of Mogalls. (based on Phantom Ship) This doesn't sound that bad, but it will be compounded further by some of the additions from the other games such as making every tile a swamp tile and adding Fog of War to every map.

6. From FE9: Extremely long and un-skippable animations. (every combat will take ~1 minute, meaning a hectic enemy phase could literally take hours to get through).

7. From FE11: Inflate enemy stats to an extreme extent and make it so that your only units with good combat are constantly at risk of dying to a low% crits. Also have no checkpoints or rewind mechanic to make resets more punishing. (A much more extreme version of Hard 5)

8. From FE13(Awakening): Give all enemy units two random and highly impactful skills(Like Vantage+, Luna+, Aegis+ etc.) (Based on Lunatic+)

9. From FE14 Conquest: Give all enemy units highly impactful skills and make them hidden from the player. This is further compounded by the addition from FE13. (I think enemy skills are perfectly fine in base CQ, but this tweak makes them very unfair)

10. From FE15(SOV): Make every tile a swamp tile that reduces all ground units movement to 1. In addition, give all Mogalls the ability to replicate themselves on any turn they aren't in combat. This will massively compound the addition from FE8.

11. From FE16(FE3H): Add extremely strong ambush reinforcements that can one-round KO most of your units, have extremely long threat ranges(long range tomes, Bow Knights with 4 range etc.) and give all of them Pass.