How bad of an idea was tripping?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. How bad of an idea is tripping

• Bad
    • Really bad
    • One of the worst ideas ever
    • The worst idea ever
    • I'm a loser and don't think its a bad addition

The worst Idea ever. I hate playing SSBB then tripping just before attacking. What's worse is that I trip whilst trying to do a side move. It's freaking annoying. Especially when I play as Marth, using the dancing blade is a pain.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes tourneyfags cry.

It was a wonderful idea. I award Sakurai a phantom jerk-off for it.

I haven't been in an SSBB tourny and I don't like it. It's just as annoying against CPU's as it is against other players.

Perhaps more annoying, as the SSE was that much harder with me tripping everytime I wanted to attack.

I haven't been in an SSBB tourny and I don't like it. It's just as annoying against CPU's as it is against other players.

Perhaps more annoying, as the SSE was that much harder with me tripping everytime I wanted to attack.

He's just trying to troll tourney goers. Everyone hates tripping.

Edited by Aozaki Touko

I'm 100% serious. I'm willing and eager to endure a mechanic that upsets and alienates tourneyfags.

It upsets and alienates me, and I've been to as many tourneys as my unborn child.

I'm 100% serious. I'm willing and eager to endure a mechanic that upsets and alienates tourneyfags.

kk troll. Yet what about every other casual player who also gets upset and alienated from the same thing?

kk troll. Yet what about every other casual player who also gets upset and alienated from the same thing?

I care not from whence the butthurt flows, so long as it flows. Call it an added bonus.

Edited by Urist McMiner

It upsets and alienates me, and I've been to as many tourneys as my unborn child.

I invite you to kindly cry some more.

Never really cared about tripping.

People who want to use the game for that purpose and aren't stupid about it generally just use a homebrew hack to get it out of the game, so

Edited by Mac

I hate tripping. They should only have done it when there's a banana.

True story.

I run towards my friend who's using Ike while I used Lucario. I slip in front of him jut as he was charging his F-smash. Owned.

It's hilarious! i love tripping, especially when someone gets KOed because of it! either them or me, it really doesn't make a difference!

:D

• 4 weeks later...

By complete and utter chance, Sakurai made a very deep game excellent for both casual and competitive play, and while every forum everywhere (regardless of the game in question) seems to think that "tourneyfags" generally deem themselves superior to casuals and want to enforce their own ruleset to everyone, the opposite is way more often true. As you can see.

I was no competitive Smash player myself (I just preferred no items etc), and while Sakurai has the full right to do what he wants with his series, I say he's shot himself in the foot by shafting a small but very devoted* playerbase (by more than just the tripping, really). I don't understand why people genuinely like tripping, or critical hits in Team Fortress 2, but I'm fine with them as long as they can be turned off for those that like playing the game the way they want.

As for being on-topic, no, I don't like being randomly screwed or blessed or stupidly interrupted by a factor I have in no way contributed to, seeing as I'm not so bent on winning that I'm willing to do it through such a mechanic. Remember, competitive players don't dislike tripping because they might lose. It's disliked because it might keep the best man from winning in an unneededly, controllable way (unlike wind in Golf). When losing repeatedly, a 'tourneyfag' will work on his skill. Not hope for a hammer next time. The occasional elitist prick does not have a competitive mindset.

As for the argument of taking party games too seriously, well, there's no game quite like Smash.

*If you hadn't noticed, Melee's metagame has been running strong throughout its seven years and showed no sign of stagnating. Heck, now people are making a hack for Brawl to optimise it for competitive play whilst preserving its well-received additions. No software developer kit or anything, just a third party hack tool bricked by each Wii update.

Also, first post in how long? Half a year? xP

Edited by Thingy Person

If you're talking about Brawl+ or Balanced Brawl, the problem is that there is almost no chance that it'll really get off the ground. Just the tripping hack is much easier to handle, and even then it has problems with distribution, mostly people being lazy asses and not getting it for every single Wii used for the game out there.

Edited by Rehab

• 2 weeks later...

Whether it was a party game or a fighting game, tripping was a horrible addition. It not only makes the character who are not dumb look clumsy for no good reason, but also it can cost you a match (I learned this the hard way).

How is Mario Kart Wii's AI cheating?

Just read on...

Ah, now I see exactly what you mean. Ironically, though, the AI in MKWii is dumb. What you're saying is obviously true if there are less than 12 players. So in that case, you're right. Conversely, you could be last almost the whole race and at the final moments of the race you could use the item you got to boost your way to first place in a giffy. But I see exactly what you mean.

But like I mentioned, the AI will also fall for anything. You get a red shell, and the racer in front of you won't give a damn about protecting itself. Or if a racer behind you got a red shell, it could care less that you have three bananas and 'll still throw. And I'm sure you all know about the blooper and how it's supposed to be useless.

So technically, MKWii offers no challenge aside from enduring all the blue shells if you're in first place the whole time.

Edit: Actually, yeah. I hate blue shells and the AI in this game more than ever...

Edited by 21_21

I think it's pretty bad. The concept of tripping is fine, but the application is where it fails in my eyes. Tripping while running on a slippery surface or dashing back and forth without rest, yes. I can see some of the more cumbersome characters falling over. Other than that? It's really bad.