Sothe + Adept = ^_^

Alright, after reading one of Lyle's topcis about how great Sothe is with Adept, I tried it.

Well he rarely activated in the first two chapters, so I figured Lyle's was a fuck up with the RNG.

Then come the dragon chapter...he was OHKOing more then Volke!

He'd activate Adept AND Bane on the first attack, 1 Dead Dragon, No Damage to him.

My god, If I knew he would be this pimp with that skill I'd have given it to him back in PoR!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not even this gimmick makes Sothe worth fielding, really. It just means that, to properly OHKO an enemy, he needs to trigger both Adept and Bane, or trigger Bane on the first hit and absolutely not on the second.

Sothe goes from almost unbearably bad unit to decent whisper when he gets adept. But if you want to see something cool, get Volke to lvl. 20 and give him adept and vantage. He will kill everything regardless of its health. You'll be doing about 5 dmg. twice to a general with 45 health, and you'll kill him somehow. It's even better with Baselard or a knife with a high crit. rate.

Not even this gimmick makes Sothe worth fielding, really. It just means that, to properly OHKO an enemy, he needs to trigger both Adept and Bane, or trigger Bane on the first hit and absolutely not on the second.

IIRC Bane doesn't activate if a standard attack will KO the enemy.

I still hate em. It annoys me that he refuses to be good without it.

So I bench him for Gareth.

Ouch...

Anyway, Sothe works well with dragonfoe and Peshkatz. Plus, with his +15 avoid support with Micaiah, he wont be getting hit unless you get RNG screwed

Alright, after reading one of Lyle's topcis about how great Sothe is with Adept, I tried it.

Anyone who can double consistently makes good use of adept.

Then come the dragon chapter...he was OHKOing more then Volke!

1RKOing actually. And Volke w/o adept probably still beats Sothe with it since he not only has higher caps, he also has at least 25 more crit than he does because of his nice innate skill set. Stillness also helps him be less of a prime target than Sothe, and no one really wants a skill that takes up 25 skill capacity anyway, but I digress.

He'd activate Adept AND Bane on the first attack, 1 Dead Dragon, No Damage to him.

Big whoop, having that happen is an 8% chance assuming he has capped stats and neutral biorhythm.

My god, If I knew he would be this pimp with that skill I'd have given it to him back in PoR!

That would be pretty stupid since Sothe is a terrible combat unit in POR and is hindered by tier 1 caps anyway if you decided to baby him.

I see no reason to bench anyone in endgame, since their all forced to come, why not use them?

Well you get Nasir and Gareth midway.

Gareth is a more doubtful case, but Nasir's +5 magic and speed boost is quite useful.

Still I'd bench an untrained Sanaki and Sothe for these two.

I see no reason to bench anyone in endgame, since their all forced to come, why not use them?

Two I can think of.

1) Deploying bad units slows you down. Sothe, Sanaki and an untrained Kurth easily fit into this category.

2) You can't deploy everyone. For instance, 4-E-5 has 19 units available and only 17 can be deployed, so 2 people are biting the dust even if you like max deployment.

Sothe's endgame ability isn't that bad. He still has Baselard and Bane for some potential high damage. He dodges and doubles everything. He may not be slaying any generals, but he can usually one-round Sages and Snipers and the like, and he can also one-round spirits.

I usually end up benching Sothe, Sanaki, Ena, Kurth and Gareth in endgame. I really hate how they're forced into endgame. There are a lot more characters on my team that would love their spot and would probably do a better job. Ike and Micaiah, I can understand since it's game over if either of them dies. The others, their parts in the story could've easily been excluded if they're not chosen for endgame.

Sothe's endgame ability isn't that bad. He still has Baselard and Bane for some potential high damage. He dodges and doubles everything. He may not be slaying any generals, but he can usually one-round Sages and Snipers and the like, and he can also one-round spirits.

Yay? Bane is the worst mastery in the game, it has an activation of skill/2% while most characters have skill% or speed% as their activation, or in the case of paladins, self-healing. But d'oh, Sothe landing bane means he doesn't kill the enemy if he activates it on the last hit, meaning it can actually hinder his ability to kill enemies more than it helps.

Baselard doesn't help him either. Having a 28 str cap means you need like a 22-26 Mt weapon to kill anything competently, but the baselard is only giving him 18 if my memory serves me correctly. Sure, it gives him 20 crit (or was it 15?) but that's hardly helping him considering how high enemy luck is in this game.

Sages and snipers are pretty weak, even Mist w/ alondite can probably kill them. Same deal for spirits pretty much, the only thing that makes them hard to kill is having enough spd to double, but that's heavily mitigated by brave weapons. Also, I'm pretty sure Sothe cannot ORKO spirits on def tiles while some other classes either can or have ridiculous proc%ages (lol Naesala with adept/tear has ~80ish to >94% chance of killing the enemy if he can't ORKO them).