Sothe + Adept = ^_^

I didn't say Sothe was WTFPWNAGE in Endgame, just that he's passable. Plus, I won't believe Bane can activate if the enemy would have been killed anyway until I see a video of it, because I have never seen it happen.

Also, Parity helps him one-round Spirits even if they're on a defense tile.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Sothe is passable with those flaws, then almost anyone is. Hell, even Lyre or Nealuchi might be comparable to Sothe in 4-E since their rend/tear activation alone is ~51-64% in 2 hits, and other units not known for having a good endgame like Kieran and Brom could easily beat him because of WT control (wyrmslayer and hammer access ftw).

Also, Parity helps him one-round Spirits even if they're on a defense tile.

There's only 2 available, and parity is better used on someone trying to take down Lehran because he is on a +15 def tile and can activate corona.

Edited by Vykan12

If Sothe is passable with those flaws, then almost anyone is. Hell, even Lyre or Nealuchi might be comparable to Sothe in 4-E since their rend/tear activation alone is ~51-64% in 2 hits, and other units not known for having a good endgame like Kieran and Brom could easily beat him because of WT control (wyrmslayer and hammer access ftw).

Kieran and Brom are at least passable because they can at least double slow enemies and are fairly good elsewhere. Not good, but not terrible, just like Sothe. As for Lyre or Nealuchi, I don't know about that, especially if they haven't gotten S strike.

There's only 2 available, and parity is better used on someone trying to take down Lehran because he is on a +15 def tile and can activate corona.

I imagine anyone fighting Lehran will have equipped Nihil and not have room for Parity, since Nihil still gets support bonuses.

Kieran and Brom are at least passable because they can at least double slow enemies and are fairly good elsewhere. Not good, but not terrible, just like Sothe. As for Lyre or Nealuchi, I don't know about that, especially if they haven't gotten S strike.

I'd imagine the distribution of good, average, and bad endgame units to be along the lines of 1/3 of all available units in each category. So if Sothe falls into the average echelon, then who can be considered bad? Relatively speaking, "passable" can still imply bad.

I see no reason to bench anyone in endgame, since their all forced to come, why not use them?

EXACTLY!!!! I use Sanaki all the time because of that

And everyone who thinks Sothe sucks in endgame is stupid... Yeah he can't do as much damage as everyone else, but he can help get rid of everything else in your way (i.e. the bishops in part 1, archers and magic users in part 2, part 3 he's only good with dragonfoe, but does anyone else really need it? Parts 4 and 5 he can take out the magic tornado dohickies) Cmon guys, not EVERYONE is being used to attack the final boss, so you can just use him for the extra crap that annoys you. Plus, he has lots of speed, so he can double more things than other units can

My point is, calling him passable disregards that Sothe has one of the worst endgame performances out of any unit in the entire game. The only units who are arguably worse are Mist, Saints, low availability mages (lol Pelleas and Tormod) and a couple other losers.

Yes, there’s no denying Sothe is usable in 4-E, but you can make anyone usable with the right strategies, so it means little.

I imagine anyone fighting Lehran will have equipped Nihil and not have room for Parity, since Nihil still gets support bonuses.

Negating a +15 def tile means more damage to Lehran than with Nihil, since +15 att > +2-3 from supports and maybe hit bonuses.

Yeah he can't do as much damage as everyone else, but he can help get rid of everything else in your way

But others can do it much better than him. Say I use Tanith. She can reach the mage enemies on the left or side of 4-E-1 before anyone else and kill them all on enemy phase with a javelin, then next turn she can take out a bolting d00d with a forged silver lance and canto over to where the mean general enemies are. And all this is from a unit who’s not even considered that good. Or I’ll take Mordecai. If he has 28 spd, he can ORKO almost any general unquestionably and laughs at physical attackers. Again, maybe only a mid tier character and he’s outperforming Sothe everywhere in 4-E except maybe 4-E-4.

part 3 he's only good with dragonfoe, but does anyone else really need it?

Killing enemies w/o dragonfoe > needing it to kill competently. Though what’s worse is dragons are hard as **** to kill without mastery activations since red ones have 70ish hp and 30ish def, which makes dragonfoe a skill that’s heavily competed for.

Parts 4 and 5 he can take out the magic tornado dohickies) Cmon guys, not EVERYONE is being used to attack the final boss, so you can just use him for the extra crap that annoys you. Plus, he has lots of speed, so he can double more things than other units can

Deploying Sothe probably means not deploying a dragon, which is really bad, especially if you have a good deal of units with canto or 1-2 range since then you can spam tide bonuses for longer.

Edited by Vykan12

Uhm, am I the only one who trains Sanaki and Kurth...

I use Kurth, and Sanaki isn't too bad realistically. Sure she has horrid durabilty, so does Micaiah, and I don't see anyone complaining about her.

eh, there's really no point at all in complaining, you are forced to deploy Micaiah in every single map, you are not going to do the same w/ Sanaki, plus Micaiah has staves which are worth something over her combat skills

True. But Sanaki has magic triangle control, which is w1n.

EDIT: ANIMA triangle, sorry. She also has light magic, which isn't that great, but I think that anima magic triangle=staves.

Edited by Reinfleche

I think that anima magic triangle=staves.
after F-2 she will have only one tome blessed (perhaps Cymbeline or maybe maybe Meteor, probably not Rexflame due to fail strength) and most likely she will be using only that weapon, so the whole anima triangle gimmick would be gone, and if it wouldn't she could use it only against spirits that every unit you brought to endgame should oneround w/o the need of Sanaki.

but the real point is that with Sanaki you are talking of a vacant spot, if Micaiah were the most broken powerhouse of the lesser piece of crap the game had to offer it couldn't be helped since you are forced to deploy here, plus her high magic is making her a pretty decent healer instead of a meh fighting unit, since you cannot real use another character over Micaiah.

Edited by SAMUS TUTA ZERO D'ACCIAIO

I don't use Sanaki. She's too slow to ORKO anything except maybe generals and dragons. I don't use Kurthnaga either cause Night Tide isn't that good and he has a hard time doubling anything except dragons. They're both way better than Ena though. Seriously, her only use is for Blood Tide which only helps in specific situations. Her damage output is crap and she's slow. She can't kill anything unless she activates Ire but its a waste of bexp to get her to that point. She's definitely one of the worst endgame characters and unfortunately she is forced with no good reason.

Sanaki is doubled by Generals depending on the weight of the tome she wields and has no staves. All she's good for is heavy hitting in the back, but that's not that good in part 4 when you should have uber units anyway. Micaiah >>>> Sanaki.

True. But Sanaki has magic triangle control, which is w1n.

EDIT: ANIMA triangle, sorry. She also has light magic, which isn't that great, but I think that anima magic triangle=staves.

Anima magic domination is barely comparable to the ability to heal. In this game, the magic triangle doesn't seem too important because most are accurate enough to hit and 1 atk/def is almost nothing. Healing is much better and Micaiah most likely will have neutral matchups with her Light tome till endgame. Hell, I don't think she ever encounters a Dark magic enemy user.

Sanaki is doubled by Generals depending on the weight of the tome she wields and has no staves.

Then don't give her heavy tomes? I'm pretty sure this is only at base level and you have 2 chapters to field her in.

Lack of staves sucks; Sanaki isn't good at combat and can't do anything else.

Then don't give her heavy tomes? I'm pretty sure this is only at base level and you have 2 chapters to field her in.

Lack of staves sucks; Sanaki isn't good at combat and can't do anything else.

Yes, but it's still pathetic considering your other Archsages can weild them without AS loss. Hell, Sanaki even loses some AS speed from her own PRF tome.

So? You have to bring her into the final chapter and 4-P and 4-3 (where she has more movement than your non-fliers and physical units), and I don't believe she takes away slots from the final chapter until Part IV.

It's what I always do anyway.

Edited by Nathan Graves

Sanaki's not worth training imo. All the archsages can do her job better and they got staves. If Sanaki could use staves, she'd be worth using. She does do a lot of damage in one hit. Too bad there aren't any tomes that let you double attack like brave weapons. Sanaki would rock with that.