You know what? Zelda II: Adventure of Link is a Great Game

General Spoon

Now this is a topic I can support.

I first played Zelda II at a friend's house when I was seven or eight. I couldn't complete it at the time without using my Game Genie.

The only real difference between my opinion then and now (like, in the last two months) is that I haven't entirely given up on it.

My biggest appreciations for the game are the music and the art direction. Still not so much the gameplay, but I want to like the game enough that I'll keep periodically trying anyway.

Edited by Duff Ostrich

My biggest appreciations for the game are the music and the art direction. Still not so much the gameplay, but I want to like the game enough that I'll keep periodically trying anyway.
Zelda II is one of the most well designed games difficulty wise. You probably just aren't good at it.

I know this will sound lame, but grinding is a huge help as well for the first half of the game. The reason I encourage grinding in Zelda II is because it's impossible to break Zelda II through leveling up.

It also helps to learn the various tricks in getting through the game, such as jump slashing Iron Knuckles or using fairy to get through doors, as well as being willing to use the underthrust technique. Again, these are very helpful things, but you will not break the game, I promise this. The game is pretty much designed to be impossible to break at endgame and still has good challenge at the end.

The Zelda II temple music is frigging amazing. Honestly, I do like the smash bros remix, but the original grainy 8-bit music is superior.

I had it on my NES when I was a little kiddy but I never actually beat it then. I had to go back as an adult and get an emulator. It wasn't too bad until that last temple. Those phoenix dudes are sadistic.

tupp-r.gif

These guys are so fucking scary, they make me wet my pants worse than a Metroid from the NES version (SCARY). I killed the first one I came across and then ran like hell from the others.

I sucked royally at games as a little kid. I never beat the original metroid, any of the mario bros games, megaman II, zelda I or zelda II, that stupid racing game we had, or kidicarus. I'm pretty sure there are some other NES games I owned and never beat but those are all I can think of. It was only when I got the SNES that I started getting better.

I think the only NES game I ever beat was Kirby's Adventure. Kirby games are so frigging easy and it still took me like 5 tries to beat the final boss. The True Arena in the DS port of superstar w/out powers is probably easier than most mario games.

Edited by SeverIan

These guys are so fucking scary, they make me wet my pants worse than a Metroid from the NES version (SCARY). I killed the first one I came across and then ran like hell from the others.
Upper thrust owns these guys. The most useful purpose for the upper thrust is to fight these.

The Zelda II temple music is frigging amazing. Honestly, I do like the smash bros remix, but the original grainy 8-bit music is superior.

I had it on my NES when I was a little kiddy but I never actually beat it then. I had to go back as an adult and get an emulator. It wasn't too bad until that last temple. Those phoenix dudes are sadistic.

tupp-r.gif

I sucked royally at games as a little kid. I never beat the original metroid, any of the mario bros games, megaman II, zelda I or zelda II, that stupid racing game we had, or kidicarus. I'm pretty sure there are some other NES games I owned and never beat but those are all I can think of. It was only when I got the SNES that I started getting better.

I think the only NES game I ever beat was Kirby's Adventure. Kirby games are so frigging easy and it still took me like 5 tries to beat the final boss. The True Arena in the DS port of superstar w/out powers is probably easier than most mario games.

IIRC, aren't they the bitches that fire sword beams too? I think some enemy fired sword beams...

Ya, they fire blade beams. So do blue darknuts. I think the only difference between blue nuts and birds is birds can fly.

(I assume they do more damage and take more damage. I don't really remember if movespeed, shieldspeed, and swordspeed is faster between nuts and birdknights).

I don't know if they do more damage, but the agility is enough to make them more difficult. Just get good at killing them and you won't need to know if they're stronger or not.

Blue Darknuts and Blue Birdknights both have faster sword speed due to their ability to spam sword lasers.

This was always one of my favorite games of the series alongside the gameboy games. Most often in zelda games I am forced to do a 3 hearts play through to make things difficult. Zelda 2 encourages you to abuse because even then the game is still highly challenging. And its not cheap either. Just difficult!

Edited by Lancelot

Got it on the gamecube Zelda Collector's Edition, seems promising, but I got bored of it after five minutes. After seeing this topic, I might try it again some time.

Same happened to me, except for on Wii VC. Never really could get into it.

I'd like it more if you would keep experience after you turn the game off.

That is my biggest gripe about the game. You'll have long periods later on when you might want to grind and you've got to force yourself to keep going or lose everything.

My other gripes are no dungeon maps (or even a world map but at the time that was the poster you get with the package...bought it cart-only, oh you're screwed), the classic NES identikit rooms can make you feel really lost at times and "just my knife and magic?" but as far asthe last one goes I understand if you gave Link Bows and arrows, suddenly most the opponents don't pose a threat since you can snipe them and the others are how it was back then.

• 2 weeks later...