Wi-Fi Battles: "What is 'cheap'?"

Alright. I'm sure we've had our share of bullshit matches. Aside from Hackers and AR freaks, what is 'cheap'?

I'm sure we allg et pissed when someone uses a flyer to scout for us and then sends in 2 archers with Longbows, a Ballistician and a Swarm on a Sage to pick us off from afar. That really pisses me off and shows that you really need to stop being a coward, but by the same token, if you get close enough, they're fucked. It has it's ups and downs.

Is it 'cheap' to make the 3 Sisters into Snipers and Give them Brave Bows and Longbows?

I'm sure you will consider me cheap for the following. I have a team called the Cavalcade. It is made up of Merric/Sage as well as 4 Paladins (hence, the name). I usually have all my characters (on Map #3) if I'm player 1, block the exit of the starting area so none of my opponents units can leave and so I can scout them for stats. Usually, if they're stronger than me or have Braves (Cavalcade uses maxed Killing Edges and no Braves) I can regroup them together and smartly, bring them down one by one. Is that method of blocking 'cheap'? I mean, my upcomming team has 2 Falcoknights, a DracoKnight, a Paladin and a Horseman so I can block all 5 doors and not just 4, and so I can move across the map faster. Each will have Braves so I can do some serious damage on Map 3. Is that 'cheap'? It's annoying when I'm player 2...

My new team has my Falcoknight + Boots (Movement 12) scout for enemies while my 2 Heros and 2 Swordmasters pick off anywhere from 2-4 of their units per turn if I can get a goon number in my range. She can also take the castle on each map from anywhere of 1-3 turns.

Anyways, discuss. There's alot to bitch about and it's good for debating. It all has its ups and dows. The Sniper team is amazingly good at being not seen but if you get too close you can massacre them.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's nothing really considered cheap in wifi besides that going-first-in-map-3-blocking-the-exits-trick.

The problem with using lots of paladins and fliers is that they have low speed caps, and will be picked off easily by faster Snipers, Horsemen, Swordmasters, and Berserkers. They might get in the way for a turn, but they'll be dead the next if you're not careful.

Snipers and Berserkers can't double capped Paladins. Horseman and Swordmasters lack Poleaxes though... but in return they have other dangerous stuff (Brave Sword...)

Snipers and Berserkers can't double capped Paladins. Horseman and Swordmasters lack Poleaxes though... but in return they have other dangerous stuff (Brave Sword...)

Snipers can double a capped Pally. Max Speed is 25 for Pally. Max for Snipe is 29, I believe. So far, the only thing Bringing my dow are Long-bow Snipers, Sages, and Polaxes which usually give a 1HKO if they're maxed. I'm using 2 of the Pegasus sisters (not Est) as Pallys. Palla has everything maxed except for Magic (1) and Resistance (18). Both of their Def is 30.

Well I'll be damned. Snipers do have 29 AS. Guess that's another dirt road for the Pallys.

Yeah. A team of 3 Snipers is a real piss of, especially if they have long bows because they can pick you off without you seeing them. The grestest thing about Snipers is that they have one of the highest, if not THE potential highest Critial.

Killer Bow Fully Forged (50%)

Class Bonus (5%)

Maxed SKL (30/2 = 15%)

Total = 70%

EVen with a maxed LUK you'll still have a 40% chance of being smashed.

And this is cheap... How?

Intelligent to use is more like it.

The triple Sniper thing. Yeah. Intelligent, but it shows that you are afraid to get hit. I'm all about the cloak/dagger tactics. Don't get me wrong, but I'm not risking having them get close to my archers and have me motionless. I think it's cowardly.

I know it will happen because I do it all the time. If my enemy has an archer, I try to save it as their last unit unless it's a threat b/c usually I can surround it all all 4 sides, just to piss them off and constantly end my turn. I'm a real asshole on the last unit if I have 3 or more.

What about the long-range shit? Ballisticians/Swarm? I can Take swarm but making an entire team of Snipers, Mages and Ballisticians? Really, Get some fucking skill, pussy. Hiting someone from 3 blocks away with a long bow repeatedly is being a coward. You can't tell me if that was happening to you you wouldn't be a little pissed?

I'll agree that my tactic of blocking doors was cheap...

It's quite intelligent, well, on paper.

First off, most people use Dazzle so the deadly hits from Snipers and Berserkers aren't as frequent. The only exception would probably be your team which probably would be using Apotrope card. From what I recall a decent WiFi team consisted of Sage Merric, Sniper, Horseman, Berserker + an oddball (usually a Paladin). A team like the one you presented should focus on two Snipers + Horseman or Sniper + two Horseman so he isn't entirely screwed by close combat. Then again, my opinion.

It's quite intelligent, well, on paper.

First off, most people use Dazzle so the deadly hits from Snipers and Berserkers aren't as frequent. The only exception would probably be your team which probably would be using Apotrope card. From what I recall a decent WiFi team consisted of Sage Merric, Sniper, Horseman, Berserker + an oddball (usually a Paladin). A team like the one you presented should focus on two Snipers + Horseman or Sniper + two Horseman so he isn't entirely screwed by close combat. Then again, my opinion.

In theory it works. The long-range thing. If, of course, you're using a full team of Pallys. In which, case, I will always be 2x/4x hit. I generally use Judgement, like everyone else, because I need criticals (Cavalcade uses maxed Killing Edges). If they have Judgment as well, I have Merric + Fortify. I've also found that teams like the above mentioned sometimes lack a healer. Judgement, has actualy saved my life against other teams with ful-on Brave weapons, maxed out.

Complaining about "cowardly tactics" is the tone of a scrub.

This. We really don't need topics like this that encourage scrub behavior.

Tactics involving imbalanced maps are problems with imbalanced maps, not the players that chose to take advantage of this.

I don't really consider any tactics cheap, but I hate people that just have their units hide in the fog and take nearly all 5 minutes to end their turn, hoping their opponent will surrender. And obviously there's hacking, but most hackers don't have good tactics/weapons, but occaisonally you run into one with a forged swarm and weapons with hacked range.

And as for the whole map 3 tactic, everybody does it (everybody smart enough, that is), so even that really isn't cheap.

I have actually have a few dirty tricks on me. But you'll only see them in battles hehe.

if you use cheap tactics its beacuse you know you cant win using no-cowardly stratagies. blocking the doors means you are sacred to face the unkown. the best anti door stragy is long range attacks from ballsitains and swarm.

Soren

"Do you realize how completely absurd you sound? The enemy did not build the fortress so they could stand outside of it. They will not come out of their own accord."

Skrimir

"But-- Those beorc cowards! They will hide from us?! What do we do? I do not know how to fight cowards!"

There are no such thing as cheap tactics. Fire Emblem is a strategy game, and those (besides hackers) that will do best are the best tacticians (and those who are incredibly lucky). The best tacticians have good strategies, some almost flawless. It's your job as the opposing tactician to come up with a strategy that defeats theirs.

There are no such thing as cheap tactics. Fire Emblem is a strategy game, and those (besides hackers) that will do best are the best tacticians (and those who are incredibly lucky). The best tacticians have good strategies, some almost flawless. It's your job as the opposing tactician to come up with a strategy that defeats theirs.

Scenario:

3 Snipers

1 Draconkight

1 Sage

Draconight scouts you for your location. It spots 3 of your units. Sage Swarms 1 and hits it. Sniper 1 then longbows it to death--you donno where the sniper is. Sniper 2 uses a Bravebow to kill your 2nd revealed character in 1 battle. Let's say it's a paladin. (Pally Spd25, Snip Spd29, therefore Brave = 4X) Then, let's say your 3rd unit that was revealed was your Sage. Sniper 3 uses a longbow to kill it in 1 fight. This is a pretty accurate situation because it has happened before to me. Now then, considering none of the enemies are in your movement range, you'l have to more 1 unit near them and that one cannot attack. You avhe 2 units left. Unit 1/2 will HAVE to atk a single Sniper or run because of the Sniper's maxed speed, only a Brave weapon could possible bring it down in 2 battle. Now you're left with 3 units, their 4. you know damn-well you aren't going to come out of that alive.

That's why I have a new strategy. Palla and Catria reclassed Mage->Swordmaster. Then, I give them Levin Swords, maxed. It's risky but it let's you hit back against those Snipers. I mean, c'mon, an entire team of ranged units? Really? It's risky on their part but honestly, it shows that to win you have to stay behind. You know what I mean? People can say that it's stategy but I can't wait for it to happen to you and lost half your team in 1 turn and be like, Wow, Coward.

Scenario:

3 Snipers

1 Draconkight

1 Sage

Draconight scouts you for your location. It spots 3 of your units. Sage Swarms 1 and hits it. Sniper 1 then longbows it to death--you donno where the sniper is. Sniper 2 uses a Bravebow to kill your 2nd revealed character in 1 battle. Let's say it's a paladin. (Pally Spd25, Snip Spd29, therefore Brave = 4X) Then, let's say your 3rd unit that was revealed was your Sage. Sniper 3 uses a longbow to kill it in 1 fight. This is a pretty accurate situation because it has happened before to me. Now then, considering none of the enemies are in your movement range, you'l have to more 1 unit near them and that one cannot attack. You avhe 2 units left. Unit 1/2 will HAVE to atk a single Sniper or run because of the Sniper's maxed speed, only a Brave weapon could possible bring it down in 2 battle. Now you're left with 3 units, their 4. you know damn-well you aren't going to come out of that alive.

That's why I have a new strategy. Palla and Catria reclassed Mage->Swordmaster. Then, I give them Levin Swords, maxed. It's risky but it let's you hit back against those Snipers. I mean, c'mon, an entire team of ranged units? Really? It's risky on their part but honestly, it shows that to win you have to stay behind. You know what I mean? People can say that it's stategy but I can't wait for it to happen to you and lost half your team in 1 turn and be like, Wow, Coward.

Tactics, my friend. As you said, it's risky on their part. Find their weakness and exploit it. While that definitely isn't fair, how many battles (in real life) do you think one general has won and the other went, "Hey! That's cheap! You're not allowed to use tactics like that!"? I'm guessing VERY few. If any.

In fact, you can't really say that there a cheap tactics, and then say this is better than the GBA multiplayer in any sense beside it has wifi. IF you believe that not simply meeting your opponent 5 on 5 and seeing who's units are better isn't fair, then this really isn't different from the link arena.

The only possible way a Sniper with a Brave Bow can take down Max / Max Paladin is if the Sniper activates a critical (good chance), but it's negated by Dazzle.

As for the Sage scenario, I'd say it depends on how much time the person put into Marich's Def (and possible HP). Max/Max will always survive as well as Max HP / 13 Def Marich (Longbow!Sniper has 42 Atk). With RNG-abusing it's possible HP-wise.