Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 5: That which is unplanned

Snowy_One

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His new teacher apparently had no testing ideas. Iso had a a hundred ideas and counting, each one racing through his thoughts at the speed of light! None of them however, had anything to do with magic. He mentally slapped himself, and then smiled to try and hide how much her feminine behavior was getting to him.

Iso: Well ... I've been out of practice ... perhaps strengthening one of my weaknesses would help in the future? :unsure:

Which weakness? Your difficulty controlling your rage? Your lack of wisdom? Here is a question. Your girlfriend has been captured by a druid threatening to curse her. You have followed the druid to a heavily wooded forest. The druid has your girlfriend by a lake with a knife in hand and is about to curse her with a dark curse of cursing. You have a fire tome and your fist. What do you do?

OOC: That kind of question is going to push Iso's anguishing past button :mellow:

At first the question was shocking to Iso. He wasn't sure what type of curse she meant, and he was positive that the forest needed to remain unburned, while his hypothetical girlfriend remained alive.

Iso: Normally, I would have brought an archer along to flank the druid. But I'm guessing that I don't have an archer at my disposal -_-

As he thought, nothing particularly clever came to mind. He was imagining that the captive woman was Miranda, the sage woman that he once knew. That clouded his judgment as she was not a hypothetical love interest when she was alive. The prospect of successfully saving someone he cared about was almost too good to be true.

Iso: I would whack him over the head with the fire tome as hard as I possibly could, then whisk her to safety ... if only I could -_-

I see. Katie stood up, picking up her tome, a stern, punishing look in her eye. You have failed me for the last time fire mage! she wrote, her lines thick and dark. Then, she raised her metal-bound tome over her head, as if to whack him!

Then she lightly tapped him on the head before falling back into her chair, her chest rising and falling once again in faux laughter.

Kelas realized that the room was full of people flirting with each other. Furthermore, she realized, this annoyed her, for no logical reason. Tiredness was making her irritable, she decided, and headed up the stairs to the room. Morgan and Tessa were still talking; oh well. She slipped into the room noiselessly and stretched out on the floor on the far side of the room, leaving the remaining beds for the others. Soon she drifted into a fitful sleep.

OOC: I'm guessing timeskip will occur shortly after supports, etc have wrapped up?

oocEdit: Wasn't asking whether it'd been approved, more of when. Rhetorical question. Sorry. Oh well. ~falls asleep~

Edited by Darth Lacuna

Right now? Beg, plead, appeal to their better nature, and if they got too close, whack them. In my prime. Well; TISME had some, shall we say, interesting tomes in the works.

OOC: I THOUGHT I ALREADY GAVE TS APPROVAL!

EDIT: damned caps.

Edited by Snowy_One

Much like the time at the border station, hugging Morgan was somewhat awkward, as if she hadn't ever really had much experience with physical intimacy of the sort. That didn't bother Tessa at all though, it was loving human contact, and that was what was important. She leaned close to Morgan's ear and whispered, "...Thank you."

Separating from the embrace, Morgan had continued to try to reassure her, but while the points she made were all perfectly sensible ones, they seemed to lack convincing power, though she wasn't sure why. Perhaps it was due to the shaman's tendency to be purely logical? If someone else had presented these arguments as reasons why Morgan wouldn't hate her, Tessa could easily see herself agreeing, but somehow she was less sure of the situation when it applied to the mercenary.

"People are funny sometimes..." she said softly, staring at her hands. "We don't always do what we know is best. I knew I should've declined the match, but I fought her anyway. Maybe you're right, and she has some inner demons from years gone by that she needs to face, and that's all. Maybe she'll end up bearing a grudge against me. Maybe both. I guess I'll just have to find out what happens when it happens."

Slowly she began to gather the things she had dropped, while continuing, "And this might be asking too much... but if you do pry into her past, for my sake or any other, please, try to be gentle about it?"

Bowing slightly, she said one final thing before turning and leaving the room.

"And... thanks again, Sis."

The rest of the night passed uneventfully for Tessa.

"I see." Damian responded to Esphyr's comment.And then the advance payment came up.

"Oh,if you have those who need the money,it's no problem.Just wait a minute." Damian said,and departed to his room.

When he walked in,he saw Tessa and Morgan having a bit of a moment,but decided not to pry.He picked up a medium sized coin-pouch from his armor and walked towards the exit of the room.

"So Esphyr...how did you come upon your sword style?" Aiya asked the mercenary while Damian was gone.

"It seems to be quite rough,but I can see a good sense of control over your blade all the same,and it seems very effective."

At that point,Damian reappeared and tossed the coin-pouch at Esphyr,and she caught it.

"Unfortunately,that is all I can give you at the moment.I hope it will suffice."

OOC:There is about 100 gold in the pouch,if that is considered a whole lot,then make it about 50 or so.

OOC: It's fine. I didn't really care how much I got. It's part of Esphyr's character.

IC: "I learned my swordstyle mostly on my own." said Esphyr, untying the knot and opening the pouch to peer inside. Then, before she counted how much was within, she looked back up at Aiya. "Well, sort of. As a child, I showed some skill with the blade, among other things. So I was taken in by... some people.. to try and hone my skill. Not with the blade though, at least, not beyond what a child would know. Then, when I was eight, I got my Crimson Weapon, and I couldn't stay. I picked up what tricks I could from those few times I fought alongside others, and learned some things by getting my ass handed to me as a child and young teen. Still, I survived, pressed on, and eventually got better. Most of the tricks I know came from before then, when I was a child though. I just practiced those. They fit at first, as they weren't meant for someone with immense skill in the blade anyways and would only be using it for defense. I outgrew them in the end though when I picked up my iron slab, and only practice them when I call out my weapon fully."

With that done, she looked once again inside the bag, counting the gold coins. "Thirty nine. F-fourty... Fifty... S-seventy? A hundred? Aiya. This isn't a advanced payment. This is a full dowry! A brideprice for a middle-class girl! It is enough to keep my family fed for three years at least! I can't accept all this!"

"If it is to feed your family,I can only regret that I am unable to impart any more to you.Think of it as a full payment up front,with a bonus,since I like you,Esphyr." Damian told her in response to her flabbergasted comment,and winked at her playfully at the latter part of his statement.

"Either way,don't worry.I've seen your ability,and you hold a crimson weapon.Not only that,but this is likely the most dangerous job you will ever face.The money isn't an issue,I can access Halton military funds,so such an amount is not an issue."

"No. I mean, it's just... I... I mean... i don't... I..." sputtered Esphyr, a confused look upon her face as it flitted from the sack of golden coins to Aiya, then to Daiman, before turning to a horrified look. "I can't accept this! It's too much!" she said, dropping the sack of gold on the ground. "It's too much, and only bad things will happen because of it! I... I can't... Last time I tried I got a root in the back! I can't do it!"

Esphyr was panicking.She was starting to stutter and had dropped the coin pouch on the ground.She was starting to yell,going back to the events of earlier.

'This isn't good.I just need to try to calm her down.'

Esphyr stopped talking suddenly.Damian had wrapped his arms around her and began to rub her back in a calming motion.

"It's alright Esphyr...it's alright...you don't need to take all of it if you don't want to,ok?"

Esphyr quickly reached in, taking only three of the golden coins. "This is all I can take." she said, trying to calm herself down. She then pressed the sack of golden coins into his hand. "It should be enough to keep them fed for a month. Daiman I... You're one of the few employers who hasn't tried to jip me. Thank you." Suddenly, she stepped forwards and hugged him, her arm going about to Aiya and trying to pull her close as well.

"If that is all you want to take,I will not force you to take any more.But if you ever need a bit more gold,I have no problem upping your payment,okay?" Damian told her with a warm smile.

Then Esphyr pulled the two soldiers close.The embrace of three was a little awkward to position,but Damian and Aiya both accepted and returned the embrace.

"You don't need to thank me for that.It is simply a matter of kindness and honour.I thought that was universal,but I guess some people do not understand...still,if you ever have any needs,be them more pay,or someone to talk to,even,don't hesitate to talk to either of us,okay?" Damian said,angry that Esphyr had reason to say such things,but not revealing it.Aiya nodded at his statement and spoke as well.

"That's right Esphyr.We're friends,you're not just some expendable tool,so don't think that way,alright?"

"It's... Not that." started Esphyr. "Also, I can see that you two clearly have something for each other. Your hand on her waist and everything... Just know I do not plan to get in your way."

---

Tell me Iso, what do you expect to learn from me?

"Yes...but do not think that means you can't talk to us.You don't like to admit it,but I see it almost everyday,Esphyr." Damian told her,not wanting the conversation to end there.

"You always say you are just a mercenary,but people do care about you Esphyr.we are both part of those people,the others in this group are the same for the most part,and no one wants you to hide yourself because you think you aren't worth it."

"Just promise us you won't hide things that are hurting you,okay?We just want to help."

Iso: Whatever I can. I couldn't get anywhere near that institute of yours. Too many people think that I'm a demon or something to that effect. There are still plenty of things about magic that I don't understand. Besides ... maybe you'd consider staying with the group after I help you avenge your apprentices ... that's my hope anyway.

He put his hand on the back of his neck realizing that he had completely let his guard down for no apparent reason. It was comfortable, but incredibly stupid given his past.

I will see what I can do. We can start sometime soon, but not tonight

---

"If it's something you should know, I will tell you. Some fights need to be fought alone though." said Esphyr before she turned away; returning to her room for the night.

OOC: There? Ready to TS now?

OOC: No tonight? :( Awwww Onegai Sensei? :D j/k XD

Iso: I'm ... looking forward to it.

As he was turning away to head up to the room that he was supposed to be sharing, he had a brief feeling of relief run down his entire body. Proxima wasn't in his hands, but he could still feel its presence somewhere nearby, and it was resonating with him. He quickly turned back to tell Katie goodnight.

Iso: ... sleep well ... "teacher" ^_^

Kelas awoke several times throughout the night, plagued by the nightmares that kept her up all night once every few months. They seemed to be increasing in frequency, though... Each time she woke up, there were fewer sounds in the inn, as more people finally went to sleep. A particularly bad nightmare sent her flailing into a sitting position, swearing.

"Whassamatter?" came Arrin's groggy voice.

"Nothing, go back to sleep," Kelas replied. She blinked: Light was filtering in through the curtains, and a rooster was crowing somewhere. Quickly she got up and dressed: tired though she was, she was used to waking with the dawn.

Seeing that Arrin was apparently nearly recovered and that nobody else was up, she fed and watered the horses, then headed for the inn's side yard. Since she'd be waiting for the others, she might as well get in some practice...

A scrap of cloth pinned to a tree some distance away provided a makeshift target. Kelas notched an arrow, aimed, and fired. The arrow embedded itself in the edge of the cloth. Not good enough. Practice continued.

OOC: I have timeskipp'd.

Given people's ability to pop up in random places, I'd not be surprised if Kelas were to get an audience. Doesn't matter, though, as she'll head inside once more of them are awake anyway.

edit for grammarfails

Edited by Darth Lacuna

Chase woke up early in the morning. "That was one if the best sleeping nights I've had in a long time," he muttered to himself. Seeing that nobody was awake, he went downstairs and had a slice of bread and butter. After he ate, he mumbled to himself, "I suppose I might as well do something now that I'm up..."

Chase went to his room quietly and took his bow and arrow, and thinking about yesterday's events, the poison he'd found in Kamilla's room. To his surprise, Kelas was already awake and practicing as well. "Guess I'm not the only one up early, huh?" he inquired.

As the night slowly faded into day, Isotov tossed and turned under the covers. He'd woken up a long time ago, but he had no reason to get up yet. He lied there and eventually started staring over at Irina. She seemed to be fast asleep. He watched her for about half an hour, even as the sounds of the others caught his attention. Neither the footsteps outside, nor the impacts of Kelas' arrows could distract him.

Soon her entire body turned to face him. Her eyes were still closed, but her positioning caught him off guard. He nervously stayed still, wondering if she'd woken up yet. Soon her eyes opened and the two were staring at each other. At first, neither of them said anything to each other. Iso was worried that Irina was still upset with him over his aggressiveness.

Iso: ... :mellow: ... ... ... g-good morning ... Irina ....

Irina: ... :mellow: ... ... ... jerk -_- ....

Iso: :(

She quickly turned over and hopped out of the covers. Without wasting any time she went off to freshen up. Iso sat up in the bed and sighed. Esphyr was lying in the bed across from him. She seemed to be asleep too.

Iso: ... I'll bare her anger for now ... there are more important things to worry about.