World Cup 2010

burning_phoneix

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the World Cup?

• Spain
    • Brazil
    • Netherlands
    • Argentina
    • France
    • Germany
    • England
    • Uruguay
    • Italy
    • Portugal
    • Other (Please mention in post)

I hope France actually deliver next time. If they qualify sans handball and sans Domenech I'll be happy to support them enthusiastically again.

Craig Foster, who captained Australia once (I think it might have been during '74), sums up Domenech perfectly.

http://www.footylounge.com/films//south-africa-v-france-highlights-22062010/craig-foster-labels-domenech-pig-of-a-man-video_03fb93a3d.html

Edited by Furetchen Arrowroot

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a World Cup of firsts, this is the first world cup where Europe are outnumbered in the round of 16 and the first world cup where two world cup finalists fail to reach round 2 as well as the first where not all of the seeded teams failed to qualify.

After the first round of matches I was worried about the quality of the tournament but shit just got real.

I'm not really surprised France and Italy didn't qualify. France didn't have their shit together and sending home Anelka certainly didn't help, and Italy had practically the exact same squad as last year, wrinkles and all. And Buffon's herniated disk certainly didn't help their chances.

Italy had practically the exact same squad as last year, wrinkles and all. And Buffon's herniated disk certainly didn't help their chances.

Actually Italy had an even worse squad. No Totti, no Del Piero, Pirlo only played one match...

Well, Brazil vs Portugal was an interesting match and I lol'd at NK's 0-3 loss to Ivory Coast.

But to be honest, this had to be the most unintense and boring final group matches of them all. All 4 teams pretty much had their fates set in stone before the matches even started. The only possible change that could've happened is if Portugal lost along with the Ivory Coast could somehow put an 8-goal gap in between them and NK, which would've eliminated Portugal and caused Ivory Coast to advance. But chances of that happening were very slim to none.

Well, Brazil vs Portugal was an interesting match

The first half was acceptable. The 2nd was obnoxious. It was irritating as hell.

The first half was acceptable. The 2nd was obnoxious. It was irritating as hell.

Especially towards the end. If I was the referee, I would have asked the players if they would like the game to end sooner since no one really wanted to play.

And lol at Ronaldo being the man of the match in FIFA website. Seriously, for someone who played so selfishly, it's beyond me how he could be the best player. Is it fans who vote for that?

Last time England played Germany they won 5-1 and even Heskey,(I think,) managed to score. I miss 2001 sometimes

Ah well the important football matches start soon (as in those that will make a difference.)

@ Crystal Shards Of course England haven't scored a goal because Capeelo brought Heskey, who when paired with Zamora can make a formidable assault, to those sitting in the Z at least.:awesome:

I couldn't get online yesterday so it was a joke about Heskey and Zamora being shit as a late response to your comment saying England couldn't score.

At least the second half had Cesar's back getting stomped. Which IMO was the highlight of that match

Chile vs Spain is quite entertaining, so far.

Eh, I found it to be a little dull so far, although that goal Chile nearly scored was alright.

At least the second half had Cesar's back getting stomped. Which IMO was the highlight of that match

Eh, I found it to be a little dull so far, although that goal Chile nearly scored was alright.

You're insane, if Cesar gets hurt Brazil is fucked.

And now a rediculous goal. Match of the Year.

You're insane, if Cesar gets hurt Brazil is fucked.

And now a rediculous goal. Match of the Year.

I just found it lulzy.

I think the goalie was an idiot for rushing out like that. You can tell he was trying to go for an epic save though.

CChilie vs Spain have been pretty epic so far, although now it seems Chile have stopped imitating mario football this half. TBH I'm suprised Torres didn't get hit by a green shell at the end of the first half.

Edit so as not to double-post: FUUUUUUUUUUUU one goal away from Spain vs Brazil :(

Edited by mikethfc

When did I say that?

Well you said something about America scoring more than England but the Heskey joke doesn't work that way :P

Who gives a fuck about Heskey/Zamora...where the hell is Bent?

*cough*Sunderland fan*cough*

Still in the changing rooms with a little luck ;)

Well you said something about America scoring more than England but the Heskey joke doesn't work that way :P

I said that you can't rule England as a favorite because they scored a goal on Slovenia. The USA scored three times and they're not favorites, so why should England be favorites when they scored once? That doesn't really have any connection to what you're on about...

We didn't watch the same match, apparently. The first half was painful, the second half was awesome, and overtime was annoying as shit. Yes, Ghana played better (our defense is practically non-existent half the time), but during overtime it was delay of game after delay of game and SEVERAL terrible throw-ins on Ghana's side that didn't get noticed by the refs. And I found it odd how US players were getting carded for shit but it took a while for a few Ghana players to even get noticed. Dempsey got the shit kicked out of him and the refs waved it off time after time. Hopefully the USA has taken a lot from this WM and will do even better in the next WM than they have done in this one. They did play well overall and they did bring together a nation that doesn't even call the sport by its real name.

The penalty on Dempsey that landed Donovan the goal should have been a red card since the offending player was the last defender (due to the nature of the offense). The players that ran off the field after the goal should have been given yellows, since that too is in the rulebook. Etc. etc. etc. FIFA needs better refs. (Though at least in this case these failures probably wouldn't have affected the outcome of the match.)

Edited by Crystal Shards

and overtime was annoying as shit.

Overtime was the best part of the match. Seeing the Americans go all-out like that, including Howard along with all the extremely close goals that USA could've made kept me in suspense. Although I will agree with you with clearly seeing Ghana trying to waste time after their second goal. I mean really, spending nearly a minute just to do a corner kick to buy time? Yeah that was bullshit.

Just because USA lost does not mean it's a bad match. Now that I think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't call USA vs Algeria epic if it was an Algerian player that scored that last minute goal instead of Donovan.

The players that ran off the field after the goal should have been given yellows, since that too is in the rulebook

Who cares if they ran off the field after their goals? If I recall in Algeria vs USA, there were dogpiles being made after that goal.

The penalty on Dempsey that landed Donovan the goal should have been a red card since the offending player was the last defender (due to the nature of the offense).

You're asking for too much, at least USA got a free kick when that penalty occurred which was the ONLY reason why USA managed to score a goal in the first place. Odds are if the refs red-carded they would've used that as an excuse to not give USA that free kick, even though possibly the outcome of the match might have changed with one Ghana player out of the picture. I still think that possibility is rather slim as Ghana may have still won anyways.

I only watched the first half, and was pretty annoyed that USA couldn't keep their shit together. Then I saw they scored, and that's it.

Too bad for USA, though. I was rooting for them :<