Games Consoles Tier List

Raven

Also, Sega CD for shit tier. That thing has horrible graphics, barely has any decent games and takes sup another slot in the wall since it requires it's own adapter. (rememver it's fused with the Genesis)

The N-Gage is easily better, it has a cellphone function, so it's actually of some use and entertainment.

I refuse to place the console which played Sonic CD into Shit Tier.

You also had to remove the battery and the battery case of the N-Gage to change the game, which was considerably fiddly. It also felt like holding a slice of bread when trying to use it's main function as a mobile phone.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SNES up. It has some of the best classics in platforming and RPGs. And Mario Kart. Hours and hours of fun with that one.

Dreamcast should go up too, since it's definitely THE best console for fighting games, both 2D and 3D.

SNES up. It has some of the best classics in platforming and RPGs. And Mario Kart. Hours and hours of fun with that one.

Dreamcast should go up too, since it's definitely THE best console for fighting games, both 2D and 3D.

Neo Geo.

I refuse to place the console which played Sonic CD into Shit Tier.

You also had to remove the battery and the battery case of the N-Gage to change the game, which was considerably fiddly. It also felt like holding a slice of bread when trying to use it's main function as a mobile phone.

For one game? N-Gage had Sonic N, which was basically a Sonic Advance clone, that doesn't change it from being good.

The Sega CD requires TWO (Or three) adapters, and it needs of another console to be powered, not to mention your criteria of not placing it in shit tier was because of one game.

PS3 needs to move down. Most of it's good games are shooters which, while good, tend to be very repetitive. Little Big, Heavy Rain, and GoW3 are great, but that's more or less all it has for exceptional titles that are not shooters. Not to mention Blu-ray is SERIOUSLY over-rated. Unless you have a top-end TV, you won't even see the difference, and even when you do, it isn't that huge. Plus, they are constantly flipping on the backwards compatibility, and I REALLY want PS2 games on a PS3!

For one game? N-Gage had Sonic N, which was basically a Sonic Advance clone, that doesn't change it from being good.

The Sega CD requires TWO (Or three) adapters, and it needs of another console to be powered, not to mention your criteria of not placing it in shit tier was because of one game.

It still feels like a slice of bread in your hands. It wasn't a particularly good phone either - much better out - even when it was new. It was Nokia's not very good attempt to create a good phone/game machine. Pricey too, for what it was. All of it's games were nothing but ports too, so nothing special there.

Sega CD also sold twice as many as N-Gage did, which says something.

Let me provide you with some reasons why SNES needs to move to Top Tier (at least):

Final Fantasy 2 (actually 4)

Final Fantasy 3 (actually 6)

Super Mario World and Super Mario All-Stars (SMB 1-3 compilation)

Super Mario RPG

Zelda: ALttP

Earthbound

Star Fox

Off the top of my head, of course. Some others can expand my list.

Oh, and since a lot of you like these games, I should point out that FE3, 4, and 5 were also released as SNES games.

Edited by Fayt Zelpher

It still feels like a slice of bread in your hands. It wasn't a particularly good phone either - much better out - even when it was new. It was Nokia's not very good attempt to create a good phone/game machine. Pricey too, for what it was. All of it's games were nothing but ports too, so nothing special there.

Sega CD also sold twice as many as N-Gage did, which says something.

Um...shape should be totally irrelevant.

And Sega CD selling more than N-Gage isn't saying much when it was one of the few consoles who had 3D graphics or "full motion" video. There were fans actually smart enough as to not buy it.

Let me provide you with some reasons why SNES needs to move to Top Tier (at least):

Super Mario RPG

Earthbound

Star Fox

Oh, and since a lot of you like these games, I should point out that FE3, 4, and 5 were also released as SNES games.

FE3-5's release was only in Japan, meaning it shouldn't make it much better because of them in a worldwide scale.

Mother 2 wasn't very popular in the US.

Edited by Speedwagon

Super Mario RPG

Earthbound

Star Fox

I don't think it should go above the Mega Drive - if SNES went to Top Tier, I'd have to see the Mega Drive up too. There's loads of Mega Drive games which make it awesome - just putting it above the SNES.

Street Fighter II

Streets Of Rage 1, 2 and 3

Sonic 1, 2, 3, CD, Knuckles, and 3D

Super Hang-On

Golden Axe

Out Run

I'm probably missing some here. But the point is that if SNES goes up, so does Mega Drive.

I don't think it should go above the Mega Drive - if SNES went to Top Tier, I'd have to see the Mega Drive up too. There's loads of Mega Drive games which make it awesome - just putting it above the SNES.

Street Fighter II

Streets Of Rage 1, 2 and 3

Sonic 1, 2, 3, CD, Knuckles, and 3D

Super Hang-On

Golden Axe

Out Run

I'm probably missing some here. But the point is that if SNES goes up, so does Mega Drive.

SNES had SF2, Gradius 3, Super Ghouls n Ghosts, Chrono Trigger, FF2/3, Battletoads and Double Dragon, Mario Kart, Super Mario RPG, Paladin's Quest, Secret of Mana, Lufia 1 and 2, Mega Man x 1-3, Mega man 7, Wanderer's from Ys, Illusions of Gaia, etc... etc...

Um...shape should be totally irrelevant.

And Sega CD selling more than N-Gage isn't saying much when it was one of the few consoles who had 3D graphics or "full motion" video. There were fans actually smart enough as to not buy it.

I'd say shape is pretty relevant. Not everything, but as a phone, it is quite impractical. It is shaped almost like a GBA, and tries to be a GBA and a phone in one. Also again - I address you back to the game changing issue of removing the back cover and battery every time. I'd say it can go above Sega CD, but Sega CD wouldn't be going into Shit Tier.

FE3-5's release was only in Japan, meaning it shouldn't make it much better because of them in a worldwide scale.

Mother 2 wasn't very popular in the US.

"Worldwide scale"?

If you are talking worldwide scale, don't bother making our own tier list. We can just get the sales #s off some website and go from there. Not perfect maybe, but more accurate than any shit we put together.

As far as I can tell, the SNES was much loved and has both "hidden gems" like FE5 and spectacular hits like LoZ: LttP. I'm also pretty sure its sales numbers would reflect more favoritism than any of the arguments you've been making.

Earthbound wasn't much noticed upon release but its influence on gaming is undeniable today, as those who love it are vocal in its support. Its haters are few and its fans are numerous and diverse. It has the ability to appeal to gaming nerds and newcomers alike. It's an excellent love letter to gaming in general with both smiles and tears potentially contained within. It's textually dense with possibilities. Cartridges of Mother 2 are now much more sought after than most of the classics as a result of its rarity. How much goddamn more do I need to say?

Edited by SeverIan

Raven, you should watch

whenever you have the time. And also, since I can't convince you to get the Sega CD to shit tier, I recommend you to get the N-Gage just above it.

PS - Should go waaaay down; PS 2 makes it obsolete.

NDS - Also down; it's just old at this point.

NES - This is the most unnecessary console. Also the games themselves are classics, not games I'd want to still play to this day. I'm sure many can agree that good in its time != timeless. See also: FF 7 isn't that great.

GBA - Get this thing out of here. Obsofuckinglete. No, actually, DS is stupid and can't play GB/C games, so keep it above mid or so.

GCN and Wii - I personally think the games on the GCN top those on the Wii, but the Wii can play GCN games. Lower Wii a bit for being kinda lame and leave GCN because it's obsoleeeeete

X360 - Arcade is amazing. Up this to awesome please.

PS 2 - Great, but not THAT great. It can stay though, because the only thing it really needs to be under is

N64 - This should be at the TOP of the list. No two ways about it. There are much better games for this console that other consoles can't even play. And much more of them too. Like, really? What's with SNES fanboys? N64 is god tier.

SNES - Speaking of the SNES, put it over the Mega Drive. But that's about it.

There's mine contribs; hopefully someone will recognize the truthiness therein.

Edited by Gnomes Suck >:(

PS - Should go waaaay down; PS 2 makes it obsolete.

Ths tier list is probably talking about the systems' games in and of themselves. If it weren't, I would assume PS3 pre-Linux patched out would have to be the best. I mean, you could run an emulator on it then that could deal with the majority of the others, could it not?

In that case

PS - Same

NDS - Unaffected

NES - Mostly unaffected; same

GBA - This would stay actually. Might even go up.

GCN and Wii - GCN up, Wii down.

X360 - Still would go up!

PS 2 - I was pretty much fine with this anyway considering the things its above really aren't as good as it (although the 360 is a close competitor if you ask me).

N64 - This should still be at the top of the list.

SNES - Unaffected.

So yeah, only like two of my suggestions really change. *shrug*

Ths tier list is probably talking about the systems' games in and of themselves. If it weren't, I would assume PS3 pre-Linux patched out would have to be the best. I mean, you could run an emulator on it then that could deal with the majority of the others, could it not?

I think it's more of a question about how someone would have viewed the systems at the time of release and through the consoles' life cycles, as well as the overall impact on gaming as a whole.

I mean, if that weren't the case, we'd have a natural bias toward newer systems due to sound quality, graphics and technical aspects of the game instead of judging the games and systems based on what the standards of the time were.

In that case, if we're putting together a list, let me weigh in. This is based on how much fun with each system. Keep in mind that in some cases, I never owned the systems, and thus missed out on a lot of the personal fun until years later (good example is the SNES). I won't list systems I never played in the first place, or played for extremely short periods:

God Tier

Sony Playstation

Sony Playstation 2

Gameboy Advance

Xbox 360

High Tier

Nintendo DS

Sega Genesis

Xbox

Nintendo 64

Gameboy/Color

Mid Tier

Nintendo Gamecube

SNES

Sega Dreamcast

Neo-Geo

Nintendo Wii

NES

Sony PSP

Low Tier

Sony Playstation 3

Sega CD

Sega Saturn

Atari 2600

Sega Master System

Shit Tier

Sega Game Gear

3DO

Virtual Boy

Turbografx CD

N-Gage

Gizmondo

CD-I

I think it's more of a question about how someone would have viewed the systems at the time of release and through the consoles' life cycles, as well as the overall impact on gaming as a whole.

I mean, if that weren't the case, we'd have a natural bias toward newer systems due to sound quality, graphics and technical aspects of the game instead of judging the games and systems based on what the standards of the time were.

Yeah, if you get stuck on the technical aspects of the title rather than the gameplay merits. I can't speak for everyone else, but I certainly don't view all of the newer systems to necessarily be anywhere near the "best". One might even argue that the older systems are given more leeway because they're part of one's younger life, and even something totally shit can be remembered well years later.

Edited by Esau of Isaac

But what good is the tier list if it's not going to affect investments in the culturing of ourselves and our posterity? So if you look at it how I did the N64 and PS 2 will hit the ceiling and outdated things like the Gameboy and original Play Station will fall through the floor.

N64 - This should be at the TOP of the list. No two ways about it. There are much better games for this console that other consoles can't even play. And much more of them too. Like, really? What's with SNES fanboys? N64 is god tier.

N64 was the console that began Nintendo's downfall. It should be lower.

Edited by Black Soldier