LoAF Character Ranking

Kanami

-Akin to the tier list, this thread is meant to rank how interesting we(Rp'ers) have been able to present our characters.

-To get consent on a change, you'll need to either get two more people to agree with your opinion for a change, or convince me(Kanami) why it should be altered.

-Why am I being judge? Because I have more free time then most of you and if you can convince me, chances are you can convince everyone.

-The list will not include NPC's or characters which haven't officially joined up with the group. (For obvious reasons)

High Tier

Morgan

Kelas

Tessa

Isotov

Mid-High Tier

Arrin

Eric

Damian

Cess

Irina

Esphyr

Mid Tier

Reika

Dani

Charlotte

Chase

Kamilla

Katie

Heinz

Alferis

Bottom Tier

Helios

Aiya

Mark (Deceased)

[spoiler=Unknowns]

Conrad

Viveka

Edited by Kanami

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're low because I randomly entered names and I wanted to see where everyone would place themselves. Feel free to argue yourself up.

At present, due to the volatile nature of the list, I'm willing to just have you dump information on me. If I have any issues I'll reject it and we can argue from there.

First thing that needs to be done is getting everyone in the right category IMO. So go ahead tell me your thoughts :P

Edited by Kanami

I wouldn't even rank Cess yet, too early IMO.

Katie down. She's about equal to Aiya IMO. She's Iso's squeeze, Aiya is Damian's. She does magic, Aiya rides a wyvern. She has the mute thing I guess, but her backstory got less interesting because Harold turned into a super devoted father instead of a rapist father.

I would personally not have a tier seperation between Morgan/Kelas and everyone else.

Mark down below Chase. Ian down to a tier below Bottom.

Might argue Tessa up later.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Updated,

Katie dropped to "Above" Aiya due to having some history while Aiya at present, due to Katie actually having a deeper story then "My friend had a wyvern who I got along with, and I work for Halton" she's got the Damian thing going but so does Katie.

Morgan/Kelas: Rejected, simply due to the fact I don't want the top tier left empty. If people think there's a character more interesting them Morgan then I can start dropping them.

Mark/Ian: Rejected due to them no longer being PC's. And Kai's said they'll not be returning (Will not return to the RP)

Helios: Dropped to bottom tier simply due to request. Kai can argue his way up if he thinks otherwise.

Mid high implemented, but Mid-low rejected. Simply due to the latter being sort of insulting XD Bottom means that you're neglecting the character and should most likely work on improving them. And I don't think we need two sections for that. (dozen+bit characters 4 levels is enough IMO 4 per)

Edited by Kanami

Helios may have had a lot of random scenes that didn't really add anything, but he at least brings up his backstory a fair amount.

I guess he could be seen as boring because he has no friends, but the fact that he's uniformly disliked means that Kai did something sort of right (or really wrong). Top of Bottom?

Tessa's backstory is a little plain, but she's had a lot of interesting interactions. Other than Morgan/Kelas/Damian, she's probably interacted with the most characters and she's had a variety of emotions (sometimes stern, sometimes kind etc.) Her interactions make her better than Isotov/Arrin IMO, who are fairly interesting but have only talked with a few people over the course of the entire RP. Tessa above Isotov.

I find some other characters more interesting than Morgan, but you're likely to end up biased against your characters one way or another so I'll leave that alone for now.

I'm actually willing to support Irina> Katie on the basis of recently being kinda interestng.

I would include Mark and Ian just for comparison purposes. The characters in Bottom aren't all that bad.

Edited by -Cynthia-

I'm actually willing to agree that Irina's starting to flesh out better then Katie lately so we'll go with Irina>Katie (Overrides the Phoenix XD)

Mark added, but I see no point in Ian, if they're below Mark, they should either be killed off, or they're reduced to generic NPC status.

Tessa's personality and character seems to warrant a pretty high positioning, I might even say higher then where she is now, but implemented.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Personally I think Damian's up too high, perhaps even below Isotov :/ He's important to the group but he sort of lacks character when compared to Iso in my opinion. He hasn't really proven to be interesting at all I think but that's just what I think, and it might be laced with my dislike for his character.

Chase isn't that bad is he?

He's been less interesting the last few chapters since he's just been err...romancing the ladies, though being the token guy who hits on the girls makes him at least somewhat interesting. He's also talked with almost everyone in the group, especially through chapters 1+2. He should stay above Arrin at least, Arrin's interesting and kind of adorable but only ever talks to Tessa and Kelas which limits him.

I don't think Chase is that bad either. He has the outlaw and knife-happy things, which is something. If we had actually met Conrad he would have had more fleshing out. Not sure where to put him though, above Irina maybe?

Cess is too early to be tiered IMO. Eric might be too. Their current positions are a little too generous if they are being tiered, they just haven't had the time to develop yet (Eric get lost in the shuffle a lot). Although Eric's luck antics are amusing and Cess has been pretty interesting so far, so they've got potential.

Any character below Mark no longer deserves to exist as a PC.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Hmm, I'm going to make a compromise and put Damian below Tessa if no one minds.

Chase above Irina.... well that makes sense I guess. Lightnings activity period hurts him IMO :/

I agree with Cess's position being a bit early to discern. Eric though's been around long enough to establish a presence. And waiting 3~4 chapters before being added in is a bit boring. So if you think he shouldn't be on the list, chances are he needs to be ranked down a bit more.

Cess, well again, I don't like the idea of waiting several chapters before being thrown in, and while he might be less developed then Irina he's establishing himself in the RP pretty quickly, and considering the speed he's adapted I'd say he'd probably be a bit higher in terms of displaying his character, but as you said, lack of active time, made me place him at the bottom of mid tier.

If Psych wants Cess removed, I'll comply, but I don't think you, or I should be telling a currently active character to not be on the list.

Edited by Kanami

It really depends on criteria I guess. Someone like Irina is better developed (Cess has only really spoken with Morgan so far), but I have found Cess more interesting. I would say his position is very subject to change and can be better assessed as chapters go on.

Eric could move down a little. He did have that conversation with Kamilla (and what he did with her post mindwipe), but other than that all he's really done is get pwned by random weapons. Probably below Chase, based on what I've seen so far. Interesting backstory and I like how he introduced a new nation and involved things we haven't seen yet (Jace and Septimus) so clear room for improvement.

Edited by -Cynthia-

My version. Please note that they are not ordered within their tiers respectively.

High Tier

Morgan

Kelas

Tessa

Esphyr

Damian

Mid Tier

Arrin

Katie

Isotov

Kamilla

Eric

Bottom Tier

Helios

Cess

Chase

Irina

Aiya

Aiya... needs some depth to her beyond being just Daiman's friend/lover. Currently, we know nothing about her and she's appearently willing to have a threesome! She's not acting like a girl, but more of... how to put it... A guy trying to act like a girl too afraid to put her foot down and say 'no' to anything 'her' lover might want.

Cess is in low mainly because he hasn't had time to develop yet.

Kamilla's main thing is that she acts like a spoiled kid, and it's honestly annoying. We're not actually seeing her develop, but rather watching Naddy act like a child.

Helios honestly needs to grow a pair and get directly involved in the group.

While Morgan is well done, it's because Cynthia/Bioware are good writer(s) and not because Morgan is terribly interesting. I know she's based on Morrigan from Dragon Age, but she simply is NOT Morrigan. Morgan is a good character because Morrigan is good, but Morgan needs to really distinguish herself as different IMO or she's going to start dropping soon.

Just a few things.

Edited by Snowy_One

Your line about Morgan confuses me. First you say she simply is NOT Morrigan, then you say I need to distinguish between them more, that seems contradictory.

Originally Morgan was clearly based off Morrigan, but they've split quite a bit. Morrigan is very selfish, whereas Morgan genuinely wants to stop teh evilz, an 'ends justify the means' sort of approach which is different. There are also things like Morrigan

inviting you to her tent after you hand her a magic tome which would be horribly OOC for Morgan to do. I also don't think interesting necessarily means more original.

Esphyr's main problem is probably your activity. She was more prominent in Chapters 1+2, but all she's done the last few chapters is share her story with Damian and get felt up by him, which doesn't make her much different than Aiya IMO.

Katie joined because we fought the mesh and somehow that would help her avenge her students? It's not particularly strong(weaker than Isotov or Helios at minimum). You kind of took the drama out of the whole Harold situation, so she doesn't have that anymore. All she does now is make food for Isotov, which puts her down at Aiya level.

Kamilla acting like a child doesn't really have character development, thoughn it is a significant change. It led to some entertaining interactions though, and entertainment is inherently interesting. My $0.02

Cess's positioning, I'm not accepting that just because someone's new they should be ranked low. It's true we aren't exactly familiar with his character as the others, but joining late isn't a reason to labeled low. If you look at the subtitle, this list is heavily influenced by how well people think you're RP'ing the character, and frankly I completely disagree with Cess being in need of more character then he already has. Sure he could if he wanted to, but at present I'd go as far as saying he ranks up Arrin in terms of character. (Just hasn't had much to develop it)

@Kelas: While no ones actually mentioned her, she's up there on my list, largely due to Amari jerky.

Snowy (Arrin)

I'm sorry, but there's no way you're telling me Arrin is more developed then Isotov. Regardless of what Phoenix says Irina's pretty much been around for the last 3~4 chapters solely to make Isotov interesting, coupled with his legion of NPC's building on Isotov's story, he'd possibly rank above Kelas if they hadn't all been self directed monologues. I'm not saying he's a bad character, but he doesn't seem to have to much going for him, other then Tessa. He's progressing nicely, but not as well as others.

@Snowy (Morgan)

As Cynthia said, this isn't about originality, if she wanted to play Morrigan to the book, that's completely fine, not being original is no reason to be ranked down, since I can nearly attribute every character here to a character from a book/game/anime.

@Esphyr

I just don't agree, she used to be interesting before Katie came along and you transferred your attention to Katie and Isotov. You can generally tell if a character is interesting or not based on how many people are willing to go around talking to them (Eg Helios) Interesting is not necessarily two people liking eachother. But if you asked around, I'm pretty sure most responses to Esphyr would be "Meh, she's nice." Interaction with others is pretty much limited, (recently to only Damian and Aiya).

She's developing slowly, but an interesting character isn't defined by how much of her past you reveal. If that were the case, Helios would be above Esphyr easy.Frankly with all things considered I wouldn't think that she ranks much different from Kamilla.

@Katie

Katie's a tough one, since she's been introduced as a plot device, and has character. However alot of her actions don't make sense. And alot of her actions aren't subtle at all, the just pop out of nowhere. Maybe it's the slow paced timing of this RP, but it's been half a week since she met Isotov. Take a page out of Tessa/Arrin.

I'm going to move her up to above Cess, and am willing to listen to any more arguments to her being moved up. But Snowy, you seem to be one of the biggest offenders of support whoring, whether this be coincidental or just your RP style I don't know. But once you find one character you like, Esphyr/Katie just stick to that one character, ignoring everything and everyone around them and going out of their way to interact with just one person.

I think your main issue though is activity, no I'm not saying you're inactive (this time, though I may think it). But you controlling Esphyr, Katie, Headmaster and now Helenos is fine for plot development but hardly sufficient to develop the former two into interesting characters. If you're going to say that you're not inactive and that you're on enough then I won't argue, since it's partially true, it's just not enough to develop them properly IMO.

@Kamilla

Annoying is my forte, so thank you. I'd like to see you try and develop a character when they've been mind-wiped, don't know their own past, and half the group ignores her.... though I suppose Esphyr and Katie have the last one in terms of effect. :/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Henceforth I will be requesting people provide at least 4 sentences of arguments for a rank up/rank down. While I'll still read a one line request, I honestly doubt I'll change the list much without actual reasoning now.

Edited by Kanami

I think a fair gauge of how interesting a character is is how the other chaarcters have perceptions of them. If other character's reactions towards yours are primarily neutral/dosn't know/meh they're kind of nice I guess, your character might fall low on the interesting scale.

This is kind of why I support things like Helios> Eric and Katie. Say what you will about Kai, but other characters actually have an opinion of Helios which makes him less bland in my book. All Eric has is Kamilla and Katie Isotov (well other than a distaste for Morgan though that's so common it doesn't count for much). Other than that it's a pretty big list of Neutrals. Cess would have that problem too I guess, mainly because he hasn't talked to many people.

Note that you don't necessarily have to interact with people to do this. A fair number of people have opinions of Isotov who have never talked to him.

If Katie's reason for not being in Bottom is Isotov that's not very good. Aiya has a person which she has a lot of development with (and which is also a lot more plausible), but she's low because that's all she has. I see Katie much the same way now.

On second thought, I'd probably support Isotov>Damian. I'm not big on Katie or the monologues, but they do help make his character more interesting.

Edit: I think this recent interaction made Katie a little more interesting IMO, fine with current position.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Reika

Dani

Alf

Heinz

should be added to the list.

Heinz should be in low tier, not bottom. He's sneaky and such. He's being portrayed pretty well. A lot of thought dumping, but still I know what to expect from him.

Same for Reika.

Alf is hard to understand. He's like the exact opposite of old Helios. I'd recommend low tier for him too.

I recommend Irina for low tier because she's far surpassed everyone on bottom tier in terms of development.

Chase isn't really that low. He's got a somewhat unique personality, and while he's kind of a jackass, he at least has a sensitive side too. It's a lot more developed than it used to be anyways.

There is no low tier. Do you mean Middle?

Charlotte should be added as well.

Reika should be higher than the other newcomers. She's had a lot more "screen time", which helps flesh out her personality, plus she gets better reactions, top of Middle maybe.

Helios might have to move down lower, the amnesia thign actually hurts him IMO, thougb it might develop him in the long run.

Eric should move up, people have stopped ignoring him so we can actually see him as a character. Better than Kamilla IMO, since she's been absent.

Agree somewhat on Chase, he's gotten a bit more developed. Not seeing Katie>Chase at any rate.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Damian down. He's a God Mode Sue, FMPOV.

Edit: Chase up a bit? Sure.

Edited by Snike