Funny, Interesting and unknown facts about FE4 & 5

Tables

Any facts that fit the above descriptors. Note what game your facts apply to, unless it's something related to both or whatever.

All of these are FE4:

Chalphy and Evans Castle both appear in two other chapters. Jungby, however, only appears in the prologue.

Some castles move in between chapters. Augusty, Barhara and Mease are the offenders here.

After chapter 9, you never again see anything but magic users guarding castles. Also, asides from Hilda and Alvis, they are all guarded by Dark Magic users.

Jungby castle is the only castle which starts allied and must be captured to complete the chapter.

Every chapter has an allied unit or enemy unit with Holy Blood:

Prologue - Alivs

Chapter 1 - Eltoshan

Chapter 2 - Lachesis

Chapter 3 - Eltoshan

Chapter 4 - Andre

Chapter 5 - Langobalt, Reptor, Cuan & Ethlin

Gen 2 has multiple in each chapter.

Sety is the only person who can experience the wraparound glitch, and he can only get it if either Levin, or Holyn is his dad.

Ballista have both no move, and a 128 move cost along all terrain. Overkill much?

The princess class has Charisma as a soldier skill. Lachesis is the only princess in the game, and she has Charisma as a personal skill.

The game contains animation pointers for female Emperors and female Barons, for every kind of weapon, despite none existing.

Promotion isn't coded into each classes options - each character has an individual promotion path which can be easily changed into anything else (check my "Create Me a Hack" playlog if you want, I have all kinds of crazy promotions).

From level 1, it costs a staff user a minimum of 12,700G and a maximum of 570,000G to promotion, depending on the staff used. More precisely:

Live: 12,700G (127 turns)

Relive: 19,000G (95 turns)

Recover: 22,800G (76 turns)

Libro/Return: 27,500G (55 turns)

Restore/Warp: 32,000G (32 turns)

Reserve/Rescue: 34,500G (23 turns)

Silence: 190,000G (19 turns)

Valkrie/Sleep: 570,000G (19 turns)

Turns halve (rounded up) if the staff user has Elite, but stay at a minimum of 19 turns, since 100 exp per turn is the maximum.

That's all I have right now, but I'm sure everyone else has some interesting stuff to add (especially about FE5)

For Genealogy:

Dain Blood is the only Holy Blood you never get a character with.

Likewise, it is the one with the least number of characters in the game.

Still on subject, Hilda in the final chapter has Major Dain, when she should have Minor Fala, like in Chapter 10.

Why all the Dain stuff? I have no idea...

Thracia introduced Capture (which should return) Rescue, Fog of War, Gaiden chapters, BLD/CON, different victory conditions, alternate routes, playable Dark Mage (too bad they've never been really good) and the strongest thief utility.

Apparently it's also the only game you can transfer gold from 1 file to another.

Edited by Sirius

Wouldn't FE2 be considered more as introducing Gaiden chapters in a way? And I don't remember if anyone else could use the Raiper in FE1 except Marth? I guess Gaiden had alternate routes as well.

The boss of Chapter 23 of Thracia is the same one that charges Manster during Chapter 8 of Holy War. Both are called Coruta, and both times he can die to Sety.

Edited by Krad

Sibling crits exist in FE4's 1st Gen, but they're obviously a lot harder to arrange with fewer siblings. Though there has been fan speculation on the issue, Claude and Sylvia don't appear to have a sibling crit. I've also never seen one between Celice and Julia (half-siblings), but I also haven't ever tried to arrange it.

Although cousins (Aless and Delmud/Nanna, Lester/Rana and Faval/Patty, Celice and Leaf/Altenna) do not have sibling crits with each other, they can become lovers with no issues. Lester doesn't seem all that concerned that Patty is the daughter of his mother's twin sister. Then again, I guess Jugdral's seen worse.

All characters in the game are either fixed or children. Children characters get their stats and inheritance calculated as you would expect. The oddities are:

• Celice is a child character, even though he only has one mother or father. If you hack the game to permit Diadora to have a different lover, you can change Celice's stat and skill inheritance, though you probably shouldn't.
  • Although Alvis (Gen 1) has existing stats, Julia is a fixed character. If she actually took her stats properly, based on her growths vs. Diadora's, then Alvis's growth spread before Holy Blood would be 10% HP, 0% STR, 20% MAG, 0% SKL, 20% SPD, 20% LCK, 0% DEF, 0% MDEF. How a drooling mongoloid like that could take over all of Jugdral is anyone's guess.

The reverse-inheritance of Brigid and Ethlin only applies to item inheritance. Leaf still gets Cuan's growths as his base + half of Ethlin's + minor Baldo and Noba (30+10+10+10=60% STR growth).

For most children it's almost impossible to have less than 100% HP growth. Exceptions are most people with Dew as their father, Fee (who only gets >100% with Holyn or Lex), Nanna, Leen, Tinny, and strangely enough, Sety. Corple actually gets better HP growths than Sety, though he will dip under 100% if his father is Dew, Claude, or Midir.

Faval alone can never have less than 100% HP growth. Even fathered by Dew he's sitting at 115%, and with Holyn as his father he shoots up to an unprecedented 175%. Even Celice and Altenna, with 140% and 135% growths respectively, can't match that. In fact, Holyn!Faval's HP growth may be the highest single growth for a human character in the series.

Nanna gets more potential stat upgrades from conversations than any other child, though Fin must be her father for the +5 SPD.

FE5

Leaf has the lowest promotion gains compared to the other lords in the series. (+1 to every stat except build and movement)

It's possible to go past 20 magic. (Fire or Thunder Sword+Magic Circle in the endgame chapter)

Xavier will kill his own men despite telling Leaf to spare his men.

The maximum leadership stars a player can obtain is 9. (Leaf 1, Evayle 1, Glade 1, Fin 1, Xavier 1, Amalda/Conomore 1, and Cyas 3)

FE5 has the longest amount of turns reinforcements appear compared to the other games. (Turns 5-64 in the last chapter)

Enemies move in groups more often than the other games.

Villagers are willing to be ballista bait for Leaf.

Edited by Generic Officer

After chapter 9, you never again see anything but magic users guarding castles. Also, asides from Hilda and Alvis, they are all guarded by Dark Magic users.

What about Burian???

FE 4:

-Sety's speed will occasionally warp back to 14 because his growths are so high

-According to Oosawa: Sigurd is an Aries, Cuan is a Libra, Elto is a Leo, ect (she did this for all the G1 units)

-Sety is heterochromatic in his pic. One eye is green, but the other is brown

What about Burian???

FE 4:

-Sety's speed will occasionally warp back to 14 because his growths are so high

-According to Oosawa: Sigurd is an Aries, Cuan is a Libra, Elto is a Leo, ect (she did this for all the G1 units)

-Sety is heterochromatic in his pic. One eye is green, but the other is brown

Burian is commanding an army. Daggon is guarding the castle.

Sety's speed warps back to 15, actually, not 14. 15 is his class base.

In fact, Holyn!Faval's HP growth may be the highest single growth for a human character in the series.

Actually, he is beaten by SoS!Karel who has 210% HP Growth. So yeah...

Here's another fact:

In both games, Fin joins in the first chapter (though in Genealogy it isn't until Turn 3), leaves after Chapter 3, and returns in Chapter 7.

A correction to I eat tables's fact about holy blood, Andre is a neutral unit in ch. 4, not an enemy or an ally. He is however an enem in ch. 5. Mahnya also has minor holsety blood.

As for facts:

Altenna (ch. 23) and Kempf(ch. 11) cannot be killed.

If an enemy unit does not have a weapon equipped, their primary goal is to trade with another enemy who has an extra weapon.

Beldo can be captured, then released before finishing the game by having Leaf take the throne. I don't even want to know why somebody in Leaf's army would think this is a good idea.

This is a boring rule considering it has an exception...

Edited by SeverIan

The reverse-inheritance of Brigid and Ethlin only applies to item inheritance. Leaf still gets Cuan's growths as his base + half of Ethlin's + minor Baldo and Noba (30+10+10+10=60% STR growth).

@bold: not true. It also applies to holy blood. Brigid's major does not go to Patty, it goes to Faval. Cuan's major does not go to Leaf, it goes to Altenna. This is in contrast to, say, any children of Levin where the male gets his major blood and the female only gets minor.

The base growths are in fact the only thing that doesn't get reversed. There are basically three "types" of things that get inherited (items, growths, holy blood), and of those 2 are reversed in the cases of Brigid and Ethlin and only 1 is not reversed. (skills go to both children, so there is no potential for contrast anyway)

Edited by Narga_Rocks

A correction to I eat tables's fact about holy blood, Andre is a neutral unit in ch. 4, not an enemy or an ally. He is however an enem in ch. 5. Mahnya also has minor holsety blood.

I just got to this point on my current playthrough. You're wrong on both accounts. Andre is an enemy in both chapter 4 and 5. Mahnya is neutral in chapter 4, and does not have Holy Blood.

Dunno if this counts or not but...

The promotion bonuses in FE4 is exactly the difference between the unpromoted and promoted caps.

Yeah, furthermore to that, stats in FE4, unlike newer games, are recorded relatively to the base stats. So for, e.g, a Swordfighter with 14 SPD, the Swordfighter base is 10, so it's stat is recorded as 4. Cleverly, this means that, since all caps are exactly 15 above the base, every stat except HP and Luck can be recorded in 4 bits. Despite this, the game still records each one in a whole byte. IIRC the only time this can actually matter is Langbart, who has a base 21 MAG. If his MAG was recorded on 4 bits, he could have had 15 base MAG and a MAG ring, for just 1 less might.

This also means that if you change a character's class, their stats will never look that out of place - make Aira an Armour and her defence skyrockets while SPD plummets.

Everyone in the arena gets +20 Avoid, even if you are of a class that does not normally get terrain boosts.

Yeah, furthermore to that, stats in FE4, unlike newer games, are recorded relatively to the base stats. So for, e.g, a Swordfighter with 14 SPD, the Swordfighter base is 10, so it's stat is recorded as 4. Cleverly, this means that, since all caps are exactly 15 above the base, every stat except HP and Luck can be recorded in 4 bits. Despite this, the game still records each one in a whole byte. IIRC the only time this can actually matter is Langbart, who has a base 21 MAG. If his MAG was recorded on 4 bits, he could have had 15 base MAG and a MAG ring, for just 1 less might.

Actually, the same is done in the GBA and DS games (and I would imagine the Tellius games as well). This is how stats from class changes are calculated and promotion gains in both the GBA and DS games, which is how it's also done in FE4.

However, FE4 is different in that class caps are always the class base + 15. FE4 is also different in that enemy generics do not actually have caps, including the level cap.

In FE4, units are grouped into 4 types: Static, Dynamic, Enemy, and Holy.

Static characters include everyone from first generation as well as non-children character in second gen, such as Shanan and Oifaye.

Dynamic characters are any character that can inherit bases, growths, and equipment. Note that this means Julia is Static, but Celice, Leaf, and Altenna are Dynamic.

Enemy characters are any enemy whose stats are equal to class base+(growth*lvl), rounding down. Note that this includes a lot of bosses.

Holy characters are any non-player character that has a non-0 luck stat or holy blood. This is mostly plot important people, but also includes a few random dudes such as Robert and Boyce.

Actually, the same is done in the GBA and DS games (and I would imagine the Tellius games as well). This is how stats from class changes are calculated and promotion gains in both the GBA and DS games, which is how it's also done in FE4.

Holy characters are any non-player character that has a non-0 luck stat or holy blood. This is mostly plot important people, but also includes a few random dudes such as Robert and Boyce.

1: It's not in the GBA games. It is for their initial stats, but after that it's recorded absolutely (if you change a characters class with codes, their stats stay the same, IIRC). So really, it's both, I guess.

2: Holy Characters also include all enemies with personal skills, which explains the above two's inclusion

There's an unused temple graphic in FE4. I think it's standing on grass, so it couldn't be the Yied Shrine, or whatever that was.

Maybe it was intended for Edda.

Also, I skimmed through J2e's script yesterday (hoping to find an unused event involving the Silence Sword) and found some unnused conversations instead which I thought I should share outside of the FE4 THREAD, :E so here they are:

Prologue

# Alec

Your Highness, you better pull out of this while you still can.

Things are going to get pretty nasty once we cross over into Verdane.

# Ethrin

Alec? Wow, good to see you. Thanks for your concern.

But I'll be just fine. My father thinks I'm nuts, but I love this kind of stuff.

# Alec

Yeah, but...

# Ethrin

Alec, Adean and I have been friends forever. I'm just as worried as everybody else.

That girl's in a bad spot. The sooner we get to her the better.

# Alec

You don't budge an inch, do you... Reminds me a lot of Sir Siglud.

We'll do what we can to keep you safe, but don't you go doin' anything crazy, OK?

# Ethrin

Thanks, Alec. I'll try not to.

-----

# Mideel

Azel...

# Azel

Hey Midayle. How are you doing?

# Mideel

Azel, I'm so sorry about Lady Adean. I really blew it this time.

# Azel

Naw, it's not your fault. Don't let it bother ya.

# Mideel

Yeah, but I just know that she means a lot to you.

# Azel

Yeah, but that goes for you too, right?

# Mideel

How's that?

# Azel

Look, we're both hurting. Let's work together to get her back.

# Mideel

Yeah, let's do that.

-----

# Noish

Alright. We're about to go into Verdane territory. Alec, you have any last words?

# Alec

Noish, dammit! Would you lay off that crap!?

You take every little thing we do too damn serious!

# Noish

While serving under Sir Siglud, we, as knights, must always be ready to give our life.

# Alec

Yeah, don't remind me.

Look, Sir Siglud doesn't want us to get wasted out here under some loyalty pretext.

If you really want to show your loyalty to him, then do it by stayin' alive!

# Noish

I don't need to be told that!

Besides you're the one who seems to have trouble staying alive.

-----

Chapter 5

# Alec

Noish, this is about it, huh?

# Noish

Mmm.

# Alec

Hey, ah... I just wanna thank you for everything.

# Noish

Sure thing. Same goes here, Alec.

# Alec

It's been a friggin' blast, huh!

# Noish

Yep.

# Alec

Well, take care then.

# Noish

Yep. You too.

Edited by Marthur