Best/Worst in the Series: Round 50

NinjaMonkey

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best: Sothe FE10

Worst : Jeigan FE1/11 <--- the thing is you can actually SACRIFICE him in FE11 and that is the best option ever

Note: Arran is used in the early chapters of Book 2 to survive. Way more useful then Jaigen because Jaigen well you can just get rid of him while Arran will help you for some chapters

Edited by DomDaDude

I'm actually going to go against my usual reactions here and go for BEST: FE10 Sothe. The other Jeigans never felt necessary at all to me ('cept Jagen in the very beginning of FEDS H5, but then I let him die because he turned worthless) but Sothe is actually salvageable - not great, but salvageable.

Worst: FE6!Marcus. w/e.

EDIT: I'm adding a nomination for Best PRF Weapon.

Um, have you played fe6 on HM? Without Marcus it would be an incredible pain.

Um, have you played fe6 on HM? Without Marcus it would be an incredible pain.

Actually, no, I haven't. However, the rest of the choices (in my experience) are FEDS!Jagen and he's useful, and FE7!Marcus and he's useful. I think the Worst is definitely not FEDS!Jagen, and I think FE7!Marucs > FE6!Marcus.

Edited by Integrity

Not the exact same, I'll grant, but you are punishing a unit for your own incompetence.

If you did bother to bold the last part of my statement you would see how I didn't consider this as something that would make him bad, since it was part of my mistakes.

If you did bother to bold the last part of my statement you would see how I didn't consider this as something that would make him bad, since it was part of my mistakes.

Ahh, but you started the thing in the first place. If you've reconsidered, will you change your vote? Until you do, I can only assume that you still stand by the idea that you messing up with Sothe and him being trouble as a result makes him bad.

Why do you say that? I think it's going smoothly. :)

And dondon is supporting Sothe on the fe10 list. I wonder if Interceptor will say anything.

Ahh, but you started the thing in the first place. If you've reconsidered, will you change your vote? Until you do, I can only assume that you still stand by the idea that you messing up with Sothe and him being trouble as a result makes him bad.

I voted for Sothe mainly because I dislike him. This is silly, considering I don't judge characters by my like/dislike towards them as units. And the other thing was, I really didn't find any worse Jeigan- Well okay, there's Eyvel, but I like Eyval because it was interesting to have a SM Jeigan. She was also very helpful earlygame, where you needed someone to take down bosses. FE6!Marcus, FE11!Jeigan and FE12!Alan are all basically required if you don't want to take a million turns earlygame, meanwhile, I could take some more turns without using Sothe earlygame until Volug joins.

Edited by The Leaving Song

Good old Biased NM.

Since I've only played FE's 7, 9 and 10, it was either Marcus or Sothe for Best/Worst (since Titania in FE9 isn't allowed).

And I'd say Marcus > Sothe in terms of usefulness.

I was so hesitant of voting for Sigurd. He's an Ofaiye.

Oifaye just means a Jeigan with decent growths. While not all Jeigans are Oifayes, all Oifayes are Jeigans.

(although I think the term Oifaye is stupid anyway. There are what, a dozen Jeigans in the series? We don't need subsets.)

I was so hesitant of voting for Sigurd. He's an Ofaiye.

I told you, all the term "Oifaye" only signifies someone in the Jagen archtype, but doesn't really fall behind later on. It doesn't necessarily have to apply Titania and Seth. It could even be applied to Sothe, who admittedly, does still have some use outside of the earlygame. The only reason why Seth and Titania were left out was because those two would win the votes for best in a landslide. (Making third place the only interesting battle.)

I told you, all the term "Oifaye" only signifies someone in the Jagen archtype, but doesn't really fall behind later on. It doesn't necessarily have to apply Titania and Seth. It could even be applied to Sothe, who admittedly, does still have some use outside of the earlygame. The only reason why Seth and Titania were left out was because those two would win the votes for best in a landslide. (Making third place the only interesting battle.)

What defines a "Jeigan"? A character that is good up to midgame at most and bad afterwards.

What defines an "Ofaiye"? A character that starts good, and ends up decent. For that reason, an Ofaiye isn't a Jeigan. There's a reason why it falls under it's own archtype and not a sub-archtype.

Worst: Eveyl. Because she can't even do her job well at all. She's too strong to be a weakener when you get her (even with Iron Sword still has trouble being a weakener due to crit rate), she's barely around, and when you finally get her back, she's garbage unless you shove a Luna Manual and Strength rings on her. Say what you want about Alan, at least he had some uses (High Move plus weapon rank plus can double a lot early on), Eveyl's just bad.

Eyvel is the worst simply because her potential is so stunted. You have her for 4 chapters at the beginning of the game, and get her back 2 maps from the end (by then, she's entirely useless).

I can't believe I forgot Evayle. Maybe because I mostly consider her a limited-time aid (like BK) whose only purpose is to aid on certain chapters at the cost of everyone else's Exp. I don't consider her much of a jeigan since she doesn't have the utility (horse or roguery) and is not a good weakener (unless rescuing/capturing to make her not double).

Disarm is unreliable. And the problem is that there are those of us that dont wish to train a unit to a high level just so it can survive endgame, where there are many enemies with long range weapons and Sothe wont be good at dodging unless he was given favoritism to get to a high level.

All non-always skills are unreliable, but a unit with high Skill like Sothe can make it happen more often. You don't seriously need/want/have-enough-space-for all the enemies' items/weapons, just some here and there to save up money for forging. And like many have said befor eon this thread, Sothe doesn't need to be trained/used for endgame, and with a great Beorc dodge and forgable 1-2 weapons (unlike swordsmen/non-dragon laguz), he's ready for long range, unless you mean long range staffs/3-10 tomes, which nobody can counter and his Res is not too shabby for them. And anyone (except the chancellor) you plan on getting to a high/max level needs some favoritism; using everyone all the time won't help. Also unlike all the other mounted Jeigans mentioned here, Sothe has an utility outside Hard modes.

Seriously, I have Sothe get every single item in 4-3 and never fight. Sigrun and Tanith either don't fight at all or potshot once or twice. The three of them are an incredible item finding team. Sothe gets 100% or near 100% on every item and can go after 1 per turn thanks to the fliers. There should never be a moment in which they are in danger if you are even halfway competent at this map. It's similar to arguing that a healer sucks because you neglected to give them a staff. Not the exact same, I'll grant, but you are punishing a unit for your own incompetence.

I do the same but with Marcia instead of Tanith. And I agree, but maybe a better example of incompetence is to put your low-level healers on the frontline. I use forgedThunder!Sanaki behind bait-Stefan, Jill and Haar (attack and canto back to formation) to take care of the wyverns.

Since I've only played FE's 7, 9 and 10, it was either Marcus or Sothe for Best/Worst (since Titania in FE9 isn't allowed).

Since when did you play FE7? And yes FE7!Marcus isn't horrible.