Best/Worst in the Series: Round 50

NinjaMonkey

Best: FE10 Sothe

Worst: FE5 Eyvel

I don't understand why everyone dislikes Sothe as a combat unit. He is easily the most influential unit in the entirety of part 1, making quick clears of 1-2 through 1-8 possible that your other units can only dream of. As for his role, he is highly customizable - since he requires max MT on his Iron Knife forges to cleanly ORKO enemies throughout part 1, you can very easily adjust his offensive power to facilitate kills for weaker growth units. You can forge him a 5 MT Iron Knife and a 7 MT Iron Knife to get KOs on different enemy types. Whereas a unit like FE7 Marcus, for example, just obliterates everything in sight even with an Iron Sword, so in that respect, I don't see why the prejudice against Sothe is justified when he fits both qualities of a Jagen archetype that most players look for.

Now I, on the other hand, simply care about efficiency, and Sothe is pretty damn good at promoting that. It's not like deploying him even hurts you anyway - he ORKOs tigers in 3-6 and 3-13 for extra offense and finds items in 4-3, not to mention that he can just chip with his Iron Knife forges. And he's forced.

Eyvel is the worst simply because her potential is so stunted. You have her for 4 chapters at the beginning of the game, and get her back 2 maps from the end (by then, she's entirely useless). FE6 Marcus has longevity until about chapter 13 - 14 maps. FE7 Marcus is usable until around chapter 32, which is pretty much the entire game. FE10 Sothe has 8 maps, but his contribution is incredibly significant in that short time frame, plus he is forced after that anyway. FEDS Jagen lasted until chapter 17, which is basically the entire game. FE3 DS Arran seems to have extended utility due to passable personal bases, high weapon rank, and reclass.

I guess once I start recording my 0% LP of FE10, maybe more people will appreciate Sothe.

Edited by dondon151

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How? Why not just not use him? Forced to the map doesn't mean forced into battle.

I don-t use him for fighting. But there are chapters like 4-3 where he faces danger from DracoKnights. Its really annoying having to restart for a character you never wanted to field in the first place or trained to begin with.

Best: FE10 Sothe - he's at least useful until 5-E-1 as a chest-opener/hidden-item-finder, and maybe next chapter too with a Disarm/steal combo. Bane helps him do the Jeigan job of weakener well. And better than any Jeigan (Seth excluded), he's the best of his class (not that it's by much).

Disarm is unreliable. And the problem is that there are those of us that dont wish to train a unit to a high level just so it can survive endgame, where there are many enemies with long range weapons and Sothe wont be good at dodging unless he was given favoritism to get to a high level.

Edited by The Leaving Song

Best: Jeigan (Shadow Dragon), because Jeigan is the greatest Fire Emblem character of all time.

Worst: Eyvel. I'd rather not vote for her, but I have to choose someone for worst.

I don-t use him for fighting. But there are chapters like 4-3 where he faces danger from DracoKnights. Its really annoying having to restart for a character you never wanted to field in the first place or trained to begin with.

As long as you know what you're doing having Sothe avoid the DracoKnights is not difficult at all. Plus, you should have plenty of fliers available (including Rescue bots like Sigrun) to move him around in a pinch.

Disarm is unreliable. And the problem is that there are those of us that dont wish to train a unit to a high level just so it can survive endgame, where there are many enemies with long range weapons and Sothe wont be good at dodging unless he was given favoritism to get to a high level.

You don't even have to field Sothe anymore in Endgame if you're really that worried. And then even if he dies there you won't get a game over.

Once again I nominate Best/Worst Player Phase Battle Music (6)

Best:FE7!Marcus I soloed the game with him the first time I played FE.

Worst:FE3 Book 2!Alan

Which means he's still a Jagen, but he doesn't fall behind later on like others in the Jagen archetype.

If that were an excuse, Seth and Titania would be allowed since, the only reason they arent viable is that they are Ofaiyes and Jeigans. The reason Ofaiye wasnt listed is most likely because NM didnt play FE4 and doesnt know him.

As long as you know what you're doing having Sothe avoid the DracoKnights is not difficult at all. Plus, you should have plenty of fliers available (including Rescue bots like Sigrun) to move him around in a pinch.

Just now, I was at 4-3, and there was an instance where I had to rescue him and have Sigrun die. I had Oscar die in my first run too because of this.

But this was just bad planning of my part and not really a statement strengthing my arguement.

Edited by The Leaving Song

All the Arran hate makes me sad :(

In Lunatic, he's pretty much a godsend, when everyone else is getting their asses kiciked by the enemies and their high, powerful hits. Hell, Ch. 1 wouldn't be possible without him to aact as a meatshield. So, Arran gets his uses in earlygame, and still remains fine for good portion of earlygame.

Also, FE10 Sothe has the same deal with him. Their earlygames beat the shit out of everyone for a good portion, but later will begin to fade in combat, due to lackluster fighting stats(LOL28STRCAP). So the fact that Arran and Sothe both help very much in earlygame pretty much makes them not the worst jeigan types and when they start failing, just keep them out of the battlefield.

If that were an excuse, Seth and Titania would be allowed since, the only reason they arent viable is that they are Ofaiyes and Jeigans. The reason Ofaiye wasnt listed is most likely because NM didnt play FE4 and doesnt know him.

No, it's because the person who nominated this wanted to leave those two specifically out, it wasn't NM.

It was because Seth is a certified rapesolo machine, tested and approved, and I presume that Titania is as well, but I haven't played FE9.

Oifey has acceptable stats, but he doesn't even come close to the holy weapon dudes. though nobody does, except a certain killing machine named Lakche, her brother, and Elwind!Sety if Arthur got Holsety, whereas Seth and (again, I presume) Titania continue into being some of your best units until endgame if you don't feel like them soloing.

Marcus (FE7) is catergorized as an Oifey by some people since he's usable endgame if trained. He still counts.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Im not sure if leaving out a character because hes good is the reason, really. In previous polls like these there were broken characters picked, and that certainly wasnt a barrier to not choose them. Broken or not, they are still units.

Nominate Best/Worst Jeigan (FE9!Titania and Seth excluded).

It was first nominated in Round 45.

Wasn't my idea. You know I'd have voted Seth all the way.

Edit: However, I think Seth and Titania would be the only people voted and there wouldn't be a third place. I could be exaggerating, though. Maybe Jagen or Marcus could take third or something, or Oifey, but that's about it.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Im not sure if leaving out a character because hes good is the reason, really. In previous polls like these there were broken characters picked, and that certainly wasnt a barrier to not choose them. Broken or not, they are still units.

To be honest, if Seth and FE9!Titania weren't excluded, they'd have won in a landslide, and the only interesting part of this would then be the fight for third.

Best: FE11 Jeigan (H5 mode). Seriously, he's that needed for the first parts of the game. I'm only playing H2 and he's needed there. There's no question that the game is unbeatable without using him for several chapters.

Worst: FE3-2 Alan. Stats are barely better than your other characters and... yeah. No growths at all. At least Jeigan in FE11 has some 30 and 40 growths...

I again nominate best battle theme other than standard player phase/enemy phase themes.

Edited by Cocytus

How does being forced make him worse? It's not like he gets in your way (unless you just suck). Being forced just gives him more opportunities to help.

Anyway...

Best: FE10 Sothe.

Worst: Jeigan. If the game matters, FEDS.

Just now, I was at 4-3, and there was an instance where I had to rescue him and have Sigrun die. I had Oscar die in my first run too because of this.

But this was just bad planning of my part and not really a statement strengthing my arguement.

Seriously, I have Sothe get every single item in 4-3 and never fight. Sigrun and Tanith either don't fight at all or potshot once or twice. The three of them are an incredible item finding team. Sothe gets 100% or near 100% on every item and can go after 1 per turn thanks to the fliers. There should never be a moment in which they are in danger if you are even halfway competent at this map. It's similar to arguing that a healer sucks because you neglected to give them a staff. Not the exact same, I'll grant, but you are punishing a unit for your own incompetence.

Best: FE10 Sothe. How the hell else are you going to get through the early chapters. Plus he has unique theiving utility with OKAY combat ability later in the game. Most Jagens can't do shit late in the game. Sothe beats out Marcus because of theiving utility.

Worst: FE11 Jagen. Because, well, he has the bases of a level 5 Abel...and I'm being generous.

BEST is Jeigan for being a whirling deity of destruction. Inasmuch as anyone is a whirling deity of destruction in SDH5 Earlygame...Plus, he started the whole thing.

WORST is Arran for being an inferior imitation of the above. And because I don't like him.

Best: ...Oh geez. Ummm...Dagda can abuse scrolls and Capturing is incredibly vital in Thracia 776 so he no doubt gets my nomination. Yes Marty can also do it, but Dagda takes hits better in earlier parts of the game.

Worst: The original Jeigan. Not the FE11 one, the original. The one who can't Class Swap. The one you're better off handing his SIlver Lance to Sheeda for. Yup, that one.

Special mention of uncertainty goes to Alan, but he actually has quite a bit of use in FE3 (Chapter 2; where he's the only damn guy who can kill the Lady Sword Thief without getting shot to death) and FE12 (Swordmaster!Alan is pretty useful early on, actually...especially in Lunatic). He ends up useless shortly after however getting Sirius in both cases however.

I don't rate FE11 Jeigan so badly because he actually has growth rates (Whoamg) which actually makes him not so useless in higher difficulty runs.

Edited by Chainy

I'm actually going to go against my usual reactions here and go for BEST: FE10 Sothe. The other Jeigans never felt necessary at all to me ('cept Jagen in the very beginning of FEDS H5, but then I let him die because he turned worthless) but Sothe is actually salvageable - not great, but salvageable.

Worst: FE6!Marcus. w/e.

EDIT: I'm adding a nomination for Best PRF Weapon.

Edited by Integrity

Que? I read the list and didn't see it.

EDIT: AH, there it is. Nevermind. Somehow I didn't equate "Personal" with PRF and didn't know the two winners and didn't read Wolf Beil. :P

Edited by Integrity