Does anyone else absolutely love the narrator for this game?

Thanks to the narrator I learned how to properly pronounce the name Ameldha.

Must....resist...

"Jeffrey" is the proper pronunciation of the "Geoffrey". I've met planet of Jeffs who spelled their name "Geoff" and it was pronounced the same way.

What was this planet called?

Anyway, for the actual topic, I found the narrator strangely entertaining. It might be because I was just never used to that in FE games. His pronunciation of Geoffrey threw me off at first but, like Interceptor explained, there is not actually anything we can do about it, nor can we say it's truly wrong.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Narrator did throw me off with his pronunciation of Titania. I called her "TIE-TAIN-E-AH" (kinda like Midsummer Nights Dream) but Narrator says "TIT-AHNYA" and i was all "O_o". I dont know which is correct but i guess they both can be. On my first playthrough of the game, i anticipated the Narrator to pronounce several different country names and stuff just to see how they would be said. Im glad he said the name Nailah because i was all "NAIL-LA?" lol. Another one i was shocked that i was pronouncing correctly was Naesala. (I had been saying Sothe wrong for ages. I called him SOTH-EE")

On the topic of other voice actors, Shinon's was ace. I mean it was just perfect. Tibarn's was great too until his ULTIMATE NARM "TO WING BROTHERS! KEEP UP WITH ME IF YOU CAN!" Zelgius's voice was nice and i liked Ranulf's nonchalant manner. Skrimir's voice acting was cool too. It was hard for me to imagine that voice saying some of his non-voiced dialogue though. Dont get me started on Sephiran's voice. D: :facepalm: Or Mist's. Holy crap Mist's voice...kdsjfhdjsfh ear pain! I loved Boyd's "REAGAHHAHHHHH" though! lol!

According to the Fire Emblem Wikia: "Geoffrey (ジョフレ Jofure)"

By fireemblem.neoseeker: ジョフレ, Jefure

Google Translate makes it "Joffre"

The first one is the exact Romaji (Japanese with Roman characters) and it's pronounced "Joh-fu-reh." Interesting they didn't do Jofuri. Anyways, the "u" can be removed when it's changed to English, giving you "Joh-freh." The leap to "Jah-free" makes sense. Saying he failed it is wrong.

I don't see the big deal with Geoffrey's name. I would pronounce it like that. Then again, I'm from Argentina.

so..."Somewhere in South America" = "Somewhere in Argentina".

I learned something about you that you didn't put in your profile.

IIRC, the narrator failed more pronunciations beyond Geoffrey. I normally skip over the between chapter summaries anyway, so the last time I heard this was about... 3 years ago?

Your guy's pronunciation peeves are like when the time someone asked how to pronounce "Serenes", while the Kana was セリノス、people still insist their own. So no matter what you guys do, the narrator will fail at SOMETHING for you ._.

Same thing when you guys heard "Marcia" pronounced as "Marsha"... despite the Kana also supporting that.

The first one is the exact Romaji (Japanese with Roman characters) and it's pronounced "Joh-fu-reh." Interesting they didn't do Jofuri. Anyways, the "u" can be removed when it's changed to English, giving you "Joh-freh." The leap to "Jah-free" makes sense. Saying he failed it is wrong.

^I approve this post.

I honestly thing the narrator was one of the FEW good voice actors parts in this game. The English and Japanese voice acting for the cutscenes were equally as bad.

Tibarn's was great too until his ULTIMATE NARM "TO WING BROTHERS! KEEP UP WITH ME IF YOU CAN!"

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. That scene was lol because IMHO, the line didn't fit the "McJesus SMASH" personality Mageknight's Let's play of PoR has gotten me to see him as. Tibarn is manly, but... that line... no.

I laugh at it like how Brawl made Ike say "I fight for my friends" and "You'll get no sympathy from me" as a semi-meme now.

Zelgus was MAN on both versions though, THAT one I approved of.

Ignoring the "pet peeves" about pronunciations in this topic, I agree with Mageknight404's view of him on his Let's play....

"MANLY NARRATOR GO"

Edited by shadowofchaos

Actually, it's an obscure reference to a game that isn't really that good. I live specifically in Buenos Aires, if you care at all.

In my favorite sci-fi/fantasy series the main character hails from a future Buenos Aires called "Nessus," if you care at all.

Your guy's pronunciation peeves are like when the time someone asked how to pronounce "Serenes", while the Kana was セリノス、people still insist their own.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. The Japanese language is not the English language, and as such they have different pronunciation rules. It is not my fault that the translators chose not to directly transliterate proper nouns, nor is it my wish that they had done so.

As someone pointed out, if they had wanted to keep the Japanese pronunciations, they easily could have done so (Jofuri), but they probably decided that that's dumb and thus changed it to a similar-but-not-quite-the-same English word.

Same thing when you guys heard "Marcia" pronounced as "Marsha"... despite the Kana also supporting that.

"Marsha" is also a perfectly valid pronunciation of "Marcia"

http://www.behindthename.com/name/marcia

http://www.behindthename.com/name/marsha

Note that the first pronunciation for Marcia is identical to the only one for Marsha.

I honestly thing the narrator was one of the FEW good voice actors parts in this game. The English and Japanese voice acting for the cutscenes were equally as bad.

From what I recall, the VA was good (certainly better than any GM not named Ike or Shinon), I just felt his pronunciations were off.

Edited by Paperblade

"Marsha" is also a perfectly valid pronunciation of "Marcia"

Indeed. Like Marcia Brady said like: "Marsha Marsha Marsha!" I actually knew someone named Marcia and thats how it was pronounced. I still stand by Geoffrey being pronounced like Jeffrey. :) Even if Narrator pronounces it "Joffrey", its "Jeffrey" in my mind :)

That's what I meant... I pronounce it as "Marsha"... The Kana SUPPORTS that as well.

Some people were peeved that it wasn't being pronounced as "Mar-see-ah"

I think Paperblade's point was that it need not have anything to do with the Kana. Marsha is already perfectly acceptable just based off English.

Gotta say, though, that's the pronunciation I use. Though that could be laziness. Mar-see-ah is three syllables. Marsha only two. And it amuses me to mimic the Brady thing sometimes.

I think Paperblade's point was that it need not have anything to do with the Kana. Marsha is already perfectly acceptable just based off English.

Partially this and partially that it's a silly thing for them to complain about.