Why does Mario go to Hell when he dies?

he made a deal with the devil, now he can jump ridiculously high and blast fire from the palms of his hands.

or heaven is just mad at him for jumping on their turtle-angels...

I didn't think you were referrencing the way he died, but where he went when he died. In Super Paper Mario, he, Luigi, Bowser, and Peach are all 'killed', and the first three land in a place called the 'Underwhere', which is essentially game hell. Peach lands in the 'Overthere'.

Anyway, my therory is that Mario is a jerk who lets superstardom go to his head so he snubs his brother (which makes Luigi want revenge, adversely sending him to hell too) and ruthlessly destroys poor goombas etc, making him unfit for heaven.

I didn't think you were referrencing the way he died, but where he went when he died. In Super Paper Mario, he, Luigi, Bowser, and Peach are all 'killed', and the first three land in a place called the 'Underwhere', which is essentially game hell. Peach lands in the 'Overthere'.

Anyway, my therory is that Mario is a jerk who lets superstardom go to his head so he snubs his brother (which makes Luigi want revenge, adversely sending him to hell too) and ruthlessly destroys poor goombas etc, making him unfit for heaven.

I thought that

Dimentio specifically teleported them to the Underwhere, so their sins had nothing to do with it. I may be wrong, it's been a while since I've splayed SPM.

Anyway, relevant picture: koopas-and-goombas-and-they-call-us-the-badguys-artwork.jpg

I thought that

Dimentio specifically teleported them to the Underwhere, so their sins had nothing to do with it. I may be wrong, it's been a while since I've splayed SPM.

Yeah, I thought about that, but I don't think their sins were completely out of the picture, as Bowser ends up in a cage and Peach in the Overthere.

That's probably what Nintendo would like for us to think.

I wondered that too. Why DOES Mario and Luigi end up in the Underwhere? I mean the Pure Heart was originally in the Overthere so if Dementio wanted those fools to get it, he'd send them there! I dunno. Stupid Dementio and his Xanatos Gambits.

Unless Dementio knew Luvbi was in the Underwhere all that time and told Bonechill (the boss of that level) all about it so Mario and Weegie could first end up there so they could meet Jaydes. She fixes the Sammer Pure Heart after all.

Or Mario and Weegie are really assholes and Jaydes took in account that they needlessly kicked so much koopa ass over the years, they'd end up in the Underwhere.

Japan is not a Catholic country, they have different religion belief than USA or EU countries

Yeah, because Catholicism is the only religion that has Heaven and Hell. Heck, Catholicism seems to teach of "purgatory", so that's not even fully true. As for Protestant Christianity, there's some churches (and denominations like Jehovah's Witnesses) that are too scared to even mention Hell. Catholicism is the only denomination that I can think of that has the "mortal sin, venial sin" concept, though, which is probably what you're trying to get at. As far as other religions goes, Islam also has such a concept, if I have my facts straight. There's also Messianic Judaism, though it's more like Christianity that practices mainly Jewish traditions.

That said, every country has people practicing certain religions, be it legal or not (I hear that Chinese Christians must worship in secret). Most democracies, if I'm not mistaken, have no state religion, so not many countries can be called a country of a certain religion. My church (I'm Baptist, by the way) supports a missionary family that's having a degree of success in Japan. Even then, while not dominate, Christianity, be it of any denomination does exist in Japan, as does it in most countries.

All that said, I know nothing of Shigeru Miyamoto's, or any of the other developers' religious beliefs, so who knows what they had in mind. It's still a silly statement to assume that there are no Christians in Japan, be it Catholic or Protestant. It's like saying there are no followers of Shintoism in the U.S., albeit I never met one myself.

Edited by Kintenbo

Would that noot be a shortcut of sorts?

I dunno. Is heaven the last stage in kidicarus?

I've only played Of Myths and Monsters, the mediocre GB version.

EDIT-Actually I've played the first minute or so of the NES version on super smash bros brawl's demos.

Edited by SeverIan

Sorta. Its Paletuna's palace that Medusa infiltrated. I guess it is Heaven...

Then all you have to do is commit suicide and attack medusa from the rear to win in less than ten minutes.

• 5 years later...