Who's your favorite antagonist?

Darros

Liquid Snake (in MGS1), probably. Guy's the best played villain in all of video gaming (this is objective, don't disagree), and Cam Clarke's performance just heightens his already great role to new levels of greatness. There's not one qualm I have with how he was handled, and not one error I can find with the character. He's perfect and there's no denying that.

Honourable mentions include Rugal Bernstein, Wolfgang Krauser, Dracula, Sigma, Ganondorf and I suppose King Dedede, among others that I have forgotten.

Dimentio.png

Go Dimentio!!

Meh, i didnt really like him aside from his hilarious dialogue. Count Bleck was cooler in my opinion.

My favorite villains:

Magus. (Chrono Trigger) I like how he can be a good guy.

Kefka. (FF6) I dont care for FF games at all but this guy made 6 worth it.

Ashnard. I dig him. Hes just so crazed but pretty masterful.

Ganondorf. Just Ganondorf.

Ninetails. (Okami) While not the big bad of the game, she's pretty damn evil! Probably the most evil of the whole lot!

Lyon gets props for having two different character interpretations in the game.

Theres more. I just cant remember them now.

Myrdred, the Deceiver. Playing all sides against each other for his own mad ends, with an EXPLOSIVE finale.

Also, one of his epithets is 'Source of the Five Hundred Poisons'. C'mon, you GOTTA know how he got that one.

Majora. End of discussion.

Well ok, there's also Geese Howard. Guy starts a tournament in some small town, planning to turn the town into a cheesy tourist attraction for big cash while everyone's distracted, having to kill someone in the process. Minute someone comes up to put an end to that plan, he drags them up to his tower and kills them with his KUNG FU. Only way to beat the guy is to freaking drop kick him out of the top of his own skyscraper. HE SURVIVES, if only for a brief moment (he dies in the ambulence).

AND THEN HE COMES BACK AS A NIGHTMARE AND KILLS PEOPLE! HE'S DEAD AND HE STILL KILLS PEOPLE!

Geese might not be the deepest antagonist, but he's the most badass.

Honourable mentions include Rugal Bernstein, Wolfgang Krauser, Dracula, Sigma, Ganondorf and I suppose King Dedede, among others that I have forgotten.

I'LL CHIZZLE YOUR GRAVESTONE! SLEEP WELL!!

While I definitely dig the pure-evilness of Ganondorf, and Ashnard definitely has the crazy-but-slightly-genius evil thing down pat, I think I'm going to have to go with Axel from Kingdom Hearts (I know, I know, there's always that one KH fanboy <_< ).

Anyway, my reason is that he's the only character in pretty much any game I've played so far that is an extremely loyal friend and kind person, while also being a manipulative, sadistic, villain. In Chain of Memories for GBA, he was actually pretty scary, since you literally never had any idea what he was up to, and it was totally obvious that he was completely and utterly evil (he brutally killed his own colleague in cold blood just so that he could gain the trust of his enemy and eventually orchestrate their death). Then in KH2 and Days it was shown that he had a softer side, and was just extremely loyal to his friends - to the point of almost being evil. Plus, Quinton Flynn is a totally awesome voice actor. I've never found any line by Axel that sounds bad.

I don't know, I just really like that he is the only character that I literally cannot define as good or evil. Especially in video games, where Ganondorfs and Bowsers run the show, it's nice to get a real curveball. But Axel is an antagonist for all of Chain of Memories and most of KH2, so he definitely qualifies here.

Does Lloyd Reed count even though he's not evil? If he doesn't, then my favorite would be Magus from Chrono Trigger. I still like Ganondorf (Zelda), Dimentio(Super Paper Mario), Ninetales (Okami), and Alex (Golden Sun).

Edited by Proto

Yes, he counts. An antagonist is anyone who opposes the protagonist. They don't necessarily have to be evil. Likewise, a protagonist is anyone who is the main character of the story, and they don't necessarily have to be good.

I'd have to go with... Count Bleck. Other than him, I like Axel, Alex(Golden Sun), Ledah (Riviera), Bowser, King Dedede, Ganondorf, Magus, among others.

Edited by Ein Lanford

Kuja.

Combine shock, beauty, narcissism, and denial into one little package, and you've got him. I'd go on, but that would constitute as major spoilers.

Honorable mentions:

Asch (Tales of the Abyss) - Wonderful voice, somewhat overdone character design. . .and the rest is spoiler territory.

Heihachi Mishima (Tekken series) - You know you're doing things correctly as a villain when your entire family wants you dead (despite the fact that they can't agree on anything else).

[spoiler=Suikoden V]Sialeeds. She was willing to play both sides against each other (one of which was her precious nephew) in order to bring the Senate down. Furthermore, she doesn't leak too much of her plan out until she betrays the prince.

She also makes Euram piss his pants.

Caulder from the most recent Advance Wars. He just makes for a very impressive final battle.

Ashnard would have taken it, but he is too passive as an antagonist. Kuja is another good choice, but I find that Sephiroth is simply more menacing (even if as a boss, he is less impressive to fight due to utterly retarded environment and model design).

Frank_Fontaine.JPG

If you've ever played Bioshock, you'd understand why. I'm not going to ruin the story, though.

EDIT: These two should get honourable mentions:

:kefka:

Kefka Palazzo. Fucking manaic. He's evil just to be evil. He doesn't have some grand plan or scheme. He does shit to say that he did it and destroys towns because he's bored. Every other FF villain that you know of has some sort of a plan (well, Barthandelus is supposed to have a plan but he's just fucked up). But Kefka is... well, Kefka.

art-021.jpg

Bitch deserves to die... again.

Edited by Sue Sylvester

Hmmm?

[spoiler=Yes, I played Baten Kaitos]Shouldn't that be her grandpa? In the end, her body was simply a vessel. . .but she does deserve holy justice for making Kalas walk out on me!

[spoiler=TotA stuff]Asch isn't REALLY an antagonist IMO. Yes, he's a God-General, and he did fight Luke twice, but he helps the party most of the time.

Now, onto Tales fanboy mode...

Probably Dhaos (ToP). This guy was pretty much the good guy in the story, while Cless was the villain. Dhaos only wanted a mana seed for Derris-Kharlan, and he just used violent tactics to get it. Cless and company doomed Dhaos' homeland by killing him. Plus, WHAT THE HECK IS THAT.

Honourable mention: Richter Abend. Sexy voice, sexy summoning of Aqua (*flicks hair* You called, Master? :wub: ), and holy shit that demon form looks badass.

[spoiler=More TotA stuff]He puts Luke out of commisson, and that makes me happy. I know the true antagonist is elsewhere, but it's nowhere near as awesome as Asch. I'm tempted to do the map glitch, just so that I don't have to look at Luke's sprite.

[spoiler=TotA stuff again]Van also is kinda awesome. He tries to get Guy to spy on the party (sneaky bastard), he replicates Asch into Luke, he joins the organisation he hates the most just so he can gain influence and then he pretty much sits on a friggin flying island until Luke stabs him. Also, manly voice/beard.

Hmmm?

[spoiler=Yes, I played Baten Kaitos]Shouldn't that be her grandpa? In the end, her body was simply a vessel. . .but she does deserve holy justice for making Kalas walk out on me!

Duke Calbren isn't evil. But Melodia with that laugh... *shudders*

And I can't believe you've played Baten Kaitos. I'd also put Baelheit up there but... eh.

[spoiler=TotA stuff again]Van also is kinda awesome. He tries to get Guy to spy on the party (sneaky bastard), he replicates Asch into Luke, he joins the organisation he hates the most just so he can gain influence and then he pretty much sits on a friggin flying island until Luke stabs him. Also, manly voice/beard.

[spoiler=I miss that PS2]Screw the voice and beard, I like Asch's clean-cut look and voice better. Also, WTF at Van making his little sister angry.

I think that organization is part of the villain problem, and they're terrible at it. Luke just gave himself a haircut, so. . .

Duke Calbren isn't evil. But Melodia with that laugh... *shudders*

And I can't believe you've played Baten Kaitos. I'd also put Baelheit up there but... eh.

[spoiler=Go Mizuti!]It was Duke Calbren that resurrected Melodia, which turned her into. . .that. It's pretty obvious he didn't mean it like that, and once Melodia's back to her teal-haired self, she's not like that, either.

I only got to play the original. I'm still looking for Origins. Anuenue is too funny.

Didn't Melodia not die at the end anyway? Been a while since I played the first game but I thought she lived.

She definitely deserved to get killed, though.

[spoiler=I need a life]The thing that made her hair white died. Once she came back as herself, her hair changed color, and she was much more pleasant.

The effing second block puzzle deserves to die.

Edited by eclipse