Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 21: In Destruction's Wake

Phoenix

"That's it. You're dead," said Reika, hoping she could dodge Eric's blows in time as she stabbed him in the back. Unfortunately just when she withdrew her dagger and was about to do a backflip, Eric impaled her in the stomach, clean through and lifted her a little off the ground before throwing her down, bleeding to death.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2746502/

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2746503/

Reika attacks! (4,5,2) Hit! 3+5-1= 7-5= 2 damage! Eric 15/24

Eric attacks! (3,5,1) Hit! 5+7= 12-2= 10 damage! Reika 0/9

Reika gains 10 exp!

Edited by Red Magister

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Charlotte?" Arrin asked worriedly. He got up and ran to investigate. It quickly became clear what was going on: Eric apparently was not what he'd claimed to be. "No!" Arrin flung a bolt of lightning at Charlotte's attacker.

(5, 5, 2) Hit! Arrin does 6 damage! Arrin loses 1 HP to Daranau!

He was quickly countered.

(2, 5, 2) Hit! Eric does 10 damage!

Arrin staggered as Eric's blade rent through his shoulder. He tried to duck, but the swordsman swung again.

(2, 4, 3) Hit! Critical hit! Eric does 18 damage! Miracle activates!

Somehow, miraculously Arrin managed to block the blade with Daranau's magically-reinforced spine, fractions of an inch from his chest. The impact broke his arm, and he staggered further backwards.

"What the--" Kelas was immediately on her feet, stringing her bow, running towards the source of the noise. "Arrin, wait! Arrin!" Prematurely, she released her arrow.

(1, 2, 6) Miss!

She wasn't close enough for another decent shot... instead of trying for another shot, she ran to try and save Arrin. She'd only gone a few steps when the blade found her side.

(6, 3, 4) Hit! Critical hit! Eric does 12 damage!

As she fell forward, the blade twisted slightly, and she blacked out.

(4, 1, 4) Hit! Eric does 4 damage!

Saving roll: (5) Fail.

Kelas KO, Arrin 1/12, Kelas +10EXP, Arrin +10EXP, Eric 9/24

Edited by Kiryn

Approaching Critical Point

[spoiler=Roll]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2746546/

6,6,4 = Hit. 13-2 = 11 Damage!

Arrin is defeated.

Eric 9/24 HP

The traitor easily shrugged off the blows dealt to him, with inhuman calm. "Shanice? Heh, Shanice was an amateur. He met his death days ago. Crimson next, huh?" Whipping the flat of his blade, Arrin fell, to be dealt with later. "Next."

The Fargo

W-what the hell was this? Captain went down, along with nearly a half-dozen others. What the hell kind of monster was he? Even that big rock guy from earlier was wimpier! Fargo was too paralyzed to move.

A Paul

"Jeez, that's one hell of a swordshow. Sooooo glad I'm not down there getting mangled. I couldn't handle something like that in my old age haha!" Paul spoke to himself.

Esphyr drew her sword and lunged at Eric, no question in her mind that the man needed to be taken down, only for her strike to cut into the earth beside him and for her to be felled two swift strokes later. Altion, meanwhile, lowered his lance and spurred his steed on to run Eric through. The lance struck Eric on the shoulder firmly, yet did not put him down for the count. Eric quickly retaliated with a swift blow that cut across Altion's chest, followed by a second strike aimed towards his back. Yet, instead of felling Altion, the blow struck the gathered armor as it rested behind Altion, glinting off it and leaving Altion safe.

Esphyr attack: Miss. ( http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2746587/ )

Counter attacked for ( http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2746602/ )

Doubled for ( http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2746606/ ) More than enough.

Altion attacks for ( http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2746623/ ) HIT for (3+1 (WTA) + 6 - 5 defense = 5 damage to Eric.

Eric counters for 5 damage ( http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2746623/ )

Eric doubles for Critical damage ( http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2746636/ )

Altion makes saving roll: ( http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2746653/ I totally forgot about the saving roll at first))

Esphyr is down, Altion survives with 1 HP. Eric has 4 left

Edited by Snowy_One

Helios was slightly late to the scene, arriving as person after person was getting cut down by... Eric? Helios blinked in disbelief, but only for a moment. With carnage like that, there was no questioning what had to be done. This group needed a hero to see them trough this, and since nobody else was capable of the job, that meant it fell upon his shoulders to get it done.

"HELLSETY!" he roared, conjuring the crimson wind from the hidden recesses of his mind, and arcing its deadly blades of energy towards the traitor in their midst. His aim was true, and the blow was strong, the customary twinge of recoil as it sapped him was of no consequence. He watched as the solid hit knocked Eric to the ground, and then he closed his eyes in triumph, savoring it for a minute before he would rush to help Tessa take care of the wounded. Well the wounded that mattered.

"No need to thank me, just doing my jo―"

He never finished his sentence, opening his eyes to find his white coat, slowly sprouting blood flowers around the blade that had impaled him.

"I-Impossible..." the wind mage gasped, before sinking to his knees and falling face first into the mud.

[4,6,5]: Helios Hits! 4 damage

Enemy Phase is autowipe, didn't bother rolling.

Eric: 5/24

Irina rolls 5,6,4

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2746655/

HAWKEYE ACTIVATED

HIT 9 vs 8 Evade = HIT

DMG 12 vs DEF 5 = -8 hp

Eric hp 0/24

Irina hp 15/15

Irina exp +20

:/

WYVERN STRIKE

As Eric cut down another ally, Irina quickly launched a surprise attack of her own! She found an opening and decided to put her flanking experience to good use. Iso saw his chance as well and decided to help. Summoning up a quick flame in his hands he took an offensive stance that drew Eric's attention. Just as Iso prepared to launch his attack, Irina closed in. Iso dispersed the flames with a cocky grin on his face causing Eric to raise an eyebrow.

Irina: Take this, you traitor!

With no time to react, Eric took a direct hit from Irina's lance and fell back! He survived the blow and rolled onto his feet grabbing his fresh wound and sheathing his sword. That was it, any more fighting could be the end of him, powerful or not.

30 second time skip

Irina: ... thanks, Iso.

Her brother nodded and then rushed over to Kelas aiming to make sure she was alright.

Irina: I'm out of vulneraries .... (Why did this have to happen?)

OOC: CC'd Eric since Snike's not back yet.

Edited by Phoenix

Barley holding onto consciousness, Reika tried to pull herself forward for aid but couldn't. Moving her arms hurt. Her vision was swimming and blackness started creeping in. Nausea filled her, the severing effects kicking in.

"Just...as I said....you can't....trust anyone...

First Aiya, then Derek, and Luc, and so many others. One by one, incredibly skilled fighters―better with a blade than she was at any rate―falling before the foe. How was this even possible? Eric was just one man, and had never been this way in the past. She recalled back on the numerous instances of near-fatal injury the swordfighter had sustained in the past, and the many occasions she or others had had to heal him from the brink of death. This... this had to be something else. The preponderance of evidence, as well as her stubborn refusal to accept that someone she'd travelled with for so long could have been maintaining such an effective charade kept her firm in the belief that this was merely something wearing the form of the Jerdonian.

However, the sight of all her allies falling filled her will a different sort of dread as well. She'd managed to avoid a bloody fate herself, but had it merely been a fluke? Would it be impossible for her to continue to defend Charlotte from the man if he got serious, or to defend Aiya, or anyone else close enough she could cover for? Or if he managed to get weakened enough, would she be able to drive him off? Never very confident in her martial skills, having only used them in practice or as a desperate last resort, her heart wavered.

Even so... Even so! If she couldn't fight, there were still things she could do, and the troubadour intended to do them. No more dereliction of duty, not now at least. While the sword-demon was distracted by incoming waves of her friends, she took advantage of his lack of attention to tend to those she could reach. Trevor had bolted already, so that cut her effective range considerably, but...

First, came making sure Charlotte was still stable, with the casualties currently mounting up, keeping a fellow healer in the best condition possible became suddenly that much more important. Next was Aiya, who had been cut down barely a couple of yards away. The stomach wound was dire, and it was a wonder she hadn't been disemboweled, but pressing her staff against the other woman, Tessa reached out to The Lady with her pleas, and the response was swift. Briefly lifting the chain shirt to check, she noted that when the rain washed away the blood there was no longer any new blood flowing out, which would simply have to be good enough for now.

The course of the battle had drifted slightly, as the man masquerading as Eric was dancing about the field, taking on new challengers as they appeared, bringing the fight to them, rather than the other way around more often than not. This left free passage, allowing the healer to make her way to various of the other downed with impunity, though her tension was high as she strove to keep her alertness to the maximum. It simply wouldn't due to be struck down from behind while tending someone. Not when all the other healers had fallen. Even though the cleric would awaken with time, Tessa felt that she would be better off resting than having to exert herself on healing duties. While she'd never been quite so bad off as the princess was right now, she knew the kind of toll stave magic could take on you, even while healthy, was not something to be taken lightly.

Pary was still too close to the action for the moment, so she had made her way over to Heintz as Reika was currently challenging the swordsman. The quiet man was in bad shape, but from the looks of the battle that would be par for the course. She mouthed another prayer, and the bulb atop her staff flashed as the spell released. Firmly squeezing his hand, he had always been a friend, she told him, "Hold strong, I'll be back later. Wait for me, or for someone else, don't try to move yourself yet."

The other thief hadn't held out for long, though, and she had barely finished when Reika fell as well. A glance told her that the nomads were engaging him now, and the path to Pary was clear, so she took her chance, and started to work on the old priest. When the cry of "Arrin, wait! Arrin!" reached her ears, her hands shook and she stopped moving. A moment, then two, before she forced her will back into action. She couldn't bring herself to turn to look, she needed to focus on what she was doing for the moment. But worry kept her from operating at full effectiveness, and when she'd finally finished, she turned to the battle to see Irina driving Eric off.

No more time wasted, she rushed over.

"Arrin, Kelas!?" she cried out, and slowly started in on yet more aid, the rain conveniently hiding her tears.

Thunder

The scary sounds had stopped and that foul thing had gone, but Thunder would not stop.

The Fargo

Again and again people fell in combat against Eric, but eventually one of the group had managed to do enough damage to force him to retreat. Fargo sat dumbfounded about the whole situation. What were they supposed to do now? Half of them were barely alive. There was no way that the little miss could save everyone as she ran around trying her best. Right, he had to help.

Fargo kicked his horse forward and up to the little miss. He slid down and rummaged through his bags, there were plenty of medical supplies. "Here, I can help," he volunteered.

A Paul

"Not bad," Paul remarked. He glanced over at the nearest tree branches leading in the same direction Eric had ran. "Well, well, here's hoping I'm not too bad off to catch him." Paul chuckled and began jumping from branch to branch with tremendous speed. If he wanted any chance of catching the bastard he'd need to skirt dangerously close to the group, but they were all half-dead already and if they took more notice of black among trees than they really should have realized something was wrong with the swordboy earlier.

"If you don't have any vulneraries, take them off the bodies of the wounded." Morgan said to anyone who was around, applying a vulnerary to Arrin, stabilizing him for the moment at least.

Charlotte groaned and sat up a little.One minute I was talking to Sir Eric, the next everything went dark... She saw the bodies scattered around her in various stages of disarray. They need healing she thought, but her body refused to get up for the time being. Who did this? I remember a blue-haired man with a sword attacking me...Alphonse? He and Daneka must have attacked she reasoned before drfiting back into unconsciousness.

Tessa turned her head up at the voices, the other knight from Directus, the one she'd first parleyed with was asking how he could be of assistance, and Morgan had come over, taking care of Arrin in her stead. Shifted over to work on Kelas, she paused for a moment as she replied. "Fargo, thank goodness. Ummm... I think we're probably fine here for now, but you could probably see about tending to Alferis, or to Reika perhaps? Oh, or maybe you could ride after your boss. I'm not sure if the good count's horse will stop on its own... well of course he would eventually but..."

She left the implications unsaid as she trailed off. Finishing lamely, "Though, that's probably just needless worry on my part. At the moment, I'm not sure which I'd suggest, I didn't clearly see the severity of any injuries, making triage difficult at best. But there are more people you could help if you stayed close by, so maybe that should be the priority?"

Everything was dark, cold, silent. She tried to look around but could not more. "I guess this is it, then... did I make it to Arrin?" she asked the void. She thought: she probably hadn't. "Dammit... can't go just yet! Arrin! I've got to--"

All that she really managed to get out, though, was a mumble of "...Arrin..." As her blood mixed with the rainwater on the ground, Kelas lay still.

After what seemed like hours to her, or possibly seconds, she found a light pulling her away from the abyss. "Is Arrin all right?" she mumbled, then passed out.

---------------------------------------------------

Arrin stood on the edge of a similar void. "What's--"

He was broken out of the darkness, though, as the vulnerary did its work, closing the ragged wounds enough to keep his remaining blood contained. Instead of death, he settled for mere unconsciousness.

---------------------------------------------------

Tobe had ignored the girl after that, scooting further under the belly of the horse he hid under. That one wasn't to be trusted, probably.

As the adults turned to run towards some commotion or other, he peeked out curiously, but immediately hid: they were fighting something. "What kinna crazy people..." As the fight escalated, he clambered onto Amari's back. He couldn't stay here, the man with the sword would get him... "Come on, horse, come on..." He banged his heels against Amari's sides, trying to get her to move. He flopped forwards, burying his face in Amari's mane. He couldn't watch this, didn't want to see what was coming... it

Amari was torn. So this was a monster, too? She couldn't bring herself to move closer, but Kelas was in danger... but so was this small human, and small things were to be protected... Kelas...

As Kelas fell she made her decision. She couldn't help here. She turned and ran, carefully balancing the small human on her back. Kelas was gone, she couldn't stay.

After a few minutes of running, though, she could tell that the monster was leaving. Maybe... She wheeled around and galloped back. Sure enough, it was gone... Kelas was still alive, barely... Amari stood and fretted while Tobe sobbed out his terror into her neck, skinny arms clinging to her tightly.

Edited by Kiryn

The Fargo

"Boss? Ah, I completely forgot about Captain! Gahhhh!" In a panic Fargo detached the bags on his horse, remounted and went off after Luc. But there was no chance to catch Thunder unless the horse stopped though.

Thunder

It was getting harder to run. The ground was broken, and it was hard to see. Thunder slowed. He was far enough away from the foul thing to be safe.

"What happened here?!" "This group again?!" the exclamations rose at the same time from the two sources: one from the sky, the other from the south.

Tas landed, both he and Namid looking about the battlefield in shock. (What's happened? Where...? Who's injurred? What's happened since I left? Is Irina well? I don't see... This is so confusing...)

Namid had returned to the campless campsite not long after Lev had replied to Tas (and hadn't caught a meal, much to Namid's annoyance). After that it didn't take long to rig Namid and find the others, especially with Lev leading them. The hatchling was curled up in Tas' arms, wrapped in his riding coat and wondering if the smell of all this blood meant he would be fed soon.

Beau didn't need to be asked this time. He went right to work, switching out his physic staff for his heal staff and closing up the wounds of the nearest of the apparently near-fallen. (This group has to be the luckiest unlucky bunch of sellswords I have evern encountered...) The one he happenedf to be healing was the mage from before, though he'd never caught his name. Not wanting to hear him order him around again, Beau swiftly moved on to the next dying person.

Late Return

As Krinkov came down and landed, Levski hopped off and rushed over to Irina who was standing their with her lance barely grasped. Everyone else was down or being tended to it seemed. When he reached her, he put his hands on her shoulders hoping to find out what happened.

Lev: Irina, are you alright?!

Irina: I'm fine. Not a scratch on me.

Her voice, it was filled with sadness. Lev sighed and then shook it off. He had to be the one to not panic at a time like this. She could do what she felt she needed to.

Lev: Okay, what happened?

Irina: ... Eric. He turned on us. He attacked Charlotte and then turned on the rest of us. I scored a decent hit with Iso's help and he ran off. He's a demon.

Lev: Oh man ... what a player.

Irina cringed all of a sudden. She was beginning to feel awkward about the whole thing.

Irina: Why did that have to happen, any of it? First a demon sits on me in a truth or dare game, and then one passes itself off as you and kisses me.

She shivered.

Irina: Stop touchiiiing meeee, you FREAKS! URGH!!!)

Lev: (... and then there was the deal with Proxima where they kept trying to bind you in your sleep. I wonder if you know about that yet? ... not a good time to bring it up though I guess.) It's alright. You're getting better if you beat one into retreat. That's good news. Even more good news. I found Tas.

She raised her head a little and smiled.

Irina: That is good news. Thanks for leaving me behind too. If I had gone with you, Iso or someone else could have been killed.

Lev chuckled and leaned back with his arms crossed.

Lev: It's like I know when danger's coming and have it all planned out. Heheh.

Irina: Don't get cocky, he nearly demolished us and we really could have used your help.

Lev: Can't I gloat a little?

Irina: ... no.

Lev: Fine, grabs some vulneraries out of Krin's bags and let's help out.

Edited by Phoenix

The next one Beau got to was slumped over on a trembling, fear-struck horse. After a moment of simply standing there, the young priest looked at his staff, blinked, then returned his gaze to the man. After annother moment, he switched out for his physic staff in case the horse bolted mid-heal or was further spooked by the unfamilliar priest. Thus he proceded to heal the one he didn not know was named Altion.

Backing Off

".... Heheheh, Bravo, Bravo," Eric said, clapping as he rose to his feet. "It appears that I was a bit careless. You win today, Zaftrans." With a grin, the traitor retreated into the woods, easily eliminating any chance of pursuit. His laugh echoed into the night, lasting for seconds despite the rain.

After a few minutes, the traitor made it out of the woods, where a familiar demon was waiting.

"Could've wiped them out, you lazy ass," Eric said to Ruby. "Any news on our associate?"

"None," the fire demon replied. "And watch your mouth."

"I took sixty-percent. Tell me you could do better alone. Ugh, we'll have to deal with it later. I took too much damage."

Not Again

The campsite - or battleground - was rather quiet, with most people dead or dying. Alex stepped off of the red wyvern, then went immediately to help. He spotted the masked man- rather odd, she thought of him days before, - bleeding out. It was lucky that she had been wearing her traveling cloak, the Comet remarked, as she tore off long strips of it, in an effort to staunch the bleeding. It wasn't looking good... Whoever had done this was an expert.

Edited by Snike

Once the horseman was treated enough, Beau switched staves again and began healing a nearby woman, making a mental note to heal the next-closest individual. Everyone seemed to be pitching in, so he wouldn't interrupt their work. He'd just follow the path of broken bodies until he reached its end.

Meanwhile, Tas was recovering from his initial shock, trying to think of something useful to do. Then it hit him. Dismounting, Tas began to instruct, "Namid, spread your wings and make a barrier like this." To help Namid understand, Tas spread out his arms, bending them a little and leaned forward a bit. Namid looked at Tas perplexedly for a moment, then followed his example, making a shelter from the rain with his large wings. "Great. Now stay there," Tas instructed as he began unstrapping the soeaked bundle of eggs. When he was done, he placed the bundle and the hatchling (still wrapped in Tas' coat) against Namid for warmth. He held out a hand, indicating for Namid to stay, then ran off to try to find the other wyvern riders to get them to ahve their wyverns help in a similar way.

Thunder

It was normal again. Just the sound of rain around him. It was peaceful. A yank. He was to move. Thunder beat his hoofs and was moving back to where he had come from. The Luc wanted it, so it was.

The Fargo

"Faster, faster!" Fargo yelled trying to eek any more speed from his already very tired horse. "C'mon, you'll never catch Thunder that way!" At the mention of the other horse's name it appeared. "Woah!" Fargo yanked the reigns of his horse and stopped. Thunder did the same. That meant Captain was still alive!

"Captain! You alright?" Fargo asked a dumb question. Fargo heard a grunt in response. That was more than enough. "C'mon Captain," Fargo pulled is horse along-side and dragged the other man off. He had a pair of wounds in his chest that he had been holding back with his shield. "Gotta hurry." Fargo ushered his mount back to the others. With nothing else to do, Thunder followed the Luc.

A Paul

"Bah," he had lost the trail. And he was actually trying for once. Damn, what was a demon of this caliber still doing alive? He'd have to recommend increased measures to Richtor later. With a sigh Paul began the process of walking back through the trees. Why did disaster always have to come in spurts?

When Fargo had headed off, Tessa took a brief moment away from her duties to hug Morgan. "Thanks for helping out with him here," she gestured to Arrin, "And I'm glad that you're still okay."

A mumble from her patient of "...Arrin... Is Arrin all right?" brought her back to the reality of the situation however, and she hurried back to the task at hand. Brushing aside some of the loose hair that had fallen across the nomad's face, Tessa could see that it was fraught with worry over her younger brother, even in the depths of unconsciousness. Rolling the plainswoman onto her good side, she inspected whether her work before had been adequate, and finding that it was, she pulled her in for an embrace, whispering in her ear, "Arrin should be alright. You will too. But please, try to take care of yourself too sometimes," before gently lowering her back to the ground.

She then turned to the boy in question to take another good look. Morgan's vulnerary had done its work, and she certainly hadn't spoke false to his sister, but the young mage could still stand to be in better shape. While the bleeding had stopped, there wasn't anything mere medicine could do about the lad's broken arm, so she set herself to the task of aligning it, then performing a mending spell to knit it back together. When that was done, she gently caressed his cheek briefly before standing.

Once again she turned to the shaman, asking her close friend, "Can you please keep an eye on these two for me? I should probably go off to the others now, there shouldn't be... I hope there's not too many left, but..." Looking up again across the battlefield she spied an unfamiliar face looming over someone... Momentary panic set in, and she started to race in that direction, but uneven ground betrayed her, and she slipped in the muck before having even gone three paces. From on her hands and knees she saw the comforting glow of a healing spell, and her immediate concern was alleviated.

A bit shakily, she regained her feet, standing in thought for the moment. Not an emergency or a foe, but rather a new ally? Or if not an ally, at least... well, at least for now, nothing to worry over. Heaving a bit of a weary sigh, she looked around more carefully, trying to figure out where to head to.

"Err, right." Morgan awkwardly replied to Tessa before moving on to Reika.

"Speaking of demons infatuated with you," Morgan began to reply to Irina while applying a vulnerary to Reika, "Shanice has an excellent chance of being alive, as well as the fire demon. Remember, Eric is the one who supposedly killed them, so his word is suspect at best."

Tristan and Bellerophon landed on the scene, the pegasus breathing heavily. Tristan looked upon the bodies laying on the ground What happened here? So much blood... His head and stomach felt rather woozy at the sight. He took the opportunity to throw up in a nearby bush.

Edited by -Cynthia-

"Augh!" Reika yelled out, the pain fully getting to her, the vulnerary only relieving it slightly. Everything was swimming, everything started going black. People were little more then white outlines....her eyes rolling back, unconsciousness overtook Reika.

Meanwhile Alferis was still in clearly awful shape. While Alex was treating his wounds, they were critical and it was clear that a specialist was needed, despite a vulnerary being applied.

Edited by Red Magister

"Irina! Good to see you again!" Tas greeted as he ran up to Irina and Lev, relieved that she was alright, "Look, I don't know what happened here, but I don't think I need to know until everyone's been taken care of. I'm not a healer, but I came up with a way to make a sort of shelter." Tas pointed over to where Namid was holding his stance, quite confused as to why Tas was having him do that. "Right now the hatchling and eggs were there. It's not much, but wyvern wings make good tents, even if I would rather the wyvern have decent shelter as well. They can all take turns holding their wings up. Aiya's bull would be great for this, I think." He was a little nervous about his proposition, but it was what the couriers did if they were on a long flight and bad weather happened to hit.

Beau finished healing the woman and took a new inventory of his surroundings. The two he was going to heal were already being tended to. So, he walked along towards the forested area until sighting a man on the ground who had yet to be healed. He seemed to be the last one, so he walked over and applied his staff.

The Possibilities

Irina: Shanice might still be ... alive? Oh no ... I need to tell Iso-

Just then Tas showed up offering a sheltering suggestion. She was distracted of course, but wouldn't let it show. She didn't want to worry him.

Irina: I don't know if we still have those tents but in case we don't, the wyverns could help, I guess. I don't feel good about making them do that all night though ... wait. Tas, you're okay right? You and the wyverns are okay?