What mechanics would you change from previous FEs if you could?

Darros

So explain changes you would add into previous games.

FEDS - Supports, Minerva triangle attacking, Better pre promotes.

FE8: Sidequests.

FE7: Kent/Sain/Lyn triangle attack.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So explain changes you would add into previous games.

FEDS - Supports, Minerva triangle attacking, Better pre promotes.

FE8: Sidequests.

FE7: Kent/Sain/Lyn triangle attack.

Seconded for FE11

Also, the AI for recruitable units that comes towards you. Would be better if they recruit themsleves after the other enemy units attack. R.I.P Xane

FE4- Fixed RNG. 2 RN system might be nice, but at least changed so that it doesn't run out of RNs before generating more.

FE6- Different victory conditions.

FE7- No gaidens that force you to slow down to unlock them. (19xx mostly, but sort of 23x as well.)

FE8- Weaken Seth. A longer game would be good too.

FE9- Weaken Titania, and skills can be reassigned.

FEDS- Only one warp staff.

And for all of them, no desert chapter. I really hate those.

FE10 - Bring the old, good support conversations back.

FE11 - The fact that no one can get def/res if they're a magic/strength user. :| Support conversations.

I'll just have to go with this. Also, I'd like to add that I'm particularly agitated with the fact that RD forces so many characters on you at times. (Case in point: I don't even use Ranulf much, if at all, and he's forced for most of Ike's chapters after he joins.)

Edited by Ein Lanford

This is more of a rant on anything I'd change in existing games but hey, it's still topic relevant.

FE8: Fewer monsters. Anything below Tarvos/Maelduin was little more than a pest, particularly the Cyclops: they're no real threat (low accuracy) but have a lot of HP. Entombed are the same except they are pests and generally appear en masse. Have some skirmishes with humans!

FE9: Ilyana and Mia need unique second tier models, sharing with Calill/Lucia is just wrong.

FE10: Proper support conversations and better character development. See the start of Path of Radiance for how to give characters who can die fully speaking roles then do it 3 times or so. Also, Gaiden managed to squeeze more characterisation out of recruitment and epilogue text for a lot of it's cast than most characters got in the entirety of Radiant Dawn. Credit to Seph1212's LP.

FE11: Make def/res able to grow in all classes, even if it's slowly (bandwagon yay). Also proper gaiden chapter requirements and more than one chapter objective.

Edited by Byte2222

FE6: Nomad Triangle Attack, characters not named Roy being able to get different endings. (The girls that can be paired with Roy can get special endings with him, but not with anyone else.)

FE7: Rewards given for playing efficiently, no slowdown requirements for gaidens (mainly Ch. 19x2H), trial maps, ending CGs that you can get within the S-rank turncount don't feature Eliwood, Hector, and Lyn in the same picture, Eliwood X Ninian, Hector x Lyn, or, to some extent, Eliwood x Lyn.

FE8: Actual sidequests, more chapters, actual difficulty.

FE9: Availability of Maniac Mode to non-Japanese copies of FE9, reassignable skills.

FE10: No characters getting derailed, actual support conversations and character development, more character availability for several characters (I'm looking at you Tormod!).

FE11: Actual support conversations, no death requirements for sidequests whatsoever.

Edited by LittleAl

FE5: No Capture! No Fatigue!

FE6: Reinforcements at the end of Enemy Phase! Save the Beginning crap for Hard Mode!

FE7: Trial Maps

FE8: Gaiden Chapters

FE9: Gaiden Chapters

FE10: Real support conversations and not so many forced units. And Trial Maps.

FE11: Support conversations and less ridiculous gaiden requirements.

FE6: Move units before starting a chapter, faster supports in general, FE7 or FE9 support system, give bosses their own palettes.

FE7: Kent/Sain/Lowen triangle attack. Get Rath & Heath earlier. Steel swords give 2 WEP. (for all GBA games). S Ranked weapons that give bonuses. Go back to FE6 tome weights.

FE8: Replay chapter option, supports for CC characters. Go back to FE6 tome weights.

FE9: Gaiden chapters, make Rolf start out stronger. Mercenaries and Heroes.

FE10: Better character balance, add Berserkers.

FE11: Rescuing and canto.

FE7: Bases/world map travel (as in FE8). Also, equip/unequip outside of battle. Thieves not needing lockpicks/lockpics having higher number of uses. FE9-styled unit inventory. FE9-styled promoting.

FE8: Lockpick issues as seen in FE7. L'Arachel wants paragon skill. FE9-styled unit inventory. FE9-styled promoting.

FE9: Unlimmited ammount of turns to kill the Black Knight. Also, Soren gets to go with Ike to kill the Black Knight. And no one attacking Mist durring BK fight. Other than that, more secret books/arms scrolls/occult scrolls.

FE10: FE9-styled support conversations. None of this stupid fighting your other army stuff. I like the mechanics of this game for the mostpart.

FE11: Support conversations. Also none of this class-switching stuff (besides via promotion). FE9-styled promoting. Marth getting a class-up at some point (preferrably getting a horse). Other units besides Marth and Caeda being about to recruit other units. Other people besides Marth being able to visit villages. Caeda exsisting needs to stop.

FE12: (I have not played this yet but from what I've read...) All of FE11's complaints + more options for female My Units (I want to be a female mercenary dangit).

FE6: Move units before starting a chapter, faster supports in general, FE7 or FE9 support system, give bosses their own palettes.

You mean at the chapter preparation screen? I thought you could do that. Just select the unit who you want to move. Or is it something else? I agree on the other stuff you said about FE6 though.

Well, I could say a lot about every FE I've played, but I'll just say the biggest problem I have with every game.

FE4:

Allow CelicexYuria to happen legitimately. People in Jugdral are fucked up anyway. >_>

Balance the weapons even if it means a complete overhaul, to make Axes and Fire (and to a lesser extent even Thunder) magic actually worth using. Also, Weapon EXP would be nice, but still limiting the max Rank by holy blood. That would mean they'd need more magic tomes, obviously.

FE6:

Make Saul a goddamn Monk! Three healers by Chapter 6 is completely overkill and not having an unpromoted Light user makes Aureola useless because Ellen and Saul are NOT getting to S Light easily. I mean, Light magic already sucks as it is.

FE7:

LET ME SKIP THE TUTORIAL ON MY FIRTS PLAYTHROUGH GODDAMNIT

Again it's about magic. The tome weights are RIDICULOUS. They are as heavy as weapons, if not more, and spellcasters have low Con as it is. If enemies in this game didn't suck, it'd be hard to use Mages. Also, Anima still roflstomps Light like in FE6, and would stomp Dark too if not for Luna, one of the biggest gamebreakers in FE history.

So basically, reduce weights, make Light magic good, and nerf Luna but NOT like FE8 did. Around 80 Hit and 0 Crit is good enough! After all, only Canas can use it (btw another Shaman would be nice as well).

FE8:

Remove Seth as a playable character but still let us appreciate his hotness in the storyline.

Make the game harder. Enemies in FE6 were not that strong, but your units didn't have really good growths either so the game was challenging enough. In FE7, the enemies were a bit weaker and your units a bit stronger, but the game wasn't laughable. Now, FE8 has ridiculously strong people even outside of Seth (Gerik wub.gif), and the enemies are still as weak as they were before, and the monsters are even weaker. Come on.

FE11:

Fewer Warp staves? *shot*

Fix those character/class growths so Reclassing can be actually FUN. I want people to not suck outside their starting class (well, most people suck IN their starting class...) or at least have enough differences in the growths to make a difference in most cases. I was so excited about Reclassing, only to find out most people are better off in their original classes! I mean, I don't want everyone to have Wolf wub.gif and Sedgar's versatility, but still.

Edited by Axie

FE7:

LET ME SKIP THE TUTORIAL ON MY FIRTS PLAYTHROUGH GODDAMNIT

Again it's about magic. The tome weights are RIDICULOUS. They are as heavy as weapons, if not more, and spellcasters have low Con as it is. If enemies in this game didn't suck, it'd be hard to use Mages. Also, Anima still roflstomps Light like in FE6, and would stomp Dark too if not for Luna, one of the biggest gamebreakers in FE history.

So basically, reduce weights, make Light magic good, and nerf Luna but NOT like FE8 did. Around 80 Hit and 0 Crit is good enough! After all, only Canas can use it (btw another Shaman would be nice as well).

To be honest, I still think that Anima's better than Dark, as is Light, as far as FE7 goes, because unless it's a mage, enemy resistance sucks, badly, and that's really the best aspect of Luna - negating enemy resistance. Which means Luna only really stands out against other magic users. And it's not as though WTA over anima users means much of anything... However, I do agree that tome weights are ridiculous, especially when you get to C rank and higher (after all, there's a reason I don't touch tomes above D rank in FE7 and FE8).

Edited by Ein Lanford

Luna also has 95 Hit (best Hit for a tome tied with Lightning, lolLuce and lolEreshkigal) and 20 Crit (best Crit for a tome by a mile, again second only to lolLuce). And while most enemies have crap Resistance, that usually means Luna has as much "might" as Shine or maybe even Thunder. Also you should be killing common enemies with Flux anyway.

The thing is, Luna trivializes boss-killing by piercing their good Res, bypassing the Avoid bonus of a throne with its amazing Hit, and being able to net a lot of funny OHKOs with its high Crit rate. Even with 12 Wt, costing 150G per hit and having only one character able to use it, it makes Dark as valid as Anima by itself. Well, I guess Nosferatu has some value as well.

Not to mention Luna's battle animation is more badass than most other spells gee_wiz_emoticon.gif

Edited by Axie

Luna also has 95 Hit (best Hit for a tome tied with Lightning, lolLuce and lolEreshkigal) and 20 Crit (best Crit for a tome by a mile, again second only to lolLuce). And while most enemies have crap Resistance, that usually means Luna has as much "might" as Shine or maybe even Thunder. Also you should be killing common enemies with Flux anyway.

The thing is, Luna trivializes boss-killing by piercing their good Res, bypassing the Avoid bonus of a throne with its amazing Hit, and being able to net a lot of funny OHKOs with its high Crit rate. Even with 12 Wt, costing 150G per hit and having only one character able to use it, it makes Dark as valid as Anima by itself. Well, I guess Nosferatu has some value as well.

Not to mention Luna's battle animation is more badass than most other spells gee_wiz_emoticon.gif

Well, that's true, but I'm not exactly sold on a tome that basically requires you to not get screwed in order to truly shine, which is what Luna essentially is with the whole Att = Mag thing.

See above. Not to mention that you essentially admitted it was situational. Also, with Nosferatu nerfing the user's AS considerably in FE7 and FE8, I'd say that Nosferatanking has lost much of its appeal from FE6. And it doesn't help that the characters who can use dark magic aren't exactly speedsters...

Edited by Ein Lanford

Oh, Luna IS situational, but it's EXCEEDINGLY good in the situations you should be using it. For me it's enough to justify using Canas, even if I do agree with you that Anima magic is way better otherwise.

Oh, Luna IS situational, but it's EXCEEDINGLY good in the situations you should be using it. For me it's enough to justify using Canas, even if I do agree with you that Anima magic is way better otherwise.

I understand that. It's just that I feel that dark magic keeps getting worse and worse with each installment. Case in point: Luna - awesome in FE7, nerfed to the point of being pretty much useless in FE8. Oh, and for the record, I do agree that Luna would need to get nerfed.

FE6:

Make Saul a goddamn Monk! Three healers by Chapter 6 is completely overkill and not having an unpromoted Light user makes Aureola useless because Ellen and Saul are NOT getting to S Light easily. I mean, Light magic already sucks as it is.

Well... I'm personally more bothered by the fact that weapons in general have lower accuracy in FE6 relative to the other GBA games (and axes really got the short straw in that regard). Steel Axes and Steel Lances are nearly unusable. And I feel hand axes and javelins are too inaccurate.

Edited by Ein Lanford

I understand that. It's just that I feel that dark magic keeps getting worse and worse with each installment. Case in point: Luna - awesome in FE7, nerfed to the point of being pretty much useless in FE8. Oh, and for the record, I do agree that Luna would need to get nerfed.

I agree, but was Dark magic ever any good, though? FE7 Luna and FE6 Nosferatu might be the only good Dark magic tomes ever if I recall correctly. sleep.gif

Well... I'm personally more bothered by the fact that weapons in general have lower accuracy in FE6 relative to the other GBA games (and axes really got the short straw in that regard). Steel Axes and Steel Lances are nearly unusable. And I feel hand axes and javelins are too inaccurate.

I hate that as well, but when posting I decided I hated the lack of unpromoted Light users more. Yay magic bias gee_wiz_emoticon.gif But I always thought axes were a bit too good after FE7 anyway because they are pretty cheap, strong, and you are rarely bothered by their lower Hit so their even lower Hit in FE6 was kind of fine with me - they are still worth using because of their might and price, but they are not completely superior to swords and lances.

In my opinions axes should be more expensive than lances and swords - it doesn't really matter which of those two is the cheapest though.

I agree, but was Dark magic ever any good, though? FE7 Luna and FE6 Nosferatu might be the only good Dark magic tomes ever if I recall correctly.

FE6 Apocalypse was amazing, too. I mean, yeah, it looks like a generic S rank weapon at first glance, but then you realize that it gives 2-3 more staff range and 30 more staff accuracy, plus it had the highest MT of all S rank tomes, which meant that it just annihilated everything that it hit for effective damage.

I agree, but was Dark magic ever any good, though? FE7 Luna and FE6 Nosferatu might be the only good Dark magic tomes ever if I recall correctly. sleep.gif

I hate that as well, but when posting I decided I hated the lack of unpromoted Light users more. Yay magic bias gee_wiz_emoticon.gif But I always thought axes were a bit too good after FE7 anyway because they are pretty cheap, strong, and you are rarely bothered by their lower Hit so their even lower Hit in FE6 was kind of fine with me - they are still worth using because of their might and price, but they are not completely superior to swords and lances.

In my opinions axes should be more expensive than lances and swords - it doesn't really matter which of those two is the cheapest though.

Well, other than what you mentioned and Apocalypse, no.

IMO, it wasn't until FE9 that axes really started to shine. I feel that the lack of good axe mainers dragged them down in the GBA games. And as for axes' lower hit, excluding legendaries, the most accurate axes only had 65 base hit in FE6...

FE6 Apocalypse was amazing, too. I mean, yeah, it looks like a generic S rank weapon at first glance, but then you realize that it gives 2-3 more staff range and 30 more staff accuracy, plus it had the highest MT of all S rank tomes, which meant that it just annihilated everything that it hit for effective damage.

Well, the extra staff range doesn't really help much unless you're using Niime, since staff rank is hard to raise in FE6. Thus, I consider that a pretty minor point.

Well, other than what you mentioned and Apocalypse, no.

IMO, it wasn't until FE9 that axes really started to shine. I feel that the lack of good axe mainers dragged them down in the GBA games. And as for axes' lower hit, excluding legendaries, the most accurate axes only had 65 base hit in FE6...

But those 65 hit Killer Axes can be pretty devastating on Lance users.

Of course, the main uses I found for axes were Marcus, Zealot, and Dieck. They were all pretty great with Killer Axes. Even with Hand Axes they were definitely functional. Again, particularly on Lance users. And Iron Axes aren't exactly bad, at least on units with good strength.

Iron Axe Marcus tends to have 100% hit early on against lance users. And helps his team-leading durability go from passable to good against lance enemies (yes, I consider most of the other characters to not even have passable durability in early fe6).

Well, the extra staff range doesn't really help much unless you're using Niime, since staff rank is hard to raise in FE6. Thus, I consider that a pretty minor point.

Why wouldn't you use Niime if you are using the status staves or warp? She's the best you are going to get for those things. Anyone else just does worse so why call it a minor point? It makes your best staff user even better.

The only part I hate is trying to get her from A to S Dark to make it possible. That part I find annoying and thus have never actually done.

SD:

- Proper character development for everyone, so I don't have to write stupid fics to give Tomas a personality.

- Support conversations.

- Better reclassing options for females

- SILENCE.

But those 65 hit Killer Axes can be pretty devastating on Lance users.

Of course, the main uses I found for axes were Marcus, Zealot, and Dieck. They were all pretty great with Killer Axes. Even with Hand Axes they were definitely functional. Again, particularly on Lance users. And Iron Axes aren't exactly bad, at least on units with good strength.

Iron Axe Marcus tends to have 100% hit early on against lance users. And helps his team-leading durability go from passable to good against lance enemies (yes, I consider most of the other characters to not even have passable durability in early fe6).

Hmmmm...

The only axe users I used in my one FE6 playthrough were Percival and Noah.

Yeah. FE6 enemies hit like trucks.

Why wouldn't you use Niime if you are using the status staves or warp? She's the best you are going to get for those things. Anyone else just does worse so why call it a minor point? It makes your best staff user even better.

The only part I hate is trying to get her from A to S Dark to make it possible. That part I find annoying and thus have never actually done.

Well... Because my overly conservative instincts get the better of me?

Yeah, that's reason enough for me to not bother.

I thought about Apocalypse being a good Dark tome, but then I also thought

- It's the last divine weapon you get, alongside the Sword of Seals

- You deal enough damage with the other divine weapons anyway

- You need to train one of Ray, Niime or Sophia to actually use it

- Ray is not exactly a top tier unit, and since he joins at Lv12 with C Dark he doesn't get to S Dark that quickly and also he will never have anything beyond D Staff

- Getting Niime to S Dark is an even bigger pain because it means you need to make her fight

- lolsophia

So in my opinion Apocalypse doesn't quite cut it as a good tome situationally (as it's a great tome in itself).