Eliminate Fog of War?

Original Alear

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who's With Me?!

• Yes, eliminate it entirely
    • Make "intel" required to attack, but display unit positions and information
    • Don't change anything

This is going to be dreadfully brief.

Personally I like Fog of War the first time through a game like Fire Emblem. However, after that it just gets annoying, because I can't plan to my fullest ability for a low turncount run unless I look up enemy positions or memorize them in advance, etc. I wouldn't mind having to get "intel" to attack (i.e. move one unit into "vision" range before you can attack with others) but I wish I could have the locations, weapons and stats displayed in chapters with fog of war.

Other people's opinions?

The Fog of War makes you play more defensively because an enemy can attack you before you can even see them. As someone that kinda sucks at playing efficiently, I think that's great, it's a nice change of pace every once in a while.

3 words: Torch Staff Spam, healers need that EXP too badly to have it taken away.

And his main plan would still involve torch staff spam. You still need "vision" in order to attack. It's just that you know where everything is and what they have. And if you need vision, you can increase it with torch.

I just wish my enemies were affected by the damn fog too.

Yeah. That would be nice. Then 8 move pegs and wyverns wouldn't be able to attack at first. At least, not the first guy to charge.

Of course, I'd recommend that torches help everybody see. In other words, if you light up then the enemy can see you. That would add some small amount of strategy to when you torch and when you don't.

I like Fog of War. Especially the DS style Fog of War (best feature of the games, really, even if it only appears ingame in two chapters, one of which is dreadfully short and the other is a massive pain in the ass), which is looking to become a mainstay as it was also in AW: DoR (which actually did have the AI obey the rules of fog... the game was also stupid easy, but not just for that reason)

Edited by Paperblade

I like Fog of War. Especially the DS style Fog of War (best feature of the games, really, even if it only appears ingame in two chapters, one of which is dreadfully short and the other is a massive pain in the ass), which is looking to become a mainstay as it was also in AW: DoR (which actually did have the AI obey the rules of fog... the game was also stupid easy, but not just for that reason)

Did you mean the Gamecube-style FoW? According to Gamefaqs, Path of Radiance has FoW for only 2 chapters ingame, and Shadow Dragon doesn't have FoW ingame, as Wi-Fi/Wireless, the only place where FoW is in Shadow Dragon, doesn't count as "ingame", so if you think the DS style FoW, as opposed to the GCN style FoW, is only possible in 2 ingame chapters, you're sadly mistaken.

Anyway, I prefer to change it in-game to a style similar to Shadow Dragon's style of FoW, and I think that style is better than FoW in other Fire Emblem games, as the enemy has an unfair advantage in FoW in games predating Shadow Dragon, as they can attack through the fog while disregarding how far they are from the unit they intend to attack. However, the "enemy" can't do that if they're too far from their target(same goes for the player), in Shadow Dragon's FoW, but the only enemies in Shadow Dragon's FoW maps are other players(not to mention that you can only access Shadow Dragon's FoW maps in multiplayer mode), so I don't think you can say "all enemies, whether controlled by humans or computer, can't attack through the fog in Shadow Dragon." and expect not to be wrong on your claim.

Edited by shadowjam

My view on Fog of War:

I think that Fog of War was a good, if not great, addition to Fire Emblem, as it made you play more defensively as unless you looked at a FE:WoD map beforehand, you don't know where the enemies are, and making a wrong move could mean that you lose either a unit or a chest item/village(because a thief got to it first, and you couldn't see that thief). And there are ways you can make fog less of an issue. Thieves can see further into fog, and you can use a torch/torch staff to obtain the same effect. Personally, I wish that FoW would go back to it's FE5 variant where you couldn't see the terrain as well as the enemies.

Did you mean the Gamecube-style FoW? According to Gamefaqs, Path of Radiance has FoW for only 2 chapters ingame, and Shadow Dragon doesn't have FoW ingame, as Wi-Fi/Wireless, the only place where FoW is in Shadow Dragon, doesn't count as "ingame", so if you think the DS style FoW, as opposed to the GCN style FoW, is only possible in 2 ingame chapters, you're sadly mistaken.

Anyway, I prefer to change it in-game to a style similar to Shadow Dragon's style of FoW, and I think that style is better than FoW in other Fire Emblem games, as the enemy has an unfair advantage in FoW in games predating Shadow Dragon, as they can attack through the fog while disregarding how far they are from the unit they intend to attack. However, the "enemy" can't do that if they're too far from their target(same goes for the player), in Shadow Dragon's FoW, but the only enemies in Shadow Dragon's FoW maps are other players(not to mention that you can only access Shadow Dragon's FoW maps in multiplayer mode), so I don't think you can say "all enemies, whether controlled by humans or computer, can't attack through the fog in Shadow Dragon." and expect not to be wrong on your claim.

I'm referring to New Mystery, which has fog of war in 13x and 16x, although it's (apparently) the same as the Wifi which was introduced in Shadow Dragon.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm fine with it in most cases, but 4-1 in Radiant Dawn can die. (1-9 barely gets a pass thanks to the black knight.)

Fog of War is not fun when Reinforcements can port anywhere on the map, and you can't see the sparkling warp symbols if you don't have vision there for some reason. Especially that one swordmaster who ports in the blind spot of your camp, and doubles/crits someone who can't take the punishment. First time playing through, there is no way you're going to know about that, even if the thought had crossed your mind.

I like being able to plan ahead with some sort of assurance that there aren't eighteen berserkers with devil axes hiding in that bush. I definitely wouldn't mind it as much if enemies adhered to it, 'though.