Smash made another Exam

Tables

Throw your logic out the window people, it's time for Smash Fanatic's second Radiant Dawn exam!

(Disclaimer: Do not apply your usual reasoning to these problems. Instead, think like Smash Fanatic. Then and only then you might have a chance).

So, I'm posting this here because it's amusing and so people can give it a go. To be fair, some of the questions I can agree with, although most follow Smash's usual logic and presenting opinion as fact methods.

Pretty sure the people who've been here a long time remember the first RD test which came out at least a year ago. So here's midterm 2. Like the first one, it's a basic knowledge test about this game. It shouldn't be too hard. The questions can be answered using simple logic and facts from the game.

I won't post the answers in this topic, since I know people are going to cheat, until no more people want to take the test. I won't post your actual score, since if someone gets a high score (like 10/10), people could just cheat and copy it. However, if you score a 5 or less, I will tell you your score, but if you get something higher I will just say it's "confidential".

Each question assumes hard mode.

Some questions test your knowledge of average stats, enemy stats, etc. There is information on the internet about it. While taking this test, don't cheat by looking it up.

QUESTION 1: Considering performance over the entire game, rank these units from best to worst.

Edward, Leo, Nolan, Sothe, Aran, Meg, Jill, Zihark, Fiona

QUESTION 2: Considering performance over the entire game, rank these units from best to worst.

Titania, Soren, Rolf, Boyd, Oscar, Gatrie, Shinon, Mia, Neph, Brom

QUESTION 3: Considering performance over the entire game, rank these units from best to worst.

Pelleas, Stefan, Oliver, Bastian, Volke, Renning

QUESTION 4: Without BEXP abuse or speedwings, on average, what level does Ike need to be to double the Black Knight in 4-E-2? (round his spd to the nearest whole number).

QUESTION 5: In GM chapters, list the chapters where the number of enemy paladins, sages, generals, and dragonmasters outnumber the number of enemy halberdiers, warriors, and snipers. Ignore 3-P, 3-1, and 3-E. Include reinforcements.

QUESTION 6: In 4-E, what enemies do units with 34 speed double that units with 32-33 speed cannot? Ignore 4-E-2, as well as the snipers in 4-E-1. Include bosses and Nasir's white tide.

QUESTION 7: Of the following units, according to the idea of support points from serenesforest, which of them build a support with Ike the slowest?

Oscar, Soren, Mist, Rhys, Mia, Titania, Boyd

QUESTION 8: Of the following units, according to the idea of support points from serenesforest, which of them build a support with Volug the fastest?

Edward, Nolan, Aran, Zihark, Jill

QUESTION 9: True or False: You should use Ilyana in DB to cart over as many skills and items as you can to the GMs.

QUESTION 10: True or False: Low turn counts is an easy way to measure efficiency.

BONUS QUESTION: Name the 10 manliest PCs in the game.

Before looking at the answers, you should give the quiz a go. Answer either honestly with what you think the answer is, or try to think like Smash and therefore get as many marks as possible.

[spoiler=Answers]QUESTION 1: Considering performance over the entire game, rank these units from best to worst.

Zihark >= Nolan > Sothe > Aran > Jill > Leo > Edward > Meg > Fiona

Subtract 0.5 points if Sothe is above Zihark or Nolan.

Subtract 0.5 points if Jill is above Aran.

Subtract 0.25 points if Edward is above Leo.

Any other mistakes and the problem is incorrect.

QUESTION 2: Considering performance over the entire game, rank these units from best to worst.

Titania > Gatrie > Shinon >= Mia > Oscar > Neph > Boyd > Brom >= Soren > Rolf

Subtract 0.5 points if Mia is above Gatrie

Any other mistakes and the problem is incorrect.

QUESTION 3: Considering performance over the entire game, rank these units from best to worst.

Stefan >= Volke > Bastian >= Oliver > Renning > Pelleas

Any mistakes and the problem is incorrect.

QUESTION 4: Without BEXP abuse or speedwings, on average, what level does Ike need to be to double the Black Knight in 4-E-2? (round his spd to the nearest whole number).

20/20/17. Both lazy averages (e.g. the one at serenesforest) and real averages (e.g. the one at FEplanet) have his spd at 33.7 or 33.75.

No partial credit for this problem.

QUESTION 5: In GM chapters, list the chapters where the number of enemy paladins, sages, generals, and dragonmasters outnumber the number of enemy halberdiers, warriors, and snipers. Ignore 3-P, 3-1, and 3-E. Include reinforcements.

3-2, 3-5, 3-7, 3-8, 3-10, and 3-11.

3-3 is close enough such that if you did or didn't list it, it didn't matter.

There are 8 chapters. Subtract 0.25 points for each incorrect answer. For example, if 3-8 is not listed, -0.25. If 3-4 IS listed, -0.25.

QUESTION 6: In 4-E, what enemies do units with 34 speed double that units with 32-33 speed cannot? Ignore 4-E-2, as well as the snipers in 4-E-1. Include bosses and Nasir's white tide.

Degh

Auras

No partial credit given.

For people that answered spirits, I said to include white tide. 32-33 AS will double with white tide support.

QUESTION 7: Of the following units, according to the idea of support points from serenesforest, which of them build a support with Ike the slowest?

Mia

No partial credit given.

QUESTION 8: Of the following units, according to the idea of support points from serenesforest, which of them build a support with Volug the fastest?

Zihark

no partial credit given.

QUESTION 9: True or False: You should use Ilyana in DB to cart over as many skills and items as you can to the GMs.

False.

no partial credit given.

QUESTION 10: True or False: Low turn counts is an easy way to measure efficiency.

True.

no partial credit given.

You know who the manliest characters are.

Pros: This would be amusing, but. . .

Cons: Never poked at him, so I'd have to guess as to his "logic".

Thus, I can only answer one question.

[spoiler=The tenth one]True, unless it involves him ditching Aran (or some other favored unit).

I lol'ed at:

Aran > Jill

Stefan > Volke

Oliver > Renning

Question 7, as it's just a dig at everyone here who likes MiaxIke.

I also have problems with leo > eddie, but w/e.

Edited by Kevin

Aran > Jill

Stefan > Volke

Oliver > Renning

This is smash.

This one's actually debatable. :/

smash

IIRC this is actually true.

The bonus is obviously Danved by the way. Because he fights like ten men.

Edited by Luka Megurine

I lol'ed at:

Aran > Jill

Stefan > Volke

Oliver > Renning

I also have problems with leo > eddie, but w/e.

Stefan >= Volke

I am pretty sure that means "better than or equal to," which implies either one can be put in front. And that's actually reasonable, as well.

[spoiler=I've never actually finished RD]QUESTION 1: Considering performance over the entire game, rank these units from best to worst.

Jill, Sothe, Nolan, Zihark, Aran, Edward, Leo, Fiona

Titania, Oscar, Mia, Neph, Shinon, Boyd, Soren, Gatrie, Brom, Rolf

Stefan, Bastian, Oliver, Pelleas, Volke, Renning

No idea

Why do I care?

Meh

Rhys, Mia

Zihark

True

True

Haar, Nolan, Volug, Shinon, Mordecai, Muarim, Ranulf, Giffca, Tauroneo, Tibarn

QUESTION 1: Considering performance over the entire game, rank these units from best to worst.

Nolan, Jill, Zihark, Meg, Aran, Sothe, Edward, Leo, Fiona

Titania, Mia, Neph, Gatrie, Rolf, Shinon, Oscar, Brom, Soren, Boyd

Volke, Stefan, Renning, Bastian, Pelklas, Oliver

QUESTION 4: 20/18

QUESTION 5: 3/5 3/7

QUESTION 6: Trueblades, Halbriders, Spirit Whisps

QUESTION 7: Titania

QUESTION 8: Zihark

QUESTION 9: True

QUESTION 10: True

-Ike

-Danved

-Tauroneo

-BK

-Haar

-Mordecai

-Kieran

-Shinon

-Tibarn

-Skrimir

I am pretty sure that means "better than or equal to," which implies either one can be put in front. And that's actually reasonable, as well.

I can understand equal, but if you had to choose which one was better, 9 times out of ten people would say Volke (hopefully). That 1 time is smash.

IIRC this is actually true.

It's true, but it's only purpose was to dig at everyone here who supports the support.

It's true, but it's only purpose was to dig at everyone here who supports the support.

Such is the Nature of Smash<tm>. He can't win the argument through the front door, the back door, the window, or the heating duct, so he'll fight via implication. Unfortunately for him, it usually backfires, since pointing out the support speed and suggesting that it makes any practical difference, just highlights how backwards his priorities are.

All systems normal.

Edited by Interceptor

Such is the Nature of Smash<tm>. He can't win the argument through the front door, the back door, the window, or the heating duct, so he'll fight via implication. Unfortunately for him, it usually backfires, since pointing out the support speed and suggesting that it makes any practical difference, just highlights how backwards his priorities are.

All systems normal.

Maybe he's advocating Mist or Rhys, since a 00 (Mist) or a 01 with staves (Rhys) are the only things that make a massive difference in chapters per support level. There's a funny thought. Of course, that suggestion comes with its own problems, so it's not really any better for him.

Maybe he's advocating Mist or Rhys, since a 00 (Mist) or a 01 with staves (Rhys) are the only things that make a massive difference in chapters per support level. There's a funny thought. Of course, that suggestion comes with its own problems, so it's not really any better for him.

Well durability is important when we'd be using their offense on the frontlines! I mean if we're using them, we might as well use them seriously like everyone else, right? So it's important Rhys gets a water support, and just so happens...

Derpderpaderpderp.

Well durability is important when we'd be using their offense on the frontlines! I mean if we're using them, we might as well use them seriously like everyone else, right? So it's important Rhys gets a water support, and just so happens...

Derpderpaderpderp.

Rhys x Ike or Mist x Ike. Not Rhys x Mist.

Ike has a 00 with Mist and a 01 with Rhys (and Rhys has staves).

I can understand equal, but if you had to choose which one was better, 9 times out of ten people would say Volke (hopefully). That 1 time is smash.

I disagree. It really depends on your values and how you judge units. In an optimal deployment setting, for example, neither make it to Endgame. Therefore, Stefan wins by way of his map being Rout instead of Kill Boss, meaning anything he kills aids completion while Volke's sole 4-5 can be cleared just as easily with or without him.

Stefan also has a potentially better affinity. The two are close enough in combat that I can definitely understand someone choosing Stefan over Volke.

And I don't even really get where you're coming from with saying "that 1 time is smash." Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the >= sign meant either one could be better than the other, meaning he doesn't really have a definite opinion of his own which is the superior unit. If anything, Stefan coming first in the list was just by random chance. I'm not smash, so I might be wrong, but that's how I saw it.

Considering the slow, plodding pace that smash sets for Hard mode runs, you're probably right. Mist or Rhys would be dinging to a new support rank nearly every chapter. I am, naturally, a strong advocate for IkexMist, but only because it's hysterical.

I disagree. It really depends on your values and how you judge units. In an optimal deployment setting, for example, neither make it to Endgame. Therefore, Stefan wins by way of his map being Rout instead of Kill Boss, meaning anything he kills aids completion while Volke's sole 4-5 can be cleared just as easily with or without him.

Stefan also has a potentially better affinity. The two are close enough in combat that I can definitely understand someone choosing Stefan over Volke.

And I don't even really get where you're coming from with saying "that 1 time is smash." Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the >= sign meant either one could be better than the other, meaning he doesn't really have a definite opinion of his own which is the superior unit. If anything, Stefan coming first in the list was just by random chance. I'm not smash, so I might be wrong, but that's how I saw it.

Personally, I consider Stefan a hassle to recruit in 4-3, a distasteful task that requires me to take my attention away from Routing, and he's so far into the map that his I-move-two-spaces-max 1-range offense is only slightly more useful for completion than an empty slot. Volke is hardly necessary in 4-5, but he's dead easy to get and does at least contribute towards clearing traffic jams.

Anyway, unless smash came up with his own meaning for symbols, "A >= B" should mean that A is either better than or equal to B. If there's a circumstance where B should be better, he ought to use something like "~=", aka approximately equal to, suggesting that there are factors or situations where either one could be better than the other, but that they are roughly on par.

I completely disagree. Volke can Shove to help 1-turn 4-5. Stefan isn't likely to even fight anything.

Edited by nflchamp

I completely disagree. Volke can Shove to help 1-turn 4-5. Stefan isn't likely to even fight anything.

You have plenty of unit slots to get an extra Shove out of. Stefan can be recruited, move two spaces south, and be in range of a few enemies already. There are Dragonlords in the bottom right corner he can handle to free up your other units.

I find that Stefan generally can't reach many enemies in 4-3. Just too slow. Never really had a problem with recruiting him, it's not like Micaiah has anything better to do and that side of the map is pretty empty.

Bastian and Volke only have a 1 CON difference. I highly doubt that a single extra point of CON is going to make any difference at all.

I find that Stefan generally can't reach many enemies in 4-3. Just too slow. Never really had a problem with recruiting him, it's not like Micaiah has anything better to do and that side of the map is pretty empty.

Bastian and Volke only have a 1 CON difference. I highly doubt that a single extra point of CON is going to make any difference at all.

Bastian is busy spending his time ORKOing a Tiger next to Izuka, so he's a non-factor.

READ # 8!

Here are my answers: (assuming no transfers)

1: Sothe, Nolan, Zihark, Jill, Aran, Edward, Leo, Meg, Fiona.

2: Titania, Mia, Shinon, Gatrie, Oscar, Nephenee, Boyd, Brom, Soren, Rolf

3: Volke, Renning, Bastian, Oliver, Pelleas

Did not rank Stefan because I don't really remember his stats at all.

4: Fuck that.

5: Wut.

6: The only answer I know is auras.

7: Fuck you.

8: "You see, no one's going to help you Bubby, because there isn't anybody out there to do it. No one. We're all just complicated arrangements of atoms and subatomic particles - we don't live. But our atoms do move about in such a way as to give us identity and consciousness. We don't die; our atoms just rearrange themselves. There is no God. There can be no God; it's ridiculous to think in terms of a superior being. An inferior being, maybe, because we, we who don't even exist, we arrange our lives with more order and harmony than God ever arranged the earth. We measure; we plot; we create wonderful new things. We are the architects of our own existence. What a lunatic concept to bow down before a God who slaughters millions of innocent children, slowly and agonizingly starves them to death, beats them, tortures them, rejects them. What folly to even think that we should not insult such a God, damn him, think him out of existence. It is our duty to think God out of existence. It is our duty to insult him. Fuck you, God! Strike me down if you dare, you tyrant, you non-existent fraud! It is the duty of all human beings to think God out of existence. Then we have a future. Because then - and only then - do we take full responsibility for who we are. And that's what you must do, Bubby: think God out of existence; take responsibility for who you are."

9: False, but there are things you should cart over. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I normally fill Ilyana's inventory or not.

10: True

Edited by SeverIan