Silly mistakes you've made in FE?

Darros

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.Didn't recruit Haar the first time I played FE10 because I thought he would appear again on another map.

.Miscalculating damages.

.Bad positioning that results in people getting killed.

.Pressing the wrong command and waste a turn for the unit.

First PT of POR, I missed Jill. Yes, the character who recruits herself. I had a very defensive formation.

I did something just about as stupid with Jill. In the first chapter where she was, I thought she was recruitable (at that point it had been established that most of the time if the character had a face and wasn't a boss, they could be yours), so I sent every single character I had towards her and needless to say... found no talk command. And then I killed her off, assuming this was like another Nedata. Aaaaand of course she didn't show up the next chapter.

As for other mistakes, the more I play FE, the less I make--however, the first playthrough was hilarious.

I knew literally nothing about fire emblem. For whatever reason I switched the pre-battle screen to detailed (so it'd show my attack power and their defense and I'd have to calculate). I abused Marcus. I didn't recruit a lot of the characters. Worst of all? At first I thought it was a timing game: if you pressed A at the correct time, you would land a hit. If you didn't, you wouldn't.

I got to the chapter with Limstella and could go no further. Or maybe it was I went to the final and then found Athos wasn't enough to carry the team on his own (or maybe he was, but I didn't have enough strategy at that point.)

Amazingly enough I think I got a D rank. Which means you must have to fail /really/ hard to get an E rank.

I moved Oswin with 1 HP to attack a boss. He missed twice, and I didn't see a silver sword on the guy. Needless to say, RAGE!!!

And then there was the time I used Jagen, Marth, and Bord. Although unbelievably, I won.

At some point I was streaming Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn using manycam with no video splitter, the screen size was about the size of a PSP screen, I attacked a dragon with Sanaki, thinking the dragon only did 33 damage, leaving Sanaki with 1 HP, and I could just heal her with Calill, but I misread the tiny print and it was really 37 and Sanaki got one-shotted by a 23% Red Dragon Breath, that was just fail, although it wasn't as bad as Levail using Impale on Mr. Lion King and only doing something like 20 damage, even with the Wishblade

Edited by Trueblade

I got greedy in Path of Radiance and decided to boss abuse with Rolf on Chapter 16. Gained about 3 levels, and then got criticaled by the boss (who only had 1% crit). I have not boss abused since.

I gave Soren Flare in FE9, and removed adept =_=. FLARE DOES NOTHING IN THAT GAME, it's so damn pointless,

I did something just about as stupid with Jill. In the first chapter where she was, I thought she was recruitable (at that point it had been established that most of the time if the character had a face and wasn't a boss, they could be yours), so I sent every single character I had towards her and needless to say... found no talk command.

Um, you realize that fe9 and fe10 tell you all the conversations you can have between your allies and the enemy. Just go through the unit list before starting the chapter, see who can talk and then bring them. Ta-da. You probably still would've killed her, but at least you wouldn't have wasted time trying to see if anyone could talk to her.

I got greedy in Path of Radiance and decided to boss abuse with Rolf on Chapter 16. Gained about 3 levels, and then got criticaled by the boss (who only had 1% crit). I have not boss abused since.

I gave Soren Flare in FE9, and removed adept =_=. FLARE DOES NOTHING IN THAT GAME, it's so damn pointless,

Not nothing. Just almost nothing on most physical units. For units that have 4 res, getting their res cut in half is almost meaningless.

Um, you realize that fe9 and fe10 tell you all the conversations you can have between your allies and the enemy. Just go through the unit list before starting the chapter, see who can talk and then bring them. Ta-da. You probably still would've killed her, but at least you wouldn't have wasted time trying to see if anyone could talk to her.

Jill doesn't start on the map in Chapter 11, so you can only check that with the units you deployed.

Jill doesn't start on the map in Chapter 11, so you can only check that with the units you deployed.

But that still means that he could check what he had there on the unit list. From the sounds of it, he sent every unit up adjacent to her to see if the "talk" command appeared.

It halves resistance. Though I believe that masteries in Path of Radiance aside from Sol and Aether were pretty underpowered anyhow.

Edited by Malik Maxwell

It halves resistance. Though I believe that masteries in Path of Radiance aside from Sol and Aether were pretty underpowered anyhow.

I should have made this clearer. It does nothing functionally due to enemies having next to no resistance.

But that still means that he could check what he had there on the unit list. From the sounds of it, he sent every unit up adjacent to her to see if the "talk" command appeared.

I think that if the enemy/ally unit in question isn't on the field at the start of the map, you can't see what conversations they can have. It just doesn't come up very often (Haar is technically on the field during Ch23 Preparation).

I think that if the enemy/ally unit in question isn't on the field at the start of the map, you can't see what conversations they can have. It just doesn't come up very often (Haar is technically on the field during Ch23 Preparation).

When she appears, if there is a convo it will appear in the unit list. It won't appear in the start of the map prep unit list, but that's no excuse for sending everyone you've got deployed adjacent to Jill and see if the "talk" command appears. This isn't fe4 to 8 where they don't tell you anything about convos with enemy units.

Well, I did it. I saved Leonardo. I decided to load the game 100 times and hopefully the cat would miss one of those times. Fortunately, the cat missed on load #25. Then Leonardo went and killed it and leveled up in everything except magic and resistance. You're welcome, Leo.

I also find myself forgetting about enemies like this, often (though I'm usually not trapped in a save like this time). Like, I'll clean up one area of the map, think, "Ah, that's good. Can't stop me, losers!" then go on and end the phase and some archer or something will pop out of nowhere and kill someone I've left unguarded.

Having Joshua go up to Aias and forgetting about Aias's SwordSlayer. Poor Joshua.

One of the first times i played RD, Marcia got a face full of crossbow cuz i didnt realize there was quite a few of those jokers in 2-E.

First playthrough on RD. Oh this was bad. I had one too many skills on Ike and when he promoted, Nihil was the one that got left off. I think i ended up selling the scroll or something. I couldnt put Nihil back on him for some reason. I had to start over because he kept getting raped by the BK.

Um, you realize that I didn't know that back then.

Since FE8/7 didn't have that function, naturally I didn't think to check if FE9/10 did.

Edited by Lux Aeterna

Mainly along the lines of letting certain characters stay dead on my first completion of Hector Hard Mode. Including Marcus! Restarts galore until I thought "fuck it", ugh. No longer, though. Nowadays, I can even barrel through most of Thracia 776's first two-thirds without restarting due to loss of characters/items except for chapters 10 and 14 (very possibly gaidens 8 and 14 as well).

Nanna vs. 16A boss

Even for a newb, why Nanna? As the female half of the Charismatic duo, she distinctly focuses on avoid for durability, with her earth sword as an extra safety net. Her HP+defense are generally superior combined to a lot of the tome handlers to say nothing of certain lousy units (Ronan? Shanam? etc.), and that's about it. Even with maxed avoid and bonuses for that statistic, Brook hits like a truck. He can easily obliterate your most durable characters like your cavalry and axe armor if you give him the chance.

Why not leave him to infantry like hero Othin/Halvan/Machua?

Even for a newb, why Nanna? As the female half of the Charismatic duo, she distinctly focuses on avoid for durability, with her earth sword as an extra safety net. Her HP+defense are generally superior combined to a lot of the tome handlers to say nothing of certain lousy units (Ronan? Shanam? etc.), and that's about it. Even with maxed avoid and bonuses for that statistic, Brook hits like a truck. He can easily obliterate your most durable characters like your cavalry and axe armor if you give him the chance.

Why not leave him to infantry like hero Othin/Halvan/Machua?

"oh no i forgot master lance was 1-2 range"

I have butterfingers.

I sometimes accidently end my turn before doing everything I needed to. Like in FE10, I skipped a turn, which left a sleeping Gatrie to die and I was just angry because I have to restart because my hand slipped while ordering characters.

I also make a few tactical errors, like take more turns than I need during a draft or rank run.

Waiting with staff users in FE5, it's the worst. Rescue chains can get screwed up too. "Oops I just picked up the healer that hadn't moved yet with a fighting unit."

One of my best moves was on my FE11 low turn warpless run. I forged an amazing and costly Dragonpike for my Paladins in the final chapter so they could ORKO Medeus. Only to notice that they did not, in fact, ORKO Medeus...I had forgotten to take the throne bonus into account.

One of my best moves was on my FE11 low turn warpless run. I forged an amazing and costly Dragonpike for my Paladins in the final chapter so they could ORKO Medeus. Only to notice that they did not, in fact, ORKO Medeus...I had forgotten to take the throne bonus into account.

LOLshinygreen30speedcap. He manages to be even worse in the sequel, for what it's worth. Not sure how that's possible, since he's not parked on the actual throne that time, IIRC. You basically have to pray for a Falchion critical plus regular hit to finish him in one turn - Marth only - but it's all too possible to do so on the first turn warpless!

I'm still not convinced Medeus the almighty dark dragon poses a challenge otherwise compared to say, the climactic FE4/5/7 boss rush sums or antagonists with skills in FE10's endgame.

I'm still not convinced Medeus the almighty dark dragon poses a challenge otherwise compared to say, the climactic FE4/5/7 boss rush sums or antagonists with skills in FE10's endgame.

I don't know what you mean.

Lekain: lol, gets 1-rounded by Caineghis and Giffca

Levail: lol, can be killed by base Sanaki

Dheginsea: can be killed on first turn with Ena + Royals

Sephiran: gets 1-rounded by Giffca, only problem is killing his little friends

Ashera: tougher but still easily doable in two turns

FE7: I didn't leave Eliwood near the starting position in the map where you recruit Vaida. She ended up killing half my team. And in the previous few chapters, Ursula and Sonia forced me to restart a bunch of times due to Bolting...