Final Fantasy VI Tier List

Don Draper

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No grinding or anything like that.

Wouldn't that mean that Gau hardly gets any rages to fight with? As far as I know, Gau is regarded as being as good as he his because of his rages and the ability to equip a snow scarf - but aquiring rages requires grinding. Lots of it, in fact, especially if you want to get a lot of them. And honestly, without good rages, Gau is rather worthless.

I also question whether Locke stealing some stuff and then hardly existing in the WOR justifies him being above Relm, who can be a magical nuke once she starts getting a few spells (Bio does nice damage and is taught pretty quickly). Then again, I might be biased towards Relm on that one, so take that with a grain of salt.

Gau and Shadow to switch places.

Gau has huge availability over Shadow in the WoB. He also takes very little effort to be made effective for the entire WoB. Just look at the rages:

Narshe Battle Sequence - If you find Guard Leader, you're a lucky man since Gau will now destroy everything alive. Alacran (very easy to find) neuters Kefka even worse than Runic since it sets Stop. Lesser Lopros still does the job if you don't find Guard Leader.

Zozo - Aspiran and Anguiform. That is all.

IMRF - Aspiran and Anguiform. That is all.

Esper Caves - Anguiform is still awesome but Chimera is a non-blind version of it.

Floating Continent - If it's on the ground, Litwor Chicken has Quake (full party healing with Gaia Gear too). If it's floating, take your pick. If you're facing multiple enemies that don't have ID protection, whip out Briarius for Cyclone.

Honestly, the possibilities are endless here. This alone is enough to make Gau better than Shadow.

Sabin > Mog imo. Sabin is around for the vast majority of the game and is a good party choice for several parts that require splits (Zozo, Magitek Factory, Cave to the Sealed Gate). He has some of the highest single-target damage for quite some time (although you can't control it, sadly) and decent AoE damage with Fire Dance/Air Blade once he learns them. He's also the first to rejoin in the World of Ruin assuming you're playing normally.

What does Mog really do that sets him apart?

EDIT: If it's the moogle charm, I'm not sure I would tier it.

Edited by Silvercrow

Sabin > Mog imo. Sabin is around for the vast majority of the game and is a good party choice for several parts that require splits (Zozo, Magitek Factory, Cave to the Sealed Gate). He has some of the highest single-target damage for quite some time (although you can't control it, sadly) and decent AoE damage with Fire Dance/Air Blade once he learns them. He's also the first to rejoin in the World of Ruin assuming you're playing normally.

Mog's 5 levels ahead of the party average when he joins and Dance murders everything that it touches for the rest of the WoB. Especially since a lot of the stuff hits MT and it's hilariously easy to pick up most of his dances.

WoR, Dragoon Boots + Dragon Horn + Holy Lance is hilarious. We're talking about matching Sabin's damage at the worst, usually beating it and being immune to attacks at the same time.

Rest of WoB being... what, Cave to the Sealed Gate and Floating Continent? I don't even remember if you get him for the cave, he joins pretty late iirc. This is compared to everything from the Lete River onwards, including the longest and most combat-heavy of the three scenarios in the route split.

I understand that Mog is better by the end of the game, but Sabin still isn't BAD and early on he's almost like a second Edgar.

Gau doesn't even need that many rages, and he gets great ones early on. I forget which one it was but Gau is your earliest Bolt 2 user if you let him, and I know Stray Cat is easy to get and fairly powerful.

Sabin belongs in top tier. You probably put him elsewhere because you put too much weight on his still decent late game performance (without assuming esper use!) not being as epic as, you know, 80% of the rest of the game.

Max defense setup, naturally learns Bolt series, and is a Lance user. Regardless, Mid tier. Moogle Charm is more of a speed run item than an efficiency item, IMO.

Gau and Shadow to switch places.

I would reason with the rest of your post, but lets remember that Gau's basic entire premise for Rage essentially requires grinding just to find the enemies you want. I'm actually surprised to see he's that high up above Strago. Not to say Strago should be above him though, Gau at least has some decent starting rages for WoB.

EDIT: As a note FE3 Player, his two most notable rages are Stray Cat as you mentioned, and Templar with his Fire 2

Edited by Amaterasu

Gau>Shadow definitely seems like it has some merit, although I'm a bit hesitant due to the manner in which he's built up. You do have to do some grinding in the Veldt in order to get his better rages. Are some enemies more likely to appear then others?

Hmm...I'm not actually sure about that. If it were more frequent that the enemies of the latest place you visited showed up more often on the Veldt, then I'd actually be somewhat lenient with my original scorn (takes a bit of time, but not that painful). Is it's NOT the case, then no way in hell.

EDIT: As a note FE3 Player, his two most notable rages are Stray Cat as you mentioned, and Templar with his Fire 2
There is a phantom train enemy that grants Bolt 2, and I remember that encounter being common. I could be wrong, though.

I'm fairly sure, this is PE, that in the veldt, certain characters appear more often than others.

As i was playing recently, i went to get some rages (just recruited Gau), and the zombie soldiers (forgot name) appeared once, bombs appeared 2 give or take, and the guard leader didn't appear at all, while alacran, scorpions, guards, the dogs, and the mammoths in the beginning were pretty common.

I'm fairly sure, this is PE, that in the veldt, certain characters appear more often than others.

As i was playing recently, i went to get some rages (just recruited Gau), and the zombie soldiers (forgot name) appeared once, bombs appeared 2 give or take, and the guard leader didn't appear at all, while alacran, scorpions, guards, the dogs, and the mammoths in the beginning were pretty common.

It's sort of based on an RNG but at the same time, it isn't. I'm too lazy to dig out the Rage Guide but Narga posted a link to it in my thread. Like first 10 posts.

Gau>Shadow definitely seems like it has some merit, although I'm a bit hesitant due to the manner in which he's built up. You do have to do some grinding in the Veldt in order to get his better rages. Are some enemies more likely to appear then others?

I wonder why more people don't check gamefaqs? oh well

Slayer X has the right link. And the right section (Jump to 6.2).

A short summary, basically, is that there are "packs" of monster formations, and each time you fight a battle it is a random encounter from a pack. The next battle on the veldt will be from the next pack. The next battle from the next. And so on. There are tricks with an emulator for the snes version that allow you to quickly get whichever rage you want by repeatedly fighting the same pack until the monster formation you want from that pack appears, but if there is a way to do something similar for the psx or gba versions I don't know where to find that info online.

For the GBA, I'm assuming that the game picks a random point in the cycle each time you load a save, but at least if you have the list you'll know if you are anywhere near what you want. If you aren't, reload and see if you are close to what you want.

Don't forget to write down which rages Gau starts with. I'm not sure if that list is variable or not. I think it includes Templar (Fire2) and Stray Cat (Catscratch), so he doesn't even need to leap those.

Marshal (Wind Slash) and Dark Side (Ice 2) are two other cool ones. Just have to fail the walking challenge in Terra's scenario to get a Dark Side fight. Ghost (Bolt 2) is in the phantom train, so you can get that too. All 3 -ara spells before the Narshe Battle Sequence, plus Wind Slash.

Wind Slash is fantastic, since it has 48 power but no split damage. Fire2 has 60 power, so on a single target it is stronger. But on multiple targets it only has 30. Much weaker. Ice2 is the strongest -ara with 62. Still only 31 on multiples. Oh, and wind slash is unblockable. Technically, the -ara spells can miss. It just doesn't happen very often.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

I question the accuracy of the faq for starting rages, is all.

And you could try to avoid a couple of the formations in the Marshal group. Ditto Dark Side. Those encounters only appear in the veldt if you met them before in the real world. And one of the encounters in the ghost group is impossible to meet before you first reach the veldt. It's a battle from the serpent trench. 4 out of 7, even if you get all of the other battles. And Heavy Armor is Locke's scenario (I forget is it anywhere else?). Though I guess there might be some things worth meeting in his scenario and so you might want to go there first.

Why do all the characters in the WoR need to be recruited when you can just bullrush Kefka's tower the moment we hit 6 guys? Its pretty damn easy to Joker Death the shit in the way of two of the party's in Kefka's tower, while the other can just vanish/doom their share.

Edited by General Spoon

Most of the easy to get characters in WoR are top tier and high tier, so their availability there can be easily reflected in tier position.

What Rages you want may also depend on weaknesses of upcoming enemies. I remember Bolt 2 being useful for weakness hitting in Vector, but I'm not sure where Ice 2 and Fire 2 could apply and if they apply better.

EDIT: Also consider that Esper grinding also takes a long time when considering time it takes to get Gau's rages.

Edited by Super FE3 Player

Why is Edgar above Terra? He doesn't get access to Drill or Chainsaw when you first get him but Terra gets to use magic from the start. And in the WoR, she gets to Trance and destroy everything!

Also, Relm above Locke because Relm has that giant Magic stat to hurt enemies with.

I'm definitely feeling Edgar > Terra. Tools are just too good. Auto-crossbow is as good as multi-target Fire in the beginning, if not better. He can change weaknesses of enemies to anything you want which is great for adapting to your elemental using characters or elemental weapons. His Tools come without needing to level up and most of them are great at dispatching random encounters.

He also has more availability. He's around when Terra is stuck in bed during the Zozo and Opera parts of the game and is around for a good part of forced WoR.

Edited by Super FE3 Player