Anyone here ever read macbeth?

Zanarkin

Okay so i'm supposed to do a debate for next wednesday.

The topic: Lady Macbeth is responsible for macbeth turning to murder.

My side: Negative, macbeth was responsible for turning to murder not his wife.

I need, ideas, I have 2 so far, you are responsible for your own actions and he killed others without need for his wife's constant nagging

Any ideas anyone I don't expect a serious answer... It'd be cool if you guys debate it though. :awesome:

If it was really about the constant nagging he would've killed that bitch first. I'm sure the teacher would be super impressed if you said that.

Sorry you are incorrect, Macbeth was not responsible for turning to murder

Because a lawyer is always on the winning side.

He is a slave to a variety of events predating and therefore influencing his actions, as are all things.

here is the things remember the withces? They say something like we may set up a storm, but ultimately, its the captain that sinks the ship.

Because a lawyer is always on the winning side.

here is the things remember the withces?

Not really. Actually I remember in the movie the really old naked chicks a little bit, but not anything they said.

They say something like we may set up a storm, but ultimately, its the captain that sinks the ship.

Right, but simply because someone is ultimately the one that commits the act, does that inevitably entail responsibility? Or simply sad happenstance?

Edited by SeverIan

You are responsible for your own actions. If somebody tells you to go kill someone, and insist on you doing it, and you do it, then you are the one at fault for commiting murder (lets say the person had nothing to threaten you with like Lady Macbeth).

You are responsible for your own actions. If somebody tells you to go kill someone, and insist on you doing it, and you do it, then you are the one at fault for commiting murder (lets say the person had nothing to threaten you with like Lady Macbeth).

Dude, Lady Macbeth could totally slit Macbeth's throat in the middle of the night. That's pretty threatening to a paranoid person who's like, afraid of moving trees.

EDIT-It's been a while since I read Macbeth. I hope he's not an insomniac or something.

Edited by SeverIan

He actually has trouble sleeping apparently, also, i doubt lady macbeth could kill Macbeth, she didn't kill Duncan because "he looked like her father" and we know she was scared of commiting murder too, so really i doubt she would have killed macbeth. Plus there really is no reason for her to kill macbeth for not killing the king.

Edited by SlayerX

But remember also MacBeth did not initially plan to kill the king or whoever he killed iirc. (its been such a long time since I read that) It was Lady Macbeth who became greedy and made the plan to murder him. MacBeth was just a victim of circumstance and knowing his own fate.

This probably isn't helping you but as far as characters in literature go, I hate lady Macbeth.

Also doesn't she start to feel really guilty at some point? Maybe thats MacBeth.

Edited by Strawman the SawmanShaman

Actually Macbeth had been contemplating, flirting with the idea. It scared him, but that doesn't mean he didn't think about it. Plus he killed Macduff's family without Lady macbeth telling him. And i think he killed Banquo because he suspected him, not because his wife told himn it was a good idea.

here is the things remember the withces? They say something like we may set up a storm, but ultimately, its the captain that sinks the ship.

Uh, I'm 95% sure the passage you're talking about doesn't mean that. At all. I think that's the part where the witches are talking about how some bitch made one of the witches mad, so she fucked over the bitches husband.

Uh, I'm 95% sure the passage you're talking about doesn't mean that. At all. I think that's the part where the witches are talking about how some bitch made one of the witches mad, so she fucked over the bitches husband.

According to my teacher the witch meant that when she said the tempest toss'd thing.

First Witch: I myself have all the other,

And the very ports they blow,

All the quarters that they know

I' the shipman's card.

I will drain him dry as hay:

Sleep shall neither night nor day

Hang upon his pent-house lid;

He shall live a man forbid:

Weary se'n nights nine times nine

Shall he dwindle, peak and pine:

Though his bark cannot be lost,

Yet it shall be tempest-tost.

Look what I have.

According to my teacher the witch meant that when she said the tempest toss'd thing.

First Witch: I myself have all the other,

And the very ports they blow,

All the quarters that they know

I' the shipman's card.

I will drain him dry as hay:

Sleep shall neither night nor day

Hang upon his pent-house lid;

He shall live a man forbid:

Weary se'n nights nine times nine

Shall he dwindle, peak and pine:

Though his bark cannot be lost,

Yet it shall be tempest-tost.

Look what I have.

I think your teacher is wrong. :P

Also doesn't she start to feel really guilty at some point? Maybe thats MacBeth.

She does freak out at the sight of blood on her hands. And she's also talking about not being wholly satisfied due to what does happen to her after Duncan is killed. Shouldn't that tell you something?

She still wasn't the one to kill him. It was Macbeth that did. Plus she also starts talking about Banquo and Macduff, eventhough she said nothing during the play about them aside from bringing Macbeth back to Earth when he was losing it about Banquo.

You could make a comparison to American Pie: The Naked Mile and say that he was the one who killed his nan, not the people he was watching on TV at the time who helped "persuade" him to make that killing shot

Does this sentence sound okay?

Today me and my partner will be arguing against lady's macbeth responsibility for macbeth turning to murder.

Edited by SlayerX